The other side of the Maw [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 12th, 2011, 2:18 am

"Yes, the mighty lord Ionu is indeed the heart of Alvadas. Ionu produces the blood that keeps the city alive. That's why it isn't dead and stale like the other cities. Alvadas is restless, and enjoys to show off for newcomers. Actually, that might be why we've passed through so many lovely sites while we stalked our friend here." Alric patted Zevlin on the back. An Inarta was much less likely to harm people for physical contact...usually. "Why, if I remember, we saw the same lovely garden twice didn't we? I actually stopped to enjoy it the second time. I was afraid I might lose Zevlin at first, but to my luck he came back aroun-"

"If you don't touch me, I'll go with you."

Alric didn't even bother to hide his sigh of relief. Alanys seemed like a rather agreeable member of her race. He knew for a fact if she really wanted to harm Zevlin, nothing he could do would stop her. He put his hand to his chest as he did so, and shook his head in an agreeable manner.

"Well, then. Let us go and not seek Ionu's temple then, shall we?"

Alric started walking down a path on his left. He didn't bother looking behind him, assuming that the two newcomers would want to follow the man who had lived in Alvadas. He knew Alanys was new due to her unfamiliarity with Ionu. No one who lived in Alvadas would have asked that question. He kept his smile plastered on his face in a show of genuine mirth. A potentially dangerous situation, involving assassination and murder, had come out to show three very different people become traveling companions. It seemed the illusions of Ionu were not limited to buildings.

Secret :
OOC: great! I'll let one of you decide when we arrive. Until you guys decide I'll just roleplay us wandering.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Zevlin on September 12th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Zevlin hadn't really meant to offend the pale woman by placing his hand on her, but he could tell from the way she tensed under his touch that it was not a welcomed contact. That fact became even more apparent when she only agreed to go if he didn't touch her. Zevlin didn't miss a beat, removing harm from around her, coming back to stand between Alric and Alanys. "Alright, I won't touch." he promised, his smile never faltering.

His ignorance of others made the Inarta brave, not really understanding why Alric looked so relieved. Had something happened that he hadn't seen? Whatever it had been, everything seemed to be running smoothly again. With a lightness in his step, the red head followed after the local, letting him take lead. With his luck they would have walked in circles had he continued.

Keeping up with Alric wasn't too difficult, even with his attention wandering to every brightly colored home and building. One caught his attention just by how much everyone seemed to be avoiding it. Zevlin didn't know, but he was looking up at the House of Mirrors. "Why do they fear this place?" he asked to Alric, halting their pace for the moment.
Zevlin
Player

Words: 15604
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Alanys Hyacinth on September 12th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Alanys couldn’t help speaking out at Alric’s description of Ionu. It just sounded so... demeaning. It was like he was saying Ionu was a great and powerful god! How could such a stupid Human believe that! What did Ionu do, what did he own why he would be better than Viratas? And then he had the nerve to call other cities dead and stale! Kalinor, for a fact, was neither! There was no city as lovely, nor as soft and quiet, as the gossamer city of silk! Alvadas was a fen in comparison. It’s only interesting feature was its shifting nature and even that grew stale for her!

”There is no God as great as Viratas.” She said frostily to the Human, her garnet eyes narrowing in on his eyes. She disliked that he was taller than her, but there was little she could do to remedy that. ”Viratas is blood. Ionu cannot be credited for bringing life to anything when it is Viratas Himself that pumps life through the bodies of all living things. Ionu is more like a child given a city to play with. Kalinor is also, by no means, stale and dead. Do not insult my home until you have good reason to, because this city is a frustrating swamp in comparison.”

Alanys had honestly not expected frustration and annoyance to come out so suddenly. Usually kept cool and collected... but she supposed her current annoyance could be credited to the Human that had brought her down here by playing with her mind somehow and the other Human that had used the word ‘love’ upon seeing her and had afterwards put his hand on her as though they were friends.

She was beginning to wonder if she could stand making friends with Humans.

As Alric then started off, followed by the Inarta, Alanys considered taking to the rooftops again to avoid being crushed by the heavy feet of the Humans and other assorted mongrels walking back and forth around her. However, she decided against it because she was not guaranteed to be able to find her companions again in the city. Instead, she followed close behind the Inarta, using his body as a buffer against the bodies of others who may not be able to see her. When he stopped, she very nearly ran into his back but managed to halt herself.

Taking a safe step back, she turned and looked at the building he had spoken of to Alric. It looked fine, in all honesty, and she didn’t understand why Humans would be avoiding it.

”Do Ghosts live in this house?” She asked quietly of the one who seemed so knowledgeable about Alvadas and its ways.
Alanys Hyacinth
The Dancer of Webs

Words: 29885
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2011, 5:26 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 12th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Alric had not expected to anger Alanys by his remark. However, he couldn't help but feel... elated. At first he was rather set on keeping everyone happy. But his smile just widened, he wanted sooo desperately to correct her views on Ionu. Could he do it without offending? Probably not, and it wasn't as if Ionu (or Viratas for that matter) needed defending. Still, it might be a nice little attempt on his part to bring his ideas into others.

Alric shook his head, that had proved disastrous in the past. But, well maybe he could just explain his position? He didn't have to convince her he was right. He just needed her to understand his viewpoint. After all, everyone wanted to understand didn't they?

"Oh? Perhaps there aren't any gods greater than Viratas. But surely there are those just as great? And why can't Ionu bring life to something? After all, if Viratas only gives life to those with blood, then who gives life to that which has no blood? And comparing Alvadas to a toy is laughable. Although, a swamp does seem to fit Alvadas's personality. Yes, actually I think that's perfect! Alvadas is like a swamp! A beautifully breathing constantly changing swamp!

You have a knack for this, Alanys. Maybe I was wrong, perhaps other cities aren't dead, just...content? I'm terribly sorry, I spoke out of ignorance. Its just that the only non-moving things I know are dead, so I assumed that was the case for all things. I've never read about Kalinor though, never heard about it either... Perhaps you can tell me more about it then? Allow me to understand your point of view by letting my know your city? Come to think of it, perhaps I don't know Viratas very well either. Maybe I don't quite understand him correctly? If you could teach me, I'll do my best to correct my understanding."

Alric kept a smile, thinking he was being considerate. After all, understanding was the drive behind all peoples wasn't it? And he was willing to learn whatever she wanted to teach.

"Why do they fear this place?" he asked to Alric, halting their pace for the moment.

Alric stopped his walk and turned to see which place Zevlin was talking about. His smile, which he thought was going to stay with him all day to day, decided that this would be a good time to leave. Alric hoped that it would decided to visit throughout the day. The building was in disarray, no one took care of it. The only reason it hadn't fallen apart, as far as Alric had guessed, was that Ionu was keeping it alive.

”Do Ghosts live in this house?”

Alric shook his head. "No, no Ghosts. The house isn't accommodating to us thinking beings. It is called the House of Broken Mirrors. There aren't any broken mirrors though, the name is a bit of a misnomer. It should be called the House of Broken Minds but nobody seemed to care to change the name when I asked them." Alric gave a big sigh, "The reason no one looks at it, Zevlin, is because its a rumor here in Alvadas that the House lures you in with Sweet Whispers. Its all bullocks though. Newcomers to Alvadas often visit the House just like you two want to visit the sacred Temple of Ionu. But the House of Broken Mirrors is no tourist attraction. It was not meant for entertainment, although I did find it entertaining. It is a place where your mind is unfolded and dissected. The Mirrors are a really nasty lot though, they try to cloud your senses with fear when all you're trying to do is examine your mind! They aren't very nice, so be careful if you decide to go."
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zevlin on September 14th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Zevlin let his eyes wander over the dismal building, taking in it's downtrodden appearance. The house had obviously seen better days, the doors and windows looking as though they might fall off at the slightest touch, though he was sure that the building was sturdier that it appeared. Well, hopefully, because now that Zevlin was interested in the building, he knew that eventually he would come back and go inside to check it out. How could he not, with the idea of mystery and ghosts surrounding the place? Even though he doubted ghosts actually lived in the building.

Though the way Alric's smile fell when he saw the building, Zevlin wondered if maybe Alanys had been right with her assumption. Thankfully, Alric dismissed the thought, going into great detail of what the building was. The Inarta had noticed the human seemingly loved to talk a great deal about everything. Which wasn't always so bad, but sometimes Zevlin lost the point of his ramblings when trying to understand everything he said. Something about mirrors? Broken mirrors? Broken Minds?

Not really wanting to rack his brain trying to understand everything the man said, Zevlin just faked enthusiasm and intrigue. Well, it wasn't really faked, he was truly interested. Just not in what Alric had said. "I see...Well, I'm sure I can find it later." He spoke lightly, turning his attention away from the House of Morrors. "We go?"
Zevlin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 17th, 2011, 12:27 am

Alric gave a brief glance to Alanys, she remained silent. Well, if both she and Zevlin did not want to go inside, he would hardly force them. He continued his pace, and greeted several familiar faces. None of them greeted him back, of course. However, that hardly dampened his spirit. No, he was far too blessed to let something as commonplace as rudeness get in his way.

Although, he wasn't quite certain who he was to thank. Should he thank Ionu for presenting him with a Symenos that did not want to kill him? Or should he thank Eyris for granting him the opportunity to learn about both Inarta and the Symenos? Or should he thank Alvadas itself for bringing them together in the first place?

He decided to offer them all a quick prayer. After all, it was better safe than sorry right?

After his silent prayer, he began to notice his two companion's silence. He did not want this opportunity to go to waste. So, why not further his understanding past first impressions? He'd ask Zevlin about his life, his home, his people. And then, when he was done, he'd ask Alanys. By the time they were done, Alvadas would likely grow tired of its little game of hide and seek, and they would find the Temple quickly.

"Say, Zevlin," Alric said. "What is it like being an Inarta?"

As Alric asked this, he decided to 'encourage' Zevlin to go in depth. He sent a suggestion his way.
Be as detailed as you can
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alanys Hyacinth on September 17th, 2011, 3:52 am

Despite Alric's curiousity, he didn't seem inclined to wait for an answer, or any explanation of any sort, and instead turned his back on this most fascinating place. Such an impatient azo, the Human was. He seemed to be able to chatter away about nonsense without stop, but as soon as he asked a question of someone else he lost interest in the reply close to immediately.

Frustrating creatures, Humans were.

They continued on, but she lingered for some few moments, her eyes large and observant as she looked at the Broken Mirror House. What would that feel like, to have something scour your brain and try its best to frighten you? Did she even have fears? Well, fears other than the uncertainty of wanting to die under a clumsy Human's foot?

She shrugged and turned, catching sight of her two companions and running to catch up. Running was such an ungraceful act, but it was useful when you wanted to rejoin a group. A few Humans, one or two Akalak, and a particularly foul looking Isur grouched as Alanys slipped by them, bumping into a few. Running into an Akalak was nothing compared to running into an Isur, she soon found out. The stout little midgets were particularly stone-like.

A bruise undoubtly forming on her left shoulder was her reward for meeting up with the Human and Inarta in good fashion, apparently before either noticed her absence. Maybe she had been forgotten?

Perhaps she should consider biting the Human to get his attention.

Her plan was forgotten as he inquired about the Inarta and what it was like to be one. Was that not the stupidest question ever? Did a cow ask the bird on it's shoulder what it was like to be a bird and get anything different from "It's like being a cow"? Being an Inarta was perhaps no different from being a Human or a Symenestra, minus the fact that Humans and Inarta didn't need to protect their brittle bodies from even tripping (or running into midgets). Being an Inarta was probably the only thing Zevlin had ever been. How should he compare that to tell a Human what that was like?

Stupid Human.

All the same, she remained silent to listen to the Inarta's reply.
Alanys Hyacinth
The Dancer of Webs

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Zevlin on September 19th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Zevlin had let his thoughts wander in the silence that had fallen over their group, paying attention only enough to keep up with Alric as the man led them around the city. The man only stopped once when he caught sight of the bizarre, with it's colors and cultures all screaming for attention. It was a sea of people and goods, and the Inarta made a quick mental note that he would take a look before he left. An amused smile touched his lips; with everything he had promised himself to see in the city, he might never leave Alvadas. That would put a bit of a dent in his travel plans.

It took a few moment for his mind to register that Alric had spoken, and a moment longer to realize what he had been asked. What was it like to be an Inarta? Well, it seemed like a simple enough question, but where was he to start? There was so much that went with the Inarta society, he hadn't a clue what to tell first. Did he start with the Endel? Or maybe he should explain the caste system first? That would be as good a place as any.

"Well, the large differences between here and Wind Reach is how the people treat each other. Inarta have a very strict way of how people treat one another. The...the system starts with th Endal, eagle riders and hunters. They are at the top, most important. No one can refuse them anything. The only pair higher are the Tavinal, oldest riders and eagles still able to work. Beneath them are the Avora, the artists and those who do trade work and art. They are also not refused anything, but they must answer to the Endal. One level lower are the commoners, boring, not really important. And then there's the Yasi, the youths, and then drudges."

A scowl crossed the red head's face. "Drudges are like slave labour. They work long hours for little to no pay. They have no given homes of there own. There are very few who enjoy being Drudge. They have little rights." He gestured to the city around them. "Everyone is equal here. It's unique. Anyone can become a higher class if they work at it."
Zevlin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 20th, 2011, 12:19 am

Alric listened fully to Zevlin's wonderful explanation. It was actually very insightful. He had heard of a caste system before, but had never quite understood what it meant or who was higher than who. However, the whole concept seemed so alien to him. How did you stop a commoner from becoming a painter? It seemed impossible. Nay, it seemed impractical. Yet, Zevlin hailed from such a place. Whether this meant that it worked or not was another, unrelated, topic.

While he was quite sure that there was much much more to being an Inarta, Alric had not forgotten that Alanys had yet to speak her mind about the importance of Viratas, which he had asked about just a few minutes ago. He glanced back at her, and found what he more or less expected. She was listening to Zevlin politely, but had quite the scowl on her features.

Deciding he'd hear more about the Inarta later, he asked Alanys his previous question.

"Alanys? I believe you were going to say something about Viratas? But I suppose I didn't give you enough time to respond? I was curious about your assertation that Ionu couldn't bring life to something. After all, if Viratas only gives life to those with blood, then who gives life to that which has no blood? Also, I was quite curious about Kalinor, and how some things are just... content, not dead? I'm sorry for interrupting you, I just get overtly excited sometimes."
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alanys Hyacinth on September 20th, 2011, 5:10 am

The caste system sounded so... alluring. What would society in Kalinor be like if they followed the rules that the Inarta did? Of course, the miserable little meat, surrogates, would dance somewhere between a drudge and something much more important. Following them would be the half-bloods. They were nothing more than Humans in the guises of Symenestra. In the caste, they should be lower than even surrogates, but alas for their foolish mothers and the blood that pumped through half-blood veins. Dirty mongrels, polluting Kalinor's Webs with their Human filth. She was so glad she was a real Symenestra, or there would be no place in the world and no reason to persist in a miserable half-blood's existence.

She forgot separating the society of Kalinor in her revulsion of the littler spider-kin of Kalinor. Her attention returned when Alric addressed her by her first name, as though they were on intimate terms with one another. Humans were meat. They should respect the spiders formerly of Falyndar.

"You are merely a Human, Alric. Your lack of attention is perfectly understandable for your race." Her words were perhaps the most bitter ones she had muttered for some time now. "Kihala gives life to everything that can be described as living, and my God, Viratas, gives blood to everything that needs it to survive. Ionu can only be credited with birthing frustration and insanity in the inhabitants of It's city. Viratas is so much more."

After this, she paused. She wondered how to fully detail Viratas without dropping back into the sly tongue of the Symenestra. She felt the small red book tucked into the wrappings around her pelvic bone and considered whipping it out and quoting from it. Viratas' spoken word would surely teach the Human a lesson. Instead, though, she moved into the topic of Kalinor.

"My home city, Kalinor, is undergorund. It is silent. We have suspended the city above a cavern. Like a spider web, it hangs there in its beauty and awe-inspiring grace. It isn't dead at all, but it is so... content with itself. We have large "cuccoons" of sorts that are our houses, and outsiders like Humans can only enter with the help of a Symenestra because we can do things your kind can't. We have a temple dedicated expressly to Viratas, and in it is a pool of blood we all make offerings into. Alvadas can not ever compete with the silk beauty of my home." A tinge of vanity echoed in her voice. She was proud of her city and her heritage, even though she was saddened that her race no longer inhabited the tall forests of Falyndar. "Anything else?"
Alanys Hyacinth
The Dancer of Webs

Character sheet
Scrapbook

PreviousNext