Location [Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

Postby Tanrea on March 1st, 2013, 7:46 pm

3rd of Spring, 512 AV

The suns light fell upon the olive skin of the woman as she made her way down one wooded path, or another. She was never quite sure in what direction she was going, for when she asked where the city "Alvadas" was no one ever gave her the same answer. Scratching her head she would look around through the dense trees on either side of her, yet no other woodland streets could be see, at least by her.

With a sigh she shook her head, adjusting the pack on her back, two hands gripping the straps, the other four crossing over her chest, "It really should not be so difficult to find. Isn't this supposed to be a city know for its Trade?"

With a sigh she turned, and found herself face to face with... a stone face? Her breath caught in her throat, and glancing over her shoulder back the way she had come. Eyes returning to the stone face she tilted her head, eyebrows raised, "Was this... always here?"

She took a few tentative steps forward, but stopped suddenly, eyes wide, as the face spoke.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Tanre blinked, mouth opening and closing a couple of times, but clearing her throat she steadied her already reeling mind to answer, "I've come to... Um I have come to see the sights?"

Was that the right answer? She wasn't sure, but after a chime of no answer, good nor bad, she would shrug and continue on through the gaping mouth that served as the gate to Alvadas.
Arumenic | Common
Tanrea
Player

Words: 5932
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2013, 2:45 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet

Postby Samantha Grenth on March 2nd, 2013, 6:02 am

Samantha walked out of the city without looking. Her pack dangled from her mouth and she sneered at anyone who passed and stared at her for too long.

Though she did catch a glimpse of a local 'friend' as he passed back into the city. Samantha was going home. Too much time had she spent in Alvadas and too much time she had left her father unattended.

Samantha pulled herself down the path and sighed, she didn't know if the journey was worth it anymore.

Samantha Grenth
Won't be home till night of 7/14!

Words: 82789
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2012, 6:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Durvekral Wormwood on June 7th, 2013, 1:53 am

Turned around at the gate. How humiliating. Although, the upfront display of their bigotry and hatred was refreshing. It's what Durvekral told himself anyway. At least Lhavit had the decency to tell you, right away, that you weren't welcome.

He felt that way in every city, but at least Lhavit was honest about it. It was the same refreshing, cynical honesty that he admired in Alvadas. Any place that told you flat out, "we don't like creatures like you," or "I'm going to change the city layout only to ruin your day" was okay with Durvekral.

He had fond memories of the brutally unassuming city of Sunberth for the same reason. His entry into the city was rough but after a few months, he knew what to expect in Sunberth. He knew, for the most part, how to prepare for it. And when he wasn't prepared, he at least knew how to survive there. That last part was the only part that mattered, anyway.

Now, Durvekral found himself trudging right back through the Gaping Maw. Back to the city that he had called home for the last few years. "Lhavit," the rumors told him. "There's a big contract for grabs in Lhavit." What a bust. By the time he had gotten there, there was no work to be had. No more positions available. It was the harsh reality of travel through Mizahar. Lesson learned. Durvekral would have to be swifter. He would have to keep his ear to the ground for more relevant and more applicable sources of income.

For now, licking his wounds and learning from mistakes didn't matter. The only thing that mattered now was swallowing his pride, finding his way to the Sanity Center and trying to get a job.
Durvekral Wormwood
Paranoia is a powerful weapon

Words: 77795
Joined roleplay: December 17th, 2012, 1:26 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sami on July 3rd, 2013, 4:55 pm

27th Summer 513AV

She had been staring at the stone face for a while now. Transfixed in place as she looked upon the carved stone that defined its features and certain that the rock had moved and blinked as she grew closer. Of course, the Inarta froze in spot, her shoulders sinking and her fingers wrapping around the bow. Was she going mad? She could not be. Right? There was a second hesitant step forward, eyes narrowing suspiciously upon it. No. No she was imagining things. Had to be.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?” was definitely not what she was expecting. Straightening she went closer and cocked her head in surprise. Well, it was certainly different. Leaning towards it with curiosity leading the way, the girl raised an eyebrow.
"A talking stone face. Right," she gave herself a firm pinch and winced "Nope. Not a dream." Rocking on her heels she looked upon the awaiting stone face and a prompt answer.

"I'm here because..." she licked her lips with thought "I'm here to gather, stock up and work before... well moving on in theory." Wind Reach was her true destination, her home that she was aiming for. But that was a region away across the dangerous unforgiving. There was no way she would be able to make it all the way. Not alone. Not with all those mountains and beasts in the way. She would be little more than a leaf in the wind. The stone face trembled and opened before her, turning into a gaping hole and entrance. There was one last look at the land behind her and the path she had taken. Her journey had taken her this far, and now it was just another step forward and onwards.
Nothin' but trouble...
Sami
Nothin' but trouble

Words: 75180
Joined roleplay: April 8th, 2013, 7:10 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Nisana Curare on July 16th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Season of Summer, Day 6, 513 AV

Already in a foul mood, her hunting trip had gone poorly, Nisana felt the irritation fueled press of her fangs extending slightly as she approached the talking head of Alvadas. It was such a ludicrous way to work entrance to a city, and it only made her long to return to the elegance and beauty of Kalinor.

"Not even the giant talking wall remembers you, huh?" Macka, the cat Kelvic, purred as he cleaned his paws next to her, "Guess you are just a forgettable and pathetic excuse for a huntress. Will your Web even recognize you if you ever return to Kalinor? Serena has probably already asked someone else to go on a Harvest for her..."

If the Kelvic had actually been there Nisana would have turned and fired an arrow into his head, but she was sure he was not. She'd left the Kelvic back in Riverfall, when she'd needed to make her hasty escape from the city, and the prospect of the lazy creature having found its way to Alvadas by itself was almost laughable. So she did her best to ignore the probable phantom, though her voice snapped with more irritation than she would have before as she replied to the door, "Let me in you azo. I have no patience for your game."

When the door finally opened to her Nisana stalked into the city with some resentment. Maybe she would have some luck this season, and she could finally return home. Even that prospect was less heartening though, as here people at least wouldn't look twice at someone speaking or reacting to something unseen to them...
"Moz seh krevas dav'ene obris zhevat."

Nisana has a few threads loose in her head. Anything written underlined in her posts is only in her perceptions, and should be ignored by anyone else. :)
Nisana Curare
Alt of Alenias, Proud Huntress

Words: 74590
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Character sheet

Postby Aurelia Skyglow on December 2nd, 2013, 3:10 pm

2nd day of Winter 513

Crush wrote:
“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Aurelia gazed bleakly at the stone head and slowly drew herself up in the saddle to answer it.
"I seek a refuge from persecution, if Morwen judge my case be just. I wish no resident harm."

To her greater surprise the head's mouth opened wide enough to allow both her and Gladiolus to enter.
Aurelia could hardly believe that she had finally made it to the city of Alvadas, which her father had often described with a deep affection. A faint smile plucked at her lips as she nudged the Frostmarch forward.
Aurelia Skyglow
Player

Words: 4559
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2013, 2:56 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Resuna on December 23rd, 2013, 10:01 pm

She was tired. Tired to her core. Her bare feet scuffed the ground as she went, too weary to lift them any higher. One would think that a girl of her age - sixteen, perhaps seventeen - would be far too young to feel this empty ache, but they would be wrong.

Resuna's eyes were almost vacant, lacking the shine excited youngsters should have. Dirty brown hair hung almost to her elbows and her clothing was grubby in most places.

She had come across the path the day before and had followed it almost robotically. Now she found herself looking up at a huge stone face that was blocking the road she walked upon. She stared at it blankly before it spoke.

She felt the sudden urge to run. Stone should not be talking; it should not be possible. But it was, and it was in her way.

"I want someplace to shelter."
It was the first thing that came into her mind. She had no idea what was actually behind the stone face, but she had a feeling that it would be a welcome sight.
She jumped violently as, without a word, the face opened it's mouth wide to reveal steps.
Stepping carefully, Resuna entered the maw to the most wondrous sight. A city. It was what she had been waiting for.
Resuna
Player

Words: 5752
Joined roleplay: December 22nd, 2013, 12:04 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Looty on February 3rd, 2014, 11:52 pm

Date: 4th of Winter, 513A/V
Time: Midday

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. - Lao Tzu

"I am home. I'm not going back, kid. And I'm not the only one, no one sails in winter...cept some of them Svefra."

"But I wanna go home!"

"Don't cry, kid."

"I'm not crying!" Looty responded angrily. "I wanna go home! Take me back, you stealer!"

The sailor rubbed his head then headed back to his ship. Looty was hot on his heels. "Take me home!"

Together Kelvic and sailor stepped onto the ship. The boards creaked. The sailor opened a box and withdrew a backpack. He faced his stowaway.

"This is your home now. Take this and--" Lott swiped with her human nails. Ineffective. The sailor picked up the backpack. If he was angry, he did not show it. Looty snarled. He calmly placed the backpack in her outstretched arms. He felt at fault but this was the best he could do. He was no caregiver. He'd leave her to the Sanity Center. "This is for you. Some clothes, food, money. Stuff. You take it and you walk to that wall right there because if I see you on my boat again I'll throw you overboard and leave you to the sea."

Looty did not watch him go. She disregarded his warning. The Kelvic rummaged through the backpack. There was indeed food.

"Go on."

Looty dressed. She walked.

~~~~~~~

"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?" A wall blocked her path. The headless voice did not speak again. Small lizards creeper along the walls, their beaded eyes glared then dismissed her. They continued on their way.

"City of Illusion?" Looty questioned. "Hey! I'm not strange!" The hair on the Kelvics armstood. She bared her teeth. "You're strange!"

Where are they? Humans stank of salt. The smell was not present. Looty regarded the wall. The protrusions distorted before her gaze. They make a face! The largest formed the nose, the roundest formed the eyes, the widest formed the cheeks, and the longest formed lips that moved.

"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, Stranger, why are you here?"

Kelvic stepped forward. Her shoulders slumped. Her teeth were still on display.

"I'm lost."

The lips gave way. Behind them was a mass of colors. The smell of salt permeated the air. Looty blinked slowly, and stepped through.
Looty
Lost Kelvic

Words: 18479
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2014, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Gadir Armband Pitrius on February 21st, 2014, 11:02 pm

Gadir sat in the front of the third caravan back, riding alongside the driver, another Isur that came as part of the trade caravan to Alvadas. Gadir traded some shielding glyphs for a ride to the city of illusion, where he planned to begin his life into adulthood.

As the trade caravan made it's way, the driver filled him in about the city, information that he needed badly to make it in this city. As they approached, the stone face became more and more into focus... almost clearly into focus as a living creature. He heard it as if it was right next to him as it addressed the first caravan.

"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Of course, they were there to trade. And since the city relied on that trade, the stone face opened up and they entered, heading straight to the bizzare. And bizzare it was.
Gadir Armband Pitrius
Player

Words: 6524
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2014, 7:32 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Darkalin Pinewood on May 30th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Day 8, Season of Spring, 514

The great face stared straight at me. It looked so real. The road seemed to go by slower as I walk towards the Great face. Did it just blink? I continue forward, close enough to the wall to wonder. Where are all the guards? I walk closer and closer, noticing how much detail it has.

"Welcome to the city of Illusion. Why have you come?" It said, surprising me. "Why I am here too seek a ship bound for Syliras." I say, my voice grim. "You may enter." It replied, its mouth opening wide. I walked forward, not knowing what was to happen.
"This is Common"
This is thoughts.
"This is Symenos"
This is Writing
Darkalin Pinewood
Player

Words: 17152
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2014, 12:20 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

PreviousNext