[Sanctuary] The Errand [Kavala, Ragnor]

In which Kavala and Ragnor find a new agent to send to Avanthal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on September 25th, 2011, 8:22 pm

4th Fall, 511 A.V.

The Sanctuary was always a busy place, and the previous day had been spent in the company of Raiha, talking about raptors and the like. Instead of intruding on the peace of the Sanctuary proper when it got later in the day, he opted to show Issima around the rest of Riverfall a bit more and return today to greet Kavala and, if he was around, the ghost who had followed him back to Endrykas seasons ago.

The Drykas-blooded Konti had expressed an interest in seeing Horse when Fall came around and Sama'el was closer, and so he rode in on the Windrunner stallion. Dohaina was newly pregnant and probably getting fatter by the minute back in Endrykas under the doting gaze of Denen. He kept telling himself he was going to train Horse to the yvas, but he was so busy he never could get around to it. Someday, though, he most certainly would. Trotting in from the city proper, he took a good look at the place to see if there were any new additions or other changes. He respected Kavala for having built something here; it was what he was trying to do with his pavilion, although his goal was more mobile than hers. He wondered, though, whether she would flee this place if the Sanctuary were a movable thing.

Sama'el was just glad to have returned to his people and the wandering city. He called out to let them know he was there.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on September 28th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Hiding amidst the shadows of the front porch, Ragnor looked upon a man he was not so much unfamiliar with. It was no other than the very same drykas he had run into on his wanderings outside of Riverfall, a man by all accounts to be respected. To see him back so soon though surprised him, and in the tumult of emotions that swam within him, anxiety rose up.

Was everything ok?

Of course that was the first thing on his mind. Coming earlier than expected wasn't always a good thing, and more often than times brought dark news. Had the young drykas run into trouble, or other problems in Endrykas that demanded him to leave the moving city. Was it death that troubled the man, or was it simple a luxury visit, it all raced through his mind clouding his focus for a moment before he realized he could simply could ask the watchman himself.

Drifting from his perch, he concentrated on willing himself into being, looking very much the same as when they had first met, but cleaner and a bit more kept looking, something he favored the chance to do when he was on shore leave. It was another thing entirely to move his feet forward, but he did it as well moving them in time with how fast he willed himself forward.

Raising a hand in greeting, he greeted the drykas in his deep, rumbling voice, "Greetings Sam, and how have the seasons fared you?"
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on September 29th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Kavala was busy doing what she could to get the Sanctuary ready for winter. One of the biggest hurdles they'd have to pass through was making sure all the animals made it through the cold season. And since some of the horses would be out on the grass riding out most of the winter and not brought in unless the storms were really bad, Kavala was having a last minute go at handling the new weanlings before they were released in managed herds in the near shelter. Most of the babies, of course, would be kept in the pastures that flanked either side of Sanctuary while the broodmare band itself was out on the grass. It was important for the young horses to be handled daily and get used to people. So, in that light Kavala had all the weanlings penned up in the round pen and was releasing them one at a time into the big arena where she worked with them on a halter and long line getting them used to be touched and handled.

Her language was pavi as she asked each weanling to walk on, halt, turn right, turn left, gradually getting them used to the feel of tack on their heads and around their bodies. Most were compliant, moving as she asked, and halting when she requested it to allow her to pick up all four of their feet and run her hands over them. Kavala probed the insides of their ears, peered in their nostrils, opened thier mouths and ran fingers between big teeth, smoothed hands over flanks, up and down legs, lifted tails and even gently manipulated udders and sheaths all in the name of getting the babies used to her handling.

Each one was treated patiently, kindly, and wasn't released to roam free in the big arena until they were calm and their handling session ended on a good note. At that point Kavala would release the one she was working with and head back over to the round pen to catch another and bring it back to the arena for work.

It let her evaluate each baby, decide what its strengths and weaknesses were and identify any structural faults. These small sessions might have been a waste of time to another breeder, but to Kavala they were a test of worth - who she'd keep and who she'd sell - which made all the difference in the world to her new breed - one she hadn't yet named. Her son, always never far away, was tucked against her back, sleeping in a very Drykas styled baby backpack. The added weight of her son was sometimes overwhelming especially since Tasi had grown, but Kavala felt that the additional training helped her to be stronger. If she could carry him, she could carry herself even more strongly.

She saw the rider approach, not recognizing the horse she turned, stroked the weanling she was currently working on, then released the filly so she could go great the newcommer.

When Ragnor manifested, Kavala was slightly surprised. He rarely did so, especially to strangers. And that made Kavala wonder who the rider was. She lifted her head and started out to meet the rider, glancing curiously between the figure and Ragnor manifesting.

It took her a moment or two, a second for every step, before she was close to the gate and recognized the rider. Interestingly enough, it wasn't actually the rider that she recognized, but rather how he set his horse and the way he rode so naturally. Sama'el. Kavala smiled.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 4th, 2011, 6:29 am

"Hullo, Ragnor," he said, smiling though he laid a calming hand on Horse's neck. The Windrunner had not met the ghost, nor traveled with him as pregnant Dohaina had. But he had found that most horses would be rather tractable if they felt you would lead them to safety and food, and Sama'el had gone hungry before allowing Horse to do so in the past, and they were both alive, so their track record was good.

"The seasons keep changing. Some things for the better, somethings... well, there are always minor setbacks to overcome. But I am doing well. Endrykas isn't so far away now so I came to visit. How are you faring? Things look well here. At least nobody has burned the Sanctuary down."

Content with the idea that the ghost would not eat him, Horse's head was erect, ears swiveled toward the buildings that smelled of hay and his kind. It had been some time since he had been in a proper stable, but he remembered the ease and comfort. Sama'el laughed, following Horse's attention. Only then he saw Kavala approaching and raised his hand in greeting to her as well.

"Ho, Kavala! I thought you might like to meet Horse."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on October 8th, 2011, 5:36 pm

A slight flicker ran through his image, something that amounted to what would have been a twitch should he still have been flesh and blood. "I do well enough, and more than thankful the season has been quieter than some I've seen." His neck bent back to look up at Sama'el astride his horse, but even as he did so his mind was lost elsewhere. It was a different horse he yet rides now, something that wasn't immediately alarming, or even important for that matter, but it brought up darker thoughts, and with those came a self centered focus on his own past, his own losses. The crackle of a long distant fire, and ash mixing with blood suffused the air for a brief moment as bitter regret welled up within him, but was carried away by a fickle breeze to quick for Ragnor to even to notice it for what it was. As much as he loathed the utter despair of his state, he disliked even more how easily emotions ran through him, and how obviously apparent they could be. It was as if he was made of glass, and without the power to hide what boiled within, that was how it always would be. For him, it just wasn't fair.

"Pray tell your other steed is well, I see you are ride on a new one." Ragnor remarked, waving his hand across expressively. The slight frown that had touched his lips was quick to dissolve into nothingness behind a neutral look that took his face. Gingerly he reached out his hand, moving to stroke the horse's cheek, hovering his had just above the horse's flesh as he mimed petting it. After a moment he withdrew it, and looked to the woman Sama'el announced the arrival of, a rare wisp of a smile coming to his lips. "And how does the morning treat you Kavala?"
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on October 17th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Kavala smiled. "I'm doing well, we both are." She said, gesturing to the backpack she carried that contained her son. "A new horse? Horse?" She said nothing at his choice of names. Sama'el was a good rider, and that's all that truly mattered. He took excellent care of his animals which was more than enough to make up for a lax in naming practices in Kavala's mind.

"You know Ragnar? He's usually not so open in greeting guests and visitors." She said, surprised. She walked up to Horse and cupped her hand beneath Horse's nose, introducing herself to him before anything else. "He's a fine animal. You look well too Sama'el. How have you been?" She asked, smiling. Some people Kavala was always glad to see in Sanctuary. "What brings you this way? Visiting? Shopping? Passing through? There's a stall if Horse needs one and fresh water and nice hay." She asked then added.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 19th, 2011, 5:11 am

Horse was confused for a moment, seeing Ragnar, and seeing his hand come near, feeling something, but not smelling a thing. He shifted about on his feet nervously, but it was a testament to his training and his trust in his rider that he didn't bolt. It took bravery to survive the wilds, and for two years it had just been Horse and his boy. Bravery they had in spades. Sense, well, that was another story. Sama'el patted Horse's shoulder and made soothing sounds.

"Dohaina is just fine," he said, remembering the golden mare fondly. "Newly pregnant, so I let her rest in Endrykas." And she was proof that he could name things just fine under the right circumstances. "This is Horse, the Windrunner stallion I was telling Kavala about. I acquired him in Sunberth a few years back and we have been together ever since. Dohaina I didn't meet until last summer."

He saluted Kavala with an impish grin, and then the swaddled youngling at her back as if the blue boy were a Drykas warrior and not an Akalak.

"Ragnar accompanied me back to Endrykas after my last visit. And I warned you I'd come back in the Fall when we were nearby. Anyway, all's well for the most part. Visiting, shopping... I've a friend who rode with me in town taking in the sights. I came by yesterday and spoke to Raiha about a kestrel chick, too. And you'll certainly find Horse only too happy to avail himself to the comforts of a stable. He's Drykas now, but he remembers the pampered life."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on October 21st, 2011, 9:52 pm

He couldn't help but smile a bittersweet smile at Sam's declaration of the other horses safety. It relieved him, but didn't make the memories disappear, nothing could. The rider mentioned experiences far beyond Ragnor's own understanding, but then again there was much of the world he had yet to meet with his eyes, and with them cities he had never had the pleasure to experience. He'd been content with what he had seen in life, and that had not changed in death, for even at the end of the day, he was where he was. He took careful note of the man's salute, a odd thing enough for him to see before turning about and getting a better view of Kavala, and her babe she carried on her back. Children where the future of the world, that was certain, and a constant reminder that such innocence existed in even such dark times did much in the way of preserving his own sanity, and warding away the coldness of cynicism.

"A fine morning it is then" he said, moving just beside Kavala to offer a slight wave to the child, before turning to face the, his eyes flickering from Sama'el to Kavala each in turn as words were bandied about. He could only remain his quiet vigil at the remark of his present social identity, something that rang true for any who had spent as much time with him as Kavala had, and he found the knowledge of that strangely comforting.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on October 25th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Kavala smiled, shifted Tasifal's weight on her back, and nodded at Ragnar. "That makes sense. You are usually so shy." She said, moving away from Horse and going to open the box stall he had last time. She didn't mind stepping away from the gentleman for a few minutes, because the horse... erh Horse... needed some feed and a good rest. She also took a twist of hay and rubbed him down after slipping off his Yvas and setting Sama'el's packs aside. Kavala just helped herself. Sama'el was Drykas and so was she. It's what her peopel did... caring for their horses before themselves.

When Horse was all settled, Kavala rejoined Sama'el and Ragnar, leading them up onto the Veranda. "I left your packs in Horse's stall, Sama'el. You can fetch them later. You'll be staying here while your in Riverfall of course. Either upstairs or you can take Aweston's room. He's out riding the herds this week checking on the yearlings. We'll be bringing in everyone for the bad weather soon but we're leaving them on the grass as long as possible this year. Last year our stores ran low, but I've got a plan for that not to happen again if I can work it out... and get more guest quarters out of the deal." She said, worried slightly. Then she gestured to the new building adjacent to The Sanctuary. "Did you see the new kenenls? We're evidently going into dogs now." Kavala said, then laughed.

"I'll shut up now... what brings you this way? Are you staying a while?" She asked, curious, already shifting gears by washing her hands in a pump action sink and taking out already picked fruit to slice and serve with fresh bread and honey. Tea was provided, of course, and Kavala even set a little jar of what looked like already-chewed dough out for Ragnor in case he needed it.

When she finally finished fussing, she took off her baby pack and sat down with her son in her lap, gently playing with him a while before rocking him trying to get him to nap.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 26th, 2011, 12:22 am

Sama'el smiled at Ragnar even as the ghost shied away a bit, which was ghostly behavior, he supposed. No expert, no spiritist, his experience with the arcane mysteries revolved around the Web and the calling of Fire. He only knew what he witnessed of the Sanctuary's guardian. But he smiled and waved at the youngling, too, not showing too much envy for the offspring. If he survived long enough, he would have children. He just had to keep fighting to survive.

Thanking Kavala for the hospitality, he let Horse enjoy the attentions of a pretty lady, even if two legged ladies weren't the stallion's type.

"I saw the kennels, and Raiha was talking about them a bit as well, running around with those pups she has. Looks good. I might have to get a pup or two." He did wish he was buying pups for children, but all things came to those who waited. Then again, he liked to seize the day, too.

"I'll be here for a bit," he went on as she began to serve. He looked oddly at the jar of lumpy dough stuff, but didn't ask. "I thought I'd see if you had any need of a Windrunner like Horse if you have any mares in heat this late in the season. I acquired a couple of young Semes from the Fleetrunner pavilion. So, you know, mixing business with pleasure."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next