The other side of the Maw [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Zevlin on September 20th, 2011, 7:10 am

Zevlin tilted his head as Alanys went on in her own monologue of her god. She seemed very passionate about what she believed in. A proper term, as his mentor would say, is a religious fanatic. The Inarta himself had never really been much of a worshiper. Yes he believed they existed, but he didn't dedicate his life to them. There were some things that beliefs just didn't belong in. And the differing beliefs always seemed to cause fights between the people who followed them. It was all too much trouble to be bothered with.

Though when the topic came back to cities and their cultures, his tension released. These were things that held his interest, as it brought to his attention interesting places that he should visit. And with the passion Alanys held for her god, he could only imagine the tales she could spin out of love for her home. Proving his thoughts right, the description the woman painted for them with her words made the image in his mind's eye blossom into a beautiful scene. Dark, mysterious, and ethereal. And nearby~ Well... In the same country, at least.

Though the spin at the end of her explanation left a bit of bitter taste in his mouth. "From the way you explain your city, the two aren't comparable. Not that one or the other is better, they are just two different types of beauty. It's like people; you can put two women beside eachother, and each will have beauties and weaknesses. But no one can deny that both are beautiful. They're just different forms of it." A bright smile came to the man's lips, taking a step towards Alanys, though being very careful not to touch her, as she asked. "So if I would like to visit Kalinor one day, can I ask for your assistance in entering the city?"
Zevlin
Player

Words: 15604
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 20th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Alric kept quiet, but inside he was laughing. She described frustration and insanity as though they were disdainful. Alric personally thought that they just made the rest of life seem more interesting by comparison. He had been observing these two for quite a while, measuring what they said and how they said it. And indeed, he was beginning to think up adequate judgements for these two.

Zevlin, was humble. He was cheerful, and liked to tease. He was likeable. However, there was something more. Something that Alric simply could not grasp at this time.

Alanys, however, was prideful. She was quite infatuated with herself and her home city. Although, Alric would be lying if he said he didn't feel the same way about Alvadas. She seemed ready to fight at any given time, and was easily insulted. This led him to believe that she had a fragile ego. Yet still, just like with Zevlin, he thought there might be something more along the surface.

Alric postponed his judgement. He needed to spend more time with them to understand them completely. What he knew now, was only the surface. To get into the truly meaty part of their personality, he'd need to wait. That hardly bothered him, though. Things hardly ever bothered him. Alric simply wasn't one to get angry or frustrated.

Alric smiled at Zevlin's little speech about beauty, and in his head, Alric started to think a little higher of Zevlin. His belief that, in terms of beauty, one was neither better nor worse, but only different, was strikingly similar to Ionu's own philosophy. Ionu taught that joy came out of the variety of the world. That was why Ionu was a master of illusion. He (or she) could increase, and alter that variety at a whim, allowing his true followers countless moments of joy. Alric, however, decided not to share this with the Symenestra. She did not care for Ionu, and so saw Alvadas as frustrating, and not the joyous place of endless variety that it was. Alric thought that her own frustration and sour attitude were enough punishment as it was. The fact that it was mostly self inflicted? None of his concern.

As he listened to Zevlin's final question, he kept silent so as to hear the Symenestra's response.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Alanys Hyacinth on September 20th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Garnet eyes shimmered with things she dared not voice as Zevlin addressed her on the topic of Kalinor. There was nothing she had seen that could ever compete with her home, even if it lacked the booming population once expected when it was founded. Almost absently, she felt the edge of her fangs. They hadn’t extended yet, and for this she was glad. She was testier when she was hungry, and she didn’t want to have Human in her mouth if she decided to bite someone, no matter how amusing that would be.

”We know the value of beautiful women in Kalinor. We understand it far more than most other cultures, as we also understand the strength of women. I don’t require a lecture to tell me what strength and beauty is.” She supposed, though, that maybe she was biased as was the rest of her kin and the Harvesters undoubtly returning from Notok.

”Humans that come without trade in mind are... frowned upon. In our Webs we protect secrets that a Human or anything with a “conscious” or “morals” would be angry to see. Since you have little knowledge regarding my race, I won’t enlighten you. The Ocha would watch you fiercely, but not to protect you.” She wondered now if he or Alric knew anything about Symenestra. Perhaps not. Ignorance seemed ripe with these two, Alric more so than Zevlin, since Zevlin himself was vapid. ”Bringing an untalented Human into Kalinor would require many things. Getting past the guards at the Woven Gate and then being transported through the streets themselves. I would hardly bother with it.”

Her blood-tinted eyes turned to look at Alric. She could sense his enjoyment out of this, and honestly considered hurting him so talk of religion and cities would not seem so amusing. This only proved to her his ignorance of the importance of her religion, since Ionu Itself was so lax. She’d be very sure to make a decent sacrifice to Viratas in Ionu’s Temple, should they ever arrive.
Alanys Hyacinth
The Dancer of Webs

Words: 29885
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2011, 5:26 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 20th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Alric was not immune to the feeling of loathing being directed towards him, Alanys was obviously detesting his amusement at this conversation of serious subjects. Honestly he didn't know why she was so fixated on its seriousness. Of course, that might be a clue. Alric was hard pressed to take anything serious. Of course that would anger someone who was obsessed with how serious they were!

Alric slapped himself hard on the head, chastising himself for not coming to that realization earlier. His personality was at odds with hers, that was all. She was serious, and so, was easily offended by meager inquiries into subject matter she deemed important, and therefore, everyone should know! It was like when he meet someone who did not even bother to understand things, when he came across someone who was unwilling to learn.

Still, even though his understanding was increasing, he was eager to get to the Temple. They had yet to stumble across it. This could mean two things. One, Alvadas was still having fun playing with them. Or two, it was having fun listening to them. He hoped it wasn't the later, because if it was, it was quite his fault for this extended trip.

Still, as much as that explanation was a possibility, he didn't want to walk in silence. The situation was strange as it was, he didn't want to increase it by having the group spend the remainder of their time in an awkward silence.

"So, Zevlin, Alanys, do you have any questions for me? Do you have any questions you think I can answer? I think its only fitting I answer a few questions for posing my own"

Alric, not wanting to accidentally offend the moody Symenestra further, used a more subtle, yet useful skill of hypnotism. He used an emotional response. It was vague, and not overwhelming in the slightest, but it was there. He sent a feeling of calm and curiosity. It could be crushed, it was not very powerful. But that wasn't really the point. It was a mood setter, just to bring her out of her anger. He debated doing the same to the Inarta, but he honestly did not seem to need it as much as her.

Secret :
OOC: I've changed my mind about the temple guys. Alric will be leaving the group then. But if one of you want to RP in another thread after that just drop me a PM. Okay? =)
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zevlin on September 21st, 2011, 5:17 am

Zevlin flinched back lightly at Alanys' sour and coldness. Really, he had just been stating his thoughts on the matter. Was it necessary to react with such hostility? And here he thought that they were all getting along so well. Was it really so difficult to make friends with those that were of different culture? Though, maybe he hadn't explained it as well as he thought, as the woman's answer didn't really rebut him. He hadn't meant beauty and strength of woman exclusively, it had just been a metaphor. Unfortunately he wasn't really given a chance to explain himself as the woman went into her next point.

Ah.. So he wouldn't really be welcomed in Kalinor. Now that was disappointing, but somewhat understandable with what Alanys had told them. Every culture that treasured themselves would try to keep outsiders out. Still, would it really bother them so much if he went to just observe and learn for a few days? He would stay away from all the places they wouldn't allow him; he believes those to be temples and any source of learning. Well, he'd still try, and if he was turned away, he would find somewhere else interesting to visit. Kalinor could keep it's beauty hidden. He shruged, taking a step back. "Well, I'll still try to see it. After all, you painted such a lovely picture of Kalinor."

His attention drifted away from the woman, finding her hostility and coldness becoming rather boring. If she didn't want to interact with them, why was she here? Alric seemed much more willing to talk, even offering to answer their questions about him. "Oh! I have questions." He said, jumping at the chance. "You've lived in Alvadas since birth? Have you ever travelled outside? Anything interesting to see that you would send us to? You mentioned being a self taught wizard, can you show us?" He sounded like he was babbling, but he didnt really care. He wanted to know more about the man.

OCC: Aw, why the change in heart? And I definitely will.
Zevlin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alanys Hyacinth on September 21st, 2011, 8:08 am

Alanys knew she had alienated both of her companions, and she felt a mixture of enjoyment and loss. It was so frustrating to please anyone while making sure there was nothing to degrade yourself. Perhaps she should explain herself, but she wondered how to introduce anything when the attention of both males had been deflected away from her.

She was at a loss for what to do.

She'd have to try quickly here, as soon as Sir Talks A lot quieted down enough for her to get her bit in. She'd mention the Harvest, perhaps, in order to explain why Zevlin would be watched intently should he try Kalinor, since visitors weren't necessarily dissuaded.

"They would perhaps allow you in under guard." She addressed Zevlin again. Alric tended to overlook her, and so she would repay him for now. "We guard our surrogates from their families. Those women are crucial to our survival, and so we keep outsiders far from them." Now she allowed Alric to take the stage and once again make her presence forgotten. She didn't mind that so much. She had to force herself to understand that to get along well with Humans, she would have to come to some sort of understanding of their mental deficiencies.

Alanys wasn't sure if Alric had mentioned being a self-taught wizard, but now that she knew he could use magic she felt a faint stirring of interest in him. Magic was something she could use in Alvadas. He'd make a good 'friend' to have. His worth was quickly eclipsing Zevlin's.

"What magic do you study?" She asked now.

RAWRNOT AWESOME!!! I'll have to be PMing you to request a thread, then. D:< You make such an interesting person to roleplay with. As does Redhead over here ( : p ). I should PM you both.
Alanys Hyacinth
The Dancer of Webs

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 21st, 2011, 1:58 pm

Alric nearly slapped himself. He had mentioned a wizard hadn't he? In fact he had done so right before Alanys had made her presence known. He hadn't thought he would want or even need to hide it at the time. Although, it seemed like a pretty stupid thing to do in retrospect. Hypnotists lost a good portion of their power when people knew they were hypnotists. They lost even more if their subjects didn't want to be hypnotized. He was afraid that would be the case with the Symenestra. It was really a shame too. He quite believed that she would never have joined the little group if he hadn't coaxed her down off the roofs of Alvadas.

Still, it would be rude to ignore the question, and he staunchly refused to lie. But, maybe he could make a game out of it? make them work for it? It sounded like fun, but he wasn't quite sure if he wanted to risk the Symenestra's patience. Zevlin would more readily be willing to play it, but he wasn't the one he wanted to keep it secret from. He shrugged, and decided he would answer Zevlin's questions in order, and then take his chances. What was the worse that could happen? She could kill him, that was the worst that could happen. He pinched his nose with his index figner and thumb, trying not to think about it. He'd just tell them up front. Who knows? Maybe they wouldn't realize they had been hypnotized.

"Alright, In order. Yes, I have lived in Alvadas since birth. No, I've never been outside the city wall, but I do plan to someday. And I don't have many flashy talents, so I'm afraid I can't show you anything as of now. But I'm sure I'll learn something showy eventually, and I'll make an effort to show it off to you! Does that sound okay?" alric said this in the most legetimate manner possible, despite the fact that the words themselves might denote sarcasm.

"And as for my magic abilities, I did indeed say I was a self-taught wizard. As for what I study, I study hypnotism. It's a subtle art, but I enjoy it so."

OOCWell, if you guys feel that strongly about it. But why don't we all just create a new thread once we get there and continue where we leave off? That way we can get this thread graded. Does that sound okay?
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zevlin on September 21st, 2011, 6:35 pm

Before Alric could answer him, Alanys put in her few words towards him. Zevlin gave her an odd look. Was she trying to...encourage him in his quest to visit Kalinor? And here he had thought she didn't want him anywhere near her home. It seems that woman were just as contradictory and confusing in the outside world as they were in Wind Reach. At least this was a positive change in disposition. "I would not mind that, and I would keep away from all they asked."

He gave Alanys a warm smile, before Alric began to answer his string of questions, bringing his attention back to him. So the man was interested in traveling. Maybe he wouldn't mind traveling with the Inarta; traveling in company seemed so much better than traveling alone. But that all hinged on how soon Alric wanted to leave. Zevlin wasn't going to stay very long in Alvadas. Still, he'd mention it to the man, and if he was interested, all the better.

Then Alric went on to explain his magic talent. Hypnotism? It took him a moment for him to sort out how he felt about that, but he decided that as long as the man didn't abuse his magic, he was fine with it. "Do you think you could hypnotize me to do something?" he asked, tilting his head curiously. While he didn't exactly want to be hypnotized, it would be interesting to see how talented the man was.

OOC: I'm ok with that ^_^
Zevlin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alanys Hyacinth on September 29th, 2011, 4:42 am

She listened to Alric ramble on about this and that, hearing but not paying much attention. She wanted to know something in particular and he would eventually get to the point. Talk of his desire to travel did mix something up inside of her, for she also wished to travel, although maybe not out of Kalea. She was still unsure.

Sarcastic words that didn't have a hint of sarcasm bounced around in Alanys' mind, coaxing a faint smile to brush across her lips. She followed the two Humans still, so she was unsure if any were paying attention to her. It didn't matter. Alric seemed so stressed and that made her curious. Why was he stressed?

And then, finally he said what he studied and she felt the heat of victory that usually followed a particularly difficult recital flow through her body. Hypnotism was his secret, as she had originally suspected since her aunt and cousing were both particularly skilled in the magic. She was not yet now that she had a Human in her grasp she wanted the knowledge. She wanted to know how to use Hypnotism.

"Would you teach me Hypnotism?" She asked Alric quietly. Would he refuse? Most likely. She was starting to decide that they were incompatable with her. Even so, she wouldn't cease trying to get what she wanted from them. Since Alric had divulged the secret to how he had coaxed her down, she didn't require him anymore, except he had stated he studied Hypnosis. She could do so much with Hypnosis.

Zevlin said something about Alric making him do something, and Alanys had to fight to hold down a snicker. She was certain Alric had manipulated Zevlin as well, since he had done her. Still, this could be interesting.

She wasn't paying attention to Alvadas as they passed that familiar garden for the third time.

mewOkies~ I'm sorry, just so you know. @-@ Both for tardiness and for my randomly loud ooc message previously.
Alanys Hyacinth
The Dancer of Webs

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alric Wilmot on September 29th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Alric was most amused. He had expected both of his traveling companions to be quite upset at learning his little secret. Although, his judgement was a bit skewed. He had taken into account the fact that he had hypnotized both of them. However, he had failed to realize that they might be unaware of the fact. Most non-hypnotists did not quite understand that the art was about small influencing bursts. It was hardly mind control. Indeed, the saying 'less is more' most certainly applied to hypnosis.

"Would you teach me Hypnotism?"

Alric fought back a laugh, and did so much more successfully than he expected. Alanys did indeed seem the type to be interested. Or, at least more interested than most when they found out that it wasn't nearly as powerful as the rumors portrayed hypnosis to be.Alric shivered at all the damage that could be done with a Symenestra hypnotist. Yet, Alric would never keep another from pursuing understanding. He didn't quite have the time to teach her hypnosis, not one on one at least. But he did have something that might help.

"Why I'd love too! However, I'm afraid the initiation may take up to 24 hours depending on the person. And I have plans for the rest of the week. So, I'm afraid I will be unable to teach you, personally that is. However," Alric brushed away his cost and reached for a book caught between his belt. It was worn and bound in faded red leather. It had no lettering on it, and was quite in bad shape. He tore the first few pages out. He still had need of the book at the moment. But the first few pages were of no use to him anymore. "I can help you pursue it for yourself. This is the book I used to teach myself.These pages here should help you become competent in hypnosis. It isn't very detailed though, so for the most part you'll have to discover hypnosis's greater and more useful abilities on your own. I apologize, but I am still in need of the rest of it." he said it with a smile, and a small bow.

"Do you think you could hypnotize me to do something?"

Alric eyed Zevlin, and widened his grin. Of course, he could. He had done so just a few minutes ago when he asked the Inarta about his culture. Although, maybe saying he had forced him to say anything was a bit of prideful exaggeration. Alric couldn't really make anyone do what the didn't want to, at some level at least. Of course, the real power of a hypnotist was to make people want what you wanted them to want. Alric, however, was only just learning how to do so.

"Well, no. I'm afraid I can't Zevlin. You see a hypnotist is confined to only give suggestions and pushes. The real power of a hypnotist is subtlety. If someone knows that a hypnotist is hypnotizing them, it severely limits there power. In addition, a hypnotist is completely unable to force someone to do what they wish not to."

Alric left out the small detail that more competent hypnotists could make you want something. He may not lie, but he didn't always tell the full truth either.

OOCSorry Alanys! I wanted to give you the whole book, but I did a solo thread were I pulled it out and started reading, so I couldn't give it all to you because in two days I'd mysteriously have gotten it back. I'm sorry Zevlin! I actually can create trances now... but that was also in another solo thread that's 3 days away from this one. So Alric hasn't learned to use it yet. It felt so wierd, because I've progressed past what Alric is capable of in this thread, but this thread takes place before his progression. So, sorry about that. :/
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets