Solo Taking a Job Part II

Crylon and Sona continue their journey into a dead mages home

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Taking a Job Part II

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on November 25th, 2019, 2:26 am

continued 4 Fall 519

For a few moments the section of wall was sliding outward. Just enough that a crack was visible, before it stopped. It did not swing open dramatically, in fact it was almost without sound except for the faint rasp of stone on stone as the granite brushed against its brethren.

"Ah, you found it!" Sona cried, rushing over to the small opening in the wall. It had opened enough to easily fit a hand in, and so Sona grabbed the lip and pulled. The segment of wall being well made, it opened easily enough on its mounted hinges. Three hinges along its length, not floor to ceiling but still big enough for a full sized human to stoop a bit and step through. For Crylon it was high enough he could step through without having to duck really at all.

Sona rushed in, only to find she could not see. Unlike the Isur she did not have vision prepared for the darkness. Another thing he was thankful for, he thought to himself, Izurdin crafting him and all Isur to be prepared for living where they came from, Sultros and Kalea. Strong bones for cave ins and standing up to threats, a strong arm blessed by his might, and good eyes able to see through the semi-darkness in a different manner but clearly.

As she could not see Sona went back into the study and lit a lamp with a striker for just that. Its flickering warmth and light was enough for the human to see by, and so she took it and headed into the wall again with Crylon shortly behind.

Seeing inside, Crylon could not help but smile at what he was seeing. Some creative usage of space and stonework to create... A secret passage. How blessed was he, that he was able to help the Meraki while also seeing such things as this. He would truly need to thank Kelski when he got back, for offering him the chance to explore this place. Though admittedly she had offered it to all of the Meraki group, but still if she had not invited him along, had not welcomed him into her home and into her burgeoning settlement he would not have been there to take the offer. He supposed though most if not all of the members knew Kelski and had been brought in by her. So in that he was not alone.

Inside the wall along the back of the room was an empty corridor. A passage ending at a dead end on the one side, the side where the storage room was, and on the other... A set of stairs. The corridor was a bit cramped, certainly not more than one person could fit in at a time forcing them to go single file, but big enough for a human to make their way through turned sideways.

Down they went, until pacing Crylon realized that they were below the level of the ground outside. And still they went down a few more steps, before making it to a landing. At that point the stairs turned suddenly, leading off underneath the building at the landing while keeping more or less the same size.

"I think it opens ahead Crylon, I can see something."

“"Praise Izurdin Isur are not claustrophobic” Crylon muttered to himself in Isurian.

WC: 557
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Taking a Job Part II

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on November 28th, 2019, 12:40 am

After the turn the passage descended for a bit, before coming to stop at another door. This one was much simpler, not meant to ward off intruders it seemed as that was the job of the first. A simple handle opened the door and let it swing open silently, revealing the darkness within... Except, the room was not dark even without any light but the lamp Sona held.

Across the room Crylon could see a faint glowing within the darkness, something which Crylon found oddly familiar but that he could not place. Something he had seen in the tunnels of Sultros? Or some other time? Or some similar light giving glow in the dark thing?

For a moment Crylon inspected the door, noting its thickness. If he had to wager a guess, this door was for blocking sound not people. Perhaps, Crylon reasoned, so that anyone down below would not be so easily heard by those above.

As Sona raced about lighting further lamps in the room, Crylon's mind fell back to Sultros. Perhaps it was the glow. Or perhaps being below ground. Or perhaps just the wisps of magic or its promise in the secretive environment. It all brought him back to his old master in Sultros who had taught him magic.

The man had been tough on Crylon, but had given him a chance not many received. To be inducted and allowed to test their ability in manipulating magic. To be a mage. Like this man here whose home Crylon and Sona were inspecting. While Crylon might not have felt like he was up to his masters expectations, or that those expectations were fair, he was still thankful to the man. He had taken him on as a student, had given him the chance to learn, had put him on the path that had led him here.

If not for all of that, he would not have lived, experienced, or become who he was and what he had. It had been many years since he had been in Sultros, since he had been back in Sultros. He was not even certain if his old master still lived, or had passed on. But regardless Crylon still thought of him, and was thankful for the chance he had been given by him. To be a mage. To expand his understanding of things. To learn. And that had led to him leaving.

As Sona finished lighting the lamps and the room became fully visible, Crylon saw what a mages hidden lab might look like. It was a mess, it was odd, full of odd things. Books. Papers. Benches and tables of metal with bits of detritus and loose papers. A large cushioned chair with a small table beside it covered with books.

And oddest of all was what appeared to be a clear glass box with a top that could open on a hinge and was currently closed, which had been the source of the glowing. Now that the lamp light had risen the glowing was hidden, but Crylon had enough experience with tunnels to understand that the stronger light was simply overpowering and hiding the glow but that it was likely still there.

Moving in close Crylon saw what filled the tank. Dirt on the bottom, with some plants and things which had clearly been put there rather than grown there. And a dozen or so large snails. They had a dark purple shell, and slowly moved about the case.

While Sona ran off to inspect the books, Crylon looked closer at the tank and its contents.

Pets? Experiment subjects? From context alone Crylon could not tell, but was interested in why they were there. A good bit of effort had clearly gone into putting them there, giving them a home, feeding them, which meant they could not be there for nothing. Surely not?

WC: 644
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Taking a Job Part II

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on November 28th, 2019, 1:19 am

"So, what do you think" Sona asked Crylon as she continued her rounds of the room.

Crylon in turn paused, considering before responding. As was his habit. As was his way. As was his manner. Pause, think, then speak.

“Not sure. Is found new place, is good, is maybe what want. But also... Odd. And why glass box with snails? Is seem... Still missing something.”

Sona nodded, not seeming to focus too much on the Isur as she walked about the room. She was clearly more interested in the room and its contents, something Crylon could not blame her for.

He was simply glad she had come along to help, and thankful the chance to come and do this work had arisen. And interesting work it was turning out to be. A hidden room underground, odd things in a lab or workspace. What more could he have hoped to find? Almost like it had been chosen for him and his skills, something he could do quite well. Unlike his usage of magic.

Though as he thought on such things and words from his old master speaking poorly on his usage of magic, Crylon thought back to Kelski. She had been one of the first people he had met who had genuinely encouraged his magic. Who had seen promise, and assured him he would learn it in time. That perhaps it was as much poor teaching previously from his master, as opposed to all his own fault as the student.

It gladdened him to think of such things, of such words. While she might be harsh to her foes, Kelski had a way about her with her allies. Her friends. Those she considered a part of her group. She was encouraging, trusting, and saw promise in people. Or at least those select few she entrusted her sight to.

It was something Crylon did not see much of, always trying for more and hoping to increase his skills while comparing himself to master Isur who had all but perfected the craft of their choosing. Crylon though, he did feel he had promise. Was going somewhere. Would become excellent in all of his endeavors. In time. And if not now, then that was not so bad. He still had other way to contribute. Like this work he was doing here now. Not that exploring dead mages houses in search of hidden rooms was all to common. But still, it was something he could do.

And he was gladdened by those words, thinking back on Kelski, as he looked about the room. If they left now they had done enough. Could leave and tell the mages family of the hidden room. How to get there. Where to go. But he also felt his report was not complete, and he could find something else. Like why the snails? That surely was at the core of it all.

Sitting in the large comfortable chair across the room, Crylon reached over and took the book from the top of the pile on the table next to it as he plopped down. Sitting there, reading, and such, seemed right. Something the mage would have done. And so with a desire to follow in his footsteps Crylon moved along as he thought the now dead mage might have.

Opening the book he found it titled simply. "Snails, a compendium of creations and djed."

Not past the first page, and Crylon was sure he had found something. Flipping through the book he could see it was half empty, and some bits quite freshly inked compared to some bits. Perhaps inked by the mages own quill?

Turning to a page, Crylon read on, enjoying the odd find on the odd journey he had been blessed to partake of on behalf of the Meraki.

"I saw them yesterday, moving. But moving in a way not moving. Like... How a color shifts from red to blue, but with directions. Diagonal and to the left, but not. It has to be magic. How else can snails get about as they do? Surely it is magic. I have it, of course. They are moving, but not moving. Moving at full speed, and transferring most of the speed off to some magical pursuit. A deep magic they work upon the world which it seems all the others are blind to. But I can see it. I can see. And once I learn how to tap into that hidden magic, I too will work magic by moving and seeming to do nothing."

WC: 755
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Taking a Job Part II

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on November 28th, 2019, 1:40 am

As Crylon read onward, he felt he understood. He knew what the mage meant. But he also felt that the mages line of logic and reasoning were quite... Limited. Rather than taking in the information, the choices, and coming forth with the most logical solution, this man had come to a rather constrained one.

Snails moved slowly, and so they were... Storing magic, or funneling their excess energies into some slowly performed magic upon the world? It was quite an odd theory to say the least, but which did explain the case full of snails the man kept.

Not for the first time in human lands, Crylon felt himself grateful that he was an Isur. Not bound in some ways by a humans understanding, but also a more constrained and steadfast person. Less likely perhaps then to run off on odd lines of logic. To rush to find any solution, rather than the correct one.

“Izurdin... Thank you, for crafting we the Isur as you did. For honoring us by your creation, by making us of your own line, to be of your own blood. In my time among humans I have seen much. Seen many good people. Seen many bad. Seen wise beings, and those less so. In time, I trust that I will do all I can to bring glory to you and my brethren the Isur. I trust that some day I will return home, grown and skilled. I trust that all in time I will do as I must. I trust you, and give thanks for all you have done and do for the Isur. Lead me on the path you wish for me, and lead me from the paths which end in complacence and waste and failure.”

While he had been praying Sona had come over, checking what Crylon was reading. She read the words on the page, snorted, and shook her head.

"What, so this nutter thought snails were magic? Like, going about throwing magic as they crept along an inch a day? Well that explains the snails. You think he was right?"

Crylon paused, considering, thinking.

“I think.... Not nough information. But... Think, no information that does lead to think is correct. So maybe is leap on conclusion before find right question. But... Only prove false, not so easy prove true. And if was true, how would know? Is think, with all see, not things cannot explain? Is seem more odd things about than magic snails. So maybe right, maybe wrong. But not know sure. Is open though, best way thinking. Who knows, maybe is true in odd way, and could be of use.”

Smiling, Crylon paused in his inspection of the book once more.

“But... Probably not. Is probably wrong. But not sure, so best leave open till know more. More likely though, snails just slow, not magic.”

Sona shook her head, moving across the room again. Under her breath she once more ranted at Crylon and his oddness as an Isur.

Crylon felt this was odd, seeing as he did not think anything he had said was odd. Perhaps a bit indecisive, perhaps, but he preferred to thinking of it as leaving himself open to options. He had been blessed by Izurdin with a long life. He could well use that by not leaping to conclusions and properly examining things.

Though he doubted he would be spending too much of that time examining snails for magic. That, he had to admit, might be a dead end. Or at least something not possible to prove, and which left him many better method of examining magic.

WC: 603
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Taking a Job Part II

Postby Alric Lysane on January 6th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Your Grades

Crylon Stonecraft

Skills

Investigation – 3
Logic – 3
Observation – 3
Reading – 2
Rhetoric - 1

Lores

Kelski: Gatherer of Strays
Kelski: Harsh to Foes, Kind to Friends
Mage’s Hidden Lab: Layout, Characteristics & Inventory
Magic Snails: Dead End…Or Are They?
Mystery: The Enjoyment of Puzzling It Out

Comments

An enjoyable read, very nice. Let me know if you ahve any concerns with the grade.

Please remember to edit your grade request post. Cheers

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2