'Till the World Ends [Kendall]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Seven Xu on May 30th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Spring 87 511

Sleep was hard to come by. Seven hadn't slept well in two days - but in truth, he wasn't even sleeping well before he had found the letter. The letter that had ripped the determination from his small frame and doused the spark that had kept him going for nearly three seasons, through hellish mountain terrain and across a volatile ocean. As Syna slipped low and orange over the horizon, a bitter half-blood scooped a smooth rock from the sandy surface of the beach and loosely tossed it into the bubbling surf. His other hand gripped a green-tinted glass bottle that one could only assume was filled with alcohol.

Apple wine, to be precise. The Great Bazaar brought so many interesting things to the city. The glitter of imported goods had lost their appeal as of late, and when his body got tired of producing tears of grief he had dropped his inhibitions and parted with ten gold-rimmed mizas for a bottle of the sweet wine. Lifting the smooth neck to his lips, he winced as he took a swig. It slid lukewarm down his throat. The first few sips were taken with precaution, but the white-haired teen had finished off a third of the wine and was starting to acquire a taste for the sweet liquid and the way it made his head swirl. It was hard to keep his mind off of Lhavit - the first and only other time he had allowed himself to get carried away on the sweet taste of alcohol.

"So, basically." Seven spoke up after having coldly explained his situation to Kendall chimes before. He had spotted the man when he was perusing the wine stand in the Bazaar and after a short back and forth, convinced him to accompany him to the beach. Bare feet pressed against wet sand where the receding tide lapped cold at his toes. Syna's orange glare flashed fire in his crimson eyes as his eyes noted the blond at his side. The blond he had grown attached to in their fleeting moments spent together in his time in Syliras. One of the few he believed actually understood him, even if he didn't know why. "He made a petchin' idiot of me."

Another long pause. Seven bent down to grab another rock, letting his fingers slide over its smooth surface pensively. "I guess that's life though. I'm done crying about it." A bitter taste burned his tongue and silver hair burned orange-yellow in that sunset, absorbing the color and making him look almost blond. The half-blood's speech seemed to run together, already feeling the effects of his wine. A thin smile replaced the bitter look and his voice softened as he caught a glimpse of Kendall's mismatched eyes. "Thank you for coming down here with me, by the way. I know you must be busy, what with leaving town soon."
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on May 30th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Kendall knew his share of pain. He had been battling with it since the Summer of 510 AV. He tried not to think back on it as he stood with Seven. His problems could wait until his friend's were resolved. He was surprised to see Seven drinking. Last time they had been out together he had refused to drink the ale. Pain did strange things to a soul though. "Seven, I sorry about how I acted last time we were together. It was inappropriate of me to get drunk." He blushed as he thought about how intoxicated he had gotten at the Rearing Stallion. "I hope I did not say anything too rude… or odd. I act strange when I am drinking." He was embarrassed about what he might have said to Seven. "I hope I was to too hard to carry."

Kendall's mouth watered as he looked at Seven's bottle of wine. He wanted the burn of alcohol drawing his senses so badly. He had to stay sober though. It was Seven's turn to lose himself and if it was nessisary, Kendall would take care of him just like Seven had done for him. He was saddened that their time was almost over with each other. He felt as though he could have been very good friends with the boy.

A hand came up to Seven's shoulder in an effort to comfort him. Kendal stood next to him, the waves of the Suvan Sea cooling off his warm feet. He could feel the pain coming off of the white haired boy was like the summer sun. It burned and raged at a fever pitch, much like fire. "You are not an idiot. You did what your father told you to do. If anyone is the fool it is him." His mismatched eyes tried to search Seven. He wanted to think of something that would make him feel better. Instead he tried to use aurstics. He had forgotten that he could use it. At times his sense form his mark was more than he needed to tell people's emotions. A clouded light burned around the edges of Seven's body. He still was learning about how to read auras. The best he could tell from the aura was that Seven was upset. That was clear to see without auristic vision though.

"Don't worry about it Seven. What are friends for right?" They were friends right? He smiled lightly at Seven, trying to let the boy know he was there for him. "It is okay to let it effect you.You just cannot let your pain become who you are. That is what I've done and look at me. I complete and total petching mess." He chuckled at the words. Normally talk like that would bother him but at Seven's side it seemed easier to deal with. They seemed to be a bit a like in ways. They both were a bit lost, not very masculine, and mostly, a little too emotional for their own good. It was calming to Kendall. It made him feel like less of an outcast. "I am here for you if you want to talk though."
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Seven Xu on May 31st, 2011, 11:01 am

Seven let the second stone fall haphazardly from his fingers, plopping into the shallow surf a few yards away. "Don't apologize." Seven shook his head before cradling the wine bottle with his palm to stare down at the label. "If I were offended by your drinking I would have told you, Kendall." A small smile graced Seven's lips and he took another small sip of the wine, conscious of his alcohol intake. If Kendall felt it so necessary to apologize for being drunk, perhaps he should slow down as well. Besides, Seven didn't want his friend to have to make guesses as to where he lived if he passed out cold. I'd leave me on the beach. The bitter thought ripped Seven's gaze from his bottle.

Loose lips tightened when he realized he'd called Kendall by his full name. A name that the blond hadn't given him, but had slipped out in conversation with a friendly enchanter over tea. Perhaps he hadn't noticed. "Yes, I suppose he goes by Ken nowadays." Hadrian's calm words bubbled up in his mind and suddenly, the half-blood felt the need to apologize. But the words never found his voice, and the desire for alcohol took over as he took another sip of the wine in the short silence between them. What's in a name, anyway? The comforting hand on his shoulder was warm, like Kendall had spent the entire day basking in Syna's glory. "You make me feel like a walking corpse, you're so warm." A giddy laugh brought on by the wine accented the strange comment.

Seven dropped to his knees in the sand, before letting his body teeter backwards until he landed on his rump, knees bent to support himself as he leaned forward, elbows resting on his thighs that balanced the wine bottle between his legs. One arm extended to pat the sand beside him, motioning for Kendall to sit. "You're one of the more normal people I've met this season," Seven admitted, cocking his head and offering Kendall a coy smile. The warmth in his throat was loosening his inhibitions. "I wouldn't call you a mess. No, not at all."

Seven shook his head as if to illustrate his point, white tresses floating over flushed cheeks. "We're a lot alike I think. Your eyes," Seven paused, hesitant to continue. Another short drink was in order. He swallowed, savoring the apple sweetness on his lips before he continued, a finger lifting to point in Kendall's direction. "You're a tortured soul. And I get that about you, you know? You aren't a mess, your eyes just refuse to hide emotion." That was a bit deeper than he had intended it to be. Brows raising, Seven bit his lower lip and tore his eyes from Kendall to stare at the horizon again. "I was raised to hide what I felt in the company of others. It isn't polite, blah ... blah blah." A short laugh.

"Gods. I'm so sorry, I am such a downer." Seven hadn't wanted the encounter to be solemn. He wanted to have fun with his friend before they were likely to never see each other again. That thought hurt. It hurt a lot. Despite their short time together, Seven had felt a genuine connection between them. He wanted to tell Kendall that he would miss him, but he forced himself into a pensive silence.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kendall Saarinen on May 31st, 2011, 7:40 pm

A chill ran through Kendall's body as Seven spoke his full name. He might have gotten scared or even nervous about how he learned his name but instead he stayed calm and smiled at Seven. "So who told you my secret identity?" He chuckled a bit at his phrasing. He was actually happy Seven knew his name. He might have told him his entire first name himself if it wouldn't have been so awkward coming out. "It's Kendall Saarinen by the way. Saarinen means island." He moved his foot back and forth through the sun kissed tide. "One who is surrounded by water." Kendall wanted to say his middle name. It was one of his biggest shows of faith to release his middle name. It was such a simple middle name but it said so much. "Samantha." Far too feminine even for a guy like Kendall. Seven deserved answers but some were better kept in the dark. 

As Seven downed the wine Kendall swore he could taste it on his tongue. The sweet taste of apple coupled with the fiery burn of alcohol. He shook his head as if he was trying to get the burning desire for the drink to dislodge from his brain. He felt his soft grip on his friend's shoulder loosen as Seven spoke about him being warm. Could he trust Seven with his his fiery secret? "Well you sure are pale enough." He giggled a little as he looked at Seven. "It looks good on you though. You make it work." Taking a deep breath he looked Seven in the eyes. He hoped his friend wasn't too far gone. If he was going to let him in on his little secret he wanted to make sure he had Seven's full attention. "I have help being warm." His heart raced a little as he shrugged off his jacket, letting it fall to the sands below. He held his wrist out to Seven as he let the flames around his wrist catch some of Syna's light. "I'm sure you know of Ivak." He tried to search Seven's face for any sign of disapproval or disgust. He was worried his connection to the fire God might scare Seven away. He trusted him though. Seven seemed to understand Kendall better than others did. "His gift makes me one with fire. At least in a way. I cannot be burned by it but it also keeps my body much hotter than a normal human's." Seven was the fourth person to know about his mark. The only others were Sondra, Hadrian, and Cathan. They were close friends just like Seven was becoming. "That does not bother you, right?"

When Seven fell to the sand Kendall was quick to follow. He could not help but look at his feet in the raising and receding tide. He did not look at them too often. They seemed more foreign than the rest of his body. "You must not have met a lot of people then. Azenth tend to be more than a little messed up." He chuckled as he looked toward the horizon. "Maybe I should learn to take a compliment though. Thanks." He smiled at Seven as he tried to see into him. He did not want to over work his auristics but he wanted to try to figure out how to make him feel better. He hated to see Seven in pain. He felt like in a way he was seeing himself. Their actual situations in the grand scheme were much different but deep down at the core of it they were very similar. They were just two lost kids trying to find their way home.

Kendall quickly looked away when Seven commented on his eyes. He was extremely embarrassed of their mismatched color. He focused on the waves as they moved in and out over the sand. He thought about Zeltiva and his brothers taking him down to the shore of the sea. Be careful Kenni. Mom will have a fit if you fall on the stones and break your arm." He pulled his knees closer to his chest as he looked down at the flames on his wrist. "In more ways than you would care to know." He spoke quietly but if Seven was really listening he might have heard the murmur. Things felt messy in Kendall's mind. It times he felt like he couldn't keep anything straight. "My eyes show more than you know." He forced himself to look back to Seven but by then his friend had looked away. "It is important to let your emotions out. As cliche as it is for me to say this, people are like volcanos. We cannot hold down emotion forever. It is always bound to boil over. Plus, you catch the attention of people like me, the Azenth, who can feel the tension." He held his arm out running his finger down the red flames. "I can feel it in you right now."

A hand returned to Seven's shoulder. He wanted to do more. He wanted to be able to be the girl he had been back in Zeltiva so his feminine shows of emotion did not seem to odd. "Don't apologize. Everyone has those things that haunt them. Trust me, I know." Seven's emotions were like steady waves washing off of him and Kendall could feel the pain and a feeling of longing. Not like a romantic longing but more of a need to keep someone near. Kendall was not sure if it was him. He found it to be a good of a time as any to voice his own feelings about the situation though. He got up onto his knees and moved to Seven's side, wrapping his arms around him in a hug. He worried it might have been a little too much of a girlish action but this was Seven and he could trust him. "I am really going to miss you Seven. I think we could have been really good friends." He truly believed that. His friendship with Seven had seemed so spontaneous but it was because the two were so similar. "I really hope we will see each other again after I leave.""That is if he will recognize me the next time we meet." He was not sure if he would be back to normal by the time the pair met up again. It was always a worry in his mind though.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Seven Xu on June 1st, 2011, 12:08 pm

Seven brightened as Kendall told him his full name. Saarinen. Such an interesting last name. "My family name is Xu," He offered. "It doesn't really fit me so I usually just go by Seven." Seven's finger traced an X and two straight lines in the air, mimicking his signature. Seven Xu. It sounded odd in his head, despite the fact that he had grown up with it - and he sure as petch wasn't going to use it anymore. Kendall would be the first and last to know his last name in this land, he decided.
A pang of guilt turned his stomach. "I'm sorry," a misplaced apology, but heartfelt regardless. "I bumped into your friend, uh, a while ago. I think I may have been too forward when I brought you up, but you mentioned his name and I couldn't help myself." Seven gave Kendall a hazy grin, then shook his head slowly. Alcohol seemed to hush the process in Seven's head between thought and speech; his filter was broken. Eyebrows raised, his lips played along the top of the green glass. The rim tasted like apple. "You make a cute couple."

Seven leaned back and set the wine bottle between his thighs, propping himself up on his palms as Kendall explained the fiery mark on his wrist. It was ... interesting. The only marked individuals he had ever met were skyglass makers, gifted by Zintila to craft the many beautiful structures in Lhavit. But, an Azenth? Seven had only read about them. The grin merely grew on his flushed face and he resisted the urge to reach out and touch Kendall's mark - in fear of making him uncomfortable, or even getting burned. "Why would it bother me?" The question was innocent enough, even though Seven had already known the answer. Ivak wasn't exactly a well-received deity. Before Kendall would try to explain the obvious to the half-blood, he shrugged his shoulders and cocked his head, pressing his toes into the cool, wet sand. "You could have a dozen marks and you'd still be Kendall. It does not bother me. Besides, I am impressed, if anything."

As Kendall sat in the soft sand beside him, his next comment hit him a little harder than it should have. "You're the only person I've really made any sort of connection with," Seven admitted, staring downwards to admire the way Syna's light reflected in the bottle of wine. "Sure, I have met other people, here and there. And it isn't like they're enemies, I suppose I have other friends. Or acquaintances. You're different, Kendall." Seven's gaze shot up to stare at Kendall with a sincere smile. Could he tell him? Most men would recoil if you admitted that they reminded you of their baby sister. Seven seemed to find his sense of censorship and he straightened his back - just in time for Kendall to lean over and embrace him.

A blush flared on his cheeks like fire and he hesitated for a moment. It had been the first real show of affection he had gotten since he hugged his sisters before leaving home. Seven had begun to wonder if he was incapable of being close to anyone, romantic, or otherwise. With this thought, tears welled up in the corners of Seven's eyes and threatened his otherwise calm outward appearance. Kendall had mentioned his bottled emotion affecting him, though the youth wasn't sure what to think of it. He certainly didn't want to turn the evening into a confession of every negative thought swirling around in his mind. At the same time, he certainly didn't want to distract Kendall. The Azenth provided a nice retreat from his destructive thoughts.
An arm slid around Kendall's ribcage, then after a moment his head found the spot between Kendall's shoulder and neck and his other arm followed suit on the opposite shoulder. Fortunately, Seven didn't burst into tears although it took a bit of coaxing and careful breathing on his end. The friendly embrace meant a lot to him. The half-blood cursed the setting sun, knowing it was ending one of the last days Kendall had left in the city. "We are really good friends," Seven corrected Kendall with a light laugh. "Nowhere you go could ever change that."

A hand loosened from the hug to reach between his legs and retrieve the wine bottle. Fingers grasping the neck, he tilted the bottom in Kendall's direction in offering. "I will not be in very good shape if I drink the entire thing myself." He explained, head still resting on Kendall's warm collarbone. He had hoped he hadn't overstayed his welcome in Kendall's arms; as platonic as a hug was, he wasn't sure how comfortable the blond was holding a venomous bastard child. The cool green glass, flecked with sand on the outer edges pressed against Kendall's forearm. The mark caught his eye again and made him smile. "I did not bring you down here to babysit me. Have a drink."

Mocking a toast, his lips briefly took from the wine bottle before passing it off to Kendall. "To friends forever."
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 1st, 2011, 9:30 pm

"Seven Xu…" Kendall tried the name out loud and smiled. "It is very beautiful even if you don't like it. I cannot seem to part with my surname. I guess I am just used to it." He looked down at the sand as he tried to phrase what he wanted to say next. "I had the opposite situation from yours. I never wanted to leave home. I was told I could never go back." The statement was skating quite closely to the truth that lied deep down in Kendall. The fact that his family had disowned him because of his little accident that caused him to switch genders. "I would love to go home but I think for now I have to keep moving on. I like to think some time apart and some time to think will heal our differences." He rubbed his hand back and forth over his right wrist. "If not, I guess I'm not going home." He missed his family with all of his heart. He had to admit, he did not miss Suanna, his older sister that much. They had not left on that good of terms though.

A bright blush colored Kendall's cheeks when Seven brought up "his friend". "You met Hadrian?" He could not help but wonder what the two had talked about. His blush got even brighter when Seven mentioned how he found Kendall and Hadrian to be a cute couple. As far as Kendall knew, no one knew that he and Hadrian were romantic. Had Hadrian bought it up to Seven? It really was only fair. Kendall had let his feelings for Hadrian slip out when he was drunk. "Thank you Seven. That is nice of you to say." He smiled shyly at his friend. He was not sure what else to say. He did not know how much Seven knew about his closeness with Hadrian.

It came as a relief to Kendall when Seven did not push him away due to his mark. Seven merely greeted him with his same kind smile and look of understanding. If he took this new so gracefully how would he take Kendall's little secret about his accident? He played with the idea of telling him for a moment but pushed the thought away. "That is ridiculous. It would only cause problems." The words came to Kendall again. The same ones Hadrian and Jaelyn spoke to him when they found out about his secret. He opened his mouth to say something but slowly closed his lips before the words came out. He listened to the melodic rhythm of the waves as he tried to answer Seven. He had told Kendall everything. Why couldn't he return the favor? "I am glad you are not angry. People always tend to be more accepting than I expect them to be." He thought back to the last time he saw his family. He saw Layton covered in blood, his father's face alight with anger, and most of all his mother with her eyes that showed more than anyone could. She knew him but she did not want to put herself on the line for a boy no one believed to be her daughter. He sniffled as a few tears fell down his cheek. He wiped them away with a chuckle. "Petch, this isn't about me. Why am I crying?" He smiled at Seven as he wrapped his fingers around his wrist. "Thank you. I don't know why you are impressed. I'm glad you are open minded about it though."

"I really have not made a lot of friends since leaving home either. I have Hadrian, Cathan, Sondra, and Jaelyn but other than that no one other than you." Kendall was not sure if Seven would know anyone of the list except Hadrian but one never knew. "I do feel a connection with you too though. I'm really glad you ran into me the day you came into town." The talk was helping to get his mind off of Zeltiva. He laughed when Seven told him he was different. He was much more different than one should be although it seemed that Seven didn't really know exactly how different he was. "Yeah, yeah, I get that a lot." He put up small air quotes as he talked. "Kendall you are different. You are so emotional and sensitive. Shyke-load of help that has done for me though." He laughed at his own words as he eyed Seven's wine bottle. He had never found the courage to laugh at himself before. "Seriously though, thank you. It means a lot." He wanted to say that he saw a lot of himself in Seven but he kept that comment to himself. While he was sure Seven would not have found the statement offensive Kendall knew what it really meant. Seven was kind, sensitive, and easy to talk to, like his female friends had been.

Kendall's hand moved back and forth on Seven's back when he felt his friend's breathing starting to change. "You can cry if you need to. Trust me, I cry more than anyone I know." He felt like he was leaving little hints about the Kendall that he kept hidden for Seven. He barely even cared though. He felt completely comfortable around him. Even though Seven had tried not to cry Kendall could not do the same. He felt himself to cry when Seven spoke of how they would always be friends. "Nowhere you go could ever change that." He was not sure exactly why he was crying. He would miss Seven, that much was completely evident. He was happy to have a friend who really saw him and saw who he really was. One that was not romantically involved with him. It was not that he did not appreciate Hadrian's affection. He cherished his company more than almost anyones. Sometimes it was nice to have a friend who saw right through you and they stayed just as that, a friend. "The same goes for you Seven. I don't know when we will see each other again but I think you will always be one of my closest friends." He frowned as he looked at the setting sun. If only he could stop time, just for a few more bells.

The last thing on Kendall's mind was to push Seven away. The pair knew where they stood with one another. There was no fear of their friendship drifting off into more… warmer waters. Seven seemed like he just needed someone to lean on and in truth, Kendall did too. Things had been moving so quickly lately that when they finally calmed down he could see just how much was going to happen in the next season. He smiled softly as he looked at the bottle in Seven's hands. He really wanted some of the wine but he feared that he would not be able to control himself if he drank. It might have been his last time he was with his friend before he left the city. Against his better judgment he muttered a thanks and grabbed the bottle. He tried not to think about how he would spiral later after downing the liquid. For now he would just think of the current moment.

Kendall held the bottle up in the setting sun and smiled. "To friendship… and Syna, and Laviku, and Ivak!" He giggled as he started to name off the Gods. He only worshiped one of them. Syna and Laviku were there in the sun and the ocean so he thought "why not?" and toasted to them too. "And to who ever you worship Seven… if you do at all." He smiled as he felt the burning liquid in his throat. It had become his vice and his comfort. He forced himself to stop after a few greedy gulps though. "Good wine Sev." He handed the bottle back to the mixed blood boy. "I really needed that."

