Completed [The Midnight Gem] Becoming More Immersed III

Kelski delves deeper into Architectrix.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Midnight Gem] Becoming More Immersed III

Postby Kelski on November 3rd, 2019, 3:56 am

Timestamp - 64th of Spring, 519 A.V.

Kelski gazed long and hard at Gilthas and he returned her look. They were both uncertain about what they were going to do next. It wasn’t the uncertainty of the path ahead, it was more the uncertainty of whether this was a good idea or not.

It’s a good idea. It’s a very very good idea.

The Gem assured both of them, flooding Kelski’s mind with her eagerness and certainty. The emotions the building was experiencing tipped Kelski’s opinion over the edge and she nodded with conviction, stepping forward to draw Pitch. Luckily, her dagger was not poisoned at the moment, a condition she normally remedied when she went into battle or just walked the streets of Sunberth. Instead, the dark blade gleamed, eager for blood, as she cut her own palms. The wounds were probably not necessary but Kelski liked the blood involved and wanted her blood on The Gem as both her and her Djedfather advanced.

Flanking the hearth in the main living area, Kelski and Gilthas advanced on either side. Following her lead, Gilthas bloodied his own palms as well, and they were soon enough laying their flesh on the stone of the hearth. Kelski exhaled hard, spewing out a glittering gas that was tinged with purple and blue dancing glitter. She inhaled, filled her lungs with air, and expelled more Res, slowing and certainly building up a cloud of it around her. She directed her breath towards the stones of the hearth and closed the flue on the chimney. Then she exhaled again, pushing the cloud of Res away from her and forcing it into the gaping maw of The Gem’s fireplace. Inhaling, she took a breath, exhaling she produced Res… over and over again.

Gilthas watched her curiously, and then did what she did. The Gem had no flesh and thus no easy way to get Res into her system, but with the flue closed and the hearth isolated… it was a close approximation of a human inhaling Res into their lungs. The older mage was certain Kelski wouldn’t have enough Res on her own, so his deeper red and purple hued gas joined hers and together the inundated the building with their power.

Kelski was used to doing things with Gilthas. The pair studied a great deal of magic together and often bounced ideas off one another. But combining Res to ignite what was, in essence, a Res Storm in another being was an intimate act. She could feel Gilthas’ willingness to take the building on as part of his Djedline. His magic tasted of acceptance and was spiced with a sort of welcome Kelski hoped her magic also reflected. But in truth, her own power was more laced with encouragement, acceptance, and the knowledge she knew The Gem could do this. It was hinting at the pride of a parent and the satisfaction of helping another being better itself.

Res poured forth, doubled and mixed, igniting the djed the building already had and teaching it to transmute itself into a new Res of its own. Kelski knew it worked when a Res that was neither hers nor Gilthas’ washed backward out of the fireplace. Both herself and Gilthas jumped sideways, breaking the contact, as she felt and saw the swirl of bright orange and green Res pass by them then suck back up the hearth as if The Gem herself was breathing. Kelski gasped, seeing the water and earth swirl around it. The motion itself reminded her of air, but it was all in conflict as if the Element itself was choosing The Gem.

Kelski waited, her eyes flicking between The Gem and Gilthas, who looked on curiously as if he’d never thought of doing this with another living creature that wasn’t a biped. The Gem struggled, the Elements at war within her, until finally one dominated and the hearth burped flames before igniting the actual firewood stacked there all on its own.

Word Count 662
Last edited by Kelski on November 3rd, 2019, 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelski on November 3rd, 2019, 4:14 am

“Fire!” Kelski exclaimed, bouncing slightly and clasping her hands together. She reached out then and hugged Gilthas who laughed and returned her hug before his face took on a serious expression. “You’ll need to teach her. You can’t give her this power then leave her without instruction. Drill her, help her build it, and realize its good practice for anyone else you end up inducting into Reimancy.” Gilthas said, studying Kelski intently as if he was holding her to his demand.

“I will. Knowing The Gem, she’ll want to….” Kelski started to say before The Gem’s triumphant voice interrupted hers in her mind.

I want to know everything!

Kelski laughed, nodded, and repeated for Gilthas. “I was right. She wants to know everything.” The Kelvic said with a laugh, really pleased with what was in essence her child’s success. Could inducting an Architectrix into Reimancy prove fatal to the buildings like they could to some people? Kelski wasn’t sure, though it seemed to her that despite the trouble and the conflict of elements, The Gem managed to take on the Res relatively easy.

Gilthas wrapped his arm around the Kelvic and gave her a fatherly squeeze. “I’m proud of you. Both of you. This was something I would have never thought about doing, but I can see how valuable it will be. She won’t be vulnerable to fire if she gets a good handle on it. But she’ll need to practice so she learns control fast. I wouldn’t start out big, either, like with her hearths and such. Provide candles for her to light and control. One at first … then add more as she learns control.” Gilthas advised, wanting to see this experimental situation work out.

Kelski nodded solemnly. “I promise. We’ll practice together. I need work on my own Reimancy myself. So, if we do this, and we do it together, we’ll grow together. I’ll make time every day to work with her until she’s comfortable and confident.” Kelski promised, knowing that she could do it and it wouldn’t just be helping The Gem. She’d be helping herself as well.

