An Everlasting [Flashback]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A spot of blood on the desert, the dark keerdash trees leave in late spring with crimson foliage. Their ruddy shade is an occasional resting place for the Tatsuwaat tribe of Chaktawe.

Postby Reshimi on May 26th, 2011, 2:22 am

Season of the Spring, Day 20, 509 AV

Celebration hung heavy in the air; the red leaves, shaking in a gentle breeze, sang harmony and goodwill while scant animal life seemed to twitter and tweet louder than normal. Against the background of the Keerdash Grove, Reshimi sat still as an older woman, not of her tribe, decorated her face in three comforting colors: red, white, and black.

"You are all finished, dear." A thrill shook her spine. Reshimi, as well as two other girls, were chosen to be the Hands of Makutsi in the upcoming Everlasting ceremony. Reshimi was never one for marriage and commitment, but the honor bestowed on her, for this event, was comparable to the moment she was chosen Abayla or when she first began her Searching.

"May I see?"

The corners of the woman's eyes crinkled as a smile cracked across her painted face. She was the mother of the bride, proud of her daughter and sad for herself. Conflicting emotions aside, she was painfully happy.

"See?" she chided Reshimi. "You don't trust my work?"

"No, I just ... " she started immediately, backpedaling. She did not want to disrespect the Mother, only a few days before the ceremony!

"It's fine. Here." She pulled out a worn looking glass, small as palm and scratched from sand and tinged with age. Reshimi peered in curiously; she rarely saw her own face, and the effect was discomforting. She could not even decide if she liked herself. Dominant were the thick marks of the fresh paint. Swirls mixed beautifully across her features, swooping in dark black across her eyes and exploding into red and white on her cheeks. Even the feathers, hanging loosely from her braids and complementing the bones and beads, were exotic to her accustomed eye.

Reshimi was a Hand of Makutsi, and the knowledge filled her with warmth.

"You are ready for the journey. Do you understand your duty?" the woman's voice broke through Reshimi's thoughts.

She lowered the glass slowly and carefully. Each marriage, or Everlasting, required three women from the three tribes to take on the wilderness and collect beautiful feathers, bones, and trinkets for the bride. The groom had similar attendees, named the Hands of Eywaat. Only success, after three days of searching, would led to union.

"I understand, and I am willing, wholeheartedly, to begin the journey for another."

Reshimi
Abayla Woman of the Kalanue Tribe

Words: 31281
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on May 26th, 2011, 2:54 am

Melanie had left her mother's tent in a hurry. The sun always blinded her after coming out from indoors, and she was careful not to rub her eyes, as she would ruin her freshly painted face. Another Everlasting was upon them, hopefully this one would be more joyous than her own. Still, despite her bitter disdain, this was a joyous occasion for her. Three whole days without the sights and sounds of her husband.

The other Hands of Makutsi should be painted and ready to go by now, yet personal matters would make her late to meet up with them, a huge disgrace, she thought. However, her Hands were late to return a few years ago when she was married, so she was at least sympathetic to her own problems. Hopefully the others would be so considerate.

As she stumbled into the common area, she stubbed her toe on a rather large rock on the ground. Cursing under her breath, distracted by pain, Melanie almost ran into another woman. She looked up just in time to catch herself.

"Oh, pardon me!" She was so startled she looked like she was about to jump out of her own body. Now that she had time to study the woman, she saw her face was also painted in the same pattern: one of the other Hands. Furthermore, she looked incredibly familiar. She had probably interacted with her at some point the last time the three tribes came together; it was clear that she was not one of the Suli.

"Sorry I'm late. I'm Melanie. I think we've spoken before?" She did a slight bow. This woman was obviously older than her and yet had no marking of being betrothed. How fortunate.
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Words: 4434
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 11:13 pm
Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on May 26th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Reshimi nearly jumped when a woman almost barreled into her. "Whoa!" she said, holding her hands out and being cautious of her face. She would hate to ruin the paint.

The other woman was a Hand, that much was obvious. But it took an introduction to see beyond the thick colors to the features beneath. Reshimi smiled; she had met the other woman in passing before, and was worried when she could not find her before.

"Yes, I'm Reshimi," she said, just in case. "You look beautiful -- "

"Ah, there you are!" a squeaky voice cried out. Reshimi grimaced at the harsh sound, turning to see a girl, not even reached her Searching age, bound up to them. She, too, was decorated in the tell-tale sign of the Hand.

"I am Kishnee," she introduced herself to both older women, a deviant and childish sparkle of joy glinting across her face.
Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on May 28th, 2011, 10:04 pm

"Well, now that we're all here, perhaps we should get started."

Melanie readjusted the bag on her shoulder, and lead the way for the trio. They walked in silence for some minutes, taking in the subtle sounds of the sun slowly frying everything around them. There were hardly any signs of wildlife around them. The cry of a vulture every now and then from miles above would pierce the dry desert air, but aside from that, Melanie felt as if they were the last living souls on this planet.

Now aware of their silence, Melanie rustled around in her pack for her waterskin, and after drinking deeply, turned to Reshimi.

"How were you chosen? As one of the Hands, I mean."
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on May 28th, 2011, 11:50 pm

They loped easily through the desert, leaving the sprawling camp far behind. Despite how often the tribes came together, Reshimi was always amazed at the amount of Chaktawe that came. They were all her people; it filled her with a subtle warmth.

Melanie broke the silence. "She," meaning the bride, "is my mother's sister's daughter's daughter." A grin split her face. "All the women of my blood are blessed with early children, it seems, but me!" A pause. "And, you? How were you chosen for this honor?"

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on May 29th, 2011, 12:02 am

"The groom is a friend of my family. I more than happily volunteered." Melanie stopped at a pile of sun bleached bones. A group of lizards, possibly a family, had been picked clean some time ago. She picked up one of the skulls, examined it for a moment, and stored it in her bag. "The bride seems a lovely young woman. I'm sure the two of them will be quite happy together." Melanie managed a smile at this moment, in order to mask her own dissatisfaction.

"Reshimi, may I ask you a personal question? Why is it that you are not married?"
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on May 29th, 2011, 12:54 am

Reshimi toed the bones, searching for anything extra hidden in the sand. What she really wanted to find, sometime over the next three days, was a beautiful rock, maybe even red, that she could quickly drill a hole in and form a necklace. The woman could just imagine the jewelry in her mind's eye, almost too clearly. Planning was turning her expectations into unreachable goals and would soon leave her disappointed.

She turned her attention to the question with a sigh. "My mother asks the same. Simply, I do not want to marry. My soul is as restless as Makutsi's waters, and I cannot find a place I wish to be." The land was becoming rockier, the sloping sand dunes forming small outcroppings. A few trees struggled for survival, and she eagerly began to head for one. "Sometimes I do feel ... unnatural, not having my own tent with a man of my own." She paused at the tree, eying it critically.

"Will you have children soon?"

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on May 29th, 2011, 1:53 am

Melanie grimaced slightly as the other woman's question pierced through her ears. She dodged the question with unnatural grace and skill, quickly shifting the conversation back towards Reshimi.

"Being alone is not unnatural. We were born alone. These things take time, no sense in rushing into something so important and permanent as an Everlasting. What you may consider a curse could really be a blessing in the long run."

Melanie ran her hands over the bark of the small trees that formed the modest grove they were currently in. After finding the chunk she was looking for, Melanie ripped a few pieces of bark off and put them in her bag as well. These could be painted and fashioned into some sort of jewelery.
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Postby Reshimi on May 29th, 2011, 2:28 am

"I hope every day," she responded, pushing sand around with her toes. Something caught her eye, and the woman lifted a large snake skin from the ground. It was almost perfectly intact, the thin skin littered with small lines, the remnants of scales. She smiled to herself, tucking it safely into her bag.

"I would love to create something ... unique," she spoke thoughtfully, changing the subject. She shifted her gaze to the horizon, squinting at the dusk. Alarm tinged her voice. "Melanie, Kishnee ... do you see what I see?"

The other Hand, crouching at the base of the sparse tree, looked up. She stood suddenly, fear turning her eyes wide. "Sandstorm!"

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Melanie on May 29th, 2011, 7:46 pm

"We have to act fast." Melanie climbed the trees halfway, just enough to give her a little more height. She scanned the horizons briefly. The storm was coming from the south, and to the west were some mountains.

"We might be able to find a cave. Or at the very least, set up tents on the north side. Unless you have a better idea."
Melanie
Apathetic Widow

Character sheet

Next