Completed [The Midnight Gem] One For The Road

Kelski does one more last thing before leaving Sunberth.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Midnight Gem] One For The Road

Postby Kelski on June 1st, 2019, 3:45 am

Timetamp 73rd of Spring, 519 A.V.

Kelski carefully nailed the lid on the last crate and stepped aside for the help she had hired to carry it down and load the last crate in the wagon waiting quietly outside The Midnight Gem. The Gem itself was quiet, pensive, her soft voice silent in Kelski’s head. The Sea Eagle had waited until the very last minute to do this thing. For one, she wasn’t certain how to do it. She only had the words in a book that she had tucked safely into her backpack to say she could. She believed the book, written by her brother and gifted to her through Ember’s hand. She had no reason not to believe it. Thus far, she’d trusted everything the book had to say. She’d followed its directions carefully… and it had led her to this time and place.

Moving to where her backpack hung on a peg near the hearth, Kelski took the magical bag down, opened it up, and reached in for the book. She lifted out the leather-bound hand-written journal and sat down before the hearth cross-legged. The Architectrix mage opened the book, flipped through to a marked page, and pondered the writing there.

If an Architrectrix Mage has a significant bond with a structure and indeed has earned the Structure’s trust, then it is possible to move the sentient awareness of that building from one place to another. A mage must be significantly skilled to do so – having earned at least an expert level in Architectrix. Mastery is, as always, preferred. The younger the building the easier this move will be. The older the building, the harder it is to carry out this procedure. Ancient buildings are almost impossible to move.

Why?

Moving an awareness involves talking the structure into condensing its awareness down into an object the structure already occupies or one that has been within the structure for a significant time. These objects can be anything from a hearthstone, walkway flagstone, a roof tile, or even a picture hanging on the wall. Even windows and doorways work. It is important to understand that condensing one’s awareness down into something so small when one has been something far larger is a hard thing to ask and the structure may need coaxing or hand-holding.

Once moved into a portable item, the structural awareness then can be used as a seed to plant both the magic and the awareness into a new structure. The new structure should be infused with the essence of the same creature the Architectrix was before it was moved. The awareness will have felt as if it had been asleep. Moving Arch structures is a delicate and hazardous prospect. It means that the structure must WANT to move and that it must TRUST its mage to move it and wake it back up once it has been reseeded. This process should not be rushed. It must be handled with the delicacy of any parent coaxing a cranky child to sleep.

Sometimes, for unknown reasons, this awareness can come back significantly altered or in more extreme cases, cannot be revived at all.

Kelski swallowed hard. She ran her hands across the page and shook her head.

Last edited by Kelski on November 25th, 2019, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelski on November 25th, 2019, 4:49 am

What is it?

Kelski lifted her head and whispered softly. “Today is the day we are moving. I very much want you to come with me. I don’t think I can leave this place without you, Gem. I love you. But this is dangerous for you and you must want to come with us. I feel like if we all stay here we won’t make it. We won’t continue to thrive and we certainly can’t continue to grow. Everything I am urges me to leave, that there is something else out there for us. But this is a big risk to you.” Kelski admitted.

Tell me the risks. I want to know.

Kelski could do no more than read the passage her brother had written in the journal out loud to The Gem. She read it slowly, carefully, and clearly… pausing at times to let the structure around her take in the words. The Gem was a warm presence in her mind. She’d been a warm presence in Kelski’s mind since she’d gained awareness of herself. And for a lonely Kelvic that was unbonded and had very little trust in people, that presence meant everything. The Midnight Gem literally was a huge part of Kelski’s existence and in some ways a huge part of her identity. She’d never had a lonely day in her life since The Gem had came into her awareness. The building was a warm place in her mid – warm and welcoming.

They talked long into the night.

The Gem and the Arch Mage speculated and philosophized. They laughed. Kelski recited stories of her life. The Gem flat-out made-up stories, sometimes of the people she saw walking by her door. It was a game to them, assigning lives to people and talking about their families or jobs… or what they had just been doing. Kelski really enjoyed The Gem’s genius in doing this. It also told the Arch Mage that the structure had many means of seeing things, even if she was a structure and had no eyes.

It was endlessly entertaining and something Kelski was deeply grateful for. The Gem occupied her time, filled the voids in her mind, and made her forget she was often alone. The Gem gave her someone to always come home to that she herself had created. There was nothing much more to say about The Gem except for the fact that Kelski considered her a child of her own body. She’d come from Kelski’s djed, and to the mage that was the same thing. Barn was similar, and Kelski had feelings for him as well, but The Gem had advanced faster, grew sentient sooner, and was by and large had a far more pleasing personality than Barn had. Barn wouldn’t even pick his own name, even though Kelski said it was fine for him to have one. The Gem had insisted she was The Midnight Gem and there was nothing else to talk her out of. The Gem was headstrong while Barn was surly. Kelski suspected it was because she dwelled within The Gem and Barn felt he didn’t get equal time.

Kelski read the passage again, silently, as The Gem remained quiet. “I think all will be well. You are strong, sentient, and as smart as can be. You will feel like you’ve fallen asleep… I do that nightly and wake up refreshed and rested. I don’t want to do this, Gem, but I can’t leave you here and I can’t stay. Everything I am drives me from this point and tells me we need to go. I’ll release you into someplace new. I have no idea what sort of place, but as soon as I can I will awaken you. Then we will make your home as nice as we can. I promise you this. I love you and I won’t let you down.” Kelski said softly, a firm vow in her words.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 25th, 2019, 4:50 am

I trust you. I don’t want to leave this structure, but I don’t want to stay either. I understand why you must move. And as long as you assure me of a place by the sea, I will do as you ask.

The Gem’s voice was soft, almost trembling, and it all but killed Kelski to hear her Architectrix to be what she assumed was scared.

Kelski rose from where she was standing, walked to the hearth, turned, and sat down beside it so she could lean against The Gem with her back fully in contact. She closed her eyes, reached behind her so she could put her bare palms on the hearthstones.

“I love you.” She said, then quietly reached out with her mind. “Come, Gem…. come to the mantle. Your awareness is stretched far and wide, touching every stone, every brick, every beam and the tiles on the roof… pull back from that. Condense… listen to me… follow my voice. Slide into the mantle plank. It is a good solid oak. It will float upon the sea and weather any storm that strikes it. It grew in a living tree for hundreds of years before it fell and graced the space above your hearth. Come into it… condense into it. Make yourself smaller. Make yourself come and rest…..” Kelski’s alto was rich and strong, infused with power for she drew djed from her well and put all the effort and direction she could into her voice.

“Come….” She chanted, softly, her awareness drawing The Gem, luring The Gem, coaxing it into the safety of the mantle plank. Kelski poured more power into her voice, coaxing and hypnotic. She tapped into her ability to lead, her protective instinct and her need to keep The Gem safe. She drew her daughter to her, to the mantle plank above her. And as their awareness were linked, Kelski could feel The Gem changing.

Where her awareness was usually all around her, especially above and below her, it suddenly was not. She could feel it retreating from beneath her and above her, pulling back, pulling away, as she gently coaxed The Gem closer. The Kelvic Mage could feel the effort the Architectrix was expending to do what she asked and condense herself into smaller than she was.

Kelski willed her energy, reaching out and pouring djed into the hearth stones behind her in hopes of giving the building energy to do what she asked of it… to snuggle herself into the plank. It was almost physically painful for the mage to feel the Architectrix changing around her. While her presence grew weaker around the Kelvic, the mantle plank almost glowed in her inner sight. Kelski rose, dragging Djed upwards, and released the hearthstones only long enough to twist to face the gaping maw of the fireplace.

She reached up then, wrapping her fingers around the smooth plane of the mantle plank and infused even more djed within the board. “Come, daughter… come to me here. Come… rest….” She said softly, her voice full of power and her eyes glowing silver with the effort of luring the Architectrix into its temporary housing. The Gem never answered her. Her awareness grew and grew and grew until she might as well had been a person before Kelski rather than a presence all around her. The plank gleamed with its polish and Kelski carefully ran her hands along its smooth deeply weathered lines.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 25th, 2019, 4:51 am

“Sleep, my daughter. Sleep well. I hope you dream good dreams and awake refreshed.” Kelski muttered, then waited until there was no sign of her daughter anywhere else but in the plank, before she reached up and yanked at it, freeing it from its brackets. The heavy wood was long, but not wide. It was perhaps four feet in length but less than a foot wide with only about four inches thick. She hugged the plank, even though it was weighty and awkward, and vowed quietly that she would guard the mantle plank with her life. Turning, she carried the plank to where she had her backpack of voiding staged with its flap wide open, and carefully fit the end of the mantle plank through the mouth of the backpack and proceeded to slide the entire four-foot length into the board.

Before the board entirely disappeared into the body of the magic backpack, Kelski leaned forward and gently kissed the remaining visible edge. “Rest well, daughter. When you awake, I hope you will be in a forever home.” She said softly, then released the plank, letting it disappear into the backpack.

Sighing softly, Kelski tightened up the backpack, lifted it to swing it onto her back. The Gem was safe inside. Now it was time for Barn. She turned, slipped out onto the deck, and let herself out the gate at the end of the deck to follow the path to the little sentient barn. There were no chickens pecking in the barnyard. No knickers of Moth or Tack greeted her. The goats were gone too. The place was strangely empty as she walked through the small side door and looked down the aisle at the empty stalls slightly ajar.

“You are abandoned, Barn.” Kelski said softly.

Not abandoned. At peace. Those animals drove me crazy. Why are you here? And why has The Gem gone quiet? It as if she has gone elsewhere.

“Can you sense her because you are born from her?” Kelski asked curiously, then unshouldered her backpack and lifted the lid. She reached in and pulled up the mantle plank to show Barn. “She is here, safe. Today is the day we leave. Come with us. If you stay here you will only be a Barn. But as I’ve promised you, in the new place we will give you something you want… a structure you can be happy with. I promise you a building with no animals, something touching the sea. I need you to condense into another plank like The Gem has, so I can carry you by hand to the new place. It will be like you have slept… and you will wake well rested to a new place. You have my word that I will pick well and make sure it is a place that is not a barn.” Kelski said softly, her voice once more tapping her djed, pulling from her well, persuading and coaxing in a tone that bespoke power infused with her will.

