Survival Games ll

Week challenge (Alice)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Survival Games ll

Postby Gillar on May 12th, 2021, 5:00 am

“Everything in nature invites us constantly to be what we are,” were the words that Alice and Madeira heard whispered in their ear by an unknown source. As the words were spoken, the soothing scent of flowers filled their nose. The melodic songs of birds filled their ears. The sweet taste of wild berries tanged their tongue. The soothing tickle of dandelion seeds brushed their skin. Finally, their vision was filled with a myriad of brilliant greens, blues and reds that undulated slowly, blending together and forming new hues of striking colors. These colors soon begin to transform from amorphous pools to defined shapes. It was as if a someone had dumped different colored paint on a canvas only to then paint a picture from the chaos. As Alice and Madeira found themselves floating in the middle of the “painting”, grass begin to form at their feet. Towering trees took shape around them. Flowers happily erupted outward into sight. Before their very eyes, an entire landscape came into being; created from what had been but a great splatter of color.

Within a matter of moments, Alice and Madeira found themselves standing on a small hill surrounded by grass that gave way to a seemingly endless forest. On top of the hill, looming over them, was a tree. It was quite unlike any other tree they'd ever seen. The first sense was that the tree was incomprehensibly ancient. There were a handful of exposed roots covered in impossibly thick bark. These roots led to a series of six trunks that twisted around each other to form a single, massive whole. Although not incredible in height, the main body of the tree formed by the numerous trunks was easily twenty feet in diameter. It rose at least fifty feet in height with countless branches. Leaves, the colors of which could not be described by mortal terms, were interrupted in many places by strange clumps of thumb-sized constructs that resembled miniature bundles of bananas. What stood out most however was the color of everything. The sky was a blue that the two had never knew existed. The same was true for the grass, trees and flowers and even the birds and other small animals that came into being from otherwise moving swirls of color.

When the onslaught of their surroundings began to slowly normalize within their senses, Alice and Madeira then realized that any of the wounds, scratches, cuts, bruises or worse, were gone; it was as if they never happened. The accumulated filth and grime of the past seven days…vanished. In fact, it felt as though they had bathed in the most luxurious bath ever to have existed. Their skin smelled of the best thing they’d ever experienced.

After a few moments of getting their bearings while trying to reconcile what she had experienced for the past several days with where they were now, the two each felt a hand lay upon her shoulder. Turning to look they would see nothing. Turning back, they saw a woman sitting on one of the great tree’s exposed roots. The woman was as naked as they were. Her skin was an especially pale green color while here hair was the deepest of green with the texture of moss. Her eyes were colored the deepest of brown. From her hair, it looked as though flowers grew from the moss itself. Her skin was flawless, her lips a ruby red. Her finger and toenails were an autumn orange.

Her head was lowered but upon being noticed, she raised it. In a voice that sounded like the best mother’s voice, carried on the wind, complete with the chill of long lost, cherished familiarity, she spoke.

“Saying that this is all rather odd…is not quite describing what you have just been through. For that, I offer my apology. Mortal words, no matter the language, do not fully encompass the experience.” The woman hopped down from her perch upon the exposed root and walked a few feet to stand before Alice and Madeira. As the woman took her steps, flowers grew where her feet touched the ground.

“Again, forgive me for any lack of civilized manners. I may not be as formal as you are used to. You may know me as Caiyha, the Goddess of Nature. To answer your next unspoken question, you have undergone what you could consider a challenge of sorts or a test. It was a test to see if ones such as yourself was capable of surviving in a place devoid of nearly all the trappings of civilization. Obviously, you indeed survived, despite the challenges.” Caiyha spoke while casually walking around the area beneath the tree.

She stopped at one point to pick up something which was concealed in her closed hand. Turning back to the two, she smiled.

“I know you have many other questions. What is the purpose of this test? Why me? What happens next? Likely many others. First, the purpose of this test is simple, at least to me. Since the beginning, I have sought out those who show respect and reverence for all that I’ve created. Those who seek to protect it and nourish it, I show them my grace. Recently however, I began to wonder. What about those who don’t think about my creations or who don’t feel truly a part of it all. What about those who, with a little push, may discover on their own, that they are connected to me. This is why I chose you. There is something about you that peaked my interest. It isn’t something I can describe other than to say you have a quality about you. It was that quality I decided to test. Can this mortal, left with only a physical body, natural skills and talents and the least number of civilized connections, survive my creation? Obviously, you passed that test so what comes next. We will get to that in a moment. First however, I wish to offer you a moment or two to ask of me what you will, within reason.” Caiyha plucked a flower from her hair, brought it to her nose and took in its scent before raising it into the air. The flower then erupted in seed before the petals dried and fell to the ground; quickly consumed by insects and thus contributing to the greater cycle.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Survival Games ll

Postby Madeira Dusk on May 16th, 2021, 2:32 am

Madeira and Alice stepped onto the hillock that was their destination, and everything changed.

The stagnant, sweet, rotting smell and the harsh calls croaks of the swamp vanished. The air was light and fragrant and filled with the trill of birdsong. Colour as Madeira had never seen before flooded her vision, and the swamp was lost as they drifted in this endless pool of life that was taking shape around them.

Madeira, no stranger to the inexplicable and immune to chaos, managed to stand her ground and watch the world warp around them. The beauty of the sight was making her throat close up. She had always thought of nature as something that had to be either overcome or restrained; plowing a meadow to make farmland or taming a forest to make a park. But she had never seen nature so unfettered like this. Life and wonder pulsed through the ground and the trees and through the bodies of the small animals that darted through the kaleidoscope of color and sound, more movement than form. Nature wasn't something that could be contained and beat back, it still existed in that farmland and that park and every space in between, in all its many forms. They were simply allowed to exist in it.

With everything happening around them it took her a moment to realize that she was whole again. The fever and the hunger were gone. The poison of her infection had been sucked out of her body in a single broad stroke. She was clean and as healthy as she had ever been, and naked as the day she was born.

The world took on solid shape and she found herself on a hill in a dense forest, at the roots of the most magnificent tree she had ever seen. It had that same reverent quality of a church or a temple. It felt like a place where prayers were answered. And sitting on the roots of that twisted church was-

A Goddess, Madeira realized, as a woman like she had never seen raised her head and regarded them both with eyes the color of freshly churned earth. Otherworldly was a poor description, but it was all Madeira's overtaxed mind could pull together to describe a creature so of the world. She spoke gently but Madeira flinched at the sound like a lightning strike. Without clothes to hide behind her terror was on full display dappled in beads of sweat between her breasts. The power of the gods was terrible.

This was the third god she'd met face-to-face, and this was the fourth to nearly kill her with one of their beloved trials. Dira wanted to test her resolve, Leth wanted her to reflect on the meaning of her life, Uldr just wanted her dead. And who knew what Sagllius or Ionu were after, even if they weren't actively trying to kill her. This peril that Caiyha, goddess of nature, put them through was as friendly as a handshake when it came to deities. So what did she want from them? There was a lesson here, there always was. Her tongue felt cemented to her mouth.

Caiyha invited them to speak. Madeira had to work her tongue over her mouth before she could bring herself to open it.

Why us?, she wanted to ask. They were an Eiyon and a ghost. A servant of death and a deceased soul, chosen and tested by a goddess filled with the glory of natural life. But that was just it, she realized. An Eiyon didn't just serve death, they served the natural cycle. And there was nothing supernatural about a ghost; they were a manifestation of iron will and life extended past the breaking point. They served different gods and different purposes but both fell under this encompassing sphere of nature.

"I am humbled by your presence", Madeira began, her voice feeling mean and weak next to the goddess. "And I'm honored to be chosen, even if I don't truly understand why. But I understand now where the natural world fits in the cycle of life and death. I never thought I gave nature much thought, but now I've personally killed a creature in order to keep myself alive, as all predators and prey do, and I realize I have always contributed to the cycle we are all a part of."

But what do you ask a Goddess? She had never been given such an open opportunity to ask what she would. Her mouth opened and closed before her voice resolved itself into words.