The wind seemed to pick up a bit as it buffeted through Kendall's blond hair, blowing it in his eyes. "You know, I really love the ocean. It is probably my favorite thing in the world. Being from Zeltiva does that to you though." He smiled as he closed his eyes and breathed in. The Suvan Sea was not exactly like the sea off the shore of Zeltiva but it was a worthy substitute. The air was only slightly less salty but there where still the same quiet rolling waves and the calling sea birds. "My first date happened at the ocean now that I think of it. Of course I was twelve at the time." He smiled as he thought back to his day with Markus. He was sure it would not come as a surprise if Kendall made a comment about a boyfriend from his past. If he knew about Hadrian than saying he went to the beach with a boy on a date would not sound too surprising. "It was with my first boyfriend. It is the happiest memory I have of my hometown." He wondered if there was a coast off of Lhavit. It was up in the mountains so maybe they were up too high. "What about you? What is your favorite memory? It doesn't have to be of home. Just in general."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Seven Xu on June 2nd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Seven eyed Kendall's hands as he spoke of his family, fingers groping at the mark on his wrist in an attempt to placate himself as he recalled less than pleasant memories. Kendall's chin seemed to come to rest on the top of Seven's head as the embrace continued. Seven felt safe in the embrace of a friend. It was not the lover's embrace his heart ached for, but Kendall was not the lover he so wanted either. No, he was a friend, and on those terms, the contact was entirely satisfying. "It was hard." A meek confession fell out of Seven. "Growing up, knowing I was different. I don't look like anyone in my family, let alone anyone else in Lhavit. There were times I just wanted to disappear." Exhaling, Seven's fingers dug into the fabric that wrapped around his thin legs, pulling them back and folding the hem high around his calves. As to be expected, his skin was just as pale on his exposed legs as the rest of him - though they appeared hairless, or at least, what hair did manage to grow there was the same pale color as his skin. Symenestra were not apt to grow much for body hair, although Seven's mixed genes forced him to periodically shave off what grew.

If Seven had known what Kendall saw in him, a sensitivity more often brought on by a woman rather than a young man, it likely would have shut him up entirely. Those comments plagued him, tore at his mind whenever a modicum of emotion showed on his face. He was a man ... although, more often than not he sure as petch didn't feel like one. Seven wanted things most men did not; things most men would persecute him for even thinking. His body was a bit curvier than a chiseled and square knight, features sharp, and his voice wasn't especially deep. So many confused him for a woman. Not Kendall. Kendall was like him in so many ways. A thin smile hinted at Seven's lips as he hummed thoughtfully. "You're so easy to talk to." The admission brought another light blush to Seven's cheeks. "I don't need to cry though. I'm not even sure if I could. I've done enough of it over the past couple of days, my eyes are exhausted." That smile grew into a self-depreciating grin.

The wine seemed to assuage whatever hunger Kendall had in his eyes when he leered at Seven's lips on the bottle. As the vessel was handed back to Seven, he took a quaff of the sweet wine, allowing it to play on his tongue for a moment before swallowing. A glimmer of moisture caught his peripheral vision and he realized that Kendall had started to cry. Seven's brow wrinkled and he wrapped an arm around the blond's broad shoulder, offering comfort in a kind tone. "This isn't about me either." His voice was barely a whisper. There were so many things he wanted to tell Kendall, but so little time in which to do it. His head swirled with a belly warm from alcohol and a fading sense of self-control. Then, the playful grin returned to his face and he sat up.

The half-blood had slipped gradually out of the embrace and was now sitting shoulder to shoulder with his Azenth friend, peering sideways at him. The arm was still wrapped around Kendall's shoulders and his fingers were enjoying the touch of fabric kept warm by Kendall's skin. "I felt bad for saying anything about it," The thought of Hadrian seemed to calm Kendall, and he turned the topic back to the enchanter. "But, he was very friendly - and more socially awkward than I am. I was not aware that was possible." A short laugh and a vain attempt to dry those flowing tears. "I guess it comes as no surprise that I am the same way. That is, I have little interest ... in, uh." Seven's smile instantly faded as he searched his mind for the right words. Would Kendall recoil under his touch, fearing he had ulterior motives? A light sigh escaped him and he rolled his eyes skywards in exasperation. "You're just lucky, is all. It puts my mind at ease to know you'll be traveling with someone so bright and talented."

Another drink. "To ... Viratas." Seven nodded decidedly. The thought was a hesitation. He revered the god, but like Ivak, knew he wasn't a particularly popular deity due to the less than respectable following he seemed to accumulate. Since the night he found the letter and shed his blood in the name of the god and new beginnings, he felt closer to religion than he ever had before. While Zintila had been monumental in his life, she represented memories he was trying hard to forget. "I hope his knowledge will guide me in my new life." As Syna set on spring, it was symbolic of the sun setting on his old life.

"My favorite memory?" Seven blinked a few times, looking shocked. As he tried to forget memories, Kendall seemed to want to bring them back to the forefront of his mind. "Well ... to be honest, this right now." While blunt, it was true. Seven would remember the short moments with Kendall for the rest of his life. Leaning forward, the half-blood dug his mismatched nails into the sand before lifting his hand, leaving behind his hand print. The rising tide washed in and grabbed at the imprint as it lapped dangerously close to the pair, threatening to wash in and soak them. Seven didn't flinch at the approaching water, he simply allowed it to run its course and bubble around his feet.

"What do you know about Symenestra?" The question surprised him as he blurted it out. That was stupid. The less Kendall knew, the more he'd like him as a person. Seven winced, immediately regretting his decision to ask such a destructive question. Despite his regret, there was a part of Seven that wanted Kendall to know. He wanted him to know everything. Someone that for once, hadn't judged him; he seemed to want to push the boundaries of their friendship, he wanted to know if Kendall would still look at him the same way if he knew the truth about his unfortunate blood. "Be honest."
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 5th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Although the action might have been a bit strange, Kendall pulled his pant leg up as well. Despite the fact that last time he had visited Soothing Waters he had shaved his legs the platinum blond had grown back a bit and the hair seemed to catch some of Syna's light. Without the light his legs would have looked clean shaven. Of course, he perfered them that way. He smirked as he looked down at his legs. The sight still unnerved him a bit but he tried to keep a jovial mindset as he looked the legs that were more hairy than he was used to. "Well, I suppose it is only natural that we leave home or at least want to leave." He thought back to his family as a bittersweet smile formed on his lips. "I used to look a lot like my mom but now I look a lot more like my older brother." He thought back to Layton. It was a little strange how much he ended up looking like his brother. Layton was of course much older than him but they had the same light blond hair and lightly tanned skin. "I guess... when family makes you feel like that it is nature's cue for you to move on even when we don't want to." Kendall shrugged as he drew a small picture in the sand with his finger. He was trying to make a bird but it turned out looking more like an "m". He looked blankly at the picture and sighed a bit as the water washed over it, making it disappear into the sea.

With a shrug Kendall smiled. "Why not be, you know? Gods know I would be a mess if I did not have people to listen to me." He tried not to think back to how he was the season before he left Zeltiva. Back then he did not have someone to talk to. He had to deal with his new body and the strange feelings that went with it completely on his own. He had a little help from Ivak. That much helped a lot. A mark did not give you someone to talk to though. It was not until he met Cathan that he was able to start working himself into a safe place mentally. All he had wanted before meeting his canine companion was a person to listen to him even if they didn't listen to his problems. All he wanted was for someone to ask "Hey Kendall. How was your day?" A lot of time alone had trained him to be a good listener. When one did not have an outlet for words listening was the next best thing.

Kendall leaned against Seven when he wrapped his arm around him. He felt terrible that he was crying when the two of them were supposed to be focusing on Seven's current problem. It felt good to have people care about his sadness though. First Cathan, then Hadrian and Jaelyn. He knew that having friends was not cause for a huge celebration but the thought of them made him feel safe. With a sniffle Kendall tried to stop the tears. His mismatched eyes turned to Seven and smiled. "It is fine. I'll stop. I think one of these days I will need to man up. I'm too much of a girl sometimes."

A bright smile came to Kendall's lips when Seven talked about his meeting with Hadrian. "That sounds like him. He is very quiet but his intellegence blows me away sometimes." Kendall didn't know if he wanted to share his pre-accident memories of Hadrian with Seven. He could slip up and say something feminine, or more feminine than he normally say. "We both went to the University of Zeltiva. We never had any classes together but I saw him in the library or halls at times." He smiled as he thought back to the times he was happy. "I always was curious about him. He never seemed to stop studying." The longer he spoke about Hadrian the brighter his smile seemed to become. The mage truely seemed to make Kendall happy. "We never spoke to each other until we both found ourselves at Kova's Well shortly after I came to Syliras after leaving Zeltiva." Grinning like a child, Kendall reached down into the rolling tide and ran his fingers through the water. It was Hadrian's element. He wanted to be surrounded by him, by water just like an island, just like his name. "There is not anyone else i would rather have traveling by my side. Of course, you are welcome to come too. I would be more than happy to have you travel with us." Kendall was hopeful his friend would agree to go with him but something gave him the feeling Seven would not want to leave Syliras. It was safe there and at times it was the perfect place to stay and rest when your mind was confused. He had found answers in Hadrian. Maybe there were answers in Syliras for Seven too.

With a giggle Kendall smiled at his friend. "That makes sense. I should have guessed that much. Symenestra, Viratas. You would think I never attended University at times." Like Seven, Kendall had been pushing a lot of his life prior to Syliras away. It seemed at times the lessons he learned in Zeltiva were completely gone from his mind. He wondered if he was simply just losing consentration but that was not the case. He still could remember every detail from Hadrian's lessons. Although he had a much more appealing teacher now. "Well... isn't think poetic? The sun is setting, we are talking about new beginings, the season is just days from changing." He wrapped his arm around Seven and beamed at Syna's setting face. "I am ready to be new too. I have been putting too much stock in the past. I keep trying to make it come back or replay but it is not going to, and it shouldn't." He took a deep breath as he closed his eyes. He thought of fire, the single most calming things he could imagine. With the fire he tried to visualize his fears and all of the things that had been darkening his mind lately simply incinerating and falling to ash. "I have changed a lot since I was home but I think I just need to stop fighting who I am and who I am becoming. Embracing change is good right? At least inneviatable change." He opened his eyes as they looked over the water. "If this is the man I am becoming maybe it is for a reason."

Kendall stayed quiet for a few chimes after his friend spoke. He smiled calmly as he felt the cool water reaching it's hands out to cool his warm skin. "You really think so?" He found it a little hard to believe he could have such an impact on Seven. It was not as though he was that interesting or even that captivating of a person. He was himself, slightly altered. Things had been switched and shuffled around creating what seemed like an almost new person. "I really like this too. I feel peaceful. I don't feel peaceful very often." Only when he was in Hadrian's arms, feeling the release of the mage's emotional tension did he feel peace before this.

The question was a bit odd. Kendall wanted to think most people knew a bit about Symenestra. They were part of Mizahar just like humans or Myrians were. "I know a bit. We learned some about them at the University." He was not sure what he should list off. He wanted to stay quiet about the less glamorous parts of Symenestra culture but Seven said those two words. The ones that were so deadly at times. Be honest. "I know that Symenestra have different digestive systems than humans. They cannot digest or break down complex foods. Because of this they use their fangs to inject venom into their prey to break down their insides. The exception to this is fruits and vegetables, just like you like apples." He gave a small smile to his friend as he made mention of the fruit. "I also know that Symenestra kill their mothers at birth, using them as their first meal." Seven wanted the truth so Kendall was going to be honest with him. "Symenestra can see well in less than favorable lighting, right?" There were some facts Kendall was unsure about. He was certain that Kay'lan had started to distract him as they got farther into the lesson on the race. "I think what I know more about is their literacy. The Symenestra have written some amazing works. I cannot understand Symenos but I have read some translated copies. They are really something to be admired." He turned to his friend with curious eyes. "You clearly have a reason for asking though. Is there something you don't want me to know?" Everyone has their secrets and Kendall would not pry if there was something Seven wanted to keep in the dark. At times secrets were what kept people together internally. Not everything was meant to see the light.

Kendall could not turn the same question around on Seven. The mixed blood was mostly Lhavitian anyways. It was not appropriate to put pressure of Seven like that. "You can tell me anything Seven. I would never judge you." He really meant it too. "There is so much underneath people that it is impossible just to judge them because of the ways of their race. I'm sure humans have done some terrible things but you don't look down on me for it right?" He reached over and hugged Seven again. "I would accept you no matter what. I trust that you aren't going to eat me if that is your fear." He chuckled a little as he pulled back. He looked down at his palm as a ball of Res flowed out from it. Silently, the blond mage set it alight and then looked at his friend with a smile. "We all can do things. I can set you on fire right now if I really wanted to. I don't though, and I would never dream of it." He felt the heat of the fire feeding into his body making his skin burn hotter. "Weird analogy, I know. It gets the point across though." He looked down at the fire in his hand and ran his fingers through the flame. "I know it sounds odd but... at times I forget that people can be burned by fire. Pretty selfish, I know. It just seems to harmless to me. Almost as if it was a friend." His mismatched eyes looked over at Seven. "No one is perfect Sev. I should know, I'm far from it."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Seven Xu on June 6th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Seven flashed Kendall a reassuring grin as he seemed to feel the need to berate himself for crying. A hand reached up to pat him on the shoulder, a comforting squeeze, then his own head rested on Kendall's blanket of platinum blond hair. The smell of wildflowers lingering in Kendall's hair filled his nostrils as he took a deep breath. "I forfeited the fight to act like a man a long time ago," Seven admitted with a flippant eye roll. "I'm not kidding. I used to get angry when people mistook me for a woman, or made 'you're so feminine' comments, jokes, but I just don't care anymore. I like who I am. And you're like me, and I like that!" His sentiment was punctuated by a laugh and another swig from the bottle of wine before handing it off to Kendall.

It was obvious that the wine had started effecting his mannerisms, as Seven's giggle was cut short by a hiccup - then he started to laugh at the abrupt noise. The laughing quieted down as Seven took in Kendall's explanation of his meeting Hadrian, disregarding the gushing manner in which he did it. Then, an traveling invite as if it were an afterthought. Seven blinked, the blush bubbling up to his porcelain face again and he smiled knowingly, slowly shaking his head. Hadrian had done the same. He began to wonder if the invitation was more a polite consolation than anything else. "No, that is your journey. That's your path, not mine. We'll meet again though, I'm sure of it." A nod.

The simple fact that Kendall hadn't previously pointed out his Symenestra heritage on his own, despite being a learned man, bred an uncontrollable grin across his face. For once, someone didn't care what race his blood belonged to. Someone didn't poke or prod at him and ask him why he was different. They just accepted him. He wasn't something to Kendall, he was just Seven. Tears burned his eyelids and another laugh came with a wave of feeling in his throat that made his voice crack. "Yeah. Symenestra." He reinforced the thought with a nod against Kendall's hair that turned into somewhat of an awkward nuzzle. As Kendall listed off the facts he knew of the Widow race, Seven would give a nod here and there, or a reassuring "Yep," but for the most part he was passive until he knew Kendall had finished.

"Is there something you don't want me to know?"

The question forced Seven to sit up and stare into Kendall's face. Pupils grew small, and his pale lips stumbled over thoughts that were impossible to put into coherent words. Pink tongue lashed out across his bottom lip before he managed a response. "No, no. I want you to know everything."

Coward. The thought stained his mind and he held back a grimace. Of course, it was safe to tell Kendall everything, he'd be gone within a matter of days and he would never have to confront him again. Whether or not they remained friends would mean little, in reality. The bitter thought made him shrink away from his companion, hands resting in his own lap and back craned forward over his tiny frame, rather than around Kendall's shoulders. When he started to speak, he would not stop until he was sufficiently satisfied with his confessions.

"Symenestra aren't a well-liked race. I'm sure you know that much from what you've studied. Yes, we - they - eat by breaking down food with venom, they can see easily in the dark," Seven hummed. "Being able to focus ones eyes down to the details of controlling your own pupils makes adjusting to light easy. And, yeah. A full-blooded Symenestra kills its mother when it's born. It's an unfortunate reality of the race. In order to continue, sacrifices must be made. And because many believe it is better to kill off 'inferior' races rather than allowing their own females to die, they seek out females from other races, luring them to their beds with promises." Seven looked pale - paler than usual, as if he were going to be sick. "It's called the Harvest. Lhavit was a particular hot spot for the Harvest because it was so close to Kalinor. Symenestra are hated so fiercely there. I don't blame them, it's a horrible thing. But, when you're innocent and being accused of a rapist and murderer by some father that lost his daughter, or a husband whose wife fell victim to a Symenestra's seduction ..."

Seven's eyes welled up with tears and he swallowed a painful lump in his throat.

"That's always in the back of my head when I meet someone. Are they going to take a closer look at me, and recognize the face of a monster?" Air escaped Seven in a wavering sigh. "I'm afraid to get close to anyone. You're the first person I've let in in a really long time." The last had been a Symenestra, Seven wasn't exactly sure if that counted considering the man had been the one to tell him these things when he himself was ignorant to the harsh realities of the blood they shared. "I vowed a long time ago to never get myself mixed up in a romance with a woman." Where had that come from? Seven almost choked on his words as a blush rushed to his face again. "I couldn't bear to kill someone, you know? But, I'm not entirely as deprived and lonely as you think."

Confessions piled on top of confessions, they poured out of Seven like he was a sieve. "I know I told you when we first met, when you brought up kissing and telling." Why am I doing this? Seven laughed nervously, trying to immediately brush off the seriousness of his Harvest story. His voice dropped to a whisper and the blush raged on. "I guess I was embarrassed. I have little interest in women, and now you know why."

Seven's tears had dried on his cheeks. "I kissed a man once, though." A pause, and hints of a smile tugged at his lips. "Nothing really came of it, I was fifteen and curious. It sounds silly to say, doesn't it? Here I am complaining about people calling me too feminine one minute, but I don't exactly help my own cause."

Then Seven fell silent, and looked to Kendall, eyes searching nervously for a reaction.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 9th, 2011, 2:36 am

Kendall shrugged as he forced a smile in Seven's direction. "I wish someone thought I was a girl." Kendall might have been a bit feminine but he did not look like a girl. His body, while not extremely toned, had enough muscle to give him the definition of a man. On top of that his voice was too deep to be a girl's voice. "It's good you are comfortable with who you are. I wish I was." He gladly took the bottle from Seven and drank. He loved the drink for its ability to dull the razor points of his sorrows. He had tried to be strong but the truth was still evident. It would be a long time before Kendall would feel comfortable as a man.

"Thats fair." Kendall could have said more but he did not want to pressure his friend into joining him. "I'm really going to miss you Seven. I know we haven't know each other for too long but you really are one of the greatest friends I have had." Kendall held the bottle of wine up into the dying light of Syna and took a swig. He was worried about leaving Seven. What if when he came back he had been changed back? He wanted it more than almost anything but what if Seven didn't want to be friends with him as a girl? His family had pushed him away when he had become a man. They had wanted nothing to do with him because he was so different. "I'm worried…" He was finding it hard to say the words he was thinking of. "I'm scared I'll change and you won't want to be my friend anymore." It was a very watered down version of what he wanted to say. "I am scared that when we meet again everything will be too different." Kendall was not sure if the words even made sense. They made sense to him but what about Seven? He was only telling half of the story to his friend. He could not bear to say what was really on his mind.

Kendall's mismatched eyes tried to search Seven. There had to be a reason why he had brought his blood up. Kendall frowned a bit as Seven moved away. Had he done something to upset him? It became clear when Seven started to talk though. He spoke of the less than desirable traits of the Symenestra. The worst of them, the Harvest. Kendall remembered hearing about it in classes but he had not wanted to believe it was true. He could not blame Steven for it though. He was not the one who killed all of the girls. He reached out to Seven. "That must have been terrible. I… I cannot even imagine how that could feel." He wanted to give Seven space but before he knew it he was hugging his friend. "I'm so sorry that happened to you Seven." The closest thing he had experienced to what Seven described was when his parents saw him for the first time after his accident. They had looked at him with such distain. "You don't have to worry about me. I know you would never hurt someone. You are one of the most kind people I know." He was not sure if it as his place to speak about the Symenestra but he did although only to make Seven feel better. "Maybe it is wrong for me to say this since I am human but I don't think you should be ashamed of who you are." He pulled away to smile at Seven. "You are different and maybe it means people will judge you before they know you. In the end, the people who are going to judge you like that aren't worth knowing anyways." He chuckled a bit at his words. He sounded a lot like Hadrian as he spoke of self-acceptance. "A close friend told me something that has really helped me. A body is just a body. Inside of us we are simply souls moving from life time to life time. It does not matter who you are on the outside. It is your soul that counts." As he spoke he poked at Seven's chest as if he was trying to point out his soul. "It seems like you have a good one to me."

Kendall did not have any right to judge Seven on his choice of partners. Technically he was a man who delighted in the flesh of another man. He felt as though internally he was a woman but externally he clearly was not. "There is nothing wrong with that. You love who you love right?" He wrapped his arm around Seven's shoulders. "As strange as it sounds, I don't think you kissing a guy makes you feminine. Love is love right? You fall for soul, not body. Falling for body isn't love, it is lust." Kendall chuckled as he looked at Seven. "Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a philosophy lesson. Feel free to slap me across the head if I am getting preachy."

Seven had shared so much with Kendall. He had bore his soul and his fears to him and still Kendall was hiding from him. "I like that we can speak freely like this." The idea was so simple. Speaking it was harder. Kendall never knew how to word it correctly. "It feels as though I could say anything and it would be okay. That is silly right?" The two boys were scarily alike. They both had deep secrets, the things that seemed to haunt them. They knew they could not tell anyone and yet Seven had told Kendall his secret. "I have a secret too." Kendall's smiled awkwardly at Seven. "I was not born with mismatched eyes. They used to both be green. I had a little accident though." Kendall was scared. Would Seven still want to be his friend when he found out he was not a feminine man but a girl trapped in a man's body? That was if Seven even asked about it. Kendall hoped he wouldn't although he would not be surprised if he did. "I've never told anyone about my accident but Hadrian." He looked out at the ocean and breathed in. "It is something I have tried to lock away though. I'm sure you know that feels."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook