[Silver Sliver]Going out for a Pint[Reaver]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Smiling, Clyde saw that he was trying to convince him to do a bit of magic. He guessed it would not hurt to do a small bit of magic, though he wondered if the other guy knew any personal magics. Picking up the chalk, he started.

"Well I guess a demonstration would not hurt, but when I do the magic, try to be discrete. And also know you could not make such a thing know, not until you get better. At least nothing that will hold together for long."

Drawing a focus, he placed it on the table. Then he drew out a barrier around it, to keep the magic in once he cast it. Finally he drew a trigger, and worded out the thing to start it. Saying the words 'Magic come out and produce your effect.' It was a bit bland, but he did not plan to keep it there for long.

Finally, his glyphs done, he got ready to do some reimancy. Looking around to be discrete, he extruded a bit of gaseous res from his hand. Snapping his fingers, he ignited the ball of res' outer layer into fire. He kept it small so as to not draw attention. Though with something this small, he could easily keep it under control in his sleep.

Then he dropped the ball and sent it down into the focus. For a moment there was a flash, and the the ball of flame descended into the focus as if it was a rock sinking into the surface of a lake, disappearing as it did. The flame vanished, leaving just the glyphs unscathed.

Looking up, he checked to see how the other person thought of it. He had kept it simple on purpose, he did not want to do anything to flashy and get in trouble.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Reaver on July 14th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Reaver listened to him, it appeared he would oblige. He drew out the glyphs, which Reaver looked at intently. He watched as the other mage formed Djed to, and out of his hand, forming it into a strange gas. The gas caught fire when he snapped, and he dropped it on the table. Not a single burn mark, to the glyphs or table. "Fascinating." With enough of these runes around an area, it could become a magical prison. I wonder if it would work on ghosts? I might need to ask later.Reaver's mind now had a number of questions it hadn't before. The possibilities finally started to sink in, but he knew the 'trigger' was yet to go. "By all means, finish the demonstration. I've seen the focus and barrier in action, but not how a trigger works." He continued to look over this demonstration with high expectations.
Reaver's CS (Voice: #3355FF Thoughts: #000AAA Hidden: #3D2828)
Reaver
Student Teacher

Words: 212925
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 1:51 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 14th, 2011, 9:34 pm

"So, yes you saw it all in action. The focus caught the magic, and the barrier kept it in. The trigger will release the magic, and send it back out at the same speed by which I sent it in. Which will be rather slow from the way I dropped it."

Sitting forward, and extruding a small but of res from his hand, he spoke the words of the trigger: 'Magic come out and produce your effect.' This would make the fire pop out, and start to slowly float back up. Having been used up, the glyphs would become useless, either disappearing in places, or smear to the point of being useless. It was obvious such glyphs were only meant for a one time use.

As the fire floated back up, Clyde used his res to attract it to his hand, and made it float. Then he brought it over to a nearby unlit candle, and sparking it used the flame to ignite its wick. Done with his demonstration, Clyde pulled back in the excess res, and sat for a moment.

"So, there is your demonstration of a basic application. As you get better, you can make more long lasting glyphs, and even make scrolls and such with magic that could be sold or used a long time later. However at your level you could only do simple things, and they would not hold together for very long. Now you go ahead and make each of those three common sigils, to get a feel for it."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Reaver on July 16th, 2011, 3:20 am

Reaver nodded as the other explained what happened, and twice when he explained what was going to happen. Reaver watched with great interest as he finished the demonstration, and then lit a nearby candle. He then explained a touch more then Reaver had learned before. Is he new to teaching then? He doesn't seam to do well with lectures.

"That leaves me with a bit mroe to ask. How long do you expect these glyphs of mine to last? What happens to the glyphs that are holding magic when they... stop lasting? Oh, and how am I supposed to know what to draw for the glyphs? Could I really just draw any shape and expect it to work? I think not, magic is not so easy. And is simply drawing these enough to teach me how to read them as well? I feel I am missing steps."
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 16th, 2011, 4:34 am

Clyde was a bit aggravated, since he had asked him several times now to draw out the glyphs, and still hadn't. But he tried to stay on topic, which was hard for anyone who was not a expert teacher.

"Well, at your level the glyphs will not be permanent. Until you are more skilled, you will only use the glyphs right away, not for later use. If you tried to store away magic for use at a later time, the glyphs could lose cohesion at any moment, randomly firing off the magics within. That is very dangerous and possibly deadly."

"So while they will last long enough for a short task or training session, don't expect them to last longer than a few hours, and less if you are storing magic inside of your glyphs. Though once you get better, they can be stored and used at a later time."

"The shape depends on the user, you as a glypher give meaning to your glyphs. Which is why it is usually something relevant to you. So depending on your purpose, you would use different glyphs. The glyphs are an expression of your control, which is unique to you. What they look like is not so important, understanding your glyphs and there abilities are."

"And though everyone does there glyphs differently, they are similar in there core concepts, and common sigils, which will be obvious to you as you get more skilled. You must simply examine the patterns, and check there structure and intent to see what it does. This is why any glypher can read any other glyphs."

Having said all this, he checked once more for comprehension in the other person. He was trying to get the points across, but it was not always easy, especially with glyphing, which was not all an exact same thing for everyone. Since it could be represented differently, it seemed to confuse many people.

"Now, I still need you to physically do these three sigils I described to you. I could talk about it all day, and you would learn a lot of glyphing, but if you do not actually physically do them, you will gain no skills in it and will not be able to do it on your own. And i think you are wanting to learn to do these glyphs for your own purposes."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Reaver on July 16th, 2011, 2:31 pm

Reaver kept the important parts in mind. A few hours, but not holding magic. Pattern matters, must remember that. ...and my teacher is a touch impatient. Reaver took the chalk back up, ready to draw. He cleared away the remains of the previous runes, and prepared to draw his own. He started with the simplest sigil, drawing a simple circle with great care. Around it, he drew a series of straight lines, that surrounded the circle. Near those, he drew a box. After about a minute of drawing, he was done. "I believe that is the same structure you had. The circle is the focus, the surrounding lines the barrier, and the box is the trigger... Ah." He wrote out something in Isur. Now Release... in a different language. I can lean new things while he tries to teach me. "Is it wrong?"
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 16th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Feeling it through he saw the patterns there, and recognized his structures and the purpose behind it all. Looking over his new students sigils, it was not bad for a first attempt. Though it was good he tried it first without magic, as his barrier had a few gaps. If that had been used on active magics, it would have escaped out of the hole and been activated.

"Well it is not to bad for a rookie. Your focus is pretty good, and the trigger not to bad, though you need to add to your barrier a bit. There are a few weak spots through which magic could escape. If you add a glyph here and here, it should fix it."

He would say this last bit with a quick couple of points, to show were the gap was, which could be easily fixed.

"You must be careful with your glyphs, take your time at this stage. At your skill level it will take a while to draw them, or else they will be imperfect or lacking in strength. Better to draw one good glyph than many faulty ones."

"Now, do you know any personal magic? If so you should try using a focus to help enhance your ability to do so. This helps to see a hands on example of your own skill, and how it will help you in your magics."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Reaver on July 17th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Reaver will look over the sigils. It seamed that the simple shapes of the runes made it just as easy to fail, and no easier to draw. Distance from the focus, and the rotation of his lines, though only slight variations, made a large difference. He decided a tighter formation of them, a near-complete circle would do a much better job, leaving room for the trigger. He looked at his trigger, it was... annoying. He decided it would need changed to better suit the attempts he was to make. "take your time" he said. Something he finds himself doing with every magical art.

"you should try using a focus to help enhance your ability" "Personal magics are dangerous. Why not try something simpler, like a magic circle? I intend to use this art to enhance my research around that field, after all. If we could find somewhere with some room, and maybe less of a crowd, maybe you could pick up some knowledge as well." As he said this, he carefully drew a circle on his left wrist.
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 17th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Looking over the glyphs, this attempt seemed much better. He had the basics down, and had learned what was usually taught on a first initiation into glyphing. Now it was his turn to be taught.

"Well, that is much better. I think you have the basics down. Enough to try an attempt on your own. And yes, another more private spot might be better. Did you have a place to meet in mind? I think you have learned enough for know. I would still like to be taught an initiation to animation as you had said in exchange for my teaching glyphing."

It was only fair, since he had fulfilled his end of the bargain. And though he would be doing no great glyphs for now, he would be able to work at it and progress to get better later.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Reaver on July 18th, 2011, 4:50 am

Reaver continued drawing his glyphs, as the one he drew while talking was being accompanied by another on a different spot. A smaller one near his index finger. He took his time with this one as well. After Clyde had finished speaking, he started another on the next finger down.

"I don't think I'm done learning, but I intend to teach you as I continue to learn. Anywhere we won't be bothered for a while would be a prime place to work. Similar to this bar, but can also avoid random prying eyes. My house would be a bit small, and a touch distracting. Would your house be better, or do you have somewhere even better then that in mind? I'm open to suggestions, but I can make one if needed."

He finished that one as he finished talking once again, like it was timed that way. He didn't even look up for the answer, his focus rather set on his strange collection of focus glyphs.
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext