A Whole New World [Moritz]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Alric Lysane on November 8th, 2021, 5:05 pm

“Yes,” he said slowly in return, still not quite sure why Moritz spoke the way he did, “I suppose everything can be resolved with logic. Gut feelings be damned” he continued cheerily.

He wasn’t mocking the lad, that was not his intention. He had simply learned some time ago that those – including himself - who were so set on something being correct were nigh impossible to get to see the flaws with their thinking. They were all human after all, or mortal at least. He wasn’t even sure the divines were infallible either he had to admit. Moritz seemed to be happy in the basic assumption that logic was supreme, which he felt sure Moritz would also call an assumption…and round and round they went.

So why ruin the journey he said to himself with amusement. Strangers from new lands were proving to be more curious than the naïve targets that came to the city.

“Of course, makes perfect sense that the goddess of death should visit a soon to be born child. Perhaps I will ask your mother, is she around? It would surely be a unique story. I’d like to be alive after haring it though, think that’d be able to be arranged?” he asked, knowing that the humour would likely be lost but it didn’t matter.

Regardless he followed Moritz’ instruction. He had the feeling that he had never really taught before given the brusque instruction. Or that perhaps he took for granted that others could simply do as he was telling him to do. In fairness he hadn’t paid for anything so it was free tuition so there was nothing lost but time and time he had some of. He sat and closed his eyes, opening them a little every so often at first to make sure this wasn’t going to turn into some hugely amusing but elaborate con, but eventually as not threat seemed apparent keeping them closed.

“Dark emptiness” he sighed…he was not sure what that meant.

From the earliest age he couldn’t remember a time where his mind was not taking up some thought or another. It was incredibly difficult to empty his mind. Even when he managed to do so some thought about Moritz cropped up, or a random saying he had overheard somewhere, or the voice of his mother from years ago, and on and on. He managed perhaps ten seconds of empty blackness at a time and then only a couple of times. He was not sure how long he had tried but it felt like a long time indeed. He breathed out through his nose sharply and realised his shoulders were tense and his trying to attempt a void was actually taking effort and seemed counterintuitive.

He tried the breathing, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Hold it he remembered after a while and tried that. It was perhaps a bit easier for slightly longer periods of blackness but still his thoughts tumbled and vaulted around his head. They wouldn’t rest, they were too busy being too much like him. He sighed after a while and opened his eyes before stopping the attempt
“My mind is apparently too busy to be able to relax…I suppose I could try it again at another time with more success. I shall remember the technique and see if the next time we meet I have achieved some mastery of it” he said, looking up at nothing in particular.

Analysing himself he supposed that he felt a bit calmer, at least his mind and heart did, his body rebelled and had become a little tense. Or perhaps he had now become aware of it. Perhaps he’d have to take another approach in the future. He rolled his shoulders to ease them a little. Then again he couldn’t tell how much was self-fulfilling – looking for a change and then finding one. He chuckled to himself.

“One more try then I suppose” he muttered, closing his eyes once more.
This time he didn’t try to stop his mind working, it was a fool’s errand. Instead he occupied it with thinking upon his body, his tight muscles specifically and the attempt at trying to soothe them. This proved slightly more successful and though he had no ‘black void’ appear he did feel as if he were more relaxed than the previous attempt. This was a very strange practise he had to admit, it seemed a luxury for Sunberth where if he did this in the street he’d probably end up without clothes by the end.

With that amusement the concentration broke and he opened his eyes for the final time.

“Yes…definitely more practise required but we will see how it goes” he said.
“Why don’t you show me these forms of yours and I’ll see if I can figure a way to better them” he suggested, interest in this fighting styles from other lands that seemed so formal and rigid.

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on November 9th, 2021, 3:17 am

Moritz wondered at the mans words, wondering once more if he was missing something. Was the man joking? Teasing? Or being serious? He was unsure which of those or if in some other way the man was speaking.

While he seemed to be agreeing with him on logic, from the other things he had said the man having the same stance on this as Moritz or even a similar one seemed unlikely, but now the man was over enthusiastically saying he agreed. This contradiction seemed somewhat conflicting and odd. Further when he commented on the other bit about his birth he said something which made even less since, and further made Moritz wonder if he was teasing or perhaps even calling Moritz a liar indirectly.

"Why would that make perfect sense? I don't think Dira visits every child just before their born. The reason I recall it is because its such an odd tale I've heard about my birth. But my mother is a Spiritist, which is probably related to the whole Dira thing. Have you heard of other instance of Dira meeting woman before giving birth that such would be normal?"

Or, Moritz left unsaid, was the man making fun of or in some other form bringing into question the truthfulness of Moritz own words....

"As for my mother, I suppose she's back home where I'm from. I haven't seen her in awhile. But feel free to ask her if you meet. If she wants to talk about it. I've left for some traveling, so I'm not living there currently."

When the instruction in meditation began Moritz did his best to be clear and concise, but not really have been on the teaching and of teaching he was likely not too skilled. Still the topic was relatively simple, and so he felt he was not doing too bad in a one on one session.

Since there was not much of anything visible to see, Moritz was unsure how well he was doing or how well Alric was learning the skill of meditation. Unlike with combat or such things he could not really look and see if he was doing it right, as he could not see in Alric's head to know if he was not thinking or clearing his mind properly.

Considering the mans reaction Moritz pondered over his words and how he could perhaps change up his method. He did not have an issue with emptying his mind and picturing inky empty blackness, but clearly Alric did... But then again emptiness was not the only thing he used, particularly when he meditated and focused to use magic he thought of other things. So perhaps one of those could work.

"If that does not work, perhaps another mental image would work better. As long as the thing is calming I think other stuff would be fine. Maybe picture a flickering candle. Waves on a beach. A warm room. Or something else specific to you that you find calming and would help you focus. Something you can clearly picture in your head to the exclusion of other things. Try that."

Once the man was done with meditation he then asked about seeing Moritz forms. Moritz frowned, not recalling offering to show them, simply mentioning he had come there to practice them but never actually offering to show them.

"Uh? What about my forms? I don't think I could teach that. For a few reasons, besides which I never said I would show you those. You just asked what I was doing here, and I told you that was part of why. But besides that, combat forms are rather physical. So unless you can do them as well, seeing me do them won't help much. Plus, they tend to be rather weapon specific. So unless you plan to use the exact weapon I was trained in, I don't think it would help you much. The one I use is rather odd, so its used in some odd ways compared to other swords. It would be like trying to copy the way someone used an axe into how you used a sword. What kind of weapons or combat do you use or train in?"

Pausing for a moment Moritz peered out at the water of the garden, wondering on its size and depth. It was an odd thing in such a dry hot place to see water so freely spent in such ways.

"If we were to spar we could test each other, and both improve and learn, but I don't think this is really a suitable place for it. Plus I don't have the needed training weapons, and using actual live weapons to spar with another person seems like a bad idea. Though I would assume some place in the market sells such things, but I've never bought any before..."

WC: 809
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on November 10th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Alric took the extra meditation lesson with good grace, he would probably try what Moritz suggested at some point in the future. Likely on some night excursion should the worst happen or he need to pass a long period of time in silence. Such times came up often enough it seemed worth noting the instruction for memory. He did not try again yet though, he knew when something was futile and his mind was not in the right frame for it.

“I don’t know much about Dira and I’m not sure it would be wise for me to change that. I’d like to keep on living as long as possible. But clearly you are a special lad and so it follows” he said with some amusement.

At the mention of Spiritism he took pause but then again his mither didn’t seem to be with them and even so there was little he could have done to avoid her. Mages made his skin crawl but he tried to be as pragmatic about things as possible. As long as they weren’t trying to enslave him or the place he lived he tried to live and let live. Besides which it was usually best policy not to confront a mage face to face in his books, especially if you knew not what they were capable of. Still he filed the information away and made a note to be careful.

His slight apprehension at the idea of magic was something he tried not to show now, so far their interaction had been fine and Moritz seemed an interesting character who had some knowledge that might be worth something one day. What was the point of making an enemy if he didn’t have to do so?

“I’ll be sure to ask her, not that I’ll probably end up meeting her. Perhaps you could put in a good word for me beforehand in case she decides to ready a fireball. You are a traveller then? A merchant perhaps or do you travel for some other reason?” he asked, curiosity tingling once more.

He listened as Moritz continued onwards about his forms. He had meant it as a quiet way to learn something new, perhaps practise something alongside. He was no fighter and weapons made him uneasy, but he knew the value of knowing how others fought and he had had little in the way of formal training. Besides which at some point he had resigned himself to the notion that he’d have to learn how to use some weapon in a basic way. Sunberth was dangerous and if he was to try to become wealthier and more prosperous no doubt someone who come knocking at his door one day.

Or several people…then I would really need a weapon if I couldn’t talk my way out of it he noted to himself grimly.