"I would like to know... I would like to know about other worlds. I know there is this... place, that a soul goes after it has been Dusted, or ripped out of our world. I've sent one there, and I even managed to bring one back. But I have put... something there. " Her thoughts flash to the dusted remains of the Priest she kept in her walls. "Something terrible. I must know, what is that place? What happens to a soul after it is sent there? Where have I been sending these tortured creatures?"
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Survival Games ll

Postby Alice Weaver on May 16th, 2021, 5:47 pm

The world was twisting and shifting. Life was swirling around their bodies in a natural yet unnatural way. The rampant growth quickly consumed the area around the two, banishing the scent of the fetid swamp and leaving behind the earthy and sweet tones of a healthy forest. The sight stunned the ghost-turned-human as they gapped at the display. The chaotic order of nature would demand nothing less than breathlessness.

It was only after the grime and grit fell from their body, their wounds healed, and the overwhelming senses they have been consistently struggling with vanished did they notice the woman...no the Goddess standing before them. Talking to them. The deity’s green skin, orange nails, and flawless skin would evoke jealousy in all who saw it. Alice considered herself to be ethereally beautiful when she wasn’t trapped within a body but she now knew that she was a mockery. For who could be more ethereal...more otherworldly than a Goddess? Some small part of Alice reserved to find a different word to describe herself because she was unfitting of the designation.

What was the proper thing to do when meeting face to face with a Goddess? Did they bow? Praise her? Offer ritual sacrifices? The ghost was at a loss, especially with how casually the Deity was treating them. The Goddess was speaking as if they were acquaintances and not worshipers to the worshiped. The only small key to understanding was the blooming feeling of warmth and awe that came from within the body she was inhabiting, a feeling of reverence separated from her own. Possibly the man this body once was paid patronage to Caiyha? It was a possibility with how many nature-related skills the body possessed.

Realizing that she was standing awestruck while grappling with the enormity of the situation she decided to dip her head in reverence. It was the least she could do for the body she possibly took over forever.

Why us? Alice’s own thoughts echoed Maderia’s closely. And unlike the Spiritist, Alice did not have the knowledge of all the cycles that Dira was involved in and saw herself as a break from the cycle, spitting in its face...That was the reason she became a ghost after all. She spat in the face of Death with anger kindled only by a life cut pitifully short. Was it some sort of punishment for breaking the cycle? Caiyha did say it was simply a test to see that they were part of nature and to find that you can never be separated from it.

Maybe it wasn’t a punishment...but a redemption? A chance? She found her heart picking up the pace even more. This was a chance! A chance to right her wrongs and maybe return to that cycle and live to the end. To feel the beat of the world flow through her body. She realized that this week...this event was the closest she’d ever felt to be alive, even before her death and return as a ghost.

“This is the most I’ve ever felt alive. Even before…” She whispered to herself, trailing off at the last moment thinking it impolite to mutter in front of a Goddess.

So many thoughts flickered through her mind as they were all fighting to burst through her mouth and ask the Goddess hundreds of questions. Who am I in? Are they still alive? Can I recreate this on my own? Can I help others of my condition live again… And then the darker thought splashed across her mind before it was shunted away. One that she didn’t wish to entertain because it ran against her grain in all honesty. She didn’t wish to avoid Death forever after all.

Their mouth opened before closing with an audible clack as Maderia ask her question. An unselfish question, Alice noted. Madeira really did seem to care about the spirits she dealt with, her question just cemented the fact.

The spirit-cum-human took a breath and spoke, asking the very Goddess of Nature her question.

“I want to know if what you have done to me can be recreated through mortal means. I want...I want to live my cycle fully and then pass on. I want to live without regrets and experience...this.” Her arms waved around at the beauty that surrounded her at the moment. She swallowed before continuing, “I- if you’d permit me to ask I want to know how I can...experience...this again. I’ve never felt more alive, more grounded to life than ever after this week and after seeing you.” She chuckled nervously to herself, “Maybe not this exactly but ease into it? The cow-lizards were a bit scary…”

Thinking she had made a fool of herself in front of a goddess the ghost clammed up, fist nervously tightened by her sides, gaze cast downwards.
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Words: 184933
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2020, 11:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Previous