Gilthas nodded. “That’s good… very good. Now… you promised me food. Let’s fuel up, rest the remainder of the night, and you and her can start practicing tomorrow.” He said, offering Kelski a tentative schedule.

Kelski nodded, went to fetch the cold cuts of meat from the ice box and slice some bread and cheese. She would make them both a sandwich. After they ate, Gilthas said goodnight and promised to check on her in a day or two and see how The Gem was progressing. Kelski, glad that her experiment worked, headed back to her room… the exhaustion overwhelming her.

No more tonight? Tomorrow we will practice though, right?

Kelski smiled. “Yes, tomorrow first thing. We both need to rest first. You never push magic. You work into it gently. I’ll see you in the morning, Gem. And we’ll practice with a candle like Gilthas suggested first thing. Don’t use it without me, not at first, okay? I need your promise.” The Kelvic promised, more than happy to indulge the building its need to play with the magic so she wouldn’t play with it without Kelski’s supervision.

I promise.

Word Count 541

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 3rd, 2019, 6:29 am

The next morning, as promised, Kelski rose and stretched. She dressed and wandered out of her suite to find the kitchen and put a kettle on the hearth to boil some water. Tea would be nice, especially since she was going to do a lot of talking today teaching The Gem this morning.

Good Morning. Did you remember?

The Gem was perky, almost eager, as if she had waited all night for Kelski to rest and then wake up. The Architectrix Mage smiled, nodded, and answered without a pause. “Yes. I’m making tea and then I’ll sit down and we’ll practice.” She affirmed. Arcanology was one of her favorite things. Magical theory being taught to a magical creature was somewhat ironic, but Kelski was one to appreciate the situation. Plus, she had a promise to keep to her Mentor and Djedfather.

So, she carefully made her tea, padded into the couch and sat down, and looked thoughtfully ahead of herself, not sure what The Gem knew and what she didn’t. With that in mind, Kelski decided to start at the very beginning. “Everyone has something called Djed in them, Gem. It means something like frame or skeleton in the old language, but its basically the power that flows through all things. There isn’t anything in the world that doesn’t have djed. Humans have it. Kelvics have it. And even creatures like you have it. If you know what it feels like, and I’m certain you do, then you understand it comes from something within, a core sometimes called a well. It’s where we store all our djed. We can pull from that well like I pump the crank and pull water from the well Vasin dug… same concept. Many people say without Djed, there is no Magic. For Magic is based on Djed and it is Djed that fuels it.” Kelski said thoughtfully, then paused, letting her Djeddaughter ask her any questions she might have.

I understand what this substance is. It is something I am born with and of, and l believe it is what makes up life itself. I am following your words, Mage, and they are making what I have always felt somehow make more sense.

Kelski nodded. “That is good… very good. Now… there are laws with Djed. They are rules that can never be broken. First, Djed cannot be created or destroyed. You can only actually transform it. The second law is that some forms of Djed are purer than others. Sentient creatures have powerful pure djed, while things that are inanimate objects like a stone, will just have weak passive djed. The difference between powerful or weak djed is free will. The Djed belonging to a person, place, or thing with free will is stronger because its been manipulated more as the will of the person, place or thing is imposed on it. Our example of rock has no will, it simply exists, thus its djed is stagnant, unused, and passive.” Kelski said, looking thoughtful and taking a pause to sip her tea.

“The final law is that transformations are irreversible. Once Djed is used in a transformation, it cannot be used to return to normal. New djed must be used. Once something is no longer what it was, it has a new identity.” Kelski said, and then lifted her tea cup. “This tea has djed… small bits of passive djed, but djed nonetheless. When I drink it…” She said, pausing to sip a big bit of the tea. “… it becomes part of a Kelvic’s body… part of its flesh and blood…. It can no longer go back to being tea.” The Jeweler said, smiling thoughtfully. She hoped The Midnight Gem was following her thought process.

I understand. When you put wood in the hearth, set fire to it, that is much like applying djed to a transformation. The wood burns, becoming heat, and will never ever be wood again. You make clear explanations, Kelski.

The Gem’s response was prompt and even complimentary. Kelski offered her a smile.

“I know this doesn’t seem like a lot of Reimancy, but honestly these concepts are like the foundation you need to understand in order to be good at the magic we just entrusted you with. I’ll talk a bit more about djed, then we’ll get right into Reimancy.” Kelski promised, leaning back and gathering her thoughts to speak again.

Count: 735

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 17th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Kelski smiled, pleased at The Gem’s thinking, continued on with what she wanted to say. “Djed is acquired multiple ways, Gem. Us humans eat food and those nutrients and djed make up for what we lose in daily physical activity and in just being alive. The older we get the less ability we have to absorb nutrients and djed which is why we age and die.” She added. Then she continued on.

“All magic is, in essence, is an individual transforming djed from one thing to another to actually suit a purpose whether that is to fuel a body, call forth a flame, or even shift one’s shape. To actually use djed though, you need to have it in a sort of organized non-chaotic state. Free ranging djed in the wild un-purposed is chaotic and nearly impossible to work with. But you are something different, something bigger, and it might be that you can absorb it from the earth you are rooted from or even harvest it out of the wilds of the wind. I do not know. You will have to explore your own powers on your own. You are The Gem. And there has never been anything like you ever. You have to find your own way. I will help you because I love you and you are my daughter, my friend, and my shelter from the world. Tell me what you learn from your experimentation. And if what you try doesn’t work, we can try other things. I will help you explore these powers. And until you find your own source and learn how to fill your well, I will give of my djed as often as you need.” Kelski said simply, her words infused with her love, pride and indeed gratitude towards the structure around her.

Mother. Mage. Eagle. Human. Jeweler. You are so much in such a small fragile form. I love you too. I will try and explore and we will talk about my successes and failures. I see… I see how the others here in Sunberth are treated… the buildings. Do you know that strangers tear from their walls to burn for heat? Do you know that they steal their bricks and mortar and break the glass of their windows? There is so little love here. I am grateful to you, Kelski. I am so glad you gave me life and a voice. I will do as you ask.

Kelski smiled. If she could hug The Gem she would. Instead, she paced over to her Hearth and laid a hand on it. She’d been inundating the structure with her djed since day one because her book from Kalistan had encouraged it. It was a sort of feeding, nurturing, giving of the physical that assisted the building’s growth.

Kelski thought it was rather important too… that they had these talks. It was rather important that they did these things together. Even if other mages might have thought it a bit insane, she taught her Architectrix Reimancy, Kelski didn’t think so.

“Fire. I should have seen it. You have that sort of personality.” Kelski said softly, a smile playing across her face even as her djed leaked out of her palm where it rested against the hearth… feeding her child. She couldn’t hold the building to her breast, but the sharing of djed was intimate enough. “There is so much to tell you now that you understand djed a bit better.” Kelski said, then smiled when lifted her palm from where it had been touching The Gem.

She walked back to her seat and picked up her tea, taking another drink. Then she settled into the couch with a flop, and propped her feet up on the table resting before it.

Count: 627

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 17th, 2019, 7:34 pm

“Reimancy is all about you having the ability to concentrate and transform your djed into Res in order to be able to make that power manifest into something physical like your fire. You gather your djed in your mind – in your awareness – concentrate it, then transform it into Res. You know how to do that now because you are infested with the Res that I and Gilthas provided. All you have to do is envision that djed becoming Res and then ignite it in your mind in a controlled manner. You can light it and you can put it out. It is an extension of you.” Kelski said, then reached over and snagged a candle holder that held a nice beeswax candle in its jaws. She moved it over to the front of her.

“Everything in this structure is yours. You are this structure. Concentrate. Send your Res through the floor, up the table leg, and into the candle holder. Push it out the candle’s tip and gently ignite the wick.” Kelski instructed, knowing she herself could not do that. She was no fire Reimancer. In all likelihood it would be the last element she gained. She’d gotten air and water first. It was odd and somehow fitting that The Midnight Gem made up for her lacks.

Kelski could feel The Gem gather her power and push. She could feel her structural daughter gathering her power and condensing it, driving it up through the leg of the table and into the candle holder. Black translucent djed twinkled with a hundred colors of iridescence exploded out of the end of the candle. It sparked like a fountain causing Kelski to sit up and gasp. “Pull it back. Its too much. You just need a tiny bit, almost nothing!” She exclaimed.

Immediately, The Gem pulled it back. Kelski could only imagine the torch that would have ignited had the Gem been truly scared or lacking control. When it was back to just the tiniest of sparkling black vapor, Kelski nodded. “Very good… now think fire. And light the candle.” She instructed, calmly, as if there wasn’t a doubt in her mind that The Gem couldn’t do it.

She could. And she did. The spark ignited immediately.

Kelski smiled slowly. Pride flooded her. “As a mage, you can transform Res from one form to another at your will. It takes effort and concentration. You can move to try to control the motion and flow of djed. The closer the better, the more amount the less control you have. This candle flame is a simple spark, a tiny bit, and you should be able to control it effortlessly. You must practice, get stronger, learn to finesse the situation. It’s like singing. Anyone can recite a song, but it takes effort to make the music beautiful, controlled, and hold the notes. You need to learn to do all that. You should be able to get to the point where you can light all the candles in a room with just a thought, or light the hearth just as easily. Snuffing them out should be just as simple. But it takes time. Do you understand?” She asked, curiously leaning back to take another sip of tea.

I do. I have watched you. I saw how you developed your Morphing and how carefully you practiced and studied form. I must do something similar with Res. I must study it and get good at manipulating it. Will Fire be the only element I will control?

Count: 600

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 23rd, 2019, 6:14 pm

G R A D E S
Kelski-

Architectrix +5, Reimancy +4, Teaching +5, Arcanology +3, Psychology +2, Logic +2, Meditation +1

Architectrix: Inducting an Arch Building Into Reimancy, Arcanology: Exploring ways to combine magics, Teaching: Magic Fundamentals

PM me with questions or concerns.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)