[Sanctuary] The Errand [Kavala, Ragnor]

In which Kavala and Ragnor find a new agent to send to Avanthal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on October 30th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Kavala smiled slightly and nodded. "Sama'el, you might be Drykas, but your going to have to learn about horse breeding one of these days. If you wait until this late in the fall to breed any of your open mares, you won't have a foal on the ground until the mare is in snow up to her belly the following winter. You need to foal out all your mares in the early early spring or late late winter and rebreed immediately so that you'll time your births with the weather to get the biggest survival rate. Otherwise, you'll be living in a pavilion full of foals whose mothers are outside upset and have to be hand milked six times a day." Kavala laughed, winked at Ragnor, and went on with the lesson.

"He's a fine stallion for sure though. Should you bring him around in the spring, he'll see his fair share of lasses that want and need his attention. Good Windrunner blood is rare around here."
She added. "But this late in the game, its best to rest any open mares a season and let them be covered when the snow melts back and the grass begins to turn brilliant emerald." Kavala said, smiling slightly.

"We've got a lot going on this spring... foaling, breeding and we're awaiting word from the Cerulean in the spring in hopes we see a handful of travelers that will come through to stay. I've sent a man to Avanthal with Ragnor's families name to pay off some debt and encourage them to come to Riverfall to join us. But Horse would be welcome in the spring even with all that going on. His form is lovely."
Kavala said, then moved on.

"Most everyone around here rests in the winter after we get everything ready for it this fall. But I can't afford too, Sam. We're running out of room here, and the need is fairly great that we expand. I need to head into town and look up the name of a Reimancer, someone named Lars, to do some work on the rocks below us and expand more living quarters into the very earth itself. I'm hoping he'll teach me something of the art so I can do some of the work myself during our idle seasons. Any advice into talking an Akalak into something?"
Kavala grinned.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 30th, 2011, 8:48 pm

"Try telling Dohaina anything," he dared her with a smile. "Her estrous came late, but the sire is a fine Strider, too, and I'll baby her through the Winter. She's a foal of Zulrav himself." The smile widened, but he was only half joking. That she had come to him out of the teeth of a Cyphrus storm and helped fend off glassbeaks when his ragtag company was falling apart meant a lot to him. So much so that he sang the old songs to the storm god when the winds were high on the Sea of Grass, much as he sang the old songs to the sun when she crested the eastern horizon each morning. "The gods are good," he added, almost as an afterthought to some internal monologue.

"It is good you will have your family back again," he said to Ragnor. "Family is everything." And, of course, he beamed at the compliment to his Windrunner brother. Kavala knew how to win points with him, but young, good-hearted Drykas boys were not so difficult to wrap around a finger.

"You want to live in caves?" he asked dubiously. That sounded like a Symenestra sort of thing to do, moreso than a Konti diversion. He remembered the stories of his people going under the earth to take advantage of Semele's protection, but it was a time of trial and tribulation, the people only truly happy again when they had regained their prairie homeland.

Kavala was Drykas, and of the Sapphire Clan, but Ragnor was an outsider. He considered, and relented; the ghost was bound to Kavala now, her totem against spiritual enemies. He decided that Ragnor could be trusted with some hint of the Drykas mysteries. After all, only the Web was entirely sacrosanct.

"I can call Fire for you," he said thoughtfully. "Pour it through the cracks and crevices, melt away stone. The best coin a woman can use with the Akalak you have already used." He smiled at her beautiful blue boy, but when he returned his eyes to her, they were troubled. "I know the ritual to initiate, but I am not adept. I do not know if the Earth will be the first element to respond to you. My cousin Eldon initiated me. His are the Water and the Earth, but the Fire came to me. But if you wish to take the chance, I will do this for you. Better you owe me good deals on horses and hounds than you owe an Akalak another favor."
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on October 30th, 2011, 11:04 pm

For a moment he simply looked out from the veranda to simply stare into nothingness and contemplate. When in his life had it ever been so comforting to be so alone? Being among the living, seeing the vitality he once held so close at hand stirred emotions inside of him, insidious feeling he cared not to know what they where or what their intent was. More than anything he longed for that pulsing rhythm to beat once more in his chest, but he was a man without a body, a apparition that could scarcely do anything these days but keep watch. Darker pain, emotions, sins of the spirit stirred faster inside of him teasing his mind with haunting prospects only to tug them out of reach before the idea could fully form. As the frustration welled inside of him he concentrated on how he appeared, a calming exersise on normal circumstances. First focusing on his boots, he concentrated on their color and the thickness of it's sole, before working his way up to his pants and concentrating on the minor details of it. By the time reached his back, the scratching, oh so scathing emotions that welled inside of him, making him struggle to concentrate on even the simplest detail, and for a moment he simply could do nothing else but stand their blankly while a war raged inside of him.

Concentrating on his wife's face, the shadows slowly receded from his mind, drifting away for now, but still yet holding promise of coming back, and stronger the next time. Where his body flesh and blood he would have dropped to the ground were he stood, but with his movement more or less dependent on the cooperation of a focused mind, he simply remained standing like a statue, not moving one inch to even pretend to blink. His control on his materialized form was already on the wane, his image on the verge of collapsing on itself right then and there. Blest he was that he could see, and that he was starting to think clearly for his eyes alighted on a jar of soul mist Kavala must have provided him with while he was thinking, and with a effort of will, he glided closer to the jar and let his hand hover above it. Drawing it to him was simple in comparison to how much effort it took to make himself move, and before even a few moments could pass he could feel the refreshing tingle of the soul mist as it washed through him, slowly restoring his own energy and clearing his mind so he could more properly think, and ward away the darkness in his soul.

He turned just in time to see Kavala wink at him, and chuckling softly he shook his head, and returned his attention to the conversation at hand. The first, talking mostly of horses an the like he guessed was directed at Sam's own steed, though he knew not enough to know from which stock it came, or even what that particular horse breed did best. He did find however rather interesting the mention of his family, and Kavala's mention of the Cerulean that she had sent off to see to his family in his stead. Leaning ever so slightly forward he seemed to hang on the konti's every word even if it was just repetition of information he had already heard before. Simply put, he never got tired of hearing that his family was going to be taken care of, and only thing he would like to have heard more was that conformation that they would receive in its respective time.

He offered a nod to Sama'el in appreciation to the man's sentiments, agreeing wholly with the idea that family was most important. Perhaps it was only something held true by this lad, or perhaps it was held as an ideal for the entirety of his people, but whatever the case Sam was good company as far as Ragnor knew, and held at least one good value that he knew of. "Thank you. Family is sacred after all is it not?"
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on October 31st, 2011, 5:29 am

Kavala offered Ragnor a soft smile. "If we don't hear from your family or the Cerulean in the spring, we'll send someone to Avanthal to check on them. I only wished I had someone I actually knew that I could send up there and be sure they were brought back here safe. The Cerulean was the best I could find to trust at the time." Kavala said, having hoped there would have been word by now of Azurk's progress.

Her attention drifted to Sama'el's teasing and Kavala laughed gently.

"Yes, I want to live in caves. When the wind is blowing and the storms are pounding the coast, it would be enormously nice to have all the stock safe underground yet high enough not to worry about being inundated by the sea. Surely you haven't avoided using the Underpasses in certain situations when it merits them." Kavala said, laughing slightly. "Besides, its easy to defend a cave against invaders, raiders and predators. It's not so easy to defend a stone home." Kavala added, smiling at Sama'el.

Kavala widened her eyes in surprise. "Indeed. I'd rather pay you in horseflesh than another Akalak with my body. How about a trade? The pick of next years non-Rynsa foals. I should have the start of my first generation of new breed with this years coming crop, but there will be a lot of excess foals that will be pureblood or incredibly good mixed blood that I will need to cull from the breeding program even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I'll even have some pureblood striders for sale. I'll let you have your choice of any two you want out of that crop... and if you don't want to be burdened with weanlings, I can even keep them and train them up for you so you can have them as two-year olds. Or you can look through what I have that's older and pick among them. I'll have really good mares and stallions that need to be moved on because they don't fit my program. Some I am just holding onto waiting for growth spurts to take a look at final confirmation. They are all good animals, but I'm being particular about certain traits for the new breed. That is our goal after all. I keep striders and seme around for work and quick trips back to Endrykas. Everything else is negotiable. What say you? Two of the finest, your choice, for an initiation?" Kavala said, dangling the carrot out there for him to either take or reject.

If he wanted more than two, she probably wouldn't quiver at it. It was far better to see her horseflesh go to Drykas blood than to Akalak until she was ready for the Akalak breed to be more widespread. Sama'el took excellent care of his animals. Her stock wouldn't go wrong being with him.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 31st, 2011, 6:04 am

There were several things he wanted to say, but Kavala was talking quickly like a Drykas at market, and it was only toward the end that it occurred to him that he might want to ask some questions. He trusted her, of course, but she seemed to be leading him. To what, he wasn't quite sure yet.

"Two horses of my choice and if the gods grant you fire, a front row seat for the first few times you singe Vanator's arse," he countered with a grin. But he was still a little thrown by Ragnor's behavior. It was like there was emotional turmoil in the air that wasn't Sam's, and then the ghost was drawing energy from that jar of glowing stuff. "But I have questions about a few things...

