Outer Space

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Outer Space

Postby Acanthus on June 16th, 2011, 4:21 am

I've always been curious how outer space fits in to the world of Mizahar. How much does the average person know about the final frontier? How much does an expert know? People are obviously aware of the existence of planets, but what do we know of star systems, galaxies, and the universe as a whole? Furthermore, has the existence of aliens been considered, and would it be possible to travel to space through some combination of master-level gadgeteering and magic?
Acanthus
Wizard

Words: 11928
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 9:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Outer Space

Postby Hadrian on June 16th, 2011, 6:01 am

Well, I'd say Summoners and Ethaefal know more than everyone else, but in having Hadrian learn about Summoning, he's been learning about astronomy from Seven, who knows that stuff. He has the math to understand it, though.

Ethaefal start with a +10 bonus in Astronomy or Astrology, but neither skill has been written up.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Outer Space

Postby Acanthus on June 16th, 2011, 7:13 am

I wonder if the Isur could construct a space-faring vessel out of very light material and imbue it with durability so minimal energy would be needed to propel it into space...
Acanthus
Wizard

Character sheet

Outer Space

Postby Panna Cotta on June 16th, 2011, 8:54 am

Hi Acanthus,

I am exploring the same topic as a storyteller and have obtained permission to run a magic ship that can traverse through various worlds using the magic of Summoning. Still, there is still a lot of knots to figure out, but if you ask me, I will tell you to drop a message to Tarot. Basically there's a portal and you enter it, and then you're in another world.

I can say for a fact that Sahovans are well aware of these other worlds in space, as Alahea has a lot of outer space colonies. Nobody has had contact with these colonies, however. Your average human will think of stars as candles in the skies, or Zintila's little glitters, they'd be too engrossed in finding food for tomorrow that they wouldn't really bother with these things.

Although I seem to think that you are thinking of outer space exploration as in space shuttles and astronauts.

:)
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Outer Space

Postby Robynson on June 16th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Panna Cotta wrote:Hi Acanthus,

I am exploring the same topic as a storyteller and have obtained permission to run a magic ship that can traverse through various worlds using the magic of Summoning. Still, there is still a lot of knots to figure out, but if you ask me, I will tell you to drop a message to Tarot. Basically there's a portal and you enter it, and then you're in another world.

I can say for a fact that Sahovans are well aware of these other worlds in space, as Alahea has a lot of outer space colonies. Nobody has had contact with these colonies, however. Your average human will think of stars as candles in the skies, or Zintila's little glitters, they'd be too engrossed in finding food for tomorrow that they wouldn't really bother with these things.

Although I seem to think that you are thinking of outer space exploration as in space shuttles and astronauts.

:)

Bon dia felicidade Panna Cotta,

I have some questions, as I am extremely interested in this.

• How far developed are these worlds that characters would be traversing through?
  • Will the characters be able to explore and thereby “build” the new worlds?
  • What would be the IC “requirements”, so to say, to have knowledge about these other realms? to explore these realm or travel there?

Thank you for your response,
-mike
Robynson
Player

Words: 13387
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2011, 6:16 am
Character sheet

Outer Space

Postby Gossamer on June 16th, 2011, 4:21 pm

I need to remind you guys of one thing.

You cannot leave Mizahar then summon and open a portal back. It's a one way trip unless you have multiple summoners working together as in: Summoners open a portal, summoner 1 goes through, and summoner 2 remains behind to reopen the portal so summoner 1 can get drawn back to Mizahar when the time is right. Then, even with that scenario, there's a lot of things that can go wrong. Portals cannot always be opened at the same location/time/etc that summoners want them too. That's why Alahea lost a lot of summoner's off world.

But as far as ships and space travel, I don't see us doing any sort of spelljamming scenario's anytime soon or making this common place at all. There's a huge vast world on Mizahar to explore first. Anyone can develop a world through the WD Forum, but thus far I don't think any of them have gotten approved due to lack of interest on the creators parts and people not actually finishing up the development. Panna Cotta might be the only one with one that got put through, if I am remembering correctly.

This is not to discourage you, but truthfully Mizahar is not a 'space' type RPG, rather it is a post apocalyptic style survival first one.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Outer Space

Postby Acanthus on June 16th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Hmm...it seems getting lost on an alien world due to a summoning mishap could make a very interesting storyline which would fit with the "survival" theme of Mizahar.
Acanthus
Wizard

Character sheet

Outer Space

Postby Jason Alexander on June 16th, 2011, 9:58 pm

I am a summoner. My PC is what I mean. He will start learning, once he finds another, he may attempt to travel to another world, just to study the plant life. That is the most he will travel, unless he discovers the old colonies.
"Jason Speaking in Common" "Jason Speaking in Nadar-Canoch" "Other People Speaking"
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Words: 63344
Joined roleplay: February 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Outer Space

Postby Panna Cotta on June 17th, 2011, 4:29 am

There are listed worlds in the wiki, that's as far as summoning worlds are developed. Developing this summoning worlds needs both players and storytellers working hand in hand. It's a tough job, even if you've got a good idea, and even if the idea gets approved, creating an entire world is no cheesecake. Gossamer summarized all the problems that's forming a big formidable roadblock in front of my dreams of intergalactic space travel.

I have tried modding for people to jump them to another world, but alas, they either become disinterested or retire too soon. One of the best mizahar-themed threads in terms of space exploration is in Sahova, modded by Tarot and played with Vick, but they are not speedy writers, and are both busy people. I gnaw my fingernails as I wait for the movement of the plot of : The Frontiersman.

As for summonable flora and fauna, I know there is at least one player trying to create her own world(s). Check the world development! You can contribute and peer review Jilitse's article. She is still working on it the last I heard. If you're interested (in creating your own world) you and your co-summoners will greatly benefit in the process.
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Office
Trailblazer (1)