[Sanctuary] Welcoming In The New Year - A Celebration (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on March 1st, 2011, 8:18 pm

ImageTimestamp: 1st of Spring, 511 AV
Reason: Celebrating the New Year

Kavala gathered them together on the Veranda in the chill of the evening on the last day of Winter. She'd set out braziers all over the veranda to warm it. The firepit and hearth were burning wood as well, spilling light onto the traditional gathering spot of the denizens of Sanctuary, welcoming even strangers on this holy of holy nights.

Kavala believed in celebrations. She believed in giving thanks for things that had passed and for blessings that were current. Mizahar had too few holidays. People feared the date of the Valterrian. But Kavala wanted to welcome it. She wanted to celebrate the survival of life, even through change, and in remembrance of those that had passed, candles spilled out across almost every surface. Where there were no candles food filled the area.

Kavala had spent the last day of Winter cooking. Trays of meats were out along with vegetables, breads, spreads, and all sorts of fruits. There were pies and cakes and cookies. A huge vegetable stew and similar pot of chili simmered on the hearth pulled out of the heat of the fire and flames. Cheese filled trays along with already fixed sandwiches and meatrolls. Truthfully she'd tried to think of everything anyone might want, including snacks of fried potato chips and twisted hard baked pretzels.

Wine bottles littered the area, chilling in big wooden tubs filled with ice she'd purchased from the ice monger in town. There were kegs of ale, pitchers of juices, and ice cold water of all sorts. Tea heated on a tea service and a rich drink made of chocolate was also available. Kavala had spared no expense for the party and indeed had made up each of the guests a cloth bag filled with 'goodies' to help the festivities along. She'd reveal what was in each one as they were needed. And until then, she had Aweston at the gate greeting people and passing out random cloth bags to them as they entered.

The word had been spread in Riverfall and Endrykas that the facility would be celebrating the new year quietly and everyone was invited. Particularly welcome were musicians, poets, and even singers for the group needed entertainment as well. The festivities were scheduled for dusk on the night of the last day of winter and would continue until dawn on the first day of spring.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Mizuriel on March 1st, 2011, 10:11 pm

OOCI am sorry if i don't do much in a thread like this one, as i imagine my character like someone who would have trouble relaxing around so much strangers. :) Oh, and thank you for allowing me to take part in the event.
It was a glorious festivity, and it was bigger than any that Mizuriel had attended before. The place was decorated so simply, yet it did the job all too well. Looking down towards the food he remembered that Kavala was cooking for the whole past day, and that made him feel slight shame, as there was pretty much nothing he could do in order to help prepare the feast.

While getting carried away in thought, he almost forgot he no longer had Samantha in his view. As soon as the realization had hit him, he quickly started scoping the room. He was not afraid for her safety…. yet, but then again, better safe than sorry. As soon as he got her back in his sight, he sighed in relief. She was checking out the food, and he couldn’t blame her; after all the poor meals they had while Mizuriel was in charge of the cooking, she deserved some change, something better.

He smiled briefly, before considering the amount of liquor in the room. And as soon as he had taken the alcohol into account, a stern smirk made its way back onto his face. With all that booze someone was bound to get drunk, and even while the man had nothing against some good times, there was such a thing as too much fun. He would be much more relaxed if Sam wasn’t here, but such was not the case here, so he was bound to be a little tense, even if it all seemed meaningless.

He was not really good at getting relaxed and being overly friendly with strangers, but there was something he could do well, he could babysit. Progressing across the Veranda, he avoided people like they were molten, only to finally reach his daughter and lay a hand on her shoulder. She quickly dropped what she was doing, twitching her arm slightly, before turning around and grinning with her cheeks fat from the food she still had in her mouth.

“You having fun?” the man asked in a soft manner as he crouched next to the girl, wondering would she ever complain about his parenting skills should her voice return. When she nodded simply, he knew at least something was right, while he could not feel relaxed at events like these, it was a good thing she was still able to enjoy them fully. Truly this was a good place for a new start, even if he had doubted it a bit in the beginning. There was simply no point in searching further, and even if there was, he doubted he still had the strength to try it all over again.
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Daeva Timandre on March 1st, 2011, 11:22 pm

Daeva had been preoccupied with Masou, who was gradually getting better use of his now fully healed limb. The Akontak had been taking him out on smaller-scale hunts; mostly for hares and tunneling rodents that often make their home in the great plains. Ever since the attack with the wild hog, Daeva had been keeping an eye out on the vicinity, just in case another of those petching beasts decided to tear one into her canine companion once again. Soon she would have to find another wolf pup to keep him company, to keep the pack strong, and to allow them to hunt in greater range.

For now though, Daeva had smelled the cooking food before she saw Kavala laying them out. And for the first time since she’s been here, the akontak felt the hunger that clawed at her stomach. Masou stood by her side, tongue lolling out of his mouth at the scent of the tasty meats that permeated the air. “Keep that tongue to yourself, you mangy dog.” She teased. Masou wagged his tail excitedly in response.

Daeva wore a dress she’d gotten at the Bazaar earlier that day. It was simple, strapless, and white, with ruffled ends, just for the party. But it wasn’t Daeva that truly wanted to present herself with such formality, it was Citlali who had given her the suggestion, and begrudgingly, the darker twin obliged. Her white hair was loose around her shoulders, but at her belt were held her twin suvai. The weapon was a way to ease the tension, knowing she had it on her, and a reminder to others that she wasn’t exactly as harmless as she might have appeared.

The first stop was to the kegs of ale.
Daeva Timandre
I wrestled with angels all my life.

Words: 45274
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2011, 2:02 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Riki Stormheart on March 1st, 2011, 11:53 pm

How wonderful was it that there was a party that started the day Riki had arrived at the Sanctuary! He walked onto the veranda with Sadie following behind loyally. "This is our debut, at least in a way. Let's see if we can get you some food Sadie my dear." Sadie's tail wagged playfully and she let out a little bark. Riki was happy he had found a place that was so tolerant of animals. It was not everywhere he could walk into a party with Sadie.

The party was quite impressive to say the least. Riki was much more used to the partying that took place in Endrykas. He was already feeling comfortable in the Sanctuary though. It seemed so open and welcoming. "Sade, Jonas would love this. I wonder when he will show up." Sadie let out a little woof and scampered forward toward the food. "Sadie! Come back here!" Riki jogged after his furry friend chuckling as he went. When the pair finally stopped they were gazing at the table of food. Riki looked over the table trying to choose what was safe for Sadie to eat. He picked up a few pretzels and tossed them to Sadie. She panted happily and gobbled up the twisted treats. Riki laughed and bent down to Sadie's level. "You are so cute Saders. You eat just like your mother." He ruffled up Sadie's fur and kissed her on the cheek. She retaliated with a few slobbery kisses of her own. "Okay, come on you little flirt, let's mingle."

Looking around the party Riki's eyes stopped on a more secluded pair. There was a man standing by himself with a younger girl. Riki did not have anyone to talk to besides Sadie so he walked over to the man. "Hello sir, I'm Riki, Riki Stormheart and this is Sadie." Sadie panted and wagged her tail playfully. He looked down at the little girl and smiled. "Hello to you too." Riki was not normally the most outspoken person but he wanted to make a good impression on the people of the Sanctuary. If he seemed like a holed up turtle of a man then why should they hire him? "I take it you are a worker at the Sanctuary?" He hoped that the man was friendly. Although Riki tried to hide it he was a little scared of being so far from home. He did not know anyone but Sadie and his brother Jonas. Half the time he did not even know where Jonas was though.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Murdoch on March 2nd, 2011, 3:32 am

As far as Riverfall went, Doc didn't know shyke about shyke. There were rules about getting in trouble, but it seemed like there was less to worry about since he couldn't pop a little blue bastard out of his ass. Really, so long as he kept his fingers off whatever ladies might be capable of that, it seemed he had little to worry about.

Well, to be fair, keeping his hands off the ladies was enough to worry about.

But he didn't have to know much beyond ale, Sanctuary, now. Didn't have to, but he'd asked around anyway. Didn't hurt to be thorough. And so the rakish gambler (not thief, no, never that) found his footsteps leading him to the exceedingly strange complex devoted to animals of all sorts and a good deal of fine horseflesh. He hadn't worn anything special for the occasion, but then again his clothes were all practically brand new. His leather pants and jerkin were just worn in enough to fit him like a glove, and he'd shaved a few days prior so he had his usual scratchy stubble adorning his face. Quite average, if one were to see him in a crowd - not too tall, not too handsome, nothing really stand-out-ish to his figure other than the slight swagger to his walk and the occasional charming smile were someone to catch his eye. Daeva got a true smile, more heartfelt than the others, and a nod that he'd be making his way to her soon enough - assuming she didn't look like she wanted to chop his balls off for something or other.

He twisted the little cloth bag that Aweston had given him around one finger and back again, slowly as if savoring the anticipation of finding out what might be within. He no longer noticed the black fingernails that adorned his hands, as if stained with some ink in his blood, and he'd been too long working ships to care about wearing gloves to hide them.

He'd spoken a few quiet words with the man on his way in, and so it was easy to spot the woman who was responsible for this little shin-dig: a Konti, of course. He stared at her a moment and felt something thrash and pull within him, though nothing but a moment of blankness made it to his face, covered almost immediately by a friendly smile as he approached Kavala.

"I am made to understand that we've you to thank for this celebration," he said smoothly, smiling as he gave a bow and then straightened to pull a small handful of bright pink tissue paper from his pocket. His smile twisted into something more lop-sided, a little dry and self-depricating, and the smallest flash of his teeth showed through - oil-slicked ebony, the strangest iridescent shimmer, as if they were made of something entirely different.

"A thanks, for the celebration," he chuckled, offering it to her. Inside she would find delicately carved wooden bangle bracelet with a silver design laid atop it. "I had heard you were fond of horses, madam," he murmured.

OOC-2gm for Silver Bracelet
Murdoch
Player

Words: 128476
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 4th, 2011, 7:39 pm

ImageAs far as events went, Kavala was definitely not used to hosting them. But regardless, she simply planned the way she'd want to enjoy a party - good food, good company, intimate conversation, and perhaps a little music and hearty drinks. Some of the people she'd invited were folks she'd recently hired. Others, she knew, would wander in from Riverfall and be a complete surprise. She was looking forward to seeing both, and quietly greeted each guest as they arrived.

Little Samantha received a ball made of hardened leather that had a bit of a bounce to it. Kavala handed it to her and then introduced her to Savan who was a one year old Silkena dog. "Throw the ball for him and he'll love you for life. I'm quite sure there will be other dogs showing up soon and you'll have too many to deal with. But I know he'll appreciate some attention before they get here if you like dogs at all, that is." Kavala encouraged the girl, then smiled at her father. They had yet to really 'talk' about Samantha and how he came to be traveling alone with a child. It was a discussion someday they'd have, Kavala was certain, but not today. Today was a day of giving thanks and celebrating. "I'm glad you came, Mizuriel. I hope you'll get to know some of the others. It's a magical night, tonight. They say the people you meet on New Years Eve hold a special place in your heart the rest of your life." Kavala said, then gave the man a gentle touch on his shoulder.

When Daeva arrived, Kavala smiled and introduced her to Mizuriel and Samantha. She complimented her on the new dress, which did indeed look fabulous, and then got out of the way so she could hit the ale. Kavala would introduce her to others as they came in, and meanwhile kept putting food out and fussing with candles. She was curious if any of the kelvics would show up or if Hatot would put in an appearance.

Kavala was glad that Riki made himself comfortable immediately, introducing himself to Mizuriel and Samantha and being somewhat entertaining to the girl. She smiled in gratitude as he walked in and made himself welcome. It was nice to have a bright smile and good personality around, someone who knew how to be welcoming as well. It gave her a chance to turn her attention on the newcommer whom she'd never seen before.

"Hello. I'm Kavala. Please make yourself welcome. But I would be grateful to have your name so I could introduce you around."
The konti scanned his face, noting the teeth and nails, disconcerting but not damning in themselves. She immediately assumed he was mixed blood, though mixed with what she wasn't certain. "Yes, I'm throwing the New Years vigil, but all are welcome and no thanks are needed." When he offered her the token of his appreciation, she started to refuse then saw it. It was beautiful. She rose to her feet, offered him a slight bow, and smiled gratefully at him. "Offering women bracelets in Riverfall have meaning here. It is a sort of contract." She smiled, almost a little mischievous in a way. "And depending on who we are we cannot refuse. It is a contract to birth a child for you. If I put this on, it means I must share your bed at least once a day at your choosing until you sire a child on me. A free woman could say no. A Nakivak like me could not refuse." Kavala said, then smiled, showing him her wrist. A bracelet already graced it made of gold and gems. "Fortunately someone already beat you to it." Her slightly thickened middle also gave it away.

Kavala read the humor in his eyes and hoped he had a strong sense of irony and whimsy as well. "But I'd like to keep it none the less. It's lovely, though I cannot wear it until I am free." She said. There was no bitterness in her voice, and definitely humor infusing her words. She was teasing him, abeit lightly. "Please, get your self something to drink and I'll introduce you around." She said, smiling. Kavlaa kept the bracelet, loving it already with hits horse head design. Hatot could be mad later, but she'd not dishonor him or anything by wearing it until she had her child. If the man had given her his name, she'd politely mingle with him, introducing him all around.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Mizuriel on March 5th, 2011, 11:08 pm

OOCI hope i have gotten the timeline right, if i made a mistake somewhere, be sure to nudge me about it. Also i have gotten the dog's name wrong on purpose, so don't nudge me about that one :D.

Mizuriel was starting to get a bit less tense, as he slowly soaked in the atmosphere. When he saw Kavala hand something over to Samantha, he remembered one crucial thing, he never really gave the girl any presents. He would need to fix that in the future. He could see the girl smile at Kavala as she was talking about befriending a dog. The man also thought he had heard the name Suvan being mentioned, but shrugged as he wasn’t really sure. Next realization that caught up made him blush, not only did he fail to get presents for Sam, he also failed to get them for everyone else. Shame was not on his mind for too long as he noticed that the girl had hugged Kavala. It sure seemed like she loved the attention, and gifts she was getting, so Mizuriel noted he should get her presents from time to time.

When the Konti spoke to him, he almost jumped up as he was concentrated on watching over Sam. What she had told him, made him blush a little. People he would meet tonight would have a place in his heart? That made little sense to the skeptic in him, but still he tried his best to believe it. It took him a while to open his mouth, but when he did, he spoke in a kind tone: “I am glad we came as well. Thank you for leaving the door open to us, also I would like to apologize for not having any presents for you. We never really celebrated New Year, the two of us. I guess a little change will do us good, we certainly needed it…” he stopped talking as a small smile appeared on his face when Samantha threw the ball and started to run along with the dog. As soon as he reverted back to Kavala, he continued: “Thank you for making her feel welcome. I seem to have forgotten the value of kindness somewhere along the road.” he stopped talking after he scolded himself.

Soon after, a young woman, Akalak by skin, but Konti by hair stepped into the crowd followed by what looked like a wolf. Trusting Kavala’s judgement instead of his own, he did not stay clear of the woman when she approached. Voicing the manners almost mechanically, with a subtle tone, he spoke to the Akontak: “It is a pleasure to meet you Daeva.” Pointing to the wolf he asked: “What is his, or her name?” Soon after the greetings were done, the woman passed by and proceeded towards the booze. Mizuriel knew better than to bother her.

Before getting the chance to see where Sam was, he was approached by yet another stranger. So this one was called Riki? Mizuriel almost started laughing at the thought of mixing up or forgetting all the names he was bombarded with. Before he could actually explode into laughter however, he returned the attention he was given: “I am pleased to have your acquaintance Riki Stormheart, Sadie too.” as the man said hi to Sam as well, he finally managed to get her in his sight again. As he sighed, he replied to Riki: “My name is Mizuriel, her name is Samantha, and the dog standing next to her is Suvan, or Sovan or Savan… or something like that.” the man shook his head unsure of the dogs name.

“I indeed do work here, I take it you are joining us soon as well? This truly is a magnificent place, thought I am quite new here myself. So what brought you here?” Mizuriel continued, while trying to make a pleasant conversation, his people skills had to evolve eventually anyway.

He was glad he got to be a part of something bigger, and he could now feel that certain joy that came with being a single gear in a perfectly taut machine. He relaxed further as he looked down at Sam, wanting the moment to last forever.
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lakara on March 7th, 2011, 8:18 am

Lakara had only been in Riverfall for a few days, and so she still knew only Kavala properly. She had met some of the other Sanctuary staff, but only in fleeting. After all, it was a busy place. A party would be the perfect place to meet people.

The Konti made her way to the party with anticipation, the pale blue dress fluttering round her knees as she walked. Upon her entry, she could see that there were a lot here already. She paused as a cloth bag was presented to her by someone at the gates. With a light "Thank you", she took it, though she kept it closed, saving the surprise for a later time. She scanned the room, taking in the decorations and the atmosphere. A smile ran over her face, she was sure to have a nice time here.

She stood awkwardly in the room entrance for a moment, unsure of who, or what, to approach. Deciding against waltzing up to random people, she instead made her way to the tables. She looked over the various foods and drinks that Kavala had beautifully laid out for the guests. Though she wasn't particularly hungry, it all looked appetizing. She glanced round, looking for the hostess, to see her conversing a little ways off. She resolved to remain by the table for a while. Perhaps she would approach someone when she had adjusted to the party setting. Either that or someone would come to her.

OOCIt's not particularly exciting, but I didn't want to involve Lakara too much as I'm having a little bit of computer trouble. Seems to be fixed now, so go ahead and talk to her if you want, but if I don't reply for a little while, then my laptop was only pretending to work (:
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Words: 29603
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Riki Stormheart on March 7th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Riki smiled and waved to the dog standing beside Mizuriel and Samantha. "Hello little friend. I'm sure you and Sadie will become good friends." Riki had a bit of a strange habit of talking to animals as if they were sentient beings. While most might have found it a bit strange, he did it out of respect. He could not treat an animal like it was some dumb creature. It was not in his nature. If someone treated Sadie that way he would never forgive them.

"Nice to meet you Mizuriel and Samantha. I do intend on working here. I am a healer and a breeder. I used to hail from Endrykas but I got wind of the Sanctuary and I just felt a compulsion to come." Riki gave a small smile at his seemingly spur of the moment choice. Sadie wagged her tail at Riki's side and padded over to Samantha's side. She sniffed gingerly at the girl's sleeve and nudged her with her nose. She wanted a good scratch behind the ears but even a nice pat on the head would do. "It looks like Sadie is already making friends." Riki was happy to see that Sadie was taking this new environment so well. He worried that the move from Endrykas might have stressed her out as well as moving into the Sanctuary. "If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? I have not seen anywhere past the borders of Cyphrus." He had heard things about cities far away from his homeland. There were snowy cities and even ones with huge stone building. Riki could not help but wonder which one Mizuriel had come from.

A smaller woman was walking alone and Riki spotted her from the corner of his eye. She seemed to be lined with the same luminescent scales as Kavala. Riki gave her a small smile and waved to her. "Hello, would you like to join us? I cannot help but see you are walking around alone." Riki had been quiet shy growing up and even now he was. He told himself at the Sanctuary he would try and come out of his shell. He would need to if he was going to help the others around him. He knew what it was like to wander around alone hoping that someone would call him over to talk. It was never a good feeling and besides, he wanted to get to know everyone at the Sanctuary. If he was going to stay there it would be a good first step.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Murdoch on March 14th, 2011, 1:53 am

"Ah, my apologies then, Kavala," he replied with another smile, as if savoring the taste of her name. "I did not realize my gift could be taken as more than it was meant. Yet another eccentricity of Riverfall that I shall be sure to remember," he chuckled. Her teasing was taken in all good humor, and he returned by giving her belly a mournful look as if regretful that someone had indeed beaten him to the offer.

"My name is Murdoch Kin'rath, though most simply call me Doc. Not for any medical reasons, simply because I must be one who encourages familiarity. And I do not complain, because it suits me, and enjoy making new friends," he chuckled. At her direction, he found a mug of ale and filled it, then offered an arm to her as she waved him towards the rest of the party. He was, if nothing, well versed in how to best impress a woman. Some would call it manners, perhaps, but few had ever used the word polite to describe this particular man. "I will console myself with the hope that my gift will one day grace your wrist, and that it brings you pleasure now even if the wearing of it cannot."
Murdoch
Player

Words: 128476
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Next