(Old leg's wharf)A Guard's Duty (Zenai)

Old Legs is searching for people to work the boards and guard various merchants stuff as its brought to the ships.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Archelon on October 24th, 2011, 4:02 pm

oocThough I hate using them myself, I'ma gonna Show you through 'contextuals for the next round of posting. Basically in any modded thread, you don't want to call damage on a central figure / antagonist unless directly allowed b4 hand. But I do like the situational development and skill use of swordsmanship. Keep it up :). Still no killing Rykol now XD.

Underneath the isurian steel faceplate. Rykol grinned as he felt the impact of Zenai's sword as it whipped him around on his axis, it was a painful blow to be sure but his right hand still clutched his longsword. If Zenai had good eyes, he might have followed up this loss of solid footing for an easy mark. Or would he? IfSee what I'm starting here? the man ducked forwards for another strike, he would have been met by the challenge of a stilletto springing out of the man's plated gauntlet, rising to block such a blow.

If he did not, Rykol would wildly swing the gauntlet accessory wildly towards Zenai, looking much the fool.See how I ended that contextual? In actuality, the man was none of these things. The helmet was damaged, slightly but enough to crumple the viewing slat closed, leaving the dragoon half blind in one eye as he lurched forwards trying to lash out out a leg to trip the Fish...
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 24th, 2011, 4:27 pm

oocAh, I got it. Sorry about that :P

Zenai being a little bit cautious took a step back when he smashed into Rykol's faceplate with the pommel of his sword. He doesn’t want to go overboard with his offense. Rykol, still to seem be able to see through his damaged faceplate, was going for Zenai’s leg but Zenai again swung both his blades so it parried Rykol’s low blow. Zenai had to be weary if Rykol decided to use his “other weapons.” No telling what he’s got under that armour. Still, Zenai still had his elbows and knees; probably some of the more underrated arsenal available to people.

Again, Rykol went for a downward cut but Zenai decided to dodge it instead of blocking it. As Rykol brought his sword down, Zenai spins away from the strike to Rykol’s left and around to Rykol’s back where he would be the most vulnerable. Unfortunately, plate armour makes bladed weapons almost ineffective and Zenai doesn’t have clubs with him. He has to make do with whatever he has now and he does so with his knees and pommels. Using the momentum from the spin, Zenai kicked into Rykol’s undefended side while also going for another pommel strike into Rykol’s head. Hopefully, it dazes him further.

oocIs this better?
Green is when I'm speaking Common.
Blue is when I'm thinking in my Mind.
Teal is when everybody else is speaking.
Red is when I'm speaking Nari.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Words: 201414
Joined roleplay: October 3rd, 2011, 2:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Archelon on October 24th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Zenai's knee into Rykol's side merited him a moment of respite as the Dragoon made a tactical decision to use the momentum of the blow to stagger forwards towards the other end of the docks before turning around to chuckle.
"Oy you lilly livered Fishlet, that was a good move to be sure. But sadly, your time's not quite up yet. Neither in this life, though it may be short, nor in this fight. A round's a round, and soon I'll have to step this up a notch now, won't I? Just a means to separate the boys from the men... though both die as easily with a sword in their guts. You would know about that wouldn't you boy? Or maybe we'll just find out if your blood's as red as the next corpse together?"

The Dragoon paused a moment and then flourished with his sword, swiping it back and forth in a few cuts, chops and slashes. The flurry enacting a sort of defense to keep zenai away as he advanced slowly. It seemed the dragoon's objective was to control the space that Zenai could maneuver and that footwork would be key for the man to have a hope of not only evading, and blocking. But to secure an attempt at a counterstrike.

oocShow me some blocks and footwork, concentrate on detailing the style Zenai is using, not really the names, but what he does with each weapon in each hand simultaneously as he 'dances' to Rykol's tune...
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 24th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Zenai was doing well it seems but Rykol has finally decided to step up his game and looks like Zenai to step up his as well. The flurry of slashes and cuts Rykol was doing are mostly for distraction and intimidation. Zenai took a moment or two to relax his body for a bit. It won’t do him good if he attacked in a panicked rush. He thought for a bit and it paid off, Zenai noticed that he’s at one end of the dock and Rykol can easily push him off if he wishes. Zenai would need to be careful with his next few moves otherwise it’s going be a messy day at the docks. Looks like there’s not a whole lot of room left so he decided to run towards Rykol with arms outstretched with his talon swords.

He charged at Rykol who’s still making a flurry of strikes with his longsword. Zenai took his right blade and tried to knock Rykol’s sword away but Rykol easily saw this move and parried it. Once he knocked Zenai’s sword away, he tried to swing back his sword for hit against Zenai. Luckily for Zenai, he had his other blade free and parried Rykol’s own blow that would have decapitated Zenai. The process was repeated; Zenai would try to hit Rykol with his right sword in an attempt to keep him off-guard and opening him to Zenai’s own strikes, Rykol would either parry or dodge out of the way thus rendering Zenai’s own attacks ineffective then going for his own attacks and finally, Zenai with his the other sword made sure that Rykol’s blows doesn’t connect with any of Zenai’s body parts especially his head and legs. Zenai is pretty much using his dual-wielding as a mixture of both offense and defense; using one sword to attack and the other to defend. After a few blows, training, experience and instinct took over; he isn’t actively thinking his moves but rather his senses and muscles already knew what to do. His inner being already on survival mode; fighting to kill rather than be killed.

All he needs to do it to make sure that Rykol doesn’t have an inch forward. Every step Rykol takes back, Zenai immediately takes a confident step forward. Strike him, see him step back a bit, take that bit and hold that bit with everything he’s got. No going back. Going back means losing. Losing means dying. Dying isn’t what he wants. Winning is what he wants. Zenai is still suspicious about Rykol’s other moves. He hasn’t use any kicks or punches like Zenai did. Zenai made sure his footwork was solid but flexible enough that he doesn’t get tripped by any sneaky tricks.

oocSorry, I didn't write much about the footwork. Don't know much as I don't look at my own two feet too often :P
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Archelon on October 24th, 2011, 5:51 pm

About a hundred feet away...

Along the docks, a man flanked by three guards walked. A man with a symbol of a scarlet dagger on his shoulder, a man few knew as one of Robern's chief officers of the Daggerhand. Raynor, Captain of the Sea Tarrif's keep. He was making his way back to old legs wharf, when in the distance the sight of a fully armored dragoon with his mount caught his eye. The dragoon it seemed was playing with another person on the docks, goading them into a match it seemed.

For a moment he stood amused, until his eyes wandered to Carsten's face. He recognized her as a 'Tagger', one of the guards from Old Leg's side business when he wasn't mending the docks or serving as Robern's men's ferry over to the isle. In fact, that was where Raynor was heading back now. Growling in consternation, the captain and his three daggerhands began to push through the crowds which were gathering to watch the scene as the dragoon's attacks upon the man intensified... and brought him to his knees after responding to a series of blocks, kicks and counters. After receiving some punishment, it seemed the dragoon decided to push the other man back, launching a series of kicks and leg sweeps as he began to put an end to the facade.

Like a cat toying with a mouse , he saw the dragoon's blade flash in the sunlight as it began to twist and turn. The flat of the blade being used to 'tenderize' his newest adversary in a series of hits which were bound to cause bruises later.

Raynor recognized the armor now, it was Rykol's, a sort of man the daggerhands watched out for as he was as cruel and vicious as anyone of them. Worse, now it seemed he was messing with a Tagger, playing with him as if he was some chew toy... and a heavy kick would hit Zenai in the chest, bowling him over backwards.

It was time to step in. The crowd grew silent daggerhand captain pushed past Carsten, a few people recognizing the murderer for what and who he was. The daggerhands top dog-warrior. A figure that stood immutable in the face of countless odds, and won his way back to the living through the corpses of his enemies. He was... simply Raynor.

The Daggerhand's hand whipped out to the side and a thrown dagger appeared sticking in the planking of the docks between the two combatants. "HOLD RYKOL! LEST YOU WOULD RATHER FACE ME!"

For a moment, all combat died as the Dragoon froze, Rykol's sword held steady above his head preparing to chop down deep into Zenai's neck as the dragoon's eyes turned."Well well... look what we have here? Come to watch the free show?"

Carsten took this instant to dart forwards and lay one hand on the Fish's arms, "For the love of the gods, stay down and be quiet Zenai. Please."

ooc"Flesh out the dragoon's counterattack a little more if you want earn an extra point or two :). Then have the reaction. I'll allow you to manipulate Carsten a little here if you two want to have a muttered conversation before the dragoon and the daggerhand speak. :)
[/color]
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 24th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Okay, not doing so good now… Zenai's last proper thoughts before Rykol pummeled more blows into his head and body. Hit after hit struck Zenai, he almost lost all feeling to his body but it was just enough so he knew that his body almost had enough and was going to give out. Initially, Zenai was doing fine for about five seconds. Then the rest was just Rykol laughing and beating the sense out of Zenai. Rykol is indeed more than a match for Zenai and Zenai felt he was the biggest idiot in the entirety of Mizahar to actually challenge him.

Zenai had a good strategy and tactic in mind but his skills weren’t up to it. After the 11th parry by Zenai, Rykol had actually opened up a strike to decapitate Zenai and Zenai saw it well enough. His face went pale as the dragoon’s sword close in for the slash but instead of a blade cutting into his neck, Rykol used the flat edge of the blade to knock Zenai in the head. The blow was hard enough to knock out most people. However, Zenai had the constitution to stay conscious but he wished he didn’t. After that one blow to the head, Zenai’s concentration and focus starts to wane. Rykol doubled, or even tripled his effort and managed to get pass Zenai's parries and blows to hit Zenai more and more, not just with his blade but with kicks and punches as well. The pain grew more intense with each strike by Rykol. Zenai begins to lose his strength and his blows and parries, by then much more sluggish, are more easily overcome by Rykol. Eventually, Zenai just stood there and didn’t even try to protect himself. Arms are too bruised to life his swords but his hands are still unwilling to let go of his blades. His knees also eventually gave out as well thus he fell onto his knees as if kneeling before Rykol. Rykol had that satisfaction on his face that Zenai couldn’t forget. Rykol was going to kill him and teach the Fish one final lesson. A lesson Zenai wasn’t looking forward to.

The dragoon kicked Zenai over, putting the Fish on his back. Zenai can’t do anything except just lay there for Rykol’s killing blow. Zenai was really a Fish at that moment in time. Helpless and his senses dulled like a fish that’s going to be gutted. He couldn’t see anything with one of his eyes bruised to the point where it is swollen. Zenai couldn’t even think straight. He lay there moaning in pain. Rykol took it all in, enjoying the satisfaction of putting a Fish in his place and the anticipation of regaining his prize. Rykol slowly lift his sword up in the air, the sun’s rays glinting upon his blade. He took a few moments to savor this; the feeling of victory.

However, before he was about to strain his muscles to even pull down his sword to decapitate Zenai; a dagger strikes the plank and in-between Rykol and Zenai. Zenai didn’t know what was happening nor was he in a position to discern and interpret. He only saw the glinting sword and then a figure hovering over him. He couldn’t make it out but it look a lot like mother. Again, he wasn’t in a position to discern or interpret. He just lay there with his mind blank and his body almost immobile. Only the feeling of pain was present and persistent. One last thought sparked in Zenai’s mind and he struggled, with swollen lips and almost collapsed lungs, to ask the figure, “Did I win?” before finally fainting.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Archelon on October 24th, 2011, 7:07 pm

As Zenai's eyes closed , and his world faded into blessed unconsciousness Carsten's voice rang in his ears. "No you petching idjit you didn't win. But you're alive... I guess that's good enough you stupid Fish!"

"Not quite good enough you petching B****"" came the muttered reply of Rykol as a fury came to his eyes before attempting to arc his sword down to behead, both Zenai and Carsten. Was Zenai capable of sight, or ability to discern the actions of those around him, he would have seen a flashing blur of motion coming from Raynor as he moved to interpose his sword against the deathblow.

It wasn't out of any altruistic motives, far from it in fact. Legs' side business was profitable to the dragoons, as was leg's himself. Those taggers which weren't put down while on the job for going against any of Robern's men were protected out of principle to ensure that Ole man Leg's didn't appear weak. Nor the same for Killroy's ventures.

On the docks, in that moment Dragoon blades met Daggerhand steel and Rykol and Raynor began a dance of death, scoring multiple slashes in the wooden planks before Raynor gained enough of an upper hand to slice two fingers from Rykol's hand and kicking him off the dock and into the knee high surf alone. The daggerhand seemed almost about to jump after when a small motion out of the corner of his eye drew his attention and he motioned dismissively to Rykol. "Get the petch out of here, I'll be taking your horse. I don't want to see you or any of your ilk harassing a Tagger on the docks again."

The dragoon stared at Raynor, cursing loudly as he held the stumped flesh where he had just lost the pinky and ring finger of his left hand before turning to stumble towards the shore. Before he vanished into the alleys he called back a few chilling words, "I'll be seeing you again Carstie Baby. And that little Fish too!"

Raynor just let him go.

Motioning to the three fellow Daggerhands to gather up Zenai, the now group of eight made their way back to Old Leg's Wharf where a chair was procured for the injured man. Uncaring what happened to the measly Fish of a Tagger, Raynor and his men made their way down the wharf to the ship that would take them to Lodestar Isle. Content to merely have had a satisfactory encounter of showing up a Dragoon during his own hunt for prey.

Above the streets on the rooftop, Lotharia Bloodrunner watched the scene with cold eyes a moment longer before turning away. She had been following Raynor, like she always did in their feud when he was on the shore, and had been trying to figure out an angle of attack to make another attempt. The fighter on the docks, the one who had stood up against a dragoon had drawn her slight interest... Perhaps some time later she might make his acquaintance?

Regardless of these events while Zenai was unconscious, he was brought painfully back into awareness by two sailors dumping seawater over his body, bringing painful stings to any point of his body where lacerations were present.

His eyes would open to see the figure of Leg's sitting at his customary stool, the doctor petronius tending to his cuts over him, and Carsten's standing slightly to the left of Ole Legs, muttering in his ears. He'd cough and sputter, and hiss at the saltwater, but the ringing in his head and ears would stop in a blessed numbing sensation as the Doctor pressed him to drink an herbal concoction before packing up his things to leave. Only blithely noting that Legs would pay him the usual fee by the end of the week. He was then alone with Carsten and Leg's himself, just sitting on the edge of Old Leg's wharf as the three sat in silence.

It was the man who spoke first... "Well fish, anything you have to add to tell me about your first day working the boards? "

oocNice dramatic effect there ;)
[/color]
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 24th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Do they really have to pour salted water onto my wounds? Zenai's first organized thought after beaten to a pulp by...he can't remember right now it seems and something in his gut, though in pain, told him he doesn't want to. Zenai was still dazed from the encounter...again, he can't seem to remember it well. Anyway, Zenai was still daze and there's enough sense in his body to feel the medication and stitches the apothecary is applying to Zenai's cut and bruised body. The sting was the good kind of sting; medicine to heal the body but most likely, it would still take days or even weeks for him to heal completely. Zenai could taste a bit of blood in the back of his throat, probably from his mouth and then swallowed. It was getting in the way of breathing so Zenai swallowed some saliva then coughing out anything out of his throat least it chokes him like a tooth. Some of sight has returned and he took the chance to look around him. He saw the doctor mending his wounds, Ol' Legs sitting on his stool and Carsten next to Ol' Legs. Carsten was pouring whispered words into Ol' Legs' ear and he knew pretty well that those words concern mainly on today's events. Zenai hope Carsten would tell him what exactly happened today because Zenai couldn't remember the last few parts of the job.

With his work done, the physician took his leave. Zenai stood up on the chair as best he could, almost grunting loudly, and thanked the doctor. Zenai was then shot at with a question from Ol' Legs which basically asked if he has anything else to add. There was a lot he could talk about. He could talk about how Sunberth is most horrid cesspool in all of Mizahar, children here are no better than rats gnawing at people's legs, and sadistic armored buffoons riding around like they own the place. Wait, what sadistic armored buffoon?... By the gods... It all came back to Zenai; the challenge, the duel and pummeling Zenai got at the hands of Rykol. Furthermore, his imagination might be playing tricks on him; he seemed to remember being saved by another man who quickly put down Rykol before the dragoon can decapitate Zenai. Oh, what a day. Why is here again? Ah, right; to be worthy of something. He picked the finest city to do it. He could have easily got on the next caravan to either Syliras or Wind Reach or anywhere else that's not Sunberth.

Zenai looked at Ol' Legs, then to Carsten, then back to Ol' Legs again. They seem not so eager for an answer from a Fish. What would he say to them after everything that has happened today? Petch off and I don’t want to see you again then leave Sunberth forever and ever? Or would he stay and prove his worth to people who he hardly knew and will be more critical of him and give him praise only if he was deserving of it. The answer seems more obvious to his gut than his mind so he better go with the former.

“Yeah, I do have something to add… How many more runs do I need to do before you guys would stop calling me a Fish?”

oocAre we done?
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Archelon on October 24th, 2011, 10:11 pm

"Well, I guess you're not a fish any more; Ain't ya Guppie? I'll only call you Zenai if you do something smart!" Old man legs said before gesturing another merc to bring forwards a small chest. "I just wasted a good amount of mizas on you since you don't seem to be able to protect that head of yours, so I might as well fortify you a bit for the later jobs. Don't get me wrong, I don't do this often, but I already invested some in you already. You'll be here as often as possible, working the boards, drawing your lot, and coming to see me. Sometimes I'll have you go to the warehouses. Sometimes I'll have you patrolling the docks so long as you stay out of the Big Three's way. You see any of them causing trouble you come report to me and we'll deal with it."

Ol' Legs spoke as if anyone who wasn't an idiot would know that the big three here meant the Daggerhands, the Dragoons, and the Night
Eyes. All others, were fair game to encounter in his patrols of the docks.

Smiling a little the man continued, "However, since you seem to have more brawns than brains I'm going to stick Carstens here to your jobs for the next two seasons you work for me. She may only be a bonny River Shark, but she knows the job at least. So don't petching let me down by doing something so stupid again. At least not unless you're sure you can win with minimal damage to yourself. I might pay some of the bills with the Doctor, but ones gained from your own stupidity won't much be covered. Patronius said you'd need at least five days of bed rest to recover, so Carstens here is going to drop you off at the Pig's Foot. I expect you back soon after, or I'll just... well consider my investment has been for naught and send someone to find you."

Without another word, Zenai was picked up and carried by Carsten and the two other men who had gone with him on the job and taken to the Pig's Foot Tavern. Carsten was mainly carrying the chest that legs had brought forwards. When he was there, Zenai was ushered to the side room, and Carstens lay the chest within easy reach before she waved a slight goodbye and headed towards the door. "See ya' around Guppie!"

It seemed the new title didn't hold a bit of scorn but rather a slight tone of amusement to it as Zenai nodded off to rest.

Thread Award

"Head 'em up and Roll 'em out! Move it! Move it! Move it!"

And the Results!!!!:

Zenai :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Weapon(talon Sword)5 This is really the way it should be listed in your CS ;)
Dualwielding 3
Bodybuilding3
Running2
Observation3
Rhetoric1 for the insults
Evasion3 for the dodging.
Navigation1

Lores:
Sunberth's Warehouse District(basic)
Sunberth's Docks (Basic)
Talon Sword: Thrusts, Chops, Slashes,and Blocks(basic)
Daggerhands and Dragoons: Not a good thing to mess with.
Being a Fish, and a Guppie in the Same day ;).

Spoils:
Empty Chest- 2gm
Helmet Nasal - worth 25 gm.
Steel Armored Leg (Greaves) - worth 60gm (for if you ever have to kick armored opponents again ;)
Weapon Harness - 5 gm
2 Scabbards secret container- 18gm

Would you like some extra turtle sauce ? :
Nice thread, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did As for now, I'll pm Levi with the details of Zenai's job. Which should be equal to the mercenary on the pay scale somewhere around 3gm/per day. Levi should pm you with a storyteller secrets thread for it. Also please remember you will have to pm him with 3 job threads for your seasonal wages at the end of the season.. :)

As a side note, I'll be releasing Carsten's use to you, and you may only *briefly* interact with Old Legs for a day. Just the basics of what task's zenai is up to for the day. Keep them both in character: it will be counted in the grading of your threads :).

Have a good one, and have fun RPIng in the wonderful cesspool known as Sunberth ^-^.
[/color]
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 25th, 2011, 1:09 am

Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous