[Kabrin Road] The Road We Must Travel (Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 7th, 2011, 4:58 am

2nd of Summer, 511 AV
Tagged: Cathan, Sondra, Hadrian, and Ethan

It was finally time to move on. As Kendall stood at the Kabrin Road as he waited for the rest of his traveling group to arrive. He was going to miss Syliras. Although Markus had not been as welcoming as he had hoped it had still been nice to see his childhood friend. He could not help but think back to him. He hoped that Markus would become a knight but more so, he worried about him. Kendall would always worry about Markus though. They had been each other's best friends and even in the simplest ways, each other's first love, although it was painfully innocent. Kendall would also be leaving behind Jaelyn, a girl who Kendall had confided in with his secret. If there was one person Kendall would miss it would be Seven, the mixed blood that he had literally run into during his extended stay in the city. He had become very close friends with him and it pained him to leave just when they were getting so close.

This was just another step forward. It was another step toward Ivak, if Kendall was going to follow that path. At the moment he was just happy to have people to bring along for the journey with him. He had started his struggle to reclaim his gender alone but as he moved forward he had been picking up people. First Cathan, then Sondra, and finally Hadrian. Through Hadrian Kendall had met Ethan. Things were already turning out much different than he had imagined. They were now about to head to Ravok and Kendall was not sure if he was scared or estatic to move on. He was sure a part of him would always want to stay in Syliras.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Hadrian on June 9th, 2011, 2:33 am

Hadrian was not prepared for Ravok, but they had a long journey ahead of them with which to make sure he was as prepared as possible. His mount was a wily, though ofttimes stupid Ravok Bloodbane, and he had a set if fine new black clothes in his saddlebags that would match the pretty beast's black coat when the time came. If Adrasteios was not vicious enough to be pure-blooded, he wasn't sure he wanted to meet a pure-blooded Bloodbane. Of course, he wasn't the best rider so this would be an interesting trip, but they hadn't the money to spare on a carriage, and a wagon would slow them down too much. It was best to keep the disguise simple.

He was leaving behind Syliras, but he had made a habit of that. It would always be home, and Zeltiva would always be home. There was just too much road to travel and too many places to see to keep him cooped up for long. And, of course, now there were people who needed him, whose need didn't make him feel stifled or tied down.

Soon enough he caught the sight of that blond head and he dared urge Adrasteios forward with awkward heels to his sides, but didn't let the Bloodbane too close for fear of him taking a bite out of Kendall's leg or mount.

"Kendall," he said warmly. They weren't exactly wandering off into some blissful sunset, but at least they were together. Then he looked skyward for Ethan, looking for that flash of familiar aura, not knowing whether he would land to chat or just track from above.

"Any sign of Cathan and Sondra?"
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Cathan on June 9th, 2011, 2:11 pm

It was good to run, to feel the grass beneath his pawns. He had spend more time outside the castle walls in spring than in winter, together with one of the others or, once he had realized the guards would let him in again without complains, alone. Still, at night he has always strolled back to the stone city with its skyless alleys and the warm heath in Sondra’s room. He had grown used to both and had even come to appreciate the later, but neither made him as happy as the prospect to sleep out in the woods again.

He had missed the songs of the wild, the rustling of grass and trees and the humming of bees which turned into the chirping crickets at night fall. He had missed the scents and smells of a forest almost untouched by humans, one which was home only to the occasional hunter. He had missed the fresh air and the wind tugging at his short summer coat, the occasional rain.

He had missed travelling.

In the distance the Kelvic made out two riders, two men whose familiar frames he recognized even on the long range. He smiled. Without hurry the large wolf trotted towards the two, only the leather bag slung over his shoulder identifying him as more than a mere beast escaped from the woods and he hoped to get ride of it soon. He doubt Kendall would mind to help him with his gear once more, it was hardly any heavier than the last time they had been on the road together.

In Syliras the shapeshifter had restocked for their travel, but he had not acquired many new items. Most his belongings was equipment bought for his former travel from Zeltiva to Syliras and to Cathan’s delight most everything had survived the one season it had laid forgotten in a corner. He had not taken too well care of it.

Reaching the riders Cathan let his bag slip down the ground, running a loose circle around the two horses, eyeing them. One of the two he knew, the animal Kendall had been riding on their way up north, the other was new - but did not shy away from the wolf the way many horses used to do when they saw him the first time. Half curious he made a step towards the black steed - at least until he noticed the animal’s teeth which did not look like the sort of teeth he had expected.

Slinking out of the black horse way he let out a greeting bark towards Hardian and Kendall before sitting down on some patch of grass, waiting for the rest of their group to arrive.
Cathan
Player

Words: 134817
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 4:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sondra on June 10th, 2011, 2:29 am

Kendall and Cathan had rushed out earlier, eager to be on the road, while Sondra covered her head and swore at the meager light that made its way into her room. Yes, yes, she’d be coming. Yes, yes, she’d get there in time.

Gods, why was she going to Ravok of all places? Like a fool, she got all pliant when someone wanted to include her. The house would seem empty without Cathan’s questionable pile and Kendall’s mildly nervous energy. She’d had empty houses before, though. What was one more?

Worse yet, the group would be five strong. People all around at all hours. It was smart considering the destination, but she wondered how well she’d fit in. Cathan and Kendall already made her feel a bit at odds through no fault of their own.
Lady-Lis, she was like a baby Konti fearing class. Worse case scenario, if the social awkwardness got too strong she could wander into the woods and pick a fight with something toothy.

Packing was easy when you didn’t have much and you didn’t care about wrinkles. She remembered when she used to keep furs and shawls neatly folded and would compulsively smooth her gown with her hands. Now it was all blindly crammed in a bag.

When Sondra came up the road, her posture was stiff. As she got closer one could see the beginnings of what would develop into a handsome shiner around her left eye. How she earned it the night before was strictly her business. She still smelled of smoke from her work in Li Matua, all things considered it was the preferable scent to absorb considering the options.

Sondra didn’t look particularly keen on going to Ravok, the seat of a god she had chancy interactions with. Nervous fingers hovered over the talisman she wore, but never quite took hold. Eventually she put steel in her gut and chewed up the butterflies.

When she got closer she nodded at the cozy looking Kendall and Hadrian.

“You both are looking smarmy and well-rested.”
She glanced down at the sitting Cathan, “Naked and free as per usual.”

Despite the content, her greetings were given in humor.

Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Words: 141440
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Ethan on June 10th, 2011, 7:08 am

Ethan was very fortunate to have Hadrian to care for him. It had been nearly two weeks and his leg was making a remarkable recovery. It no longer pained him as much and he could fly again without too much strain on the wound. Hadrian had Even insisted Ethan staying with him while he healed and learned Auristics. Also carried his belongings in his saddle bags so he wouldn't be troubled with carrying them. His teacher was definitely a gentleman.

The Hydromancer was just one of the many thoughts swirling in the Kelvics mind. While he was perched in a tall Oak over looking the gathering spot. Since he barely had to pack and could simply fly straight out of the Hadrian's window. He was out early enough to see most of them start to gather.

Kendall he had met before and rather liked, arrived first. Hadrian his trusted teacher and friend was second. Cathan was third and in his splendid wolf form. Ethan loved the idea of traveling with kin and would need to hunt at least once with him. Last, but the most intriguing was Sondra. Her hair was bright blond almost white, and she had the signature scales of the Konti. A race that he hadn't really encountered before and knew little about. He would be very intrigued to talk and study her Aura.

The summer winds were warm but refreshing as they brushed between his feathers. He didn't want to make the others wait, but he was so very comfortable. It was a shame he couldn't call out to them so they could start without him. It would be easier to simply hop from tree to tree and watch them stroll along on their slow horses.

With reluctance he kicked off of his perch and used his large wings to glide at a easy slope. When he was close to Hadrian he turned in a tight circle and touched down on the back of his saddle as gentle as possible. He was warned about the surly mount and was glad to be out of reach of any bites.

Ethan pecked affectionately at Hadrian's clothes before turning around in the saddle to observe the rest of the group, giving deep throaty cries as a greeting. It was a little awkward to first meet them while he was so much smaller. It was a strange thought but he didn't like being shorter than them.
Ethan
"If you need help, look up"

Words: 286041
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2011, 9:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 11th, 2011, 6:42 am

The worries about leaving Syliras seemed to melt away as Kendall heard Hadrian utter his name. "Hello Hadrian." He smiled warmly at him as he looked him over. The horse was new but Kendall had expected him to show up with a new mount. He was relieved to see Dyakana react calmly to the other horse. He would have hated to see her uncomfortable. "What is your horse's name?" It was a bit of a strange question for the fact that it was not a standard ice breaker. Since Kendall felt so close to his mare he wanted to know the name of Hadrian's. With a name there was personality and a connection. "I have not seen them yet but I'm sure we will see them soon." Kendall urned for Cathan's company. He felt as though he had barely seen him all season.

A few chimes passed before Cathan's head popped out of the bushes. At first he was a little startled thinking Cathan was just another wolf. The pack on his back proved otherwise. Kendall slowly got down off of Dyakana's back to walk to Cathan's side. "Hey Cathan. I feel like I haven't seen you in a season! I'll take the bag for you if you like." He slipped the bag off of Cathan's shoulders and pulled it over his own for the time being. He decided to sit down next to Cathan in the grass as he waited for Sondra and Ethan to arrive. He missed being by the wolf's side

Kendall smiled softly as Sondra appeared. Their previous night had been an interesting one. If anything, it was clear proof as to why he needed to get his taste for alcohol in check. "Hello Sondra. Good to see you are feeling well." He had seen his fair share of bar fights although they were from a spectators view point, never from the fighters as he had seen the night prior.

The last to arrive was Ethan who settled down on the saddle of Hadrian's horse. The group was assembled and now there was nothing left but to head to the city of chaos. Kendall was a bit scared but he tried to calm himself in the thought of his companions. There was strength in numbers and if he had made it to Syliras with only Sondra and Cathan at his side two new companions would have to help, right? Kendall did not know much about navigation but he tried to give as much direction as he could. If somene knew more they would be welcome to chime in. He did now know much about the world outside of Zeltiva and he had only just become aquainted with Syliras. "I am thinking that we head down Kabrin Road to Ravok. The road usually leads to Taldera but I imagine we can head off once we start to get closer to Ravok." Kendall was not very secure about his skills in direction. "Of course, I am open to any suggestion. I know the majority of the group is more traveled than me."
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Hadrian on June 11th, 2011, 7:10 am

"The bastard's name is Adrasteios and if he doesn't behave, I'm going to cut his balls off myself," Hadrian said through gritted teeth. The nasty Bloodbane hadn't done anything yet, but it was only a matter of time. No wonder he had gotten such a deal and Ser Ulliver had just shaken his head and chuckled. "I got him and some fine black clothes to wear in Ravok, hoping to look like one of their snobbish fops or something. Thinking ahead," he said, tapping his temple, then cursed and grabbed the reins hard to try to keep Adrasteios in line.

He smiled at Cathan's bark and grinned at Sondra. "Hello, hello," he said with false cheer. They were going to hell and there was no way around it, but Kendall needed guardians, and so Hadrian was doing what he could. "Oh, hello." He laughed when Ethan landed hard on the saddle's special perch because it startled the hell out of the stupid horse. He twisted in his saddle once Adrasteios was calmer and put his hand out to ruffle the downy feathers at Ethan's shoulder. They were comfortable with each other now after Ethan had spent all that time living with him while he recuperated.

"The Kabrin Road is our best bet through most of Sylira, I think. It's patrolled by the Knights and kept in good condition so we'll travel fast. With Cathan and Ethan scouting for us, though, I think we should be able to avoid a lot of danger. I for one don't want to have an adventure. I just want us to take care of Kendall's business and get out of there alive."

He tried to smile through the morbidity of that statement.

"Oh, and beware of Adrasteios here. He bites. And Cathan... Ethan... I might need your help feeding him. He's a carnivore. Which is just unnatural for a horse, but... Well, when in Ravok..."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Cathan on June 11th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Cathan had always held a certain dislike for his human form. It was weak and clumsy compared to his compact canine shape and needed so much more attention when he wanted to avoid people starring at him. Bathing. Dressing. Combing. No, life as a wolf was much easier in that regard.

Wearing his wolven skin only had a single drawback. It made communication with anything but other wolves a hit and miss experience. He could not even blame the others for not understanding him - his range of expressions and gestures was simply limited. The Kelvic was all the more glad when Kendall understood him without words. Before he could even have asked the young man had already picked up his equipment. The wolf thanked his friend with a quick lick over the back of his hand.

He had missed the other man as well.

The wolf set up when Sondra joined the group, offering her one of his wolfish grins. He was glad the Konti had decided to accompany them. Maybe now the weather was warmer they would actually find some lake or stream for a quick swim. He had offered her, quite some time ago, but as so often it had slipped his mind, just to dawn on him again in the warmth of summer.

Ethan’s cry made him look to the side. The Kelvic resisted the urge to dart after the smaller figure the way he might have gone after a pigeon. Not because he was hungry, just to see if he was able to catch the eagle. Quickly Cathan pushed his instincts aside, instead offering yet another welcoming bark, before laying down beside Kendall again, listing as the young man explained the route they would take.

He nodded to both the young blond as well as Hadrian when the two had ended. The plan was good, better as anything he had to offer anyway. And he was looking forward to scout a head. And to hunt. Even when it was for a very strange horse. Golden eyes settled on Adrasteios. A very strange horse.
Cathan
Player

Words: 134817
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 4:45 pm
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sondra on June 12th, 2011, 3:10 am

“Feeling well.” Sondra parroted Kendall’s greeting.

“That’s one way of putting it. I like you, Kendall, but I’m taking you to buy stockings on our next outing. “

Her smile was that quick predatory one she’d flash on occasion. Despite her protest, it looked like she had fun.
“You’re a worthless brawl partner.”
If she was close enough, she would have patted his cheek.
“Good thing you’re pretty.”

Cathan’s wolfy grin always made her want to reach out and scratch behind his ears, but she never dared. With a Kelvic it seemed mildly inappropriate. Add to that she didn’t want anymore flashes of history souring her perspective on the wolf.

When Ethan arrived, the Konti eyed him a little dubiously. Was it another Kelvic or an eerily clever bird? The way he was addressed, Sondra was leaning toward the former. She had just gotten used to Cathan and didn’t know how much more variety she could handle sober. Kelvics always had the goriest sins. This time she would control her need to be prepared and keep a healthy distance.

She nodded at Kendall’s proposal regarding the path, “Absolutely. I love roads, especially guarded ones.”

Her attentions diverted when Hadrian’s carnivorous mount began to side-step under him.

“Lady-Lis, Hadrain,” Sondra laughed, “We’ve got a petching menagerie going and you contribute a horse with an appetite.”

Sondra was eyeing the Bloodbane with a smirk.
“You do like to tempt fate.”

Sondra
The Sinspeaker

Words: 141440
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Ethan on June 13th, 2011, 1:12 am

Ethan was sitting comfortably on his perch, his hard talons making fresh indents into the supple leather. Carefully watching the others, keeping an eye on both Cathan and Sondra especially. The wolf made him feel a little uneasy for obvious reasons, and Sondra was just interesting to look at. Uncomfortable with the situation he simply sat and listened while they spoke among themselves.

When Hadrian turned in his saddle to pet and ruffle Ethan, he was relieved. Affection was something he had never really gotten before, and he was soaking it up. It let him know that Hadrian was there, and if anything happened he would stick up for him. The two were becoming thick as thieves while they stayed together and it was making Ethan more confident in his support.

He felt comfortable enough to relax and fluff his feathers out nicely on his perch. Listening as Kendall talked about directions. He was glad about coming on this trip. He didn't know if the others were any good at directions, but he definitely had that area down from being his old master's scout. Only problem was he never docked at Rovak.

Sondra made slightly snide comments towards everyone as she talked. He wasn't sure what he should think of her. Hadrian told him they were friends... Maybe this was how people treated each other? Either way he wasn't going to make a fuss over it until he mentioned it to Hadrian later.
Ethan
"If you need help, look up"

Words: 286041
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2011, 9:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next