Location [Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

Postby Thylia-Zaphyr on August 19th, 2012, 6:03 am

70th of Summer 512 AV
Thylia was crouched down, alone, behind a rock that had been her resting place for the night. She glanced around nervously and noticed something that had been lost to her sight in the night. It was a wall of stone with some kind of face carved above a hole on it. She studied it suspiciously and was only satisfied after she had been looking at it for some time.
She slowly came to a standing position and looked around quickly before shaking out her stiff muscles, sleeping on the hard soil did that to you. I haven't been here before She thought to herself, pulling her cloak tighter around herself.
She darted across the open ground between herself and the wall before she was stopped be a voice.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

She had heard that name before, the City of Illusions, from where she had no idea but she fell an overwhelming compulsion to reply to the voice. Her dark eyes widened and her voice shook slightly as she replied, 'I come merely as a wanderer.' She still had no idea where the voice had come from but almost immediately after she had spoken she suddenly felt a little more relaxed. Her hair fell from where it had been tucked neatly behind her ear and came to rest over her face as her heartbeat slowed from the fast pace it had been keeping moments before.
Thylia raised herself onto her toes and slowly crept forward toward the gap in the wall and she took one last examination of her surroundings before she entered the darkness.
Thylia-Zaphyr
Memories, what are memories?

Words: 10100
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2012, 3:38 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Ruzekiel Soren on September 2nd, 2012, 8:20 pm

Wanderer in the City of Illusions

Ruzekiel Soren was tired, hungry, and now he was also very cold. When he had set out from Syrlias it had been August. He couldn’t have gone THAT far! Under him his horse Etienne snorted, evidently as weirded out as he was. It was snowing lightly, in the middle of a balmy midsummer night. Fancy that. As the worn out traveler approached the stone door of the city, he thought he caught some movement there, and he called out,

“Hello? Anyone there? Guards?” There must be at least one guard keeping watch over the gate, but as he came closer he saw no one. Then he realized that the movement he saw was not in fact a human or a guard but a giant face—welded right into the stone itself. And the face appeared to be sleeping, which was expected since it was two in the morning. Ruzekiel cleared his throat loudly and the face twitched but did not wake. Etienne whinnied and shifted under him, nervous.

“There, there,” Zeke said impatiently, “It’s just a giant…moving stone face.” Etienne huffed. If the paint horse were human Zeke was sure he would be pouting.

“Er, hallo!” He called in greeting, urging Etienne closer to the snoring stone door. Obviously just talking to it was not working. He cleared his parched throat and bellowed,
“EXCUSE ME! WAKE UP SLEEPYHEAD!” The door grumbled and mumbled, with the sound of pebbles grinding together loudly, and suddenly its wet granite eyes flew open and it bellowed back,
“ErrmumblegrumbleWHO GOES THERE?”The sheer power in the door’s voice was like an avalanche on Zeke’s eardrums. The ground shook under them. Etienne clearly had had enough of this scary nonsense and threw his head back, rearing into the air. Soren barely held on, squinting at the pile of dust that showered upon the pair from the stone goliath facing them.

“Now then, don’t get all worked up,” Soren said shakily, blinking and rubbing his eyes of the dirt, his free hand gripping the reins for dear life. The door glared down at them, then said in a bored, mini-earthquake boom,
“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Ruzekiel grinned.
“Well, I’m glad you asked! I am Ruzekiael Soren, and this here is Etienne.” He patted the horse’s neck. “We seek entry into your fair city.” The door blinked, sending a tiny shower of dirt into the snowy air, and grumbled down at them in an irritated voice,
“Do you know what TIME it is, little man? You woken me from my SLUMBER.” Zeke paused, staring up at the door quizzically, and replied,
“You’re a giant stone door. I wasn’t aware that rocks had to sleep.” The door blinked at this, evidently thinking, and then made a face, nodding slowly with the sound of stone scraping against stone. Then it released another pebbly growl and grumbled,
“But you still can’t come in.”

“Well why not?” Zeke whined, his breath steaming in the increasingly chilly night air. The door paused to think, then its throaty roar cracked the evening again.

“YOU MUST ANSWER A RIDDLE FIRST!”

“Must you do this to all your guests?”
Etienne nickered with a nicker that could only mean in horse,
“I’m fed up with this silliness,” and threw his rider clear out of the saddle. Zeke fell in an ungraceful pile with a snowy thump and a loud oof. His horse whinnied and trotted away in search of carrots. Soren, face in the snow, delivered a muffled sigh and asked the door,

“What’s the riddle?” He looked up to see the door’s mossy facade break into a wide-toothed grin and laugh heartily, sending the light powdered snow up into the air and into the hapless traveler’s face.

“YOU STUPID, FUNNY LITTLE MAN,” it said, with another hysterical chuckle.

“COME IN, IF YOU DARE. I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU.”

At this, the mouth of the door ceased its talk and opened wide, wide enough for two tall carriages to pass through side-by-side, the stone somehow wrinkling as the entrance expanded. Zeke stumbled upright, dusted himself off, and stood high, trying to piece together what little dignity he had. He nodded stiffly to the door and sauntered into the City of Illusions, tried, hungry, damp, and with absolutely no idea what he was doing.

OOC: Story continued here, please feel free to join in!
Ruzekiel Soren
Player

Words: 93187
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2012, 3:27 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Damian on October 3rd, 2012, 4:50 am

Winter 94 511AV

Anchored off the shores of Alvadas, Damian's ship had finally anchored. Damian and most of the crew were asleep as they rested for the long day of offloading and exploration of the city of Alvadas. Some of the crew was familiar to the city and its trickery. Others however, like Damian, were blissfully unaware of the quirks the city had that others did not. However, none of the crew would realize just how dangerous the magic of the city could actually be.
Damian
Player

Words: 29814
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2011, 3:31 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Blizzard on October 28th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Fall 27th, 512AV

Having sold her horse, Blizzard was in her snow leopard form with her belongings in her pouches strapped around her stomach and back. She looked more like a pack snow leopard but she had gained 55 gold mizas and the load wasn't at all heavy enough to put a noticeable loss on her energy. The Gaping Maw opened it's mouth to allow a few visitors and residents in and she bolted full speed for the opening after it's grumbling mouth came down completely. She leaped as it's mouth began to grumble to close again, barely making it through. She looked back at the city then sighed "I'm not sure if we'll meet again, Alvadas. But if we don't, farewell."

Her snowy white coat moved in the breezes as she bolted for the Unforgiving. She had heard that it was a mountainous region. And a mountainous region was what she longed for. Possibly a place to call home for once and for all. Alvadas was great but not for a wild animal. Especially when she had a growing bloodlust that consumed her thoughts every waking moment. She needed the wilderness. She needed the fresh blood of prey. The Kelvic inside needed a bondmate but the snow leopard needed blood. Perhaps she could run across someone. Perhaps she could find a den.
Blizzard
It's Whatever You Want It To Be

Words: 93022
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm
Character sheet

Postby Sinoa on November 21st, 2012, 1:52 am

Fall 28th, 512AV

Sinoa loved the thrill of travel even if it was extremely dangerous, the danger was most of the appeal. He had been travelling alone for far too long since he left his home town of syliras and had lost both his arms and his antennae from monster attacks. Missing limbs aren't as big a problem for a Pycon he just had to eat more clay to regenerate but he only had a weeks worth left . He needed to find a place that was interesting enough to keep his attention. He had stayed in a couple cities but he soon craved something more engaging and had to leave.
As he was silently walking with his six clay legs he saw a large head made of stone in the distance. Sinoa stopped for a moment to take in the sight. The first thought that entered his tiny head was that the head must belong to his creator Harameus the god of alchemy
"oh joy" he whispered with excitement
he quickly bridged the gap between himself and the large structure.
when he walked up in front of his mighty creator the head spoke
"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?"
sinoa was taken aback and a little hurt that Harameus had not recognized one of his creations.
"don't you recognize one of your own children almighty Harameus? I have come to this city to broaden my horizons and discover my true form"
the head was quite for a moment and then spoke again
"I do not know that with which you speak, you are no child of mine. I am a creation of Ionu the god of illusion I cannot have children. Never the less you may enter"
as soon as the head was finished speaking and opening was created from shifting tiles.
"oh,....um I am very sorry...well you're a very handsome looking head and um...I will give you an offering anyway"
sinoa nervously grabbed a small clump of his clay and worked it in his hands for a bit.
"I made you a bird" sinoa said while holding up the clump of clay that didn't resemble a bird even slightly. the head remained silent and sinoa left the poorly constructed clay bird on the path and then scurried off through the opening in embarrassment.
Sinoa
Pint Sized Musician

Words: 62630
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 3:35 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Licearsvansan on December 7th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Winter 2nd, 512 AV

Food. This was the sole thought that ran across Svan's mind as he approached the gates of Alvadas. While it was true that he still held a weeks worth of rations in his bag, it consisted entirely of oversalted and dried meats that even the greatest lover of jerky would frown upon. For Svan this had been all he has had to eat for the past month. Everyday, dawn till dusk there was nothing but jerky, jerky and more jerky. He had resorted to chewing leaves and bark to try to rid his mouth of the taste. But three days ago he had crossed a traveler who was fat and happy. The traveler, seeing Svan with piece of jerky wrapped in (what Sven guessed was a non-poisonous) leaf, suggested that Svan visit Alvadas and taste its unique cooking. Eager to taste something different Svan ran off in the direction he was told; completely missing a perfect opportunity to mug the man.

Now standing before the gate known as The Gaping Maw, Svan adjusted his voice with magic to hide his telltale hisss.
"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here", said the stone mouth in a voice that caught Svan well off guard.
Under his breath Svan swore lightly. He hadn't expected for it to talk, and more importantly he hadn't expected a glorified statue to start interrogating him. For Svan the proper response to such a question would be to explain that he wished to taste the food. Unfortunately his nature got the better of him and he replied, "Certainly nothing to cause trouble in this lovely city, in a voice practically slathered in dishonesty.
The statue remained silent for a moment, and Svan was all but physically kicking himself for his reply. Suddenly the gate spoke again, "Welcome to Alvadas-", it regarded him for the briefest of moments before saying, "-human."
The gateway opened and Svan rushed inside before it could change its mind. As he passed through the gates he wondered why the statue paused just before referring to him as human. He was unsure of whether the gate had been fooled to believe he was truly human, or if it wanted Svan to think that way. And if the latter, then were others in the city aware of his serpentine presence? "It doesn't matter" he muttered to himself, "I don't plan on staying long enough for anyone to have a chance to bother me."

Plans however, don't always play out as you think they will.
Last edited by Licearsvansan on December 9th, 2012, 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

To hide his dhani nature from anyone, Svan has taken measures to hide his lisp. As such, he will not have any extra "ssss" on his words unless indicated otherwise.
Licearsvansan
Reforming Dhani

Words: 361391
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2012, 1:56 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Artur on December 7th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Winter 12th, 512 AV

Artur was mixed with the incredible mix of anxiety and curiosity when Alvadas came closer into view, the Gaping Maw was now before him as he made his lazy approach to the entrance. Snow had been falling lightly, already creating a blanket that gave the ground a thin sheen crystal layer. Artur preffered sleeping around this time of the day, preferrably the year come to think of it. He was never one who liked the chilly winter, especially when he had clothes that were terrible at keeping the cold out. Finally a stone wall with a face stood before him, no seemed to he around to greet him though...until:
"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here."

Artur lept back put of shock when he looked around, searching for the source of this unknown voice. Yet his ear's had brought him back to the face, its eyes now piercing into his very soul. Artur's face became rather pale as he clearly never thought a stone could speak. "Well?"

"Um. Food?" Was all Artur could say as the lump in his throat would allow only so few words to escape. The face looked at him for a few bells intrigued, the finally spoke once more.

"Very well! Go on in, and try not to eat everything." It retorted to Artur as the door now opened, allowing the bear to go through. Artur did so cautiously now, for he didn't want any other unexpected stone or plant speak to him.
"Artur's words" Artur's thoughts "Others words"

Ricky
Scrapbook - Vlogs
Artur
Only slightly troubled.

Words: 182526
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2012, 3:54 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Casselle Hyrid on January 21st, 2013, 4:02 am

CODE: SELECT ALL

20th, Winter of 512 AV
It's been a long day. Week. Her Ankal, which would be her father tried to talk her out of it. He didn't want her traveling so far."I don't want you getting hurt. There is no man to travel with you. You are a good mother but I don't think you can manage Breanne on your own." He said. And he was just a tad bit right. Since she didn't have a man by her she was constantly being bothered and flirted with on the boat ride there. If it wasn't for Breanne and Laffi making trouble, she would've been bothered the whole time. Her mother was upset and wanted her. But she wanted to travel with her daughter by herself. No one else.

They were in front of the entrance. She sat on the yvas of her strider, holding a sleeping child with one arm. They stopped and Casselle was startled by the response she got. She cleared her throat to answer."I have come for the illusions, also the culture. I have traveled to see the great city."

Casselle Hyrid
Player

Words: 7765
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2013, 9:10 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Keelin on January 25th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Winter 56th day, 513

Keelin gazed up at the stone and cocked her head to the side. Stone didn't scare her. It wasn't her favorite, she preferred trees, but stone was manageable. She was a smaller wild cat. She could climb them easier than a lion or a tiger. That didn't change the fact that the stone face made her want to put her ears back, hiss, and challenge the thing. She knew it was pointless though. It was a rock. Her claws and teeth meant nothing to it. She doubted she would even graze the thing if she tried. Keelin had no doubt that if she were a cat right now every inch of her fur would be puffed up at the eerie sensation of being watched.

Shaking her head, Keelin shifted her backpack higher up onto her shoulder and walked closer to the big rock. "You have come in search of the City of Illusion." The voice boomed through her skull making her wince. Reaching up, Keelin covered her sensitive ears and glared up at the rock. Kelvic senses could be a curse sometimes. "Tel me, stranger, why are you here?" the voice continued.

"I've come as a visitor. I wish to see the wonders of this land and possibly find someone to bond with." Keelin answered. The rock didn't reply. Slowly, she uncovered her ears. It remained quiet until a grating sound began. As Keelin watched, the stone opened up to allow her entrance. She wrinkled her nose at the thought of entering its mouth. It felt like she was the hare she had caught that morning. Growling low in her throat, Keelin stalked into the mouth trying to ignore her uneasy feelings.
Keelin
Player

Words: 1452
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 4:54 am
Character sheet

Postby Ceruna on February 18th, 2013, 1:34 pm

64th of Winter, 512 AV

After almost 60 days of traveling with a continuously rocking ship Ceruna was more than happy to set her feet on solid ground. With a wave and a smile to the ship’s captain and the crew who were currently unloading the cargo, Ceruna happily breathed in fresh winter air and started walking on the only road, which lead away from the small port. She sincerely hoped that city would soon come in view; the horse Kelvic didn’t feel very safe while walking alone on a quiet, snowy road. And so she, slightly nervous, but none the worse for wear she came to a giant stone head. It was huge; she had to tilt her head back to see it properly. Its eyes seemed to follow her, but with a frown and firm head shake she dismissed that thought from her mind.

The exact moment the voice finished saying ‘’you’’ Ceruna was around and running away from the deep, rumbling voice. Not hearing anything following her she threw a glance over her shoulder, and after seeing that nothing big and intimidating was trying to catch and eat her, she stopped. Then she took a deep breath and slowly, carefully walked back. An amused smile seemed to have found its way on the creature’s mouth and the eyes were definitely looking at Ceruna. Nervously shifting her weight from one leg to other she answered the head.

‘’I am here to live for a while and learn.’’

A little bit embarrassed by the fact that her answer lacked the stone head's elegance and unsure if it even was the right answer she waited for a bit and it was rewarded with the stone mouth suddenly opening and creating a hole large enough for Ceruna to pass through. Slightly apprehensive of climbing in someone’s mouth she took a deep breath and stepped through.
Ceruna
Player

Words: 5790
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2013, 1:09 pm
Character sheet

PreviousNext