Preventing the Shattered Spirit[Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Re: Preventing the Shattered Spirit[Open]

Postby Kavala on March 12th, 2010, 7:20 pm

She was growing used to the fact that Hatot was selective about what he acknowledged and what he didn't talk about. That was fine with her, though, for she understood the more she was around the Akalak men that while they guarded and cherished the females among them, the females were never actually part of them or their culture. To a normal human, this would probably seem the oddest thing. But to a Konti it made sense, for her sisterhood was very similar in nature - regardless of where one grew up. Some things were racial regardless of cultural background. They couldn't be changed. Kavala had the feeling that the Akalak had many such issues. Stability being perhaps the primary problem the race suffered.

He made no comment to her revelation that she was a Nakivak, so she had no idea if it made her less interesting or more interesting as a person. Perhaps it simply didn't matter. And if that was the case, it was somewhat of a relief to her either way.

The Konti's attention snapped back to the training dummy and she absorbed the lesson carefully, placing into her memory the places Hatot considered important to pressure points. She almost wished she had a notebook or some sort of journal where she could take careful notes. Kavala decided as soon as she got home she'd settle in to write as much as she could about the things he told her, which weren't wholly unfamiliar based on the fact that she'd had anatomy classes studying at the Opal Temple in Mura. But he had her full attention and careful consideration as he manipulated the dummy and offered his explanations while he pointed out the spots he was highlighting verbally.

"I understand." She said carefully, nodding, when he seemed to pause then move into a deeper explanation about the flow of blood and djed. She wondered, then, if such things were true and that djed moved through the body the same way blood did. It was a fascinating thought, one she'd never paid much attention to before. But it merited further research and thought for certain.

Snapping her attention back to Hatot, while glancing around the room nervously for a moment to indulge in a stray worry as to what the boys must be thinking of her stealing their instructors undivided attention while they practiced. "I wouldn't want to impose on their practice time, but its not something I would reject. The training sounds very useful indeed. Yes I'd be interested." She said, looking thoughtful. Blocking pain was very helpful for her field, though causing it would not do much to eliminate most conditions unless it was a very special circumstance - such as reviving someone or checking to see if their nerves were damaged by say a spinal injury. She wasn't sure about the applications for self defense, but that would probably come out during the course of the training.

If he was willing to teach her, she'd be willing to learn for certain.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hatot on March 12th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Hatot gave a nod, reaching into his pack as he pulled out a small booklet from within. "You'll start as every student starts then," Hatot said casually, holding the book out to her. "This booklet contains the information of the various pressure points along a humanoids body, you can study it's markings and practice such along the training dolls. Later pressure points will be revealed once you have learned the basics."

Hatot then walked her over towards the sand filled bowls. "You will also need one of these so you can condition your hands and fingers," Hatot explained as he picked up a handful of sand before letting it slide out of his fingers and back into the bowl. "The metal worker in town can provide you with one to practice with at your home if you wish, but you may also use the ones within this building as well. I also suggest starting out with a less dense material to begin your conditioning such as rice or grain."

Hatot then heard the ripping of fabric as the Akalak children all stopped their training suddenly. Gazing over to the boys, he noticed the child on the far left had actually punctured the hemp fabric along the shoulder joint of the practice doll. The other two stepped away as the Akalak child slowly withdrew his hand from the doll, staring at his own fingers for a moment. He then immediately fell to his hands and knees towards Hatot, apologizing in their native tongue. "Excuse me a moment," Hatot said before slowly stepping over towards the practice doll the boy was practicing on. Removing one of his gauntlets, Hatot slowly ran his fingers over the holes in the practice doll, investigating the strike itself.

He then crouched down to the child, slipping his hand along his back. "The fabric used in these dolls tends to be weaker than the flesh," Hatot said in a calm voice. "You're strike wouldn't have punctured skin, and the very fact that you apologize to me means such a result was not intentional. The fact that it punctured the fabric means only that you've gotten stronger. Now, you simply need learn control. Rise, and train in that."

The Akalak child nodded as he slowly stood, all three students looking to Hatot as he began to slip his gauntlet back on. "This in itself is a lesson to the actual dangers in this form," Hatot then said, looking to Kavala as well. "There are those, such as Cerulean's, who would use this forms practice and teachings for more violent purposes as they break flesh and attempt permanent damage along pressure points, rather than simply hindering. They seek to intentionally cause harm and pain, and to see such is done over extended periods of time. While sometimes violence becomes unavoidable in these lands, it is something that should not be embraced or enjoyed. Such would make us nothing more than beasts."

Hatot then looked to the Akalak children, giving them another slow nod, encouraging them to continue. They did so without hesitation, and with the same concentration they had when starting. Hatot then walked back over to Kavala, his hands cupping behind his back once again. "For today, you should simply study the pressure points in the book, and possibly begin training on your hands using the bowl, plunging your fingers and hands into a light material at least fifty times," Hatot explained. "Tomorrow, we can begin a more physical aspect of your training as you begin work on avoidance and actually striking these points to increase your precision."

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 14th, 2010, 1:20 am

Kavala took the booket and thumbed through it, carefully keeping her attention on what Hatot was saying. She wasn't sure at all about this course of action. It w wasn't anything she'd even remotely considered before, though Akela had suggested it to her before. And also, the truth was, she wasn't certain she could actually harm anyone being marked by Rak'keli. Perhaps the one mark would allow it, but if she went further on that pathway, would it prevent her from harming at all, and only healing? As it was, she was compulsed to heal anyone - and had done so with her attackers - even as they had gotten done doing terrible things. The images still haunted her and made her wonder if this course was wise. Perhaps it would give her a strength of character she currently lacked, but would it bring more of a burden than a release? Azure eyes turned to study Hatot's form and wondered suddenly if she struck him with enough power to harm him if she would have to heal him as well, then and there, or if she could suppress the urge?

They were hard questions, and ones she wasn't sure the Akalak would acknowledge if she asked. Surely there were men among his people that were so gifted by Rak'keli as well. But how did they handle combat? Her eyes dropped from the man's form down to the pamphlet to review the pressure points again. It would take studying long hours to remotely gain any sort of insight as to where they were and what part of the body they effected. Still, it was valuable knowledge to a healer. "Thank you." She said abruptly, though her voice still wavered slightly with uncertainty.

She looked carefully at the sand-filled bowl and watched a boy use it curiously. It seemed to add resistance to the muscles in the fingers, building up their strength. Kavala nodded. "There are bowls at Sanctuary and a great deal of sand on the beach." She added. Putting something together like that would not necessarily be a burden. After all, no one would accuse her of using her bowls for actual cooking, now would they? A smile fluttered across her face momentarily, and she almost laughed as she imagined Akela walking in on her working her hands in a bowl of sand, and then commenting in her usual acidic manner as to the fact that bread required flour not sand as an ingredient.

While Hatot dealt with the tear, Kavala gave the bowl a try on her own and immediately noted it was harder than it looked working the damp sand with her fingers. She raised a pale eyebrow however when Hatot called the group together for a lesson, and spoke of the Cerulean and their use of the same teaching for harm rather than defense. Having never heard the term before, Kavala softly cleared her throat, glanced at the various boys, and carefully asked a question. "I don't understand. What are Ceruleans?" Kavala asked, noting the mood in the room turned somehow more intense, more hesitant as soon as the question was out. She almost regretted asking it, but she was curious and wanted to understand.

When Hatot spoke again, Kavala nodded. "I will study the book and work with the sand. I just have one question more though... one that is important before I return tomorrow. Why are you willing to teach me this? It seems an artform your people hold close. Perhaps sacred." She had no money to pay him, not really, for all her available coin was being poured back into the running of Sanctuary. But it was best she asked him anyhow, to hear his answer, so she'd know whether to return or not.

Once he'd answered, she moved over to the sand bowls and began working her hands in the light material while leaving the little book opened to the first page so she could study it while she counted to fifty.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on March 14th, 2010, 2:41 am

Hatot stood there for a moment, looking to his students continuing their practice before his gaze fell to Kavala once once. Leaning forward, bringing his face closer to hers, he said in a soft whisper, "To answer your first question, Ceruleans are Akalak's who have embraced their darker sides, and abandoned all that would have kept them balanced. They are still allowed within the city and generally take on certain........... duties that are less than desirable. You can recognize them by the tattoos that mark their faces. I advise that if you can, avoid them. If you can't, use extreme caution. For they have no morals that would stay their hand in any situation that caused it to be raised. This is something not well known either, and I would appreciate such talk be left between us."

Hatot then slowly straitened himself upright once more looking to her as he barely hesitated in answering her second question. "Because, while I see hesitation in your eyes, you still wish to learn. What you do with what you've learned, is up to you," Hatot explained, "Thus far, teaching provides me with a sense of purpose. For my family, because of my own inner struggle, I may not be suitable to become a warrior. I can, at least then, bring worth to my people by teaching those who can. With you, I see someone who feels like they must walk along eggshells in a place she could call home. Whether that is due to your status as Nakivak, or something else, I do not know, but I hope that with this, and some practice in meditation, you might begin to feel a little less awkward at least."

Hatot then placed his hand on the book. "In the end, it's your decision. I will force nothing upon you," Hatot then said. "So long as you are willing to learn from me, I will be willing to teach you. For tonight, simply study the booklets contents. Tomorrow morning I'll be out near the waterfall. It's normally where I start my day. You can let me know then what you decide."

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 14th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Kavala froze when Hatot leaned closer. Her eyes glanced away uncertainly, then darted back to stare at him as she realized he was only keeping his voice down because of the others in the room. So, that was what the Cerulean were. And their tattoos gave them away. Iridescent scales shimmered as she took a breath and seemed to look deeply into him. "And what about those on the cusp? Those that wear no tattoos? The ones only allowed to fight where they can be monitored - the ones whom others look at cautiously out of the corner of their eyes wondering when they are going to snap? The ones like you." Kavala asked softly, not really sure she'd get an answer.

But he had something else to add, a chord that he struck in her that was almost the truth but he had missing pieces. Hatot wasn't a fool. Kavala could tell that immediately. Her struggle wasn't what he perhaps thought it was. It wasn't the obvious one. "I take no shame in what I am. And I find no fault in what I owe Riverfall. I have my life and I am unbelievably grateful for it. There is no burden in me about that, Hatot. Please don't think that. Don't ever think that. I want to live a really long time and do things with my life. Because of the people here, I am going to be able to see my life through without it being cut senselessly short and all for a Zith's meal or an unscrupulous man's pleasure. That isn't what I'm afraid of. That isn't it at all." Kavala said, her words not whispered for she wanted the boys in the room and anyone else that might overhear to understand that she felt no shame in Riverfalls lifestyle or its traditions. The men here were honorable, trustworthy, and deserved far more than they asked of her.

"I am a healer, Hatot. I am marked by Rak'keli. I do not know if you understand what that means. If someone is harmed, I have to heal them or do what I can for them. There is no choice because of the gnosis. It is a powerful thing. I am afraid because of it. I am afraid to fight because if I strike a man down, even one deserving of such a thing, will I then have to fall to my knees and lay my hands upon him to right the injury I've done to him? I see only one pathway. I see fighting for me as nothing halfway. It is death or nothing, for if there is only wounds, I will have no choice in setting the body to rights. I don't understand if this is Rak'keli's burden ... Her way of making sure we understand if violence is appropriate. But it scares me. I ended up here, in Riverfall, because I took a spill off a horse I rode into a slaver's trap. You can imagine what it is like, fighting for your life as they do unspeakable things to you. But it is harder still to see the scratches and bite marks on their bodies from your own struggles, afterwards, and being compelled to heal them."
Kavala said, perhaps in the longest sentence she'd yet made before the Akalak. The words contained the root of her problem and the core of her anxiety and fear. She would have to fight to the point of death, because otherwise as one of Rak'keli's own, she'd be compelled to heal. It was a vicious circle of uncertainty.

She nodded as he left the decision up to her. Kavala left the words hanging between them and departed after promising to do what she said she would - practice with the sand and study the booklet. And surprisingly enough, the next day, she was back - at the same time - walking herself through the facility and meeting with the other boys in the same room. She was dressed in loose black cotton pants and a sleeveless black tunic. Her hair was caught up in a ponytail and there was a fiercely determined look on her face as she took her place at the sand bowls and warmed up with the rest of the boys.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on March 15th, 2010, 1:55 am

The next morning, when Kavala arrived to the practice room, she found that one of the students had been missing. After her and the other students had practiced for a short bell, there was a small commotion heard outside of their room. Peeking outside of the door, the third student of Hatot's was speaking to one of the assistants to the Grand Master. The assistant slowly looked up towards the exit, before looking to some of the students within the building. Quick, sharp orders were given as the Assistant called upon five other students, were called upon as all of them began heading for the exit, Hatot's name coming up in conversation as well as the word "confrontation." Hatot's student looked over to both Kavala and the other students as well, motioning for them to come with as he moved out of the exit as well.

Following along, the group made their way through the city, heading for the gates. The Assistant and his students kept quiet, and tried to avoid gazes as they made their way, trying not to draw a crowd in the process. Upon stepping out of the city gates, the men hurried around the cities outer walls that ran adjacent to the river. Not far from there, they found what they sought as Hatot was currently backing away slowly from a man who screamed insults and obscenities to Hatot's face, holding a short sword in his direction.

"I'll have your guts over the ground, you petching shyke," the man, obviously inebriated, shouted at Hatot. "You crushed my jug of wine!"

Hotot kept his hands up in a defensive posture as he continued to slowly back away from the human. "I swore to you that I did not see you, or your jug laying near the river like that. As well, I apologized and offered to replace your damaged jug as well as it's contents," Hatot said as his head suddenly jerked back when the man swung his sword at Hatot's face. "Please, I urge you from further taking this course of action. I really do not wish to fight you."

The assistant stopped, suddenly holding his arms out to block the progress of the students. "Wait for now," he simply said. "Hatot may be able to handle this lout without slipping."

Hatot continued to move back, staying out of the range of his swing. His body seemed to move quickly, despite his size. Such was displayed when Hatot leaned back, and turned, slipping around behind his attacker when he was getting too close to the city walls. "Please, stop. I implore you," Hatot pleaded again, his arms still raised slightly motioning for his attacker to stop.

The human just screamed in reply, as he turned, stumbling over his own feet slightly in his hazed state, but maintaining his balance as he lunged forward, his sword held overhead. He swung the sword down towards Hatot's head. This time, however, Hatot did not back away, as he raised his left arm. There was a loud ping that rang out in the air as the blade of the human's sword came slammed into the metal teeth of Hatot's gauntlet. The teeth along the forearm of the gauntlet finally came into play as it grasped the edge of the blade, halting the swords movement. "Drunken fool," Hatot responded harshly as his finger's along his right hand extended, tightening before his hand was thrust upwards quickly. The movement itself was almost a blur of motion as the tips of Hatot's fingers jammed into a small pit like area found along the human's elbow joint. The force disturbed the small bundle of nerves there as a tingling sensation entered the man's forearm quickly after.

The man stumbled backwards, a grimace appearing on his face as his free hand quickly reaching over as he grasped his elbow. His sword suddenly dropped to the ground as he began to flick his hand through the air as though it were burning. A look of anger crossed the man's features as he looked to Hatot, almost growling in reaction. "Stop this now," Hatot then said, no longer pleading. "If you continue this course of action, I can not guarantee that you will escape without serious harm."

The human didn't listen as he rushed forward at Hatot, his left hand extended outwardly, reaching for Hatot's throat. Hatot extended the fingers along both of his hands this time. Quckly stepping to the right said, his left fingers were brought in a downward motion this time, the tips jabbing along the man's wrist joint as his arm shot down for a moment and he gave a quick grunt of pain. Hatot followed up as the finger's along his right hand jabbed into the man's side, stretching skin between ribs for a split second as the tips of his fingers sent a vibration through the man's left lung, forcing the air out of it as the man now stumbled to his side, coughing loudly as he tried to catch his breath.

The man looked down to his left hand, as a welt appeared where Hatot had stuck him. His fingers slowly opened and closed, and judging from the shaking in his hand and the frustrated expression on the human's face, it appeared they were not moving at the speed they normally did. He screamed out once again as he turned to Hatot, swinging wildly at Hatot's head with his right hand as it appeared feeling had once again returned there. Hatot quickly ducked, with his legs already spread slightly, his upper body moved sideways towards it's left. The fingers along his right hand thrusting with the movement as they jabbed at the knee right joint, just behind the kneecap of the human. The man yelled out in pain and began swinging his right arm back as Hatot began to rise. Hatot's body then leaned backwards as the human's forearm swung just shy of hitting Hatot, close enough that he could feel the breeze that the motion left in it's wake. As Hatot straitened himself once more, his right fingers were already on their path as the fingers jammed into the human's shoulder joint where it met the color bone as the man's arm suddenly dropped to it's side for a split second. Hatot then quickly followed up as his body crouched and his left fingers were brought down just along the top of the Human's left kneecap. The human dropped to the ground suddenly as it appears all of his weight had been currently supported on his left leg along after Hatot struck his first knee.

The whole while, both Hatot's students and the other Akalak's watched with blank expressions, even when Hatot evaded a strike and scored a successful blow. It's not that they didn't cheer him on, it's more that they stood there, prepared to move in the event he didn't evade a blow. They studied the fight, their muscles tense with preparation if that event would occur. They then looked as though they were about to breath a sigh of relief as the human dropped to the ground, his left hand grasping his right shoulder in pain. Hatot slowly bowed his head to the human. "I'm sorry it had to come to this," Hatot calmly said before turning around to greet those who had arrived.

Then movement caught the Assistant's gaze, and his look turned to one of surprise and nervousness as he saw the human reach down with his left hand, grasping the short sword he had fallen right beside. Before he could utter warning, the human swung. The strike was no where near the strength that it would have been earlier, but it was strong enough that, when off guard, it cut into the calf muscle of Hatot's right leg deeply as Hatot dropped to his left knee, his eyes slamming shut and his teeth gritting as his right hand grasped the wound. There was no scream of pain, but rather a sputtering of hisses as Hatot held his breath, trying to suddenly ignore pain all together.

The human slowly raised the sword for another strike, one that would finish Hatot off, but before he could even fully raise his sword, a thunderous scream of rage echoed out of Hatot's mouth as his head suddenly tipped back. A look of fear then crossed the human's face as Hatot quickly spun around to face him. Hatot's face was contorted in rage, his eyes seeming to be red in color as opposed to the golden color they usually were. Hatot issued no warning, no threat. There were no words spoken anymore as Hatot simply growled with anger, his right hand snatching out, gripping the human by his left wrist and began to squeeze. The human quickly began to scream as a popping sound chirped from the human's wrist as he suddenly dropped his sword to the ground. Hatot's left hand snatched out, grasping the human by his throat as the human's screams were replaced by choking sounds, those sound slowly giving way to a gurgle as blood began spattering out of the human's mount. Hatot leaned forward, his grip still tightening as he forcefully pushed the human to his back, slamming his head along the ground. Another scream echoed out from Hatot as he raised his left hand, closing it into a fist, bringing it slamming down along the Human's face.

Then, when Hatot raised his fist once again, he found his movement's halted. While everyone else had been still recovering from their surprise at the release of Hatot's darker half, the Assistant to the Grand Master was already reacting as one of his hands grasped along the underside of Hatot's left wrist, avoiding the teeth that ran along the top of the gauntlet. His other hand quickly reached over Hatot's right shoulder, hooking Hatot underneath his arm. The Assistant began pulling Hatot back, trying to wrench him free from the Human. Hotot, however, suddenly planted his feet as he wrenched his left arm free and leaned forward with as much force as he could muster, lifting the assistant off his own feet as he was flipped forward off Hatot's back by the sudden movement. Hatot seemed to ignore the source of the sudden interference as he refocused on the human. His left foot slammed into the human's left shoulder as he almost stood on top of the man. Then, grasping the human's left hand with both of his own, Hatot suddenly began to pull. The man let out a scream of pain that matched the volume of Hatot's scream of rage simultaneously. Tendons, muscle, veins and skin suddenly broke free from each other without a solid bone to hold them in place any longer as Hatot ripped the man's hand clean off from the point of the where Hatot had broken the man's wrist. Hatot quickly tossed the appendage aside to the ground as he began to raise both of his fists into the air, about to bring them down upon the human as he cried out in pain.

The Assistant once again stopped Hatot's action as he this time came running at Hatot, slamming his shoulder into Hatot's midsection and tackling to the ground. This time, however, he was not alone in his endeavor, as the other he had brought with him came to help. All of them struggled, with grunts of strain and gritted teeth, as the Assistant repeatedly yelled out orders for the group to hold Hatot down. Hatot's screams of rage continued to echo out, as he repeatedly attempted to force his subduers off of him. Hatot's students looked on with blank expressions, but their eyes betrayed a hint of concern for their teacher.

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 16th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Kavala was a little worried when the Akalak hadn't shown up to class. Of course she had no idea if this was like him or not, her one experience with him having seen him come into the class late. It was awkward for her, standing by the door, not sure what to do, when one of the three young men came up to her and offered her a bow. "I am Nubin. Will you come to the dummy beside my own?" He asked. She returned his bow and followed him, unsure if he'd been instructed to be welcoming or if it had bothered him that she loitered by the doorway. Kavala walked over to the dummy, standing in front of it in the same manner Nubin was, and hesitated again. The boy smiled, came over to stand beside her and reached out with his toe to tap on one of her feet. "Further apart for better balance. Stand as wide as your shoulders are like this..." The boy demonstrated a wide stance, knees slightly bent, and body aligned with that of the stuffed form before it. She copied the stance, then noted he was breathing oddly almost calmly. In for four heatbeats, hold it, out for six hearbeats. She mimicked his movements and then glanced at him curiously as if to say 'What next?'.

"Now, remember your readings. You have studied the book. Reach up, hands like this...."
He took her hand and arranged her fingers into solid deadly spears, and showed her how to start working on patterns on the dummies. She did so, following his advice while standing side by side with the boy. They called out the points they struck in unison, and pretty soon the whole class was at the work until the interruption.

The rest of the class was immediately tense and on their feet to follow the older Akalak. Kavala came with them, uncertain what was wrong, but glad she could keep up when they all started jogging to evidently where a situation was unfolding. There was a calm sense of horror among the students, even Nubin, as they stood watching. When the first blow struck, Kavala broke out into a sweat. She could feel the moisture gathering on the small of her back. as she watched the violence unfold. Kavala had seen violence before, of course, even some of it directed at her. But it was fascinating watching it slow boil and then explode with a certain ruthless viciousness that was wholly unexpected.

It stunned the konti healer.

Kavala stood silent for the duration of the fight, shaking lightly as each blow landed and flesh bent and twisted under the expulsion of anger. It didn't end for Kavala when the other Akalak's took Hatot down. There was still a man laying there without a hand and with a crushed throat. When the attention was off him, she moved forward, compulsion driving her. Kneeling by the gravely wounded man, she pulled off her belt, wrapped it around the man's wrist, and cinched it tight to keep the blood flow cut off. Then, drawing her dagger, she settled herself by his throat and cut into his trachea so that he could breath. Holding it open with her hands, Kavala assessed the rest of his condition and knew immediately that he had a pierced lung by the gurgling breath. His blue almost pale lips gave away his lack of circulation and blood loss... and even as she moved to do more... he shuddered. Blood gurgled out his already abused face and he gasped through the hole in his throat. Eyes opened wide, bulged, and she felt the body beneath her shudder and pass to the beyond.

It was his drunkenness, the thinness of his blood, the sudden abuse of the attack that had taken his life. The broken rib might have even punctured more than his lung. The Konti picked up her hands, which were bloody, and stared at them a moment before rising to her feet. She leaned forward, using her bloody digits and closed the mans eyes. With his death, the compulsion vanished for him and redirected to the Akalak laying on the ground. It wasn't a driving need though so she slowly stood, took a step back, and wiped the bloody hands down the sides of her pants. She took a good long look at the men holding the other down, and waited.

Now was not the time.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on March 17th, 2010, 4:44 am

Hatot continued to scream, it's echo reaching across the river as wildlife came to life in a scared run. Gradually, however, the screams slowly began to decline, in both volume and frequency until there was nothing more than heavy, rasped exhales. Hatot's arms still pushed up tensely with resistance as the other students held him firmly to the ground. The instructor repeatedly telling Hatot to calm himself. A slow growl finally escaped Hatot's lips as he glared at the instructor. "Get off me you miserable excuse for a fighter!" Hatot screamed in a gruff raspy voice as he bore teeth towards the Akalak. "If you were really as good as you claim to teach, you would have had me drooling along the ground before I ripped that fool of a drunkard that Hatot managed to get himself hit by."

"So you've finally come out, Radris," the instructor then said as he slowly released his grip and stood up, giving a nod to the other students as they released their grips as well.

"Yes, I have," Radris said suddenly jerking his arms from the loosened grip of some of the children as he sat up. "That little weakling Hatot couldn't handle the pain, whining like he always did, hiding himself away. So who has to come out here and pick up his mess?"

Radris suddenly held his hands out as he began circling, looking to the other students to answer his rhetorical question. "Me!" he suddenly screamed, almost directly into the instructor's face before he finally poked a single finger into his chest. "And next time, next time you interrupt me from my prey, I'll turn my attentions to you, and they won't be as gentle as the drunkards treatment."

The instructor didn't looked fazed at the threat at all, but simply motioned to his own students as they all began making their way back towards the city. Radris finally shot a harsh gaze to his own students. "What are you three doing out here?" Radris said sharply with a slight hiss in his voice before pointing back towards the city gates. "You weaklings aren't nearly good enough to simply be gawking at your better's fight. Back to your training, or else you'll spend the day sparing with me instead."

The three Akalak children suddenly gave a bow before turning and running full speed back towards the city. Radris' arms dropped to his sides. He then slowly turned, a faint reddish hue still overtaking the normal golden iris as he stared directly into Kavala's. "And what are you staring at breeder?" Radris said harshly as he took sudden steps towards her, invading her personal space and whispering in her ear in that gruff rasped voice, "Avert your eyes before I decide to choose you to bear my young."

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 17th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Kavala flinched every time Radris spoke. She flinched when he said the word "Me!" and she flinched when he ordered his students back to their training. Her eyes cast down to her hands that were still lightly tinged with blood and then lifted to meet Radris' gaze once more. Fear drained out of her though, staring at him, she was reminded of Navis and how misunderstood and how unjustly he'd been treated by Sorian which had in fact driven him to his violence. She took a deep breath, then a second, and started feeling slightly better after the queasy sensation of the man dying beneath her hands.

When Radris' attention finally settled on her she took another deep breath and only flinched slightly as he demanded to know what she was looking at. He advanced closer, one of Navis' tactics, and whispered a threat in her ear. She closed her eyes a moment, took a step back, and suddenly started to laugh. It struck her as funny, though she couldn't have said just way. And once she started laughing, she didn't seem to be able to stop. It was a soft mirthful laugh that filled the air between and around them and took complete control of her body.

An Akalak healer, or perhaps another konti more gifted at people than Kavala was would have recognized it immediately. She was just a little bit effected by shock due to the violence and the death of the man as she tired to save him. The laughter was a direct result of that, capturing her swiftly unaware and keeping her locked in its grip.

She widened her eyes, lifted her hand to her lips to cover them and kept laughing. There was no fear in her eyes, only surprise, as she looked the monster in his face and met his dark rage with mirth. "You... are...." She started, faltered with more laughter and then continued. "Going to have to do ... better than that... if you want to threaten me." Shes said finally. "I'll look wherever I please, you lousy excuse for a brother. I can't believe Hatot has to put up with you." Kavala said, deliberately baiting him.

The Konti should have been afraid, but truthfully she wasn't. There was part of her that hoped he'd take another step forward and lay his hands on her, strike her... it was no less than she deserved at times. The dangerousness of the man before her drew her, fascinated her, and made her take a closer look. "And as far as that goes... the rest are cowards too because they just left you out here, after you killed a man in front of the whole lot of us. I hope your happy. Impressive. And for the record, I wouldn't bear your young if you were the last Akalak alive and I had no other options. Keep your filthy hands off me and your breath out of my face." She said, suddenly angry, suddenly baiting him onward acutely aware they were now alone. "That man was just drunk... thats all. He didn't deserve death. And everyone knows.. it takes a hell of a weak man to kill someone weaker than they are just because they can. That's a bloodline that doesn't need to be carried on. Stupidity like that doesn't deserve to breed." She said, angry now, finally and reached out with her small white hand to plant it firmly in the middle of his chest and push him away.
/
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hatot on March 17th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Radris's face contorted in to a knot as the red hue in his iris' became a little deeper when Kavala spoke back to him. His hand snatched out, grasping her by the wrist of the hand she used to push him away with. He slowly began applying pressure, the strength increasing with every second that passed as it started out as a slight sting, but increased in pain as his grip tightened. When she tried to pull away, his other hand snatched out, grasping her by the front of her shirt as he pulled her back. He stared into her eyes as his face of anger slowly loosened up. "You've got quite a mouth on you, little Konti woman," Radris said with a slight growl before finally releasing his grip on her wrist and pushing her back. "Too bad you don't know what it's should be used for."

He towered over her, a glare shooting out from his eyes before a slight gruffed exhale was released. "Hurting you wouldn't be worth it. Some drunk who didn't know when he was in over his head?" Radris said, motioning to the dead man. "Hatot will hang his head in shame likely hide himself away."

He leaned forward, his gaze traveling over Kavala's frame for a moment. "You though? You're special to that weakling, a new student. Further more, one that interests him," Radris said before straitening himself. "If I hurt or killed you, Hatot would likely throw himself off the waterfall, and I have no defense against that."

Radris then slowly turned as he began making his way back towards the city. "Furthermore, I don't need to justify myself to you," Radris said as he reached over his shoulder, pulling his white cloak off his frame before tossing it to the ground Unlike Hatot, Radris felt no need to hide himself with a hood and cloak. "If the man didn't want to get hurt, he should not have become so addicted to liquor that losing it would drive him into a frenzy. If he didn't want to be killed, he should not attempt to take someones life unless he expects such in return. Not everyone is so willing to turn the other cheek as you do, little flower"

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

PreviousNext