"First, what is that stuff, Ragnor? Second, oh, I guess this one isn't a question, but I don't get to use the Underpasses all that much. They have me ranging topside, and that suits me just fine." Truth be told, after watching Zulrav strike down that criminally disrespectful Isur and with his stormborn Strider, there was a vague sort of thrill to the idea of riding straight into a Cyphrus storm to see if Zulrav might wait for him within the buffeting winds. But he wasn't quite that self-destructive.

"Third, I do not think you should have trusted a Cerulean with such a task. I'm sorry, Ragnor. I don't mean to worry you, but..." He didn't claim to understand the dual nature of the Akalak, but he generally assumed, as did many other outsiders, that there was a violent criminal slouching within every blue man just waiting to get out and do things that were not good. He paused, remembering how Ragnor had accompanied him back to Endrykas from Riverfall a few seasons ago, and how kind and helpful Kavala had been. There was much to be done back at home, but the Watch protected the Drykas people and nobody really protected Kavala out here except herself.

"I could go. I mean, if you don't want to wait until Spring. I wouldn't, if it was my family."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on October 31st, 2011, 4:49 pm

Darkened eyes flashed to look into Kavala's, the doubt in her voice raising alarm in his mind. What he knew of the Akalak was limited in he only knew how to recognize what one looked like, and that for some reason some of them were called Ceruleans for reasons he did not know. The suggestion of such a title in his experience meant someone to be trusted enough to be honored enough to belong to such a group of fierce protectors, but the way he heard her speak the name brought on a whole new connotation to it. Was the Cerulean name a mark of shame? He couldn't believe that to be so, for surely Kavala wouldn't entrust his families care in the hands of someone branded an outcast. There must be a reason to trust the man after all, for what was to stop him from running away with the bounty of mizas then. He pushed away the self destructive thoughts far from his mind to clear his head a bit, slipping up on his concentration as he did and allowing his form to blur for a moment. Trusting the konti's decision was his only option, he couldn't cope with not trusting her, for if he couldn't trust the generous woman's decisions who could he trust? Ragnor gave Kavala a slight nod, a hand going to his temple, and massaging at the flesh that was not there.

"Soul mist I believe, right Kavala?" He said, turning to face her more fully to see her conformation. With a sharping of his thought, he refined the lines of his arm to look more cut, and realistic, but yet couldn't handle the minor details such as the hairs that should have covered his arms. Not much that it mattered, but it was a good distraction for his mind, and a more than worthwhile work out on his abilities. His eyes settled on Sama'el now, a small gracious grin gracing his stern features as he looked the rider up and down. "If Kavala would have it, know that you would go with my trust in this matter" Ragnor said, his eyes shifting to look at both of Sam's eyes in turn. There was hope Sama'el so freely dangled before him, a hope for the security of his family. Nothing could he wish for more besides that.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on November 1st, 2011, 8:42 am

The Konti laughed at Sama'els knowledge of her brother and the visual he painted of her setting her brother's somewhat handsome rump on fire. "Sounds like we have a deal then. Two horses of your choice and a front row seat it is. When can we do this thing? I'm eager to learn a new artform and get Sanctuary into storm survivability shape." Kavala said, not trying to sound as eager as she was. But indeed, she was eager.

Ragnor's family though. That was a concern. The jar of soulmist though, was less of one for her. She made it on a routine basis these days, to help the ghost but also to make him feel part of the growing Sanctuary family. It was as important to her - to nurture Ragnor - as it was to nurture the others at The Sanctuary. In fact, sometimes she thought he needed it more than the living did.

But Sam was obviously curious about the jar. Ragnor offered info, but really told him little else. Kavala filled in the rest. It wasn't that Ragnor was stand-offish. It just seemed sometimes he didn't know how to interact with the living or really feel a part of them when the living gathered.

Kavala nodded at Sama'el's question about the jar of stuff in front of Ragnor. "Soul mist indeed. It's a spiritists formula for sustenance a ghost can use to manifest. I learned to make it from a book. It keeps Ragnor manifested longer than he could on his own. " Kavala said slightly sheepishly. "You make it from food and your own blood. This jar has mine in it. It's not the best stuff for Ragnor, but someday we'll know how to make him better fair." She added.

"I trust the Cerulean, Sama'el. It's just that the world is a harsh place. I gave him coin and a means to get to Avanthal, but if he doesn't make it due to any number of reasons, Ragnor's family is still in danger. Our goal was to bring them back here where they'd be safe. Ragnor says his wife is good with children and would make an excellent caregiver. His children too could be educated here, where he could still watch over them. I contracted the Cerulean, Azurk, to bring them all back here. To go now, in this season, means to cross Sylira and Taldera in the fall and Winter, the most dangerous time to do so. I'm not even sure it could be done. But if anyone could, a Drykas would be the man to ask for sure... especially Sapphire Clan." That made her smile. The Denusks were Sapphires. They had clan pride in large measures.

"You'd be crazy to go now and not wait until Spring. But if you have an itch to wander anyhow, we'd be grateful for you to go. Ragnor, you'd better describe your family to him and tell him all about what he's facing with the debt. He needs names, ages, what holds they live in etc. It'll be important that he knows."
Kavala said, looking both concerned and thoughtful, a mixture of hope and relief also blending into her features.
Last edited by Kavala on November 6th, 2011, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 5th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Sama'el nodded slowly to the apparition. Ragnor spoke little, but Sam had learned to pay attention to those scant few words when they had traveled to Endrykas together. Kavala elaborated, and he nodded to her, understanding better between the both of them. But this was a momentous decision, coupled with other great ones: a journey, the elements, the spirit.

"No doubt this Azurk was a trustworthy warrior," he said slowly. "I will have to go back to Endrykas, see to my... well, it's not a pavilion, but there are horses and people who depend upon me. When I return, I will initiate you into the Mysteries. Perhaps I'll try to make some soul fog for Ragnor and..." He considered for a moment, wondering again whether it was safe to talk in front of Ragnor. "Perhaps I can sink an origin stone under the Sanctuary to help me find my way back. Also... help can arrive from Endrykas more quickly.

"But it would be best to go sooner, no? They are his family. If I hurry, I can be far enough south by the time winter truly hits that the passes of Taldera won't be impassible. Horse has some Frostmarch in him. He will be a good leader."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 7th, 2011, 9:04 pm

He nodded his assent to her words, knowing hers was a ability to better convey information better than he ever possibly could. There was much still for him to learn, interacting, and speaking foremost among those even though too much time in the presence of such vibrancy wasn't always wanted. Of company, Kavala and Sama'el where as fine as they came though, and quietly he listened to her every word as she told them much of what he already knew. More important was the young man's response, he being among the few Ragnor placed trust in, and as the man's words came rushing out, the bundled anxiety he had felt budding inside of him released itself somewhat, and for just a flicker of a moment a expression of true peace masked his face before it retired to the same unassuming visage as before.

"You'll find my family in the Winterflame Hold. When you get their ask for my wife Izurabelle, a woman of long black hair and the bluest eyes you'll ever see, and only thirty summers young. Find her and you'll have found my three children as well as the eldest has yet to breach her twelfth summer yet." He said without hesitation for where he suffered with words he did not suffer with such details in his memories. A faraway look took to his eyes then as his mind spiraled to the snowy wonders of Avanthal where even now his family rested. Oh how I long to feel the cold wind on my skin just one more time.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on November 8th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Kavala sat back quietly listening. She’d had her say. To her way of thinking the deal would be between the ghost and the Drykas if Ragnor wanted Sama’el to risk his life. She shook her head though. Sama’el’s timeline was crazy. There was no way he’d make it to Avanthal even if he took the fastest route before Spring or Summer at any sort of rate.

“How will you travel? It seems to me that Karjin is the closest way.. take a ship up the gut through the northern Suvan to Karjin and then ride overland to Avanthal. That’s thousands of miles, Sama’el. You can’t get anywhere near there before the worst of winter hits. You’ll be in the thick of the snows before you come anywhere near and I know Taldera is rough in the winter. They say its beautiful, but it’s the time the predators feast because of the big snows. There’s no roads between anything here and anything there. I’ve taken that ship myself as a girl going to Karjin once in good weather. I don’t see how you can get there before late spring or early summer with any reason at all. It’s going to be dangerous.” The konti said, not wanting to burst his bubble but wanting him to be realistic as well. Seasons past she’d had a painter, an Akvatari who’d come through, show her how to paint on the walls. Upstairs in her room was a lovely seascape the woman had done for her. Down in the main room was a world map. Kavala saw it every day, using it to remind herself of how large the world was and how much Sanctuary could be, even if in just one small section of it.

The konti said no more, instead refreshing wine and fussing as a good hostess should. What Sama’el did and where he rode was his business, but she worried nonetheless. Trips throughout the world were dangerous. She knew first hand how dangerous. Even going someplace as mundane as Mura or traveling home could be devastating – life altering – and one needed to be careful. Kavala never realized that before. She wished someone would have told her, shown her, or at least attempted too. The Konti wasn’t sure how much she would have listened because back then she felt larger than life, alive with her youth, and untouchable. Now mostly, she just felt fear… fear of being outside Sanctuary’s walls.. fear of the future.

She settled down once more, glancing at Ragnor, wondering what he was really thinking on all this. She knew he wanted his family – who wouldn’t? – but how hard would it be to have them here with him, them alive, and he dead? Kavala envied Ragnor’s wife and children for a moment, not in the fact they’d lost him, but in the fact he loved them so much. They were incredibly lucky people and she truthfully hoped they understood how rate that was in the world.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext