[Flashback]Sealing and Storing with Sigils[Bob]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 20th, 2011, 3:25 pm

50 Winter 505

Going out to Bob's new camp spot, Clyde looked around. He had chosen one much closer to water, which gave a nice ambient noise, along with drowning out any they might make. But they would not be fighting again today, Clyde had a much better plan.

With several pieces of parchment in his pack, he walked up to Bob's campsite. He thought today they could make some scrolls, which he had been meaning to do for a while. Bob could help out some, and maybe even try one himself. Though he doubted Bob's would hold together for long.

"Hello Bob! I thought we could do something a bit different today. You know I am pretty good at glyphing, so I thought we might make some magic scrolls. You can assist me, and we will see what we get done. I thought maybe sealing some lightning?"

"Anyways, Here is a piece for you to try out, just try one, but dont put any magic in it. I don't think your glyphing would be stable enough at this point for it to be safe. You just use some simple sigils, a focus, surrounded by a barrier, with a trigger outside. So try one know."

Going a bit away, he set out his own parchment, and got ready. He took out some ink and his quill, and got ready to start, visualizing his work before starting.
Last edited by Clyde Sullins on November 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 20th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Bob didn't really notice Clyde walking in. Since they were near water Bob was playing around with it for a while he was bored having nothing to do. Bob was running around in the water after he heard a rumour in Syliras a few days earlier that running in water can help improve your running. Why? Bob didn't know but it doesn't hurt to try.

Five minutes earlier on land, Bob was able to run fast enough to outrun a snail but after five minutes of putting one foot in front of the other, Bob went "Splash, splash, splash." everytime a foot went in the water. With the water from the stream splashing out and getting absorbed by Bob's pants, it got heavier and heavier. Of course if it was just that it should not be a problem but after five minutes sprinting with heavy pants and having to go against the force of the stream, Bob got so tired and he won't even be able to outrun a snail by then. At least now he knew why in case he wants to try again next time.

When Clyde spoke up Bob thought "Awwwww no, training when I am already this tired?" But when he heard lightning, he started getting afraid remembering the last time. He took the stuff Clyde gave and looked around to find a wide open space. He didn't want to get slammed into a tree again with another accident but seeing Clyde moving over to the other side he sighed with relief.

Bob sat down and started unrolling his parchment thinking what he should do with it. He still didn't know much about glyphs so he just drew one big circle on it and showed it to Clyde. "What now?"
Last edited by Bob Barton on August 10th, 2011, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 20th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Thinking through what he wanted to do, he then looked over at Bob's work. Clyde supposed that was the focus, but he still needed the other elements.

"Okay, not so bad, you still need to add a barrier and make a trigger, along with stating what affects it. You finish that up, and then I will work on mine. You can compare your work to mine, and see what you need to improve."

Getting to work, he dipped his quill and started to write out his glyphs. He started with his focus, a great word of power to hold his magical energies. Next he started the barrier, with words speaking of 'withholding, encircle, restrict, confine, and limit' making up the glyphs for his barrier sigil.

He took his time with this, writing out each glyph painstakingly and with care. It was better to take your time with such intricate work, making the words mesh into a stronger barrier than the words would be unsupported. He felt he had done enough for his barrier, and was ready in that regard.

Finally he drew out his trigger, and worded out what would release the magics he would soon seal inside, 'Magics Sealed within scroll number one, release your magics.' This being his first try, he felt this seemed it would work.

"So, what do you think of my glyphing? How does it compare and differ from yours. What can you improve? Well, lets see how well it holds magics."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 20th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Missing other elements. Bob got it there are still those barrier pictures and writings to put around so took the quill and started. Since he had no other elements to use in his reimancy all he wrote around the glyph was "Water, water and more water." and for the trigger he wrote "Water comes out from here." Bob never liked writing much, so all the writings turned out a little smudgey especially when his hands accidentally went over the still wet ink. "Oh well, whats done is done. Here you go Mastel Clyde." and Bob showed his horrible handwriting and glyph to him.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 20th, 2011, 5:46 pm

Looking over Bob's work, he saw what he had been trying to do. He had a few simple flaws, but his overall work was decent. Though he doubted it would hold together for long if it held active magic. It would be good to release it soon after filling it.

"Okay, well you did decent for your skill level. Though you might want to add a glyph here, and here, and here, to the barrier to strengthen it. That will help to tie the rest together. I always tie my glyphs into one working unit."

"A series of glyphs tied together will be better than the combined power of each individual glyph. So it will make your sigils that much stronger. Now once you fix it, why dont you try to seal a bit of magic you created within. Though dont keep it in for to long, it will not hold for more than a few minutes right now, not until your skill has improved."

Having finished his own work, Clyde started to work on his magics he would seal within. He began to extrude his res as a gas, and floated it up into a cloud above his parchment.

He breathed it out and sent it out from his skin, using his hands to guide it and send it were he wanted. For know he just let it build up, until he had enough to make his wanted lightning bolt.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 20th, 2011, 6:11 pm

After Clyde explained, Bob looked over his glyph again. Studying the empty spots in the barrier that Clyde pointed out Bob was thinking of how to fill up the empty space. His first lesson came to mind again, where barriers can be anything and everything so Bob took up the quill to the empty spots. There he drew the suits of Syliras cards since he was more familiar with it having stayed here for quite some time already. Bob should be better in drawing but the four main ones being Swords, Spears, Shields and Arrows which he drew completely did not look like it at all. For the sword, it was just a long line being crossed at the bottom by an shorter line. For the spear it was just a line with an inverted "V" on top and for shields it was just a round circle. What about the arrows? It was the same as the spear only Bob drew them in a bunch.

So now surrounding the circular glyph Bob made was a few words saying water spread about with horribly drawn suits of cards in between for barriers. Bob had to hold himself back from puking when he looked at it as he exclaimed "Even a bloody four year old can do better!" and thought if he should just scrap the parchment.

Bob was about to rip the parchment in half when he realized that Clyde would just make him do it all over again since this was today's lesson. Bob sighed and put the parchment on the ground to continue the next step as he started to accumulate his res on his palms. The gel on his hand got bigger and bigger as more res came out from his skin. Then Bob thought to himself how is he going to seal the inside.

Again Bob looked to the first time Clyde tried to teach him glyphs. Bob started absorbing the snow around him until the snowball almost took up his entire palm. Then he transmuted the res inside which started to melt the snowball from the inside out. With the remaining res holding the waterball together, Bob dropped the waterball at the parchment. Just like what happened with the fireball last time.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 20th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Having extruded a good bit or res out of himself, and bundled it into a nice cloud of gaseous energy, he floated it cleanly over the parchment he had glyphed.

Having finished this task, he turned once more to look at what Bob was doing. His new glyphs had strengthened the barrier, and it would probably hold magic for much longer. Though how long was anyones guess. Until he got to close to Clydes skill, he would not be able to make scrolls and glyph items that would work for long term storage.

"Well, it is not to bad, it will not work forever, but that is pretty good for a novice. Just remember to release it before to long, or else the scroll might fall apart on its on. And as you know from experience, when magic is released and its restraints broken, it can get pretty ugly fast."

Watching, Clyde saw as Bob made a new snowball, and dropped it into the focus glyph. As it struck it, there was a small flash of light, and the snow ball fell into it, disappearing like a rock dropping below a dark waters surface. He had been successful in sealing away his magics... For now....

"Not bad, the seal held, and it should work for a while. You have made your first scroll! Though it will not last long, maybe half a bell. Now I will show you mine, my res is ready."

Raising his hands, Clyde completely concentrated on his res. Moving his hands he manipulated it into a better sharper shape, and turned it into a long spike. Moving it faster, he brought it down at the focus, and as it got half way there, transmuted it into lightning.

With a great deafening crash of thunder, there was a flash of yellow light as the lightning streaked down. In a instant it was gone, leave a faint smell of smoke in the air, and steam rising off of the now completed scroll.

Reaching down, Clyde picked it up, and rolled it as a scroll. This one was done, and done well. It should hold for a long time, from the work he had put in on it. Putting it in his pack, he looked over at Bob once more, and spoke with a slight ringing in his ears:

"Well, what do you think? A good bit of impressive magics? That was a good seal, it should hold it in."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 21st, 2011, 4:39 am

The glyph worked and the waterball went into it. "It worked! I thought I would end up with a wet sheet of paper instead." and Bob picked up the parchment looking over it front to back, left to right like a child with a new toy. Then he realized he didn't know how to get the waterball back out. Before he could try anything Clyde called him over to see the the other scroll he was working on.

Bob watched Clyde doing some fancy schmancy movements with his hands which corresponded with the gaseous res, or was it the other way around? Squinting his eyes more to see what happened the sudden flash of lightning and rumbling crackling sound of thunder got to Bob, breathing out hard at a loss for words. As if on instinct remembering the last experience Bob ran towards the stream and jumped inside ducking under the water for a while. But having not much air left in his lungs, Bob struggled to stay inside releasing bubbles which floated to the surface with a "Blub! Blub! Blub!" until he could not take it anymore and stuck his head out again.

Clyde was looking at him with a satisfied look on his face so Bob just acted like everything was alright in hopes to save himself from embarassment. Walking out of the stream in a casual fashion, Bob gave Clyde the thumbs up before heading back to pick his scroll. It read "Water" all over and Bob smacked his head realizing his error, he forgot to put in the trigger. In a few futile attempts to get the waterball out, Bob shook the scroll towards the ground thinking that the waterball would come out but since it didn't Bob looked back at Clyde and asked "So are we going to start another one?" and hid the scroll behind his back.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 21st, 2011, 2:18 pm

Looking over Bob's scroll, he smiled at it.

"Well yes, you did well, but there is no telling how long it will hold. It could go off at any moment. "

For some odd reason Bob had jumped into the creek nearby, which was not really a good thing to do around lightning. Water tended to make lightning attacks stronger, and to draw them to you, not help protect them.

"Well anyways, just remember to properly point your scroll before sending the water ball out. It goes out the same way it went in, so you must point the focus away from you and towards your target when releasing it."

"You may want to just go ahead and release yours, so it does not go off unexpectedly. And yes, I think we have enough time to make another. The first one went so well."

Taking out another piece of parchment, and his quill and ink, he prepared to make a second scroll. He made it similar to the first, the focus drawn large and solid, with words of power. And his barrier he made similar to the other, though adding words of 'unity' to the mix of the barrier.

Just to try to get the words to mesh together a bit better. Looking over, he checked to see how Bob was doing with his scroll, before he began to extrude res once more.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 21st, 2011, 5:44 pm

Go off at any moment?!? Hearing that Bob quickly took back the scroll from behind him where it was hidden. Clyde must have really meant it when he said that he needed to release it so Bob looked at the scroll again front to back, left to right but not like a child with a new toy rather a man with an extremely dangerous magical item. He'd seen those before and the effects were not pretty. To calm his nerves down he started talking about it whether Clyde wanted to listen or not.

"You know...there was a guy who came into my Uncle's practice once. Three other men had to help to bring him in. One to carry the guy by the legs, another to carry the arms and the last to hold the other two's noses. Don't ask me how the third did not need to hold his nose, no one wanted to tell me that." Bob held his breath as though the event was happening there and then as he tried to shake out the waterball again like he did earlier. "Why did they need to hold their noses? The man was playing with a flask of alchemist fire. I didn't see anything wrong with him but anyone can tell with the smell. Burnt flesh is extremely repugnant..." Bob took out the scroll to face him again, going through the steps he used to make it. The focus, barriers and where is the damned trigger? "Then I saw it, the man's face all scarred and ugly when he turned around on the operating table. I was still a boy then so I ran out. I heard the next day that the burns were so serious that he didn't make it."

At last! Bob found out the trigger. There was nothing else on the glyph besides the focus and the barriers so Bob read out the only other words, "Water comes out from here!" Too bad the glyph was still facing him so the waterball popped out and splashed all over his face. If he was not already wet from the stream, he is definitely wet now. He put the palm on his face and brushed the water out in frustration before continuing to take another parchment to try another glyph.

Bob started with a circle again for the focus before continuing with the barriers. Still with the repulsive images of the previous symbols he used for barriers in mind Bob choose to use different pictures. Instead of suits he decided to use the high cards but since the pictures were more complicated, the glyph looked as horrible as the previous one. If only Bob could have seen it earlier.

He started with drawing the lowest, the Page and Bob drew it out as a stickman. Then Bob continued with the Queen ending up with another stickman...With the two looking the same Bob tweaked it a little, putting a horizontal line in between the legs so it would end up a skirt for a stick(wo)man. For the Knight, Bob drew...you guessed it. Another stickman. By then it was too late to make a new glyph since it took Bob some time to make "nice" looking stickpeople. Tapping the quill on his chin which tickled him a little bit while thinking of what to do, Bob decided to put a circle and a cross on the Knight stickman's hands for swords and shields, the tools of a knight. Bob sighed a sigh of relief and satisfaction since the last one was a tree which Bob drew as a circle on the top and a long line at the bottom.

Now for the troublesome task of thinking up a trigger. Bob did not want to use the same one as he did earlier. Since he told the story about scary magical items to Clyde earlier he decided to link the trigger to it. Bob wrote out the words "Fire is scary, water is not" and decided it would be good enough to be a trigger for his water reimancy.

Now that he was done with the glyph Bob was prepared to relax for a while. But with the job off his mind it started to think about other things, like how cold he was in the winter with wet clothes. Bob had to dry himself up so he started to focus some res in his palms again, this time instead of the gel he normally uses he tried using it in its gaseous form. With the gas res in front of his palm he started to will the gas around his body especially the wet parts starting from the head. The gas started to move towards the head and Bob moved downwards as it attracted the water towards it, doing its job to get rid of the water on Bob.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next