[Please Add To] Plant List for Mizahar!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Gossamer on June 6th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Hi folks. It's increasingly came to my attention that we need a plant list for Mizahar. People are using unique herbs undocumented or inventing tree types, bush types and berry types. We need some place to list these things.

It's fine to mention something in a thread that's unique, but it needs to be documented so we can eventually write it up and put it in the wiki. So, without further ado, we'll go ahead and create this ongoing list so if you use a plant that's not common (like willow bark or sage) then note it here with a link to the thread it was used in. That way we keep a record so when we do have a plant list we'll have an easier time amassing the details.

Please retro add things to this list as well.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Mizuriel on June 6th, 2011, 10:21 pm

I think Mizahar should have all real life plants and anything additional that wasn't created up till now should go through the help desk for approval. As for the stuff that was already used, we wait until people submit all newly created plants and then decide which ones to keep and if some need modyfing.. etc. Also i like the whole 'if it's not on the list - it doesn't exist' idea.
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Keipecha on June 7th, 2011, 2:41 am

My character is going to be heavily into herbalism, and OOC I have quite a few books on it as well. I had a quick look through the wiki, and I've yet to find the plant list. Was it actually made, or are we just throwing out the idea at the moment?

If so, the idea of using existing plants makes a lot more sense, since there are thousands that serve pretty much every purpose, and are easily found online. Most have Folk names, which are usually more fantasy-esque, and would fit nicely into the Milzahar Universe.
Keipecha
Player

Words: 8968
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2011, 2:54 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 7th, 2011, 5:07 pm

I like this! It'd be really nice to say things other than, "Charodae eat kelp." xP I've been doing a little looking around myself in my spare time, though I haven't mentioned anything but seagrass in any of my threads (albeit few).
Candira
A Curious Soul

Words: 26228
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2011, 6:03 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Riki Stormheart on June 7th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Here is a post I did in a thread with Sama'el where Riki was treating Sam's horse. He explains which herbs are in certain tinctures that are used to heal and ease pain. I think you were meaning for more threads where the individual herbs are sat out and described individually but Riki sorta lumps them together in this thread.

Hope this helps! I'm sure I'll have more to add soon. Riki loves his herbalism!
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Smudge on June 7th, 2011, 10:28 pm

This thread although not very detailed concerning the effects of poison on the body still gives us a very good glimpse of what the herb looks like and which of its parts bear any merit.
Smudge
Mizuriel incognito

Words: 13660
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2011, 9:28 pm
Office

Postby Irriari on June 7th, 2011, 11:43 pm

I got lazy about the effects of it- mainly because poisons have different effects when cooked and ingested raw. Still doesn't mean I should have gotten lazy, but I planned to write more about the plant in a future thread when Irr cooks it.

Edit: Will fungi and mushrooms go on this list? I'm writing a few detailed threads on those as well.

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Constance on June 8th, 2011, 6:50 am

I'm not sure if this is how I should go about this, but I had some spare time and I figured it wouldn't hurt to post a list of sorts for the moderators of Mizahar to look threw. All the links will lead to a Wikipedia page about that particular herb.

• Agrimonia: For jaundice and other liver ailments,. diuretic. ulcers, diarrhea, and skin problems, athlete's foot, sores, slow-healing wounds, and insect bites.
  • Medicago sativa: For diuretic, relieves urinary and bowel problems, anemia, fatigue, kidneys, peptic ulcers, pituitary problems, and for building general health.
  • Aloë: For laxative, wound-healing, general tonic or cure-all.
  • Angelica archangelica: For gas, bloating, indigestion and heartburn. It is often used to stimulate circulation in the pelvic region. For this reason, Angelica should not be used if pregnant or diabetic.
  • Pimpinella anisum: For indigestion, coughs, colic and gas.
  • Arnica: For topical application to bruises, aches and sprains.
  • Astragalus: Increases metabolism, helps to strengthen the immune system, and is used in the healing of wounds.
  • Berberis: For use as a topical application for bruises, aches and sprains.
  • Ocimum basilicum: For stomach cramps, vomiting, fevers, colds, flu, headaches.
  • Monarda: For nausea and vomiting, blemishes, coughs, fevers, depression and stress.
  • Bilberry: For diarrhea.
  • Actaea racemosa: Herbalists recommend its use as an astringent, diuretic, anti-diarrhea, and cough suppressant. It should not be used during pregnancy.
  • Viburnum prunifolium: It contains a uterine relaxant which helps relieve menstrual cramps and miscarriage. Because it contains an aspirin-like substance it is also good for fever and pain relief. However, because aspirin has been linked to some birth defects it is recommended that pregnant women should not take this.
  • Cnicus benedictus: For appetite stimulant, heart, kidneys, liver, and lungs.
  • Caulophyllum thalictroides: It is used to regulate menstrual flow and to help relieve pain during childbirth. Should not be taken during pregnancy.
  • Peumus boldus: Tonic, antiseptic, stimulant.
  • Eupatorium: For treating high fevers and flu.
  • Arctium: For use as a diuretic and diaphoretic, blood purifier.
  • Calendula: For infection, skin conditions.
  • Carum carvi: For indigestion and abdominal distress.
  • Nepeta cataria: For a medicinal tea for colds and fever. It is useful in treating colds as it produces free perspiration, without raising the temperature of the body. It is also good in relieving restlessness, colic, and nervousness.
  • Vitex agnus-castus: For relief of paralysis, pains in the limbs, and weakness.
  • Tussilago farfara: For coughs and bronchial congestion.
  • Ephedra sinica: For nerve stimulation resembling adrenaline.
  • Euphrasia: It is recommend by herbalists for its use in diseases of the sight, weakness of the eyes.
  • Panax: For general well being, increased energy, enhanced athletic performance, mental function and immunity.
  • Lavandula: Reduces anxiety, overcomes insomnia, has anti-microbial properties which help with wound healing, is used as a digestive aid and insect repellent.
  • Mandragora: Used to induce vomiting and a purgative.
  • Silybum: Liver protector, hepatitis, mushroom poisoning, cirrhosis, drug-induced liver damage, toxin-induced liver damage.
  • Rosmarinus officinalis: Food poisoning, infections, digestive problems, congestion.
  • Klamath weed: Depression, infections, wounds.
  • Dioscorea villosa: Colic, morning sickness.

This is just to list a few. I'm sure some of these have side effects that might be interesting to incorporate into the list as well.

Oh and here, I just found this website that talks about what problems a particular combinations of herbs will help with.
Constance
The blind herbalist

Words: 30350
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2011, 4:09 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 8th, 2011, 7:55 am

Okay, I think some of you players missed the whole point of this post. Thank you for contributing your opinions and additions. But what I really needed was a LIST of PLANTS that folks have ALREADY USED in game - be they made up or actual plants.

Thanks to those that actually did post as I requested. Please keep posting things that showed up in your threads.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Siiri on June 8th, 2011, 8:13 am

Guava leaves, used either as ingredient for a poultice or boiled as tea, used in the following threads:

First Blood
An Outsider's Arrival
What You Have Given Me
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next