An Everlasting [Flashback]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A spot of blood on the desert, the dark keerdash trees leave in late spring with crimson foliage. Their ruddy shade is an occasional resting place for the Tatsuwaat tribe of Chaktawe.

Postby Reshimi on May 29th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Season of the Spring, Day 20, 509 AV

"Tents will take too much time," she said curtly, eyes focused on the dreadful storm. Though the wave of sand was just touching the horizon, sandstorms were known to move rapidly. They had to move faster.

"To the mountains!" Reshimi agreed, waiting for Melanie to descend from the tree. They took off at a quick jog, until her lungs burned and her feet ached from the constant pounding. And still, they moved on, until the hills became larger and pocketed with holes. None were large enough for three, and she cursed.

Reshimi risked a glance over her shoulder, feeling as if she were being stalked by some predatory animal. The beast that was the storm loomed, as if ready to pounce. They had chimes, if that much, to find decent shelter.

A hole showed itself, a gift from Makutsi, appeared. "There!" she gasped, stumbling into the small cove with flailing arms and weak knees.

Reshimi
Abayla Woman of the Kalanue Tribe

Words: 31281
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 1st, 2011, 3:19 am

Acting quickly, Melanie covered the opening to the cave with her tarp, using several large rocks to secure it in place. While they were safe from the elements, it was pitch black inside the cave now.

"Hopefully this will pass soon." She fumed in the darkness, and started blindly digging in her pack. "Would it be wise to start a fire in here? I have some bark, but it's hardly enough on it's own."
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Words: 4434
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 11:13 pm
Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 3rd, 2011, 1:16 am

The tarp shook with the force of the storm, and Reshimi slouched against the rough wall. Their escape had been too close ...

"Uh, yeah," she mumbled half-heartedly, reaching for her own pouch. "I brought my stuff, too." Her hand traced along the wall and she leaned over in confusion. The wall tapered downward, but where was the back?

"Melanie ... " she said.

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 7th, 2011, 12:24 am

"W-What is it?"

She didn't like the tone in Reshimi's voice. The dread in the air only grew thicker, swirling in with the darkness. Light pierced through, but only very faintly, as there were a few small holes in Melanie's tarp, and as it flapped against the breeze, it created a minor strobe like effect. Kishnee sat near Melanie, shaking and crying lightly, too afraid to be an acting force.

"Is something wrong?"
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 7th, 2011, 1:34 am

Reshimi shook her head, before realizing her partners could not see. She, too, was half blinded by her second eyelids and the spotty lighting. "I just," she began without finishing. Instead, the woman scooted forward, pushing her foot into the darkness with trepidation. A part of her screamed Scorpions! while another commanded Bravery! She teased the back of the cave, finding no wall.

After a long, drawn out moment, filled with only Kishnee's sniffling, Reshimi finally spoke. "I can't find a back," she admitted. "Do you think ... We should probably stay here, wait until the storm leaves us."
Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 7th, 2011, 1:55 am

A sudden flash of light burst forth through the cavern. Even if Reshimi turned around, however, she would still be met with a wall of blackness. Melanie had finally collected herself enough to light one of her torches, and jammed it into the sandy ground. She put a few rocks around it's base to keep it from tipping over, and heaved a sigh of relief.

"You had me worried there, I thought maybe you had noticed something awful." A nervous chuckle escaped her lips, an attempt to calm herself. "How long do you think this storm will last? I don't think I've ever seen anything so powerful before."
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 7th, 2011, 2:06 am

She drew herself to the light, thankful for Melanie's resourcefulness. The woman wrapped an arm around Kishnee's shaking shoulders. "Soon, I pray to Makutsi," she replied, glancing warily at the tarp. The flames flickered in the wind, casting deep shadows on the women's faces. A part of her wandered to the back of the cave; the feel of emptiness, even against her freckled hands, caused tingles to crawl up her spine.

"I wonder why the gods are so angry," she mused aloud.

"Perhaps the Everlasting is doomed!" Kishnee spoke out vehemently, lashing against the couple in her fear.
Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 7th, 2011, 2:40 am

Melanie had to focus intently to keep from laughing as loud as she wanted to at Kishnee. "Your pessimism is amusing, young one." She managed to gasp out between chortles. Melanie laid out her bedroll and sat down on it, might as well get comfortable considering how long they would be here.

"My Hands told me the same story when they returned for my ceremony. They ran into trouble before they even saw the first moon. A massive sandstorm swept their path," She paused, to look Kishnee in the eye, a grim expression on her face.

"Only, the youngest of my Hands did not survive the storm. So count your blessings, child. If you think you have it bad, someone has it worse."

Perhaps this Everlasting is doomed as well..." She allowed herself to trail off, and focused her gaze on the darkness next to her, sighing.
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 7th, 2011, 2:56 am

Reshimi covered her mouth, stifling the infectious giggles. She rubbed Kishnee's shoulder; in return, the girl pulled away and fiddled with her own bag. Kishnee only paused in fear at the demise of the youngest, previous Hand. Even Reshimi had not known, and she frowned in worry. Death on a journey was never a good sign, and more often than not lead to trouble.

"Your Hands did not complete their journey?" Reshimi said, bursting with curiosity. She attempted to keep her voice subdued, lest she anger the woman, but idle chat was the fuel for gossip and fireside stories. A craving to know the woman's story surfaced within her.

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 7th, 2011, 3:10 am

"You could call it complete, in a sense. They came back with everything we needed. Well, almost everything. My father-in-law and husband were rather upset. The girl who died was to be my sister-in-law. I feel as if my husband partially blames me for what happened, even though I had nothing to do with her being chosen as a Hand." Melanie had no problem gushing out details. She felt as if she finally found a safe place to air her dirty laundry.
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

PreviousNext