[Sanctuary] Life Is Hauntingly Beautiful (Ragnor)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on May 26th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Timestamp: 45th of Spring, 511 AV
Purpose: Learning Spiritism

Kavala sat cross-legged on a pile of hay looking for all the world like a young girl with nothing but time on her hands. If not for the infant bundled and tucked into the hay at her side, the illusion would have been complete. Her hair was braided in two long twisted knotworks that trailed down either shoulder, and the rest of her was garbed deceptively simply. A sleeveless black tunic covered a pale silvery pair of leggings. A belt holding a weapons harness encircled her hips and crossed up and over her shoulder. Various weapons were tucked into the harness or into the beltpouch at her side. Open on her lap was a book that looked heavy with age and chocked full of information. A simple seashell on a thong hung around her neck.

Kavala was reading intently. The subject was not her usual forte though. Instead, she was studying up on how to help her new guest manifest, remain happy, and become part of their group. She’d struck a deal, one she’d paid dearly for, and now she was moving a dead man’s wife and children south from Avanthal to Sanctuary and paying off a ghost’s debt left over from when he was alive. It was foolish, perhaps, but it was also a step in the direction she wanted to go with her life – a direction helping others.

And now, after skimming a few pages and skipping ahead a lot of information, she had her answers. "Ragnor, you around?" She asked softly, looking curiously into nothing, hoping the ghost was out and about. Kavala had at least one answer she'd been looking for. Soulmist. Making it and feeding it to ghosts helped them manifest. The ingredients were easy too. An egg, flour, and some soft cheese. Kavala practically squirmed with excitement, willing to go get a bowl and the three combined together. "Ragnor? I think I found the answer to how you can manifest longer and be with us more firmly." She said somewhat excitedly, holding the book up so he could see in case the ghost was anywhere around.

Glancing at the child to make sure he was sleeping soundly, Kavala slid out of her seat, scooped him up, tucked the book up and ran really fast to get the ingredients. When she got back, she combined them in the wooden bowl just like the instructions said and began mixing them together. Once they were well mixed, she put a bit into her mouth and began to chew it. It might have been crazy, but she wanted to see if it would work. She was working on creating soulmist to feed a ghost, one that was going to be in residency.

Last edited by Kavala on March 10th, 2013, 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 27th, 2011, 1:46 am

In those moments that he chose to rest, what he experienced was something akin to unconsciousness for the living, but not really more like putting oneself unawares for a long period of time before snapping back to reality. Ragnor thought of it as daydreaming as he spent the time cycling through images of his wife and children, and other happy things. It was very peaceful for him, and was more relaxing then wandering around, invisible to the world until he saw fit to reveal himself. He awoke like he always did from such meditations, the solid images he flooded his sight with turned to blackness, and gradually even that began to then out till it was only on the edges of his vision. Ragnor slowly began to feel his overall essence around him, and did a few mental exercises to get the brain juices flowing while he waited for the darkness to completely disappear.

His thoughts spiraled far back to the events of the previous days, and he filed away in his mind all that occurred, and all that was too occur while he floated aimlessly about the Sanctuary. The halls where quiet for now, even though it seemed to be around midday. He didn't mind the quiet, he found it rather soothing and the peace it allowed him served to calm himself and his thoughts just as well as his resting did. Today however he did not really enjoy the quiet as much for he needed some sort of noise for him to determine where Kavala had run off to, and he feared that she might need him. It hadn't even been that long since the baby had been born and already it looked like he was shirking his duties Ragnor fretted as he floated along the hallways.

Soon his desperate search brought him to the woman, and he came upon the woman right as he spoke. Startled, he stopped briefly wondering if she somehow knew he was here even though he had not yet materialized. Maybe she was just speaking aloud, hoping I was here he wondered, while floating across the room till he was before her. The book in her hand intrigued him, and he quickly decided to ask her about it when he got the chance. He would appear to her soon but he would wait a little bit to make sure she was not so busy, and he floated around to the side to have a look at the child before materializing.

The baby reminded him so much of his children, and he found himself longing to see them all the more, but silently he knew that he would have to settle for the memories of them for now. The child looked so peaceful laying there in the crib, and his brief sorrow was replaced with tenderness and on that note he moved back over towards the woman. She asked her second question as he floated before her, and he felt the excitement coming off of her in a sense, and found it rather infectious as he became excited as well.

" What did you find? " he asked as he materialized, paying special attention to how he overall presented himself as he did so. He chose to try something a little more complicated this time, becoming more focused on how to overall shape his projection, and look even more like he did in life. Ragnor wore a white cotton tunic, along with a pair of brown cotton breeches, and some tan loafers to complement the outfit. Around his neck was a sharks tooth, a sort of good luck charm he wore while he was alive if he was sailing that day, and many sea shell bracelets adorned his wrists, a product of the creativity of his children with the little sea shells he brought back. His hair looked also well taken care of, and neatly groomed along with the rest of his overall appearance, and nice tan covering all of the skin that was visible. The materialization cost him a lot of concentration on his part, but he hoped with a more difficult projection that it might become easier in the future, and he might be able to accomplish more in the coming days.

He was more than a bit curious on what Kavala was doing with the dough, but he decided whatever she was doing had to do something with that book, and what she wanted to tell him. Perhaps it had something to do with his condition, and what he had expressed to her about what his difficulties where. Maybe she learned something he didn't know, and that would be interesting none the less, he was willing to try anything that made his existence as a ghost any easier. " How does the dough play into all of this? " he added to his previous question.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on May 31st, 2011, 7:10 pm

ImageKavala smiled, plucked her Tamo dagger from its sheath within its twin and sliced her arm crosswise shallowly. She dipped her head down, licked the blood up, and mixed it with the dough already in her mouth. Her eyes lost their focus and it appeared for all the world she was concentrating on something intently. She chewed for a long time then spit the the dough out of her mouth, and offered it to him laying glowing in the palm of her scaled webbed hand. It was no longer dough though. Instead it was this strangely luminescent gel. She was still licking her lips and getting the taste of it clear of her mouth so she did not speak immediately. Dough was not her favorite thing in the world, for sure, but it was not the most unpleasant taste either.

"The book says this is how you make soulmist. Spritists can create it for Ghosts to replenish themselves when their own gets damaged, like regular people taking wounds. Mine won't be appealing until I learn more about spritism, but it will be functional. Soulmist is what replaces your physical body and houses your spirit or astral body. You can't make it at will on your own, but you can regenerate it over long periods of time just like the living heal wounds. But you can't manifest if your soulmist is damaged and you are just stuck as nothing. I don't want that to happen to you." She said, flipping a few more pages in the book.

"According to this text, I can make this up ahead and store it in glass jars for a few days without it going bad. But it can replace your energy and keep you manifested if you don't want to rest." She said gently, reaching for a pen and empty journal and beginning to copy part of the text into it. Kavala always kept careful notes especially in her newly magical studies. Quite importantly, she noted the gel was cool to the touch which was what the text said it'd feel like if it was created properly. Kavala also took the time to wonder what it would be like if it were made from say a particularly strong horse's blood or maybe even a creature like a glassbeak.

"What do you think?"
She asked, curious. She cleaned the dagger, resheathed it within its twin's handle then set the blade over in Tasi's swaddling cloth. The baby reached out and grabbed the now smooth cylinder and giggled clutching it tightly.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ragnor Matlian on June 1st, 2011, 4:50 pm

As she extended her hand, Ragnor regarded the glowing gel in her hand, and it had a twinge of light grey about it looked. Slowly he extended his hand towards hers not entirely sure how it worked but then he answered his own question it appeared. As his hand inched towards her, a tendril of mist came out from the palm of his hand, and when his hand was directly above hers, the mist was in the process of wrapping itself around the woman's hand, curling about the gel. More tendril's came from within is image and swirled around her hand, nearly covering her hand up before retreating back into his form, the gel no longer there. Almost immediately he felt a surge of energy course through him, and he felt just as much as he would during one of the brief meditation periods he took.

Privately he hoped to experience wasn't unsettling for her, and he found that it was rather startling to see as well. What she made worked well, and painting a smile on his face he bowed in gratitude before speaking. " It works great, I hope the mist didn't harm you any " he said softly, his eyes meeting hers. Inevitably his eyes drifted down to her cut, and he cringed inwardly before he looked back up at the woman. " Is your blood necessary? he added his eyes never leaving her. He didn't want any blood spilled on his account, and especially not from the woman who was helping him so much. Maybe there was another better way to go about it he thought hopefully as he looked over at the book she was reading. The answers might lie in there came another thought, and an idea quickly formed in his head.

" When you are tired and need sleep I can continue on with your studies long after you've slept " he offered seeing that as a easy way for him to help out. After all ghosts didn't need sleep, and he could work well through the night until she rose for the morning. Maybe they both could learn faster this way he mused, and offered another smile towards Kavala. " I would of course recap you on what I learned when you woke " he added. It was daring enough to try and they might even be able to work their way through the book within a few days, though suddenly a thought came to him. My reading skills aren’t the best and with that his bubble of optimism deflated, but he kept up his smile to not worry Kavala. I'll just have to try extra hard to read the text he resolved and his expression warmed when he heard the baby giggle. How could I stay dour when in the presence of such innocence his outlook on what he could do improving, and he was determined to try his hardest to read the book when his turn came.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on June 27th, 2011, 6:57 am

Image Kavala glanced up from studying her son, a special love shining in her eyes for a moment before they returned to all seriousness. Hatot might not approve of his son playing with a set of tamo daggers in his swaddling cloth, but somehow it seemed fitting for the Akalak people, and even one of their hybrids. It seemed especially fitting for Kavala's son. He wouldn't grow up weak like she had. He'd be ready for what awaited him in the world, whatever that was.

Kavala met Ragnor's ethereal gaze and sighed softly. "I'm always tired these days, Ragnor, but its not because of what you might think. Sometimes its hard to move forward with so much of the past stretching out behind you. He's a good boy, but he doesn't let me sleep much, either. The healers said it would be something that passed, but until then I just have to tough it out. If I cannot sleep, at least I have something to do. And now, sometimes, if you are willing someone to talk too." She said softly, almost as if she were tentatively asking him permission. Kavala had employees, but sitting as she was there half in the dark with her son, it felt as though she had no one to truly call a friend. Raiha was the closest thing she had to one, but the Akontak woman was a teen, prone to fits of rage and harboring a dark twin that happened to want Kavala dead. It was disconcerting and dangerous, preventing the two of them from ever truly being at ease completely with each other.

She thought Tasi's father would be a friend as well. But that had proven to be something else entirely. Hatot had a father that had made his wife and her death his whole world, surrounding himself in the tragedy until Hatot had felt no love from him. Kavala understood that it made the Akalak an emotional cripple in a lot of ways, even though they shared Chevas marks. He hadn't upheld his end of the bargain and had left her harder, more reserved, willing to be friendly but not willing very often to make friends. Radris had coaxed her out of her shell of fear after the enslavement, so Kavala forgave the Akalak pair their shortcomings even if it cost her all of her newly gained pride. But she wouldn't trust easily, and moving forward was near impossible.

The ghost though... he represented something else, something safer.

She had no way of holding him to his bargain, and no way of making him stay. But that he was here said a lot and time had taught her that if people moved on, it was because they needed too and making them stay was never the right thing to do.

She took a deep breath and studied him a moment.

He was holding up remarkably well for what he'd been through. Kavala mentally reviewed his story and wanted to shake her head with frustration at those who'd taken his life so young. And he'd left behind a wife, children, and had done so through no choice of his own. Kavala spent time staring at Ragnor, taking in the lesson for what it was worth. She'd been sitting here feeling sorry for herself with all the life around her, within her own home, safe, sheltered, with a beautiful child... and here he was with nothing and no one, a fleeting hope to get re-uinited with his family and yet he wasn't complaining at all. She'd just bargained for him to be bound to her son for a time, even though she'd also made an effort to get his family here as well so at least he could be with them in spirit if not in life.

Kavala shook her head.

"You know, your amazingly calm for all of this. I can't tell you how much I respect you for it. I've been sitting here bemoaning what I've lost, without counting my blessings, and here you are without a single complaint. I'm sooo sorry all this happened to you. I'll do what I can to help make it right, though, Ragnor." Kavala said.

That was the absolute truth. She always tried to help people, sometimes in the most outrageous ways. But helping people was not always as clear cut as one might think. It wasn't easy, and sometimes you could hurt them as much as you actually helped.

As to his questions, she answered them quickly. "Yes, my blood is necessary. But don't worry, for I'm a healer and it doesn't bother me much to slice my own skin. I'll gladly share the book. You can read it at whatever speed you choose. You might need answers that the book holds. I'll also copy it as quickly as I can so we have a copy of it here at Sanctuary. I'd really love it if you'd study in your free time as well, so we can get a jump on it and keep you manifested for as long as you'd like rather than what your energy levels dictate." She said, gently turning the book around and setting it over next to him where he could read from the pages as well. "Can you turn the pages?" She asked, curiously.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ragnor Matlian on June 28th, 2011, 8:09 pm

He sympathized with her profession of not sleeping well with the arrival of the child, and it brought him back to the fond memories of those nights he was home, and had to stay up in the dead of night with his children to make sure that they where alright. In those times if it had been a good day, he might have gotten four or even five hours of sleep, but mostly it wound up being around three hours of sleep at night, and it had been difficult adapting to that he knew. Kavala must have been experiencing the same as he had, though at least it was only one child, and not raising two or even three of the bundles, which he knew from experience was very trying on a man's patience, and probably much more on the woman who had sired them. " Of course, I'm always available for a good chat. It's one of the few things that I can still take pleasure in " he said with no hint of regret in his tone as he tried to hide the pain in those words, even from himself.

Social interaction kept one sane, and with his torments of emotions, he viewed it as something akin to a life line, between him and his sanity, so talking was always good to him. Talking kept his poisonous thoughts away, talking kept the pain buried; talking kept him at ease and focused. He would never admit such to himself, but having a constant place to stay at and become used to with people around he could get to know gave him a start of happiness, and stability that he needed. Kavala offered him that, and perhaps he would have agreed to her offer even if she hadn't suggested paying of his family's debts and take them here, thought that surely was a plus, and he would have perhaps found another way to even if she hadn't done him such a kindness. For now though, until he could more control the chaos that raged inside of him, he needed all the stability that he could get if he going to continue his facade of being calm, and poised.

" Where I am now is because what fate decreed for me, it's a thought that often keeps me calm, and I can never repay you for all of the kindness you have shown me " he said, his words coming out soft spoken, as if the topic was a touchy subject. Indeed it was his mind and emotions where a maze to him, one that he knew not how to get through, and he felt a prisoner to his feelings, instead of the other way around, which was how he tried to play it. He tried to handle it all stoically though, as he had handled most things in his lifetime, and viewed it all as a solvable problem, as if emotions could be contained by some physical measure. He hoped that for his sake that was the case, but he doubted that it would be as simple as that, emotions rarely where. Kavala was being so supportive though, and he suspected that would ease this extended transition he was trapped in, at a place between death and the next, and the confusion of not quite knowing what his purpose was anymore. Little things to focus on first was his focus though, like reigning in his emotions, and establishing himself in this place even more, and helping this kind woman.

He winced at the thought of blood having to be used for such things, but he did not pretend to understand the mysteries of the arcane preferring to leave that to those for a head for such things. Such things when he was alive had quite frightened him, and built a sort of resentment against those that used such strange powers, but since he was no longer alive, such deep feelings settled down somewhat for after all what they could do to him now that he was dead. " It would be good to read from it, thought I haven’t much experience with reading " he said, and he couldn't help but think that he sounded awkward to her. His lack of literacy wasn't exactly a great source of pride for him, and he despaired that he didn't take the time to learn to read properly as a boy. His lack of knowledge wouldn't stop him from trying though, and he walked forward to take a better view of it, placing his hands on either side of the book, though not quite touching it just yet. A good bit of the words he could see where foreign to him besides the occasional, if this, or what, or and came up, and if it was not a simple concept he also had trouble with it as well, and he found himself scratching his head in confusion more often than not.

When he finally managed to work through the first page, he looked up at Kavala to address her question before he moved on. " Turning the page is not a problem when I'm before you as I am now since I don't think my touch can harm it, but lack of reading might just end up holding us back " he said, his teeth appearing to chew the top of his bottom lip, and he despaired for a moment of to that he would probably slow down their progress with his less than sufficient reading skills. Reaching out he grabbed the edge of the page with his thumb and forefinger, and flipped it over carefully, as if he was testing himself and his touch, and the fact that he couldn't feel the page made him worried that he might rip it. The page turned uneventfully however, revealing another sheet of words that he could hardly comprehend, but determined to help Kavala, he tried hard to understand the words, and would do so until stopped or he knew what they meant.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on March 11th, 2013, 5:13 am

So the ghost couldn’t read. That made sense. And there were other things in the book she thought she probably should keep from him as well. The page he turned to spoke of spiritual weapons and armor. Kavala looked thoughtful as her eyes glanced down and began reading. Ragnor had just ate the soulmist, but it was weak stuff and she was new to making it. It wouldn’t sustain him for long. She glanced up, uncertain. Was he telling the truth? Could he truly not read? Kavala saw the truth in his dead gaze and saw the way he looked at the book but didn’t focus on the words, much like a child would. It made sense, in a way, that he couldn’t read. Not many folks could, and certainly though she knew nothing about Avanthal, it made sense that someone who came from a simple life like Ragnor did wasn’t worried too much about his education.

Spiritists can take soulmist they make and completely coat items with it. These items have the ability to seemingly absorb the soulmist and then become part of a ghosts’ reality. They can thus defend or become offensive to a ghost, such as a blade suddenly having the ability to cut them.

Kavala looked thoughtful. If Ragnor ever became unstable or dangerous – an unlikely scenario – that was good to know. She took a bit of the remaining soulmist gel from the bowl she’d handed him and quickly smeared it over the page of the book he was attempting to turn. The book seemingly absorbed it and suddenly the ghost had little or no trouble turning the pages. She grinned, looked up at him, and nodded to the book. “It said soulmist on things made things part of your world.” She added, for his benefit, careful with her words and yet wanting him to share in the knowledge.

“It might be that we can coat door handles, windows, that sort of thing and you can open or close them at will as necessary. We can even perhaps coat the rope to the bell tower with soulmist and if you are on the lookout and see an intruder, you can then ring the bell yourself.” Kavala offered, quite pleased with the discovery.

Her eyes drifted back down the page. They were still in the novice section of the Spritism book and she was learning a great deal just by scanning it and not really taking the time to study. It was giving her all kinds of ideas as well. She wondered if she could combine shielding and soulmist and create anti ghost barriers or barriers that only allowed certain ghosts in and not others.

Her eyes caught at a section on boundaries created by Spiritists, safe zones as they will, and she read on as Ragnor paused the page turning at her request. It seemed as if people could make boundaries using soulmist that ghosts couldn’t cross. They could be necklaces made of beads or even spikes in the ground. Kavala looked thoughtful at this and then decided to give it a try. She had just a little soulmist left in the bowl that Ragnor hadn’t consumed and it might be worth the effort to see how the beads worked.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on March 18th, 2013, 9:12 am

Upon reading further, the giant necklaces that usually established the safe zones were made from hair braided from the spiritists head. Well, Kavala was somewhat unwilling to pull out her own hair, so she did the next best thing. Excusing herself, Kavala made a quick trip to the barn and pulled hair from horse tails of the resident equpines until she had a fist size bunch of it. Owning a great deal of horses which lived on site always had an advantage in that horsehair was readily available and horses were an integral part of the Sanctuary.

So when she returned, she began carefully braiding the horsehair together, much like one would a chain of daisies until she had a thick long loop that was then braided back into itself. The loop was long enough she could comfortably surround Tasival’s cradle or any given chair in the room. The hairs were black and white and various shades of tan and brown, overall giving the rope a strong medley of color. Then, the book said, she needed beads strung on the chain. Kavala had no beads, but she did have reimancy and the ability to create stone. Three beads would work, but the best number – though the book didn’t say why – was seven. So she held the loop of braided horsehair in her lap and at regular intervals clutched the horsehair, extruded djed, and carefully formed balls of hard stone around the braided loop. She put them opposite of each other until she had six and then fitted the seventh in at a slightly narrower space than all the equally distanced stones. She would have liked it more uniform, and more tightly braided, but it wasn’t bad for a first attempt.

Then, finding there wasn’t enough soulmist available, she ran back to the kitchen to re-gather the ingredients she’d acquired before, mixed them in the bowl that already had the remains of the gel in it, and added her blood. Then she began to chew fiercely, turning her will and energy into food for the ghost. She left the remains in the bowl, which by then had turned to a gel-like quality, and then carefully dipped her hands in the soulmist. She then coated the beads with the gel, saturating them and the horsehair rope with the soulmist. As she did so, she concentrated, much like she would have with a shield, on creating a barrier she wanted no spirit to cross. The soulmist, like with the book, soaked deep into the hair and stone, vanishing as if it weren’t even there. There was no grease, no slime, and no odd smell left. Instead the ghostbeads looked like a normal, albeit giant, necklace.

She turned them around and around in her hands, satisfied by the odd mixture of colored horse hair and went back to the text reading. There had to be something there, something more, that would allow her to do more with the spiritism that she wouldn’t normally be able to do. And as she thumbed through the book, she wondered if there was a way to get a ghost to appear, at least temporarily, entering the facility. Reading further, she thought she had the start of an idea.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on March 18th, 2013, 11:09 am

A whole host of ideas passed through her mind. One was finding some sort of paint to line the walls with Sanctuary with so that ghosts were visible when they crossed into the painted boundary. But the problem was at her novice level, nothing was permanent, so while she could make some paint that would reveal ghosts when they crossed it, the effects weren’t permanent.. Infusing paint with soulmist to reveal ghosts would be a temporary situation at most – mere bells – not even days. But since a novice could not really see ghosts normally, Kavala wanted a way to do so. She thought long and hard and decided a sort of ghost veil would make a great project.

The Konti thought long and hard about what she’d use and decided on thin cheesecloth, the type that she could look through clearly without obstruction, and a bit of construction to make it into a sort of headwear, a veil, that she could look through and coat with soulmist.

So Kavala dug out her cheesecloth, her sewing kit, and carefully cut a length that would fit across her eyes nicely without obstructing her vision. She then took a length of normal cloth used as a kerchief, rolled it in a shape of a headband, and then stitched the cheesecloth to the rolled band until she had a great quick way to tie the veil onto her head rapidly. She then tried it on, making sure it did not bother her face and hung across her eyes without being to far away or too close. Then when she had the veil perfect, she began making soulmist again.

Kavala felt like this was getting familiar again. She took a raw egg, whisked it with floer in a bowl, then began to add in soft cheese that was thinned with her blood. When it was mostly mixed, she popped it into her mouth and began chewing until the taste and texture of the soulmist changed in her senses. The feel of the dough reforming in her mouth, thinning, taking on that clean clear odd otherworldly taste was distinct.

In her mind Kavala kept a clear picture of what she wanted – soulmist that revealing ghosts – as she chewed. It was a lot like tasking shields in her mind. She kept focused, kept chewing, and felt like she was making headway. Carefully she kept chewing, over and over again, concentrating on what she wanted the soulmist to do. Once she was done chewing, Kavala popped it out of her mouth and watched the dough go clear. She then began to rub the dough into the veil, making sure the newly formed soulmist soaked into the cheesecloth headband thoroughly.

When it was ready, Kaval tied it around her face and looked around. Ragnar came into focus more clearly than he had before. Then Kavala rose, excused herself, and began walking the length of the property. Her new ghost viel wasn’t going to last in its power – though she could recharge it anytime she wanted to make more soulmist.

Kavala purposely paced the property after excusing herself from Ragnar’s presence, and carefully walked everywhere that was safe to walk, searching for ghosts. She didn’t see much, just a few streaks of white as if ghosts were there but retreating. There were no full fledged manifestations like Ragnar was. And there were no full fledged manifestations and that fact made her happy. Kavala never thought that perhaps the ghosts could see her coming and dodged of her way before she passed by. She was naïve enough to think she’d see them all, catching them carefully unaware. That wasn’t’ the case though… which was why she was relived when she returned to the clinic, found Ragnar, and found him busy fading away as the last of her first batch of soulmist wore off. That was fine with her, because her new veil made it easy to see him without the use of her normal sight.

And until the effects of the soulmist wore off, Kavala kept fiddling with the veil looking for more resident ghosts to see if any existed. When the last of the effects of the soulmist wore off her ghost veil, Kavala decided to call it a night – wished Ragnar some rest and then went to take some herself.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Magpie on March 20th, 2013, 5:43 pm

e
Kavala :
XP:
Cooking +2
Spritism +5
Observation +1
Socialization +1
Planning +1
Reimancy +1
Sewing +1

Lores:
How to Make Soulmist
Ghosts: Soulmist Helps Manifestation
The Feel of Soulmist
Ragnor: Trusted Friend
Ragnor: Illiterate
Uses of Soulmist-Coated Objects
How to Make Soulmist Safe Zones
Ghost Revealing Paint – Temporary Solution

Injuries: Small cuts on arm

Additional: Pretty wide range of skills for such a short piece!

Ragnor :
XP:
Materialization +1
Soulmist Projection +1

Lores:
How to Absorb Given Soulmist
Friends Ease the Time Between Life and Death
Uses of Soulmist-Coated Objects

Notes :
Great read from both of you. Very informative, while still very natural in the learning process.

If you have any questions or concerns about what was awarded, please don't hesitate to PM me.
e
Office ~ Riverfall ~ Starting Guide ~ Q & A Forum
Moderated Threads: Full up right now, sorry!
Magpie
A-flutter

Words: 324445
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)