“Oh, you’d be surprised what you could learn just by watching Moritz, observation is half the battle if you’re physically capable of copying and repeating. Though perhaps you are right about the odd shape, I’ve certainly not seen one like it before” he said, noting the same could be said for Moritz himself also.

He watched Moritz watch the water with a strange expression. Though being fair, everything was strange about Moritz. So far this had been a strange sort of day indeed. He didn’t often meet strangers from strange lands who were half as strange as Moritz despite them being strangers. Still counter to his usual instincts he was inclined to continue their time together, if only just to see what happened. Hopefully Dira wouldn’t turn up but at least if she did then he’d go out in a spectacularly weird manner.

“You realise of course, that your body is a weapon, no? What would happen if you lost your…whatever that is? Wouldn’t you know how to defend yourself?” he asked, quite serious for once, “have you just decided to learn a weapon without training your hands and fists? If so then I’d say that would be a mistake. Should be the other way around”

“Weapons escalate things. If you can get the job done with your own body without them suspecting, thinking you were unarmed, then that is worthy of knowing” he finished, looking at Moritz then.

“Perhaps you could practise this with me? And if you don’t know then I can teach some basics perhaps”

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Moritz Craven on November 10th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Moritz frowned as he thought on the mans words, not quite understanding what he meant.

"Dira is the Goddess of Death. If she wants you dead, you will be dead. Though I suppose ghosts are sort of her purview as well, but those are just people who physically died but haven't passed on. Wanting to know her or not is rather pointless though. She is what she is, and you are what you are. And I am what I am. If she wishes me dead, I don't have the fallacy of mind to think I can stop her. But neither do I eagerly rush to an earlier grave. With that in mind, fearing or avoiding her seems rather pointless, doesn't it?"

Posing a series of logical statements and their outcomes Moritz tried to explain his understanding of Dira, but he could never quite tell if someone would understand his reasoning or not. Some people just did not by their nature leave themselves open, and for other fear was more powerful than other feelings and avoided at all cost.

When the man then turned back to the topic of his mother and her engulfing him in flames, he was reminded of earlier when he had assumed his "magic eyes" would let him turn the man into flames as well... Did he think all magic involved throwing around balls of flames, or burning things?

Taking a few moments Moritz began to speak several times, only to stop as he tried to find the right words. Finally he did speak, though it was in a rather tentative manner as he was fairly certain he had to ask something but did not know how.

"I'm sorry, I have to ask, and I know this will sound rude... Its not meant as such, but I really do need to know... So please listen to the whole question but... Are you stupid? I'm not trying to be mean or rude, its a serious question. Are you? Or do you just misunderstand magic so much that you are coming off that way?"

"Its just... That is the second time now I've spoken of something completely unrelated, at which you have assumed it meant something about flames, or burning, or burning things down, or exploding flames, or fireballs or... Well that sort of thing. You do realize not everything you don't understand is magic, and not everything that is magic involves throwing around chunks of flames, right? Please tell me you know that... Magic is just... A change... Not anything specific. Those are specific types of magic, which isn't all the same thing."

While Moritz tone was still relatively neutral there was some concern in it, rather than clear rudeness or malice. Though in truth those were tones or emotions Moritz rarely if ever displayed.

"My eyes are just eyes, I can see things with them because of my gift that eyes don't normally see. They don't emit heat or burn things I look at. And Spiritism, the one I said my mother performs, is just used to interact with ghosts and other similar things. Making soulmist to sooth and feed ghosts, to calm them, to gain their aid, or letting them inhabit your body, that sort of thing. Nothing about flames or fireballs."

Pausing once more Moritz purposely met the mans gaze as he asked his serious question.

"What exactly do you think magic is? Or does? Besides something about throwing fireballs, which if it is a magic is one I don't know of and doesn't seem related to the ones I've spoken on."

When the question of weapons and such combat related matters came up Moritz openly smirked at the man, feeling words on his lips before he spoke.

"Assumptions, assumptions. I never said I only learned how to fight with a blade, I just said I was learning how to. You've really got to watch those assumptions. My combat instructor was a proper one. She taught me the basics of all the things I might need to know for fighting. Acrobatics for dodging and movement. Unarmed for open hand and grappling. Weapons for close range. If we had the time we probably also would have gone into some ranged weapons. Meditation for clearing the mind and getting into the right state for fighting. Tactics for reviewing the battle and considering options. I've learned a little about a lot, with the intent to train each and eventually master them all. I'm honestly still new to many, but I've begun them all and know enough to continue them."

Eyeing the man Moritz smiled, slowly fading his expression back to a more neutral one, as he took off his pack and set it beside the bench. With a pull he also undid his scabbard, and set the weapon atop his pack.

"If you would like to practice some, I am game. As I said, I am not overly skilled, but I'm always open to leanings more beyond what I learned before. And fighting without a weapon, with simple unarmed combat, is something I've had some training in."

"Though tell me. You spoke on fighting without weapons, and only that. What then if say someone came at you with a sword and shield, and you could not run. How would you fight back? Or if someone had a bow and came at you with an attack from a range. With no weapons you would not be able to batter through the shield, certainly not before they attacked with a sword you could not block with bare hands. And from a distance with a bow you would have no recourse, as you could not close the distance in time before they attacked. From what I understand, combat is all about ranges. You have unarmed for up close. Weapons of varying length for other ranges up close. And then ranged attacks like throwing weapons or bows for distance. I'd argue its not about knowing just one, but all of them. That would be the best way to approach combat. Though admittedly it might be slower than just working on one thing only, in the end you'll be better off for your diverse skills."

WC: 1,032
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on November 10th, 2021, 5:27 pm

Alric decided not to disagree with Moritz about Dira, he didn’t see the point to it. Clearly the lad had never had to scrounge in the dirt for food scraps and fend off early oblivion with nothing but stubborn spite. He merely shrugged at the words and noted that if logical thought and rational argument could be transformed into reality then it would be a much safer life perhaps but likely more boring. Besides which he was not sure that one who apparently knew about – and possibly had spent time with – the dead was perhaps not the most uninfluenced source on the concept of death.

He did start smiling, however, at the first time it seemed Moritz was having difficulty with words. He spent the first few attempts wondering what exactly it was that was causing it. Once it had tumbled out of his mouth into the open Alric blinked a few times in silent surprise before bursting out into laughter and slapping Moritz on the back gently. The very idea brought a few tears to his eyes that he wiped away once the laughter had receded and become intermittent chuckles. He scratched his chin thoughtfully, wondering how to respond.

Moritz had spoken at length so Alric supposed he should thank him for going to great pains not to offend him and to explain things. He was not entirely convinced of course, Sunberth’s history and legend spoke quite clearly to the contrary of what Moritz was saying and whilst he wouldn’t be attacking mage or inciting a mob – largely so as not to get rounded up by accident by it himself – he wasn’t going to go about befriending mages fir no reason…and perhaps even with reason. The traditional paranoia and distaste ran deep, if not very deep in Alric himself at least ten times further in Sunberthian culture itself, the world he lived and breathed in.

“I am quite sure people would say so,” he said with a grin, “I am not sure I am mentally ‘ficient’ and certainly haven’t had the schooling that you seem to have that you can speak on such matters with pure fact and no assumption. I am but a simple street ragamuffin” he waggled his finger and laughed again.
“It’s easy to talk about magic as a tool to be used, a simple equation and description, when you’re not the one under its boot and lash Mortiz. There are places where it has been used for terrible things and to commit awful crimes. But…I have no wish to argue with you. Suffice to say that you may be right, and I understand little…but I understand people well enough…and their desire for power”

Still he did accept that he was no expert on the subject, that this spiritism sounds okay right up until the point where there was possession going on. Easing the dead on the path to Dira as it were might be a laudable goal. Yet it seemed to Alric that for every good such as that, the gifts of healing and perhaps other things he knew not, that there were just as many that could and were used for terrible dealing with others. Still, if they kept such things away from Sunberth they could do as they wished to each other all day and night as far as he was concerned.

The next subject was something that he was warmer to and once more he wondered just how sheltered the rest of the world was. Of course, there was much that Moritz spoke of that was interesting and provoked thought – he had proven capable enough of that already. Yet he spoke as if fighting was an ordered and rational event. He asked questions that even with the best preparation and skill would not have a universal answer – at least not in Alric’s experience.

“Tell you what Moritz, when we part I shall reveal to you about my assumptions,” he said with warm mirth, “but as I said once you’ve started using weapons you’ve already lost, even if you win. Weapons may be needed at times but one should not jump to using them as first resort. Things just get bloody after”

“As for the rest of what you said…I have no real answer for how to respond to such specific situations. It would depend upon all sorts of things. You say there is nowhere to run…perhaps that is not true. Even if it is where are you? Is there water for you to shove them in to drown in their armour? Perhaps there is dirt to kick into their eyes so you can kick them in the balls and break their face with your knee? Or maybe there’s a crate lid to use as your own shield?” he said, ticking them off as he started a small circle around Moritz as if lecturing – a stance he was certain the lad was used to listening to from talk of his instructor.

“Or maybe you can hook their foot so they lose balance and drop both shield and weapon” he said, suiting his words with a gentle sweep of his foot on Moritz suddenly.

He jumped back after with a grin, settling into a stance of defence the old Sunberthian street fight way, right foot forward and left foot back, hands up and palms open and relaxed. He wondered if he could teach this Moritz a few street smarts of his own city by the end of their little fun. He also wondered if he knew that it wasn’t all about technique and situations when you were knee deep in river scum and a ruck over a fat purse of golden miza.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Moritz Craven on November 10th, 2021, 9:20 pm

While Moritz had thought the human found him funny earlier, or was making fun, even he did not have trouble telling from the excessive laughter that he now found Moritz words funny. Which was odd as like before they had been a series of serious questions and statements, somewhat in concern for the other man. But apparently he found them funny.

Moritz puzzled over the man for a few moments, likely showing on his face, as he waited for the man to come to a stop. Eventually he did, though when he began speaking again it did not seem to make a large amount of sense. Which left Moritz to wonder again if the man was mocking or not.

Considering the mans words it did appear he had an issue with magic in general as an idea, though he was unsure why specifically.

"What does schooling have to do with knowing the difference with dealing with ghosts, and throwing fireballs? There isn't really any connection between the two, so it seems more likely you'd consider them different than the same as you have. And while I try to avoid assumptions I never said I did not make any, but you do seem to be making some clearly egregious ones. If I see a bear I'm not going to call it a snake, and if I see a snake I'm not going to call it a bear, nor will I treat them both the same even if I think they are both a threat."

Moritz did not know much about Sunberth, having only learned today that it existed when Alric brought the place up, but clearly if what the human said was true then there was some odd history there.

"I can't say much about the past, particularly since I don't know the history of your city. But be that as it may, power is one thing, people are another. And a tool is a tool. And people who will be corrupted, or people who are bad, will do so no matter what tools are at hand. A knife is not malicious. Has no intent. But if someone with bad intent does, something bad can be done. It could be used to prepare a meal, or to slit someones throat. But the knife has no volition. Whether its a knife, a fist, magic, whatever, if its used poorly or by people with bad wishes then bad things will happen. I don't expect that would be any different, no matter what is being discussed. But then that is an issue with the people, and if magic was not around perhaps they would have just found another way to be a bad person. It sounds more like a people problem than a magic problem to me. Not all people are the same. And not all people react the same to power. But what do I know, I'm not even three years old till this spring, so I cannot say I have experienced everything."

Weapons were an odd topic in Moritz mind, as he found them interesting but also did not like them. But if nothing else he respected them and felt they should be used well it they were to be used.

"Weapons might not be the first thing, but still they do give options. What is the saying... If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem is a nail? If you have no weapons, then the only solution is to grab a random object, which may or may not be there. Even that is one of the things I mentioned earlier, tactics. Considering your surroundings, what you can do, what advantages you have, and such. And if its not there, if there is nothing to grab or advantage, then your out of luck. I try to avoid chance or luck. So I would prefer to keep my options open. Which is what I meant before about having numerous skills. You don't have to use all of them, but if the situation allows for it the more things you can do then the more options you have. If you've trained right maybe new options will open other than punching someone or tossing something at someone. Like climbing a wall, dodging an attack, or scaring someone off with the threat of an attack rather than actually coming to blows or fighting off a blade. Or using a weapon. It doesn't have to be the first choice, but having the choice I believe is better than being forced into one."

Rising slowly Moritz eyed the man for a moment, before letting his vision open up to examining the entire man. While as an Okomo his vision was somewhat limited on the vertical, he could see better on the horizontal than a human could due to his eyes shape. This meant he was less able to detect motion and attacks from above or below, but on the same level he was much better able to see more and wider. He knew this limit of his, and tried to take it into account when he fought.

"Skill is always a question. if the other person is less skilled than you, then many things open up. If they are the same as you, then sneak moves and such unless truly well done are less likely to work. Most people aren't idiots, and are going to assume you'll try something, and will prepare for that. But unless your much stronger than them, overwhelming them is unlikely. Particularly if the other person is skilled in many things."

Turning his own body so that a shortened silhouette was exposed Moritz put one hand near the small of his back and the other out in front of him. He also worked to see the man in total, rather than just one part of him. Not just his eyes, or hands, or feet, but all of him.

"Also since the ground is rather hard, I'd avoid anyone falling on it too hard, or someone is liable to get hurt."

If the man only knew how to fight with his hands then Moritz would have more options, having spent time dodging, using acrobatic tricks, and other such things, though that alone he knew was not enough to overcome someone much more skilled when fighting did actually occur.

WC: 1,057
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on November 12th, 2021, 4:49 pm

“What you say is correct, technically, but when people are involved what is correct doesn’t always end up being what is true,” he said as he circled Moritz slowly, rolling his shoulders and loosening up his muscles, “people are all fallible. If I had a knife I might kill a few people before others stopped me, a sword five, a bow ten…magic offers far more scope for pain and misery by that logic” he continued, stepping forwards into striking distance.

He wasn’t seeking to harm and truthfully he just wanted to warm up and practise his own abilities – it was safer here than on the streets of Sunberth. He went for a couple of jabs, palm open to tap if they landed, and then a couple of crosses in the same manner. He expected them to be easily batted away and he would retreat back once more, continuing the circling.

“Sunberth was ruled by mages less than a hundred years ago and terrible things were done. It took a street war to be free once more. Before that they say we were miner slaves for mages, who knows for how long. Talking about people being different does little to change awful history” he shrugged at that.

He was more pragmatic than most but he knew enough – despite his mental deficiencies – to know that where one had the ability to cause suffering the temptation was also there. The more ability the more the temptation. People were people and they were usually out for themselves. If you had to suffer for them to get ahead then so be it. Admittedly there were exceptions but as a general rule for survival it worked better than most others.

“Wait, you’re three? Well, a special lad indeed,” he said as he closed in once more, "most three year olds would be...well much shorter for starters" he said, he was surprised but then surprise had lost much of its shock this day.

There were fists and feet this time, probing to see what Moritz would do, slow and easily blocked attacks – he just wanted to see how instruction was done in other parts of the world, whether Sunberth measured up and so far Moritz seemed very formal with his stance and ability. As if memorised and put into practise exactly as it should be. He wanted to see if the lad could improvise but he kept his blows simple and easy for now. He didn't have any dog in the fight, he didn't mind what the end result would be.

He’d make them more complex and quicker as they went. They came apart once more and he took the breather to continue.

“Surely you assume now that there are any rules? Options are only afforded in civilised places. Rules, conformity, predictability. Tactics are well and good if you all line up neatly and take your turns. They tend to be meaningless in the muddy street fights at night, with little light and no real desire beyond staying alive,” he said, recovering his breath with his talking, “though I concede that trying to not get into a fight is the best technique of all”

He stayed his ground now and would do so until Moritz decided to move. He wanted to see how he moved, to gain a perspective upon his skill and techniques.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Moritz Craven on November 13th, 2021, 11:24 pm

Moritz turned with Alric as the older man moved about him, having taking his ready stance and not wanting to clearly give an opening. It was a simple tactic, rather obvious in truth but one that most people seemed to start with. Mortiz was unsure why though, since it was so obvious... Was it custom? A way to test the ground? Or had someone at some point not figured it out and actually let someone circle around behind him. Of course, Moritz realized, if one had the skill pretending to not realize might be a good technique to pull someone into an obvious attack.

Talking, thinking, and also trying to fight at the same time seemed a bit much to Moritz, and that was with his thinking limited to fighting related things, so he simply responded with a confused grunt to Alric's words. Something correct and true were not the same? That made no sense, as they were just different words for the same thing.Was he just speaking nonsense to throw him off? Or was he meaning something else.

His later point though did have some merits, as he supposed with the right magic such things might be done. A question of scale. Moritz however could not help answering sarcastically to the end of this, quite odd for him as the idea of sarcasm was somewhat foreign to the boy. That being said he did not perhaps use it quite right, and ended up with an over exaggerated tone among other faults. But while he did see some merit to the mans words, the idea that all magics were as such...

"Right, because my gifted eyes are going to slaughter a thousand by glowing and having no other impact on the physical world. All things you see of as magic are clearly the same and just as threatening, and so should all be treated the same. And I'm definitely not being sarcastic."

And then Alric began, and Moritz focus was totally on the spar. First he came in with some weak jabs, Moritz afterwards felt they were meant to be weak or haphazard, but he was not quite skilled enough to tell this before the attacks were made. As it was he mainly dodged, feeling more sure of his ability to move than directly attacking or blocking or even diverting a blow. He could stand on his hands and moving about a bit that far, could do rolls and the like, which was much more than he could say in his combat abilities. Still though as it was a part of his combat technique he felt it was a bit of both.

He sidestepped the first few jabs with some foot motion, and then threw up his arms to ward off a few more. Luckily they were weak, and so only stung for a moment.

Hearing the history of Sunberth a bit, at least from one perspective- that of a Sunberthian- was interesting, but left Moritz wondering how much was not being told. Was there more to that truth, if it was true what the man said? Or was that the whole tale? In his existence he had seen many complicated things, so it seemed likely there was more to things, but he could not say for sure. Nor could he say for sure that was all there was to it.

At his explanation of his age Alric did not seem overly surprised, at least not for long. Though he was unsure if that was because the man did not believe him, or if it was because he did believe and just assumed it was the truth after all the things Moritz had said.

This thinking though was enough to distract the kelvic, and he was forced to mutely block by throwing up his arms in a defensive stance before he got his mind back on the fight and was able to focus on his techniques. The kicks of the feet bounced off his shins, stinging but not overly so, and his arms began to sting from the repeated blows, but he did his best to endure. None had enough force really to break or permanently hurt, but he would likely have a few bruises the next day from some of the luckier landing hits.

When Alric began to use a more focused and complex series of attacks Moritz responded with a dodge away turned into a dive and a roll. He thrust his body to the side and then tucked, moving so that one shoulder hit the ground and then he came back up after turning head over heels to land on his feet. After that he popped back up and turned back to face Alric, now having put a bit of distance between them. Already he was breathing heavier even from the short fight, though he had not done too much compared to Alric. Alric on the other hand had been doing quite a bit, while Moritz had mainly been passive with blocks or small dodges. And that just after Alric was smoking his... Smoke spewer thing. Pipe?

That and he had been talking, while Moritz for the most part had not. He was still listening, not ignoring the man, but his main focus was on the fight. Not when it took so much conscious effort to fight. Because of that he had little to spare on responding, though he still heard his words and would likely mull them over later.

As they paused though and Alric was speaking, he frowned at one of the mans words, working to catch his own breath from his exertions as he was. Even in his half listening state he knew it was wrong, what the man was saying.

"I don't think... You understand... Tactics... Its not all... Big grand stuff. Pre-planned. It can be... Smaller... In the moment... Things as well. Good tactics... Are changed based on... The moment. The circumstances. The landscape. Changing things. Everything. Not planned... In advance."

Having finished talking and Alric pausing as well Moritz inspected the man, considering his motions and words. From their short fight it was clear enough Alric had more practice than he. But it also seemed Moritz was more dexterous than the other person. Or if not then the man was purposely pretending to be less dexterous. Though from his earlier words of focusing only on simple unarmed combat and nothing else he felt this was unlikely to be the case, and it likely was his limits in that regard.

Unfortunately even knowing this, his own limits and advantages as well as his foes which was the simplest first step in making up a tactic for victory, he was unsure how to use this to win a spar. He was not even truly faster, he was simply more fluid in his secondary motions rather than faster in actual attacks and things, which while helping was not enough.

Thinking heavily Moritz realized another factor, he was a bit taller than the other man. Which likely meant he had greater reach. This was of some help he supposed, but not too much...

Keeping a bit of motion Moritz continued to move about in place, not letting his body tense up and keeping from locking himself into a single spot where he was easy to predict. They were not too far apart though, and so any closing would happen quickly.

Moving forward at once Moritz came at Alric, only to seemingly stumble. Gauging the distance as best he could Moritz kept falling in this stumble, only to turn it into a dive and pop up just in front of where Alric had been out of another roll. Hopefully having thrown the man off Moritz aimed with a quick jab of his left and then a stronger punch with his right, before retreating once more.

WC: 1,309
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on November 15th, 2021, 7:56 pm

He would have chuckled at Moritz’s words if her were not trying to keep his breathing regulated and steady. Despite his lazy approach in the first forays of their sparring he could still feel that he was on the verge of deeper breathing. He was trying not to push past that boundary as it meant he both maintained more control but also psychologically the appearance would throw off the…rather large toddler. He still wondered about that but he had no time to be distracted – he would ask when they were done. When he wanted to he could focus quite singularly, provided it was something of interest or value.

He breathed in through his nose and out through his mouth, keeping his guard up as they went back and forth. Moritz seemed to like to jump around a lot – tactics Alric supposed. He was quite a bit more agile than he was despite his size. Alric tried to move with him as best he could but whilst his footwork was sure it was not as quick. More than once he had to hop and shifts back and forwards, or sideways. He watched his opponent as he moved and started trying to mimic him – he had some modicum of success but he had to do his best to try to disguise the half stumbles every so often.

“If one does not know their strengths, and darkness,” he said as he took a break as an opportunity to take in deep breaths to ease the slight burning in his chest, sweat staining his brow, “then how can they not fall into the pit of misuse?”

It wasn’t really an argument he was having, mostly he just wanted to see what Moritz thought, assuming he would respond. He was an interesting fellow and so far had given him much to think upon even if he didn’t know it. He steadied his feet and brought his palms up as Moritz came at him, stumbled…and then rolled towards him. He stepped back at the last minute when he realised but still it was difficult to bat away the attacks with his palms, twisting his torso as the last one grazed across his shoulder and a little grin came to his face.

“Very nice…neat trick” he said as he breathed deeply and flowed forwards himself almost straight away.

This time his attacks were slightly quick but his hands were just distractions really. Something to occupy Moritz as he closed in to bring around his feet, left foot out and thrust forwards aiming to push into his chest and them followed up with his right foot coming in sideways aimed at the ribs. He would follow it up by ducking down and aiming for a rough sweep – far from graceful but he wasn’t a professional fighter he was a street fighter if needed – for the legs.

Whether he landed them or not he knew he’d end up more tired, having expended the energy, and also more knowledgeable as to what Moritz was capable of. He wasn’t fighting to win but to learn, all of his attacks were strong enough to cause a grunt maybe but not enough to damage. He’d retreat and seek to gather his breath and muster his energy for the next back and forth.

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Moritz Craven on November 16th, 2021, 12:02 am

The longer their sparring continued the more winded Moritz was becoming. While it was a good workout and he was probably in better shape than the smoke drinking man, he still was a living person of flesh and had limits. Perhaps some day he would be able to chug along for bells with no hint of tiring, but he was not there yet.

As Moritz moved Alric tried to copy some of what he did, though with less success. In truth Moritz was uncertain what the man was trying to do, leaving him with more of an impression of half copying than actually copying. He certainly had none of the rolls or dives or such Moritz had and used at times.

When in the midst of the motions Alric tried to say something nonsensical Moritz simply tossed it aside, not understanding it. In fact, thinking it over as he listened, he was unsure if those were even actual usages of the common tongue? Instead he simply gave a "What?" in query before moving on.

When he tried his surprise trick he was somewhat caught off guard, not entirely able to avoid the rush at him by surprise but still managing to ward them them off by deflecting or blocking them. Still, it did seem to indicate his plan had been somewhat successful, and had certainly caught the man off guard. Rather than anger Alric this close call seemed to excite Alric, bringing a smile to his face.

Sweat on his brow and in other spots Moritz smiled back as he responded.

"Thanks... I just... Though... It up... Now..."

By now Moritz was beginning to feel a bit of a stitch form in his side, though he did not want to end things too quickly.

Soon after this Alric responded with more attacks, by now his own arms not moving as fast and so leaving him more open as he grew more tired. He blocked several blows by bringing up his eyes protectively, and managed to side step a few others in a simple dodge. His motion though was also hindered and not as quick as before, and beginning to tell.

After that Alric came in with a series of kicks, which Moriz responded to by diving away. When he was forced to doge by diving and rolling away he felt his shoulder hit the ground, and then began to pop back up, but did not manage to fully extend and stretch back to a standing position. Luckily he had moved directly away and so had been far out of range of the sweep, but he himself was not in range to attack back either.

Holding up a hand Moritz panted, motioning for the man to stop.

"Enough. Thats... Good... For now..."

Rising slowly Moritz stood, assuming the man would not attack he would head over to the nearby bench and plunk down by his items. From within he would pull out a waterskin and take a pull, wiping the sweat from his brow with the other hand. After this he would sit and try to catch his breath, focusing on slowing his fast beating heart by slowing and easing his breathing.

If Alric came nearby or sat beside him Moritz word offer the waterskin so that the other man could take a pull, before returning it to his bag.

After a chime or two of this his breathing would be relatively back to normal, though not quite fully back to where he had been before they began. And if nothing else he was certainly a lot sweatier, meaning he would need to change clothes and wash when he got back.

"If you want, I could show you a trick or two, with the acrobatics. I've only learned the basic stuff, but I think I know some stuff even a novice could do with some practice. Some of it wouldn't be too useful in combat, but it can help move on to other things... Stepping stones, so to speak."

WC: 668
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext