An Everlasting [Flashback]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A spot of blood on the desert, the dark keerdash trees leave in late spring with crimson foliage. Their ruddy shade is an occasional resting place for the Tatsuwaat tribe of Chaktawe.

Postby Reshimi on June 8th, 2011, 12:25 am

Season of the Spring, Day 20, 509 AV

The woman was silent at the news, mulling her short explanation over. She remembered the ceremony, though vaguely. "You cannot change the gods' will," the woman said. "An Everlasting ... I do not have the courage to join with a man, permanently, that way, like you. I feel, I feel that it ties a woman down. There is so much more to do. I simply do not want to bear children and become old at the fireside." Reshimi was always at a loss, never knowing if she was taking the right path.

Beside her, the small girl had fallen into a slumber. She moved the girl, wrapping her in a blanket.

"Were you close to your sister-in-law?"

Reshimi
Abayla Woman of the Kalanue Tribe

Words: 31281
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 8th, 2011, 12:45 am

"I hardly knew her at the time. I am not very close to my husband, or his kin. My marriage is simply a favor repaid. My father and father-in-law were old friends. He was such a wise, compassionate, brilliant man, but my husband isn't even a quarter of the man he was. You would not think they were related by how differently they behave."

Melanie was quiet for some time, ruminating. "If you ever marry, make sure it is a man of your own choosing. But choose wisely."
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Words: 4434
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 11:13 pm
Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 8th, 2011, 12:54 am

She nodded at Melanie's final suggestion. "Thank you. I know that I will pray for Seasons before even considering it." She gave a nervous titter. Outside, the sand still howled; the cave became darker as night slowly ebbed on the land.

"Have you ever thought of leaving?" she whispered, tracing her finger through the loose dirt. The suggestion reeked of cowardice, and she was less of a woman to ask. What hurt more, was the fact that Reshimi had considered running away for far less than a poor marriage.

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 8th, 2011, 1:10 am

An almost maniacal laugh escaped Melanie's lips at Reshimi's suggestion. "Yes, run away, and disgrace my father? I could never do that to him. My husband would find me, and the consequences would be worse than anything I'm currently enduring." Melanie ripped the bangles off her wrists, and lifted her dress up, showing various scars and old burn marks.

"This was for an inadequate meal. These were from an idle suggestion that contradicted him. And this one is from when he realized my suggestion was actually correct, and he would have saved himself much trouble had he listened to me in the first place. I would rather suffer in somber silence than risk any more harm to my person."
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 8th, 2011, 1:21 am

Reshimi balked at the deformation and scarring that consumed Melanie's lower body. Each mark was carefully placed, hidden by her clothing. She scrambled over to the girl in a panic, hands fluttering uselessly. "I ... I ... You must go to the Wayhali!" she said, anger at the injustice beginning to burst into life. "He disgraces you and spits in the face of the gods!"

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 8th, 2011, 1:27 am

"Do not be so foolish!" She hissed, hiding her shame and putting her jewelery back on. "You - you don't understand. I must endure. This is the lesser of two evils. He may disgrace me, but I would disgrace myself from the consequences of his punishment."

Tears began to well up in the corners of her eyes, but she was careful to not let one run down her cheek. In the darkness, it was impossible to see it, but the way her voice cracked as she spoke, Reshimi could tell Melanie was having a hard time acting like it didn't bother her at this point.
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 8th, 2011, 1:47 am

Reshimi's hands dropped to her lap at Melanie's harsh rebuttal. The other woman was so strong, yet ... Reshimi frowned when her voice cracked, and she did the only thing possible: she drew her into her arms, despite any protests Melanie might have.

"I'm sorry I forced you to talk of it," she said. "In my eyes, he is not a Chaktawe, and I can only pray the gods force ill will onto his life."

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 8th, 2011, 1:54 am

When you are only held by a man you despise, no matter how strong or resistant you are, when drawn into the arm's of someone who truly cares for your being, there is little you can do to resist.

"No, no. It's fine. Thank you." As she blinked, a few tears stained Reshimi's dress. A sniffle and a sigh escaped her lips, Melanie could do nothing now but let the other woman hold her for a few minutes.
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on June 8th, 2011, 2:01 am

[ooc]Hope you don't mind the timeskip to the morning xP [/ooc]

The women held each other well into the night, eventually falling asleep together.

The next morning, Reshimi woke with a groan. Being curled with Melanie, back against the sharp rock wall, made her muscles clench. But still ... she looked at the other woman's still form with a mixture of pity and pleasure. Reshimi had gained a friend, but the torture the woman insisted on surviving through was admirable and foolish, all at once.

She shook the other two awake gently, before dusting the unlit torch of its ashes. She pushed the tarp aside, staring at the landscape in awe. The day had begun long ago, it seemed, and the storm had left new banks of sand caught in newer places.

Reshimi was glad the will of the gods were with them, and they survived the previous night's storm.

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on June 8th, 2011, 2:45 am

[OOC]Nope, had the same idea really.

A new wave of energy basked over Melanie as she gathered her things, and set foot out of the cave. Chewing on some jerky from her pack, she stood at the mouth of the cave, surveying the shifted sands of the desert with Reshimi.

"Morning!" She flashed the over woman a quick smile. "I suppose we should be off then. The sandstorm probably covered up a lot of bones and things, but who knows what ancient things have been unearthed in their place."

She deftly scaled the rock wall behind her, allowing herself to scout out what lay out before them. "I don't see anything interesting from up here."
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

PreviousNext