I believe you. I trust you. You listened when I complained. You understood. I could feel your understanding and sympathy. You did not judge me harshly though I told the truth and you yourself are one of the animals I find annoying. I will go with you. Give me a moment.

In truth, he was easier to persuade than The Gem was. The Gem wasn’t unwilling, she was just an Arch that had been happy in her situation. Barn had never been happy. He had always made it very clear that he despised the animals that lived in him. The chickens pecked all over the place, leaving their shit upon his walls, rafters, and even on the floor. The goats chewed on his wood, even his precious support beams, and that irritated him to no end. The horses were less offensive, but he disliked the mule’s tendency to pass gas and snore after he overfilled his greedy stomach. He had endlessly complained to Kelski about his situation once he awoke to sentience. And when she’d questioned him further, Barn had told her he loved the sea.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 25th, 2019, 4:53 am

He loved the tides, the sound of the lapping waves, the comings and goings of the shorebirds and fish, which he didn’t mind nearly as much as chickens and goats. Kelski thought perhaps he’d make a marvelous dock or boathouse or even a combination of both. When she’d asked him about it, he’d been thrilled with the idea. Maybe, just maybe, that was why when she tapped a small shelf board next to the pot-bellied stove in the center of the barn, he hadn’t objected. It might have been because he was younger, less of a presence than The Gem was.

Regardless, Barn oozed with just the coaxing in her voice and pulled from the building easily enough, condensing in the shelf board far easier than it had been for The Gem to do so. She felt him retreat, the ease he accepted the power in her voice coaxing him to come, and when she felt he was contained, resting, and less aware than he had been since his awakening… she plucked the shelf board off its brackets and carefully added it to the magic backpack, sliding it in and refastening the lid.

Kelski sighed softly, sadly, and glanced around. She exited the barn and stared between the two empty dead feeling buildings. This had been her first true home. It had been the first place she truly owned. She’d been alone here, especially at first, but then it had come to mean so much more to her. Kelski paced around the two structures and the small outdoor forge. She took a long hard look at how far she’d come and where she’d come from, remembering the first day she’d bought the property and how it had looked then.

It was so empty now. It was so devoid of life. Her whole world was tucked into her backpack. It housed The Gem, Barn, and the entire contents and inventory of her jewelry shop and all the jewelry tools she could actually fit in the backpack. Her lapidary wheels and grinders, her presses and vices and all the other bigger items that couldn’t be slid into the mouth of the backpack. The weight of what she carried in that bag was so significant that she slipped it off her back and held it in her arms.

As she gazed at the lifeless Midnight Gem and the missing bracket where Ebon had removed their hanging sign, Kelski could see the dock beyond and the ship that was loaded with her family, friends, animals, and furniture. Slowly she turned, walked back around to the front of the building, and down the street towards the docks. She tried not to look back. She couldn’t. Kelski could only look forward.

A figure stood on the street in front of The Gem waiting for her. He was ordinary in the light, without a hint of what otherworldly creature he would become under Leth’s light. Gilthas offered her a slight smile. And when she drew along side him, he turned and walked with her. His arm reached around her and drew her shoulders into his form, offering a fatherly hug as he did so. “You have them both safe?” He asked curiously.

Kelski nodded, touching the backpack she now carried in her arms instead of on her back.

“This is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I’ve been so glad to be here… so safe to be here. I know we need to move, but it's hard to leave the only home I’ve ever had.” She admitted to him, blinking back tears.

He nodded, understanding. “Sometimes we have to move on… its just good you know when to move and when to stay put. We all fully support your dreams, Kelski. I think we can see you are driven. And while we might not understand exactly why we believe in standing beside you. I would not have my freedom without you and almost everyone here owes their lives to you. Ebon for sure. Dess. You’ve even kept Ember happy and healthy. You gave people a safe place. You crafted extraordinary structures. But if you say you are done here… and we need to move on. We move. That’s all there is to it. Now… don’t look back. Let’s board the ship and move on with life. You won’t be alone.” He said, giving her one last hug before he released her and stepped up the pace. He was long-limbed and it made her rush to keep up. And that rush gave her no time to look back, to second guess herself, or to even have regrets.

Instead, she smiled, grateful for Gilthas and grateful for everyone and everything both before her in the ship and behind her in the empty lifeless buildings.

Count: 3258

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on November 25th, 2019, 5:31 am

G R A D E S
Architectrix +5, Persuasion +5, Hypnotism +2, Research +1, Rhetoric +5

Architectrix: Moving Architectrix Sentience Into Travel-Friendly Objects, Architectrix: Spatial Awareness Of The Sentience Of An Architectrix, Persuasion: Talking An Architectrix Into Something, Rhetoric: Selling An Idea, Hypnotism: Infusing One’s Voice With Power

PM me with questions or concerns.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)