[Kabrin Road] The Wind That Buffets the Flame (Ethan)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 12th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Kendall's eyes widened slightly when Ethan called him by his middle name. He was not expecting to hear that name being spoken to him, specially in the form he was in. A small giggle bubbled from his throat before he spoke up. "It is unsafe to try and look at the auras of Gods… not saying I am a God of course. It's just, some on Ivak's power is in this mark and trying to read the aura of it might hurt you." His fingers moved over the mark as a small content smile glowed on his lips. Although a mark could not be considered a possession since it was more of a divine decoration on the body, in lack of a better word, Kendall would have called it his most prized possession. Material possessions had lost a lot of their luster for him, especially after losing so much of it when he left Zeltiva. What mattered to him was his connection to Ivak and of course, the people who were now becoming such a huge part of his life.

"I have to say, I've never prayed naked but… if that is what feels right to you then I cannot judge." Kendall smiled warmly at Ethan, hoping he was conveying a slight joking tone, if any. "I'm a bit uncomfortable with nudity but your prayers are also not my own."

Closing his eyes, Kendall held his hands out in front of him. He worked on calming his mind, going through his own form of meditation. He let the fire rage through his mind as he slowly breathed in and out. As this was happening he slowly released his Res, letting it float above his palms. He let the fire in his mind burn away all of his worries and negative thoughts. If he was going to pray, he would not muddy up Ivak's time with his trivial worries.

When his mind was clear, Kendall's eyes slowly opened. His eyes looked almost sleepy as he pulled himself out of his meditation. "A good way to start out with prayer is with meditation." His eyes turned down to look at the Res over his hands. He smiled lightly as it ignited, sending a small glow over his palms. "You know how to meditate right?" Kendall assumed that the Kelvic did. He was a close friend of Hadrian and a fellow reimancer. "If you don't, I can try to teach you. It is a very subjective skill of course. Everyone meditates differently." The heat of the flame seemed to ignite Kendall's body temperature. Every time the blond worked with his flames it did this. Azenth were one with their fire in mind, body, and soul.

"I'm not sure if I am the best at praying but it still feels good to try to show the Gods that I am thankful." Kendall's flame seemed to dance over his palm. "I usually will just watch my flames or light something on fire and watch the aura. That in itself is more mediation I think but I feel like it helps me pray since I am understanding the fire better that Ivak made."
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ethan on September 17th, 2011, 4:21 am

Ethan laughed and smiled as Kendall played along with his joke. He was relieved the blond could relax and play. It showed stability and that she was coming down from her emotional fit. He was glad he had some small role in helping her out.

As Kendall started to pray. Or what looked like praying; closing his eyes and breathing slowly. Ethan tried imitating his behavior. Crossing his legs and holding his hands out. Trying to get calm and comfortable. He was about to close his eyes. When he noticed the Res pour out of Kendall's hands. He perked up. Curiosity fluttered through his mind. It was a beautiful color and he loved seeing the soul in solid form. Whenever he saw others Res. He always tried to figure out a little more about it. To better understand the person.

Kendall's soul mist was a purplish blue. A very gorgeous color for a very handsome man. It looked like smashed blue berries, but lighter, as if it were mixed with water. He wondered why the colors changed with the person and if it meant anything about the person. Like Auristics. He wanted to sense the Res, but Kendall began to speak. Interrupting his locomotive of ingenuity.

"A good way to start out with prayer is with meditation." The blond said, as he lit the Res aflame. Smiling all the while. Ethan could tell the flames held a symbolic and soothing property. He felt the same way with wind. Often, when he couldn't sleep. He would practice his Reimancy. Letting the wind flow through his hair.

"You know how to meditate right?" Said Kendall, tearing his focus away from the flames engulfing the light purple Res. Ethan had a little more trouble prying his eyes away than the blond. Kendall went on to offer to teach him meditation but he could manage on his own. The principle was simple enough.

"I usually will just watch my flames or light something on fire and watch the aura. That in itself is more mediation I think but I feel like it helps me pray since I am understanding the fire better that Ivak made." The blond said. Gazing into the flames. It was a beautiful idea and one Ethan liked. Using the wind and fire that the gods created to show tribute. It made more sense that sitting or singing songs.

”I couldn't agree with you more Kendall. Using Res sounds a lot better to me, but I celebrate different gods and have different forms. Since we are in the forest I say we make a bon fire. For your prayers to Ivak. Let me get the wood.” Ethan smiled and lifted to his feet. Holding the bush to cover himself. ”Use this til I get more.” He handed Kendall the shrubbery and held a hand to cover his cold pink worm.

Ethan took a deep breath and said a quiet prayer to Caiyha and Eywaat. He let go of his human form. And felt the sharp light swarm about him. The world quickly shrank before him. Until he was nothing more than a Lammergeier. Even though his height was decimated from his human form. He still felt strong and proud. He was a bearded eagle, and could soar where lesser creatures would never go. He could drop bones from a thousand feet and shatter them on stones, with deft accuracy. He had picked Hawks from the sky and did things no other Lammergeier could dream of.

Ethan gave a soft caw and clacked his beak. He knew it was nothing but gibberish to the human, but it served as a “I will be back shortly, don't burn down my forest.” He lifted off on huge black wings and flew away. Leaving behind blood orange feathers.

The large Eagle came back and forth. Each time with a dead branch or bundle of sticks in its talons. Dropping it into a small pile. Each time with a friendly Caw. He continued this until there was enough wood for a decent bon fire. It wasn't an easy task to carry the wood back and forth. So the Lammergeier rested near his friend. Folding into himself and turning into the large mismatched ball of fluff.
Ethan
"If you need help, look up"

Words: 286041
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2011, 9:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 17th, 2011, 5:06 am

Kendall smiled awkwardly as his friend dropped his shrubbery in front of him. "Thanks." He chuckled slightly as he looked down at the bit of plant. It was not much but once it was on fire it was just kindling. It did not matter where it once was.

Mismatched eyes watched as Ethan shifted. Kendall was not sure if the kelvic preferred privacy when he changed into his avian form but the blond was curious. He had seen Cathan shift but he wondered if it was different for different animals. The whole thought about Kelvics was every interesting to him. To think there were creatures who had the magic of morphing in their blood. Maybe it was just because Kendall was so new to the ideals of magic but he found the who idea of it so fascinating.

Once Ethan had departed, Kendall began to search for stones. It was important to line fire pits with stone in case they started to spread. Closing his hand around the flames, Kendall let the fire fizzle out against his skin. He did not want to try and juggle his fire along with his search for stones.

When Ethan would drop in with a branch or twig Kendall would smile or nod, at his contribution. A couple of times he would mutter a thanks but he would be sure to thank Ethan when the pair were sitting together.

After Kendall had gathered the stones and lined them in a tight circle he started to set up the kindling. He stacked them in a teepee form with all of the sticks pointing up and leaning into each other. Under the teepee of kindling was a pile of dead leaves. When Ethan finally settled at Kendall's side they would be ready to start the fire.

"Thank you for helping Ethan. Making a fire is a lot easier with someone helping." Once again Kendall released his Res, letting it ignite over his palms. "Someday I really should just light bonfires like everyone else does. I feel like I am sort of cheating. I like to think Ivak appreciates that I am using the fire I have created from my Res though." He smiled lightly as he let the flame float down onto the kindling. "You know, since it comes from me." He smiled brightly as he watched the fire slowly gain vigor. He glanced quickly over at Ethan who seemed to be fluffed up in a ball of feathers. He worried that the fire might scare him. It some times frightened Cathan. "If the fire scares you just give me a sign." Hesitantly, Kendall reached over to pet the feathers on Ethan's head. He was not sure if the kelvic would want him to but he wanted to let Ethan know that he did not mean him any harm if the fire did in fact scare him.

Sitting before the bonfire, Kendall held his hands out over the flames, letting it warm his fingers and in turn his entire body. If Ethan was to touch his skin now he would have been surprised to feel that the blond was much warmer than he had been before. "Thank you for your fire Ivak. Thank you for letting me feel it's embrace without harm. Most of all, thank you for leading me to meet people who accept me, regardless of who I am or who I worship."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ethan on September 23rd, 2011, 7:27 am

Ethan loved being touched as a bird. Something about it was more affectionate, more primal. The feel of someone's hands against his feathers was sensual almost. He also felt vulnerable because of his size, but it was incredible to have that kind of trust with another person. Hadrian and Kendall were the only people so far he could trust like that, and any affection was appreciated. Even if it rang hollow. Coming from people who, did not love him so.

Kendall started to pray. Thanking Ivak for his fire and guiding him to those that were accepting and kind. It was a nice prayer, and Ethan could use it as an example for his own devotions. Although he was not sure, if the gods could hear him as a bird. He was just speaking in a different tongue? No different than someone speaking a different language.

Although... Avian was a tricky thing to understand. It eluded Ethan when he tried to figure out what it was. Or if it was even a language. Or just something all winged things, understood instinctively? Whatever it was, that curiosity could wait for a less pious time.

Ethan got up and started hobbling away from Kendall, around the fire. And spoke in his ancient tongue. Caiyha goddess of all creatures. I thank you for keeping my wings sturdy and my beak strong. My kind would be nothing if it wasn't for our other halves. So I give you thanks.

Eywaat. For the skill and strength you bestowed upon me and my winged brethren. I give thanks. Without your genius, birds would of never been. And the skies, empty
Unfurling large black and brown wings. He pushed them forward billowing the fire. Gently, so he wouldn't knock it down. He shrilled and cawed his next prayer.

”Ivak, I have a humble knowledge of you, but I thank you for the flames that have kept me warm, cooked my food, and called out into the night, to help me find my way back to my friends. But most of all I thank you for guiding Kendall into my life once more. May she always be full and loved.” Ethan thought for a moment about the importance of gods. If they did really play such a role, they deserved reverence for their service.

Ethan looked at Kendall for a second before his next prayer. ”Zulrav, You are the air I breathe and the wind I soar upon. You have given me the gift of flight. And for that I cannot praise you enough.” Ethan took in a sharp breath and clacked his beak. A little nervous for praying to the god who had given him everything. He stopped billowing the flames and folded his wings. And let a thin stream of Res pour out of his feathered chest. The blood orange plumage made for a beautiful contrast to bright golden mist.

Slowly, he started to pour the Res into the fire, Waiting until it was deep into the flames. Before commanding it. To draw in the air and intensify the flames. Again, the bird looked at the blond. For a moment, the only sounds were the spitting and crackle of the bonfire ”Wind and fire go hand in hand. Together they can accomplish great or terrible things. May we always be brothers... You will never hear this prayer, because you are a stupid Human. But I love you all the same.” Ethan cackled in his own bird like way. And made his way back to his brother's side. Letting the Res dissipate in the flames.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 23rd, 2011, 4:42 pm

Kendall watched Ethan as he walked around the fire, flap his wings, and chirp in his bird language. It was interesting to watch. His prayer seemed almost tribal due to the way he seemed to dance around the flames and caw out what Kendall could only assume were prayers. The blonde wished he knew what the kelvic was saying but instead he just sat there watching Ethan and the flames in front of him.

Since Kendall could not understand Ethan, he took to watching his aura. It seemed to be bright and alive as the bird sang his praises to the divine. He did not want to watch for too long. He worried about using his Djed too much at times. He let his auristic vision recede and closed his eyes in an attempt to meditate. If Ethan was going to pray, he might as well make good use of his time.

The Azenth breathed in and out slowly as he let his mind calm. He listened to the crackle of the fire as he let himself relax. He imagined all of his discomfort and nervousness concentrating into a wave, or more so, an expanse of water. He imagined it filling his body from his toes all the way up to the top of his head. What he needed to do now was to push that water filled with his emotion down through his body. Not to suppress it but to make it move out of his body and into the ground, at least in a mental sense.

In his mind he pictured the water lowering. Fading up and down like a tide. Soon it had dropped below his chin, then his ribs, and so forth until the last of the emotion tide had washed out of the soles of his feet and into the dirt below. He felt more calm and refreshed. When his eyes fluttered open he saw Ethan looking back at him. Even as the bird spoke up, Kendall had no clue what he was saying. "Not know what you say." Kendall did not know a lot of Vani but Ethan would not know what he was saying regardless. He grinned at the bird, a bit of playful pride in his expression. Kendall could speak in a language Ethan didn't know as well.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ethan on October 10th, 2011, 6:39 am

Even though it was his first time, it felt good to pray. Gave the Kelvic a little purpose. With Zulrav and Eywaat, now in his life. He had something to focus on. Someone to dedicate his time to and show thanks. Perhaps he didn't need a Master or companions after all? Gods were surely less fickle than men. And even if they were, they at least didn't die. Or did they? Ethan thought about changing back to ask some more questions about gods. When Kendall spoke in another language.

What tongue was that? It sounded so pleasant, almost perky. Was it from Zelvita? He never remembered Kendall speaking anything but common. Was it from Hadrian then? Wasn't he human? Just a plain human. Perhaps it was some ancient language of Djed? His teacher often told him of languages lost before the Valterrian. Although that seemed unlikely, he had heard this sound before. One of the port cities he frequented as a child perhaps.

Gods and prayer forgotten. Ethan hopped and flapped towards his friend. Chirping curiously all the while. When he was near the man's lap he cocked his head. It would be a pain to change back just to ask a question. Hopefully Kendall was brilliant enough to see his body language and start talking. Curiosity was serious business with Ethan. Learning wasn't a priority, it was an obsession.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on October 12th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Kendall giggled lightly as he looked at his avian friend. So the bird man didn't know Vani. The blond felt a small swell of pride at the fact Ethan did not know it. It was more playful pride than an actual pride about knowing more than the kelvic. Ethan could chirp and Kendall would speak Vani. Between the two, they could both speak behind each other's back if they wanted.

The blond ran his hand over the bird's feathers as he spoke. "It's Vani if you are wondering. It is the language of the Vantha." He was not sure if it was a good idea to keep speaking in the Talderian tongue. Kay'lan had been the one to teach him Vani but if one really thought about it, why shouldn't he work at the language? It would only help them in the long run, especially if they were heading to Avanthal. Having someone in the group who knew the native tongue would be more than helpful. "See, we both know languages that the other doesn't understand." He grinned at Ethan slyly. He hoped that the bird would know his pestering was all out of friendship. "I really need to practice the language more if we are going up into the everwinter city. I'll be the translator of the group." He found the whole thought of that exciting. He liked to be needed.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ethan on November 28th, 2011, 6:26 am

Ethan stopped cawing curiously when Kendall spoke. So it was Vantha... a fitting language for where they where going. Perhaps the little Vantha boy taught it to her before Hadrian and him came along. The idea was a little aggravating to say the least. If she/he remembered the language from her former lover. Thoughts and memories might be stirred as they where with sights, sounds or smells. The mind formed a lot of interconnections naturally. he/she could be thinking about him right now... Kendall reassured him about his feelings towards the ex lover but humans lied and Kendall was no different. His whole race practically lived off deceit and manipulation of others. You only had to look at Sunberth and Ravok.

For the sake of curiosity and Hadrian, he opened his Auristic senses and the world went black. Leaving only him and the Aura he was concentrating on. Spying on the feelings of his friends and companions had become a common practice on this trip. Ethan was starting to get quite good. The colors of the Aura, whomever it was. Didn't matter anymore to him. He used Touch and feeling to learn about his subject. Sight was obsolete now. The Mist of Kendall's Soul splashed against his feathered face with each word and heartbeat. Once it over whelmed him but he was learning to calm himself and take the information one piece at a time.

As Kendall continued to speak, the only emotional feeling he got was excitement. A small crackling in his chest, but unlike Kendall he had no idea where it was coming from. More or less it showed he wasn't hung up on someone else. There was no guilt or shame squirming around. So with suspicions quelled and curiosity slated. Ethan nuzzled up closer and urged him to continue with a series of caws and chirps.

And there they sat for a large part of the night. Fire crackling next to them and the moon hanging overhead. They talked and chirped about Avanthal and the events to come. And for Ethan it was one of those strange times with a human he actually felt at ease.

The End
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on December 12th, 2011, 2:15 am

Kendall :
Kendall

Skill XP Reward
Meditation +2
Reimancy +1
Intimidation +1
Interrogation +1
Philosophy +1
Auristics +3
Teaching +1
Wilderness Survival +1

Lore: Painful Memories, We Aren't So Different

Other: N/A

Ethan :
Ethan

Skill XP Reward
Meditation +1
Observation +1
Intimidation +1
Rhetoric +2
Seduction +1
Wilderness Survival +1
Auristics +2
Reimancy +2

Lore: The Truth About Kendall, Can God's Hear Birds?, Godly Knowledge (basic)

Other: N/A

Fantastical thread guys, and I learnt so much about your backstories, thank you - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous