[Castle Commons]Preparing for the worst(Mok)

Armor at the shops- a definite need

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Antar on September 13th, 2011, 4:35 am

1st of Fall, 511av..

Noth was out today, walking quietly through the Castle Commons towards his destination. He'd recently picked up his wages from the Carver Brothers and was out to do a little preparation... alright a lot of preparation. Getting one arrow through the arm last season was enough to make anyone wonder about the benefits of armor. And for this sole purpose he was out and about today. But he wasn't alone- he'd asked his fellow crimson edge member mok, to come along with to purchase a few things as well. Two-hundred- and ten gold mizas was the limit he gave himself for this little trip. Not a copper more.

The myrian had seemed to be the type to shirk armor at first, but gradually the toils of Sunberth and Noth's continued insistence had brought him to realize that eventually the pair of them, nay all of the CE would one day be wearing targets on their back. Especially if they were to make their move soon to begin taking a part of the city for themselves.

So that was what the day was for... to begin bringing their equipment and measures up to snuff and to prepare for the worst on this first day of Fall. Eyeing the weapon's and armor shop, A knights armory in the distance at the end of the square. Noth nodded to Mok who was slightly to his side as the two made their way through the crowds. He was extra wary of pickpockets now, as he scanned the crowd. Careful to meld into them and move along without any others making a fuss as they moved down the streets through the heavy rains.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Mok on September 13th, 2011, 6:04 am

Amor. The thought of wearing heavier armor wasn’t necessarily sickening to Mok, but it was definitely he frowned upon. My mobility and quickness will be certainly hampered with any type of… of metal… I don’t want to be a Syliran who simply bashes his opponent. No I don’t need some damn armor!

As Antar continued steadily through the crowd, Mok grabbed both the pommel of his sword and his bag of coins. He didn’t care if people knew that he was loaded right now; he didn’t mind fighting anyone that challenged him, especially if they wanted to steal his coin. Grunting, Mok shifted his arm in pursuit to keep up with the slippery Antar, who seemed to weave his way in and out of the crowds. Looking down at his left arm he winced at the fresh scar. On the other hand though, armor was a splendid idea. The idea of being shot with another rusty arrow turned Mok’s brain around. Maybe. Maybe some light armor would be good…only to stop arrows of course.

Suddenly Antar turned to show Mok where the amor shop was located. Trusting Antar’s information, Mok ignored the sign at the door and walked in lightly as not to make much noise. The whole armor shop was completely empty. This was a surprise to the myrian, as he expected the shop to full of people eagle to spend their coin. The shop’s body guard was nowhere to be seen, but the store’s owner was sitting casually at end of the shop.

“Welcome! Feel free to buy whatever you like my friends,” the store owner yelled across the room, not making any attempt to stand up and sell anything to them. This made Mok raise an eyebrow. First no enforcer to guard the goods and secondly the merchant was not trying to sell his wares on a slow day with no costumers. The whole ordeal made the warrior vary uneasy. Slowly, Mok turned to Antar and quietly asked, “Show me what you plan to buy first my friend.”

Red = Myrian
Bold = Common
"If you want some, get some, bad enough, take some,
But watch the sword by my side,
Because it represents me and the motherpetching east side"
-one of Mok's mottos
Mok
The Sunberthian Gangster

Words: 149901
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Antar on September 13th, 2011, 7:00 am

oocAll "haggled" items must be bought at full price on the price list at the end of the haggling."

"Ah The Knight's Armory," Noth said before giving Mok a friendly clasp on the shoulder. A place where the clerks were always nice even if most of the stock wouldn't have been displayed in front of the counter except for the presences of several rather heavily armed guards hidden in alcoves to the sides. They would have been hard to miss usually, but they were there, keeping a sharp eye out for any thieves or pickpockets, not just robbing the store, but robbing their customers. After all, the Armory was known for it's quality goods, a sheer rarity in sunberth's markets.

Looking around at the shelves behind the clerk he pointed towards a small black silk bundle. His eyes spotting one of the things he had wanted to repurchase some time in his life. A set of Night Leather Armor. Asking the clerk to fetch it for him to inspect Noth casually gave it a keen glance over, inspecting it for holes, and wear and tear. Finding none, he asked the clerk how much it was. The clerk said sixty five gold mizas.

Noth's eyebrows rose and he stared at the man who looked utterly bored with his job. In his mind he wondered if the man was trying to get a cut for himself by marking things up above what the smith usually would."My friendly clerk, that is the most atrocious price I've ever heard. I'll give you fifty-five, and not a copper more."
"Sixty -Three, and that's a steal."
Noth looked at him crossly, "My good man, I certainly hope this isn't a steal I don't want any used armor. Fifty Seven."
A weary sigh came over the clerk's face, "I'll meet you at Sixty. Is that good enough?"
"Certainly my good man. Sixty it is." Taking a gander at the smaller items he decided to go for a lowball price to try and get a combination deal. Seeing a weapon harness that fit his requirements, and a set of padded armor stacked up with others of its kind on a back table. He made a quick inquiry to prevent the clerk from fetching the other items and thus wasting a trip."Before you go, my good man. How about that weapon harness I see there and the padded armor? How much would you pay for that."

The clerk as distracted as he was failed to cover his tracks or attempt another ripoff by saying."Ten golds for both, Five apiec-"

The clerk cut himself off as he realized his mistake, but Noth took full advantage of the task and agreed as quickly as he could."Fine, Five separately for both of 'em, the harness and the padded armor, Sixty for the Night Leather. That's..."
Doing the addition in his head was an easy task as he added the two fives together for the ten and then added that to fifty to get sixty. Grouping of such simple arithmetic was always an interesting thing. Fishing Seventy gold mizas out of his bag of gold he placed them on the counter and held them there until the clerk brought back the three items in question. Draping them over one arm, Noth turned to Mok, "The night leather armor is made of silk, not much protection. I suppose it wouldn't do you much good. Perhaps a scale mail might work, but get it with the padded armor I got. The padded sits under another armor to help reduce chaffage and offers some protection against arrows. and would be a nice under the scale. "

Out of the corner of his eye, near the wall Noth saw a back and breast that seemed to be about his size and he quickly pointed it out to the clerk. "My good man, how much for that?"

The clerk stared at him hard. "Fifty two!"
Right away, Noth countered with a counter offer."Forty-Nine."
"Fifty-One."
Noth took a moment, considering things a bit as he looked at the back and breast plates. They were a good choice, fitting mainly over the torso, and would keep a bit of freedom to his movement, but he had a feeling the clerk was still highballing him, "Forty Nine and Fifty Silvers. Final offer."
"No Deal, I can't take less then Fifty."
Thinking that a reasonable price he still put on an act of consideration... "Alright, Fifty it is. Done and Done. Though I'd like to try it on first to see if its the right fit, otherwise I'd take the next size smaller or larger."
"Alright, that's fair. Show me the gold and try it on right here. Once you walk out the store, all sales are final."
Antar showed the clerk the money and then stopped to ask, "Can I try it on first. I know you do run a respectful business here but I don't want to try my hand, this is just a matter of business you know."
"Fine, Petching try it on then but keep the gold coins on the counter, Yar' friend can watch 'em for the moment, but I want to keep 'em in sight too."

With another shelling out of fifty gold , placing it on a stack on the counter. Noth took the back and breast and buckled it around his torso, and moved his arms around. It was a little tight but the steel was still capable of granting the protection and a good fit. Only thing better might be chainmail, but that always seemed to end up a bit on the noisy side. But this piece of armor he knew he should trade in for the size up. Especially if he was wearing the padded armor and night leather underneath it.Calling the clerk for the larger size he found the right one and took the back and breast, levering over to the side of the counter before asking for a final purchase. A rucksack to be exact which was bought for 1 gold miza, no haggling involved.

Turning back towards Mok, Noth sighed as he put all his new goods away, he wasn't done buying yet, as he had a special item in mind he'd heard in stock here but for now he was content with things as they were while Mok began the necessity of learning to shop in Sunberth, "Rule Number one , Mok. Never give the money up front before the items in your reach or hands. It's your turn, to take a look. I picked an armor , a breast and back, a weapons harness, a rucksack, and a padded armor layer. What would you like?"
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Mok on September 14th, 2011, 4:54 am

A feeling of slight wonder swept over Mok as he quietly observed Antar slight of tongue. This fellow clan member’s mouth seemed to sliver through the shop barking out deals everywhere. Mok suddenly became frustrated at this display of negotiating powers. The words rolled off the archer’s tongue and landed so accurately. His master of common was apparent. To put it simply, Antar had that natural swag in the armor shop. The myrian knew immediately that the transaction would occur as simple and with such ease as did Antars. Mok could already envision himself getting ripped off by the blasted store keeper.

Once Antar was complete, Mok let go of his breath and stared wearily at the stuff that Antar had bought. It was clear from the beginning that his comrade had a very specific plan when he walked inside. Mok on the other hand had no idea what he was trying to buy. This is just like Antar. He always makes plans but NEVER tells anyone else. Just tells us to meet somewhere are a specific time.

Slowly the warrior paced around the shop perusing through the armor. Glancing down at his left arm, Mok decided he needed something that would help protect him from missile fire. If he was never hit by that rusty bolt things would be very different right now. The myrian wouldn’t think twice about buying some metal armor if it wasn’t for his past experience. Stopping in front of a chainmail shirt, Mok asked the owner about it, “This chainmail. Can you guarantee it will function?”

The shop keeper was quick to respond, “I only guarantee that my armor is the best in Sunberth if not all of Sylira my friend.”

“But. Some of this chain links look old and bent out of shape. See here,” Mok said in a low voice pointing a spot on the chain shirt. “It would only be fair if you either fixed the flaw before I purchase the item or gave me a discount.”

“Very –“ the shop owner began.

Mok took a step forward and interrupted the man, “I will overlook these massive flaws if you give me a deal. Add that and that and that for an overall savings and I will take them off your hands. What say you?”

“A chainmail, a brigandine, and shadowsilk robes? Hmph, you’ve got some nerve. 420 gold mizas!”

“Deal!!” Mok yelped. He had hoped he had made the correct decision. Now all that was to try the goods on first, then pay.

For many a time afterwards Mok would think back to this moment and wonder if he made the right decision or why he bought all this armor.

Red = Myrian
Bold = Common
-one of Mok's mottos
Mok
The Sunberthian Gangster

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Antar on September 14th, 2011, 7:11 am

"Not so fast my friend," the clerk responded even if he was slightly cowed, "There will be a 15 gold miza fee to fix them up as new." For a second the myrian looked crosseyed at him as the clerk put out his hands for the offending item. Noth watched as Mok handed the item over as he tallied up the details.

Two of Mok's items were new... fresh from the backroom forges. With a bit of disdain the clerk checked the size tag and then tossed the chain into a basket. He didn't take the money yet, instead he walked slowly over to a side counter and took a new set of chain mail and set it on the countertop for Mok. "There you go, good as new... because it is new. Your price has now been increased with no discount 250 for the brigandine, 150 for the chainmail, and... 35 gm for the shadowsilk." Taking a look at Antar who crossed his arms over his chest to look at the man, "no extra markups due to our... special today. Yes, no extra markups. 435 gold mizas total. May I interest you in a padded armor to go underneath it to prevent chafing? and help your mobility?"

Snorting Noth turned his eyes towards the shadowsilk cloak Mok had gathered up before placing one hand on Mok's shoulders. "That's actually a good price, you should take it, and the new armor is better then bad stuff, the Isur smith here does good work. One of the only ones in all sunberth which does."

Taking a moment to consider things, Antar spoke to the clerk, unknowing if Mok's had intended to make a good selection or not. "I'd like another shadowsilk robe for myself. Black. It's listed price you just said was thirty five correct? I'll buy one for that."

Shelling out another thirty-five for a new shadowsilk robe to place it into the rucksack there was only one other item he wanted to ask about. An item that he liked to consider a bit evil, and he noted a few of them on the back wall. "Sir, could you bring over a few sets of those Teethed cold iron gauntlets for me to check out?"

A curious gleam came to clerks eyes when Antar said that, but soon enough he went to get them. Turning towards Mok, Noth whispered, "Now these were what I wanted to have you see. A good investment if a little pricier." A few sets of the gauntlets were laid out on the countertop. All of them dark black leather with cold iron plates for where they were armored. "Tell me about these."

"Well a set of them is 30gm base price, no exceptions and a few of them have an assorted number of adjustments that vary. The favorites we get are ones with stilletos hidden in springs. Great for hand to hand, and the tines of the teeth may help rip a sword out of someones hand, not to mention the added protection it gives. Those ones are 54 gm per set."

"And all these have those... adjustments?" Noth asked, "Or just some?"
"Just some."
"Take away any which don't have the stilleto feature."
The clerk removed a few features from the counter top. Still waiting for Mok to make up his mind on the other items, Noth inched his hands inside of one set, feeling them a comfortable fit to his hands, even if the glove was truncated to inch up to iron rings where the palm met the first joint of the fingertips, secured by tough leather to the cold iron rings for his fingers to slip through, leaving most of the palm covered in soft black leather. That was a good thing. It meant he could hold weapons or shoot a bow, not to mention that it would still allow him to climb if needed. Nodding in satisfaction Antar tested the last of the gauntlet's function, the stilletto. Triggering the mechanism for the spring, the four inch blade came out of the top, turning it into a punching dagger. Even better, theyd fit nicely over the night leather gloves had with the night leather, yet remain dark enough to keep from prying eyes.

He tested it by punching lightly down into a chop block the clerk had on the counter, and then a strong thrust to see if the blade held or slid back into the spring. Everything worked well, showing the smith's talents. They weren't masterwork material by any means, but certainly well made. Sliding the fifty four gold mizas he realized he had spent the exact amount he had allotted for himself and put the last of the items he would buy today in the rucksack. The pair of cold iron gauntlets with the stilletos... for 54gm total.

As the clerk was about to put them away, Noth motioned for him to wait a little as he turned towards Mok.. "So my friend, would you like to see these?"
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Mok on September 15th, 2011, 3:29 am

Mok watched quietly as the merchant showed him the freshly crafted armor pieces. He listened carefully as the owner explained the cost for Mok’s equipment. Seeing that Antar supported the purchase of all the chainmail, brigandine, and shadowsilk, Mok decided to move ahead with the buy. Slowly, the soon to be armored warrior began to reach for his coin purse, but he suddenly stopped when Antar asked for the Teethed cold iron gauntlets. As the armaments were displayed to both men, Mok’s eyes began to widen. He was very curious of the hand to hand weapons before him. Most myrian warriors that Mok knew did not use such devises.

Apparently, Antar himself wanted to purchase one of these gauntlet weapons. Seeing that Antar suggested that he try on the gauntlets, Mok humbly accepted as an act of goodwill. Slipping on the gloves, Mok took a swing at air and took a few more quick jabs. Shrugging, Mok removed the gloves as quickly as he put them on. “These are interesting gauntlets Antar, but I think that I don’t need them just yet,” Mok said and then reached for his coin pouch, “Alright 435 gold mizas then? Here is the money right here. I will try on the armor and if they fit you may take the currency.”

Placing the bag of mizas next to Antar’s bag, Mok asked for a padded shirt and then tried on each piece (with a little bit of instruction from Antar and a laughing clerk). Luckily, everything fitted perfectly the first time. Quickly, Mok grabbed all his new possessions and exited the store heavily, leaving the 440 gold on the counter, leaving 5 more for the padded armor.

Mok rumbled over his shoulder in embarrassment, “Never. Take me shopping. Again.”

Red = Myrian
Bold = Common
-one of Mok's mottos
Mok
The Sunberthian Gangster

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Antar on September 15th, 2011, 3:42 am

"Ahh, but it's safest to go shopping together. Don't you think?" Antar amusingly said to Mok as they both walked out into the pouring rains. Soon enough this armor would be put to task. Antar always lived by the motto, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Antar's Receipt :
Night Leather Armor-60gm (includes a cuiriass, greaves, boots, and vambrace)
Back and Breast-50gm
-Weapon Harness 5 gm
-Padded Armor- 5 gm
Robe Shadowsilk(Black)-35gm
Teethed Gauntlets(Cold iron)-30GM
--Two Blade Springs(Coldiron) -24GM
-Rucksack-1gm
========
210 GM

Mok's Receipt :
-Padded Armor- 5 gm
Brigandine- 250gm
Chain Mail-150gm
===========
440GM

skills request :
Antar: negotiation, socialization
Mok: negotiation, socialization
Lores: Any you decide :)
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cachet on September 27th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Gossamer Said I could

Antar :
Antar
SKILLS
Negociation: 4
Socialization: 4
Observation:2

LORE
Haggling (basic)
Pushing Down Prices
Armorshop Swag

Items
Night Leather Armor-60gm (includes a cuiriass, greaves, boots, and vambrace)
Back and Breast-50gm
-Weapon Harness 5 gm
-Padded Armor- 5 gm
Teethed Gauntlets(Cold iron)-30GM
--Two Blade Springs(Coldiron) -24GM
-Rucksack-1gm
========
210 GM

Make sure you do the correct calculations for these items in your inventory.

Misc Notes:
Good dialogue and even better development. Gives good insight into how your character works on the inside.

Mok :
Mok
SKILLS
Negociation: 3
Socialization: 4
Observation:3

LORE
This Doesn't Look Good...
Shopping Dislikes

Items
-Padded Armor- 5 gm
Brigandine- 250gm
Chain Mail-150gm
===========
440GM

Make sure you do the correct calculations for these items in your inventory.

Misc Notes:

Conclusion: liked the character interaction, was quite funny to see but developed both characters at the same rate.

Anything seem out of place? Any questions please feel free to contact me ASAP.

Listen to the island
The waves and wind
That is the pulse
Note it, feel it
And become one with serenity

Cachet
The Murian Beach Bum (6zillion)

Words: 144588
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2011, 3:01 am
Race: Staff account
Office