(Old leg's wharf)A Guard's Duty (Zenai)

Old Legs is searching for people to work the boards and guard various merchants stuff as its brought to the ships.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Archelon on October 5th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Docks... they were cold in the mornings. Every day, every night the sea breeze kept a chill in the air. Especially in the times between the late fall and the early spring. Old Leg's didn't like that, it brought an ache to his bones that never seemed to settle in as he sat by his hut looking across the way at the giant board of names, colored tags on hooks, and numbers that anyone who didn't understand what they meant was liable to cross their eyes and puzzle out what was going on.

In actuality the names were of guards, mercenaries to help the merchants bring their goods down to the docks, and every morning the Boards were a circus -like flurry of activity. Men reading their names to pull off the colored tags to form their groups for the day, and the numbers coincided to a list of warehouses that the DockMaster knew coincided with the numbers of the warehouse in the district. The warehouse district was a scary place, normally protected by gang members that roughed anyone in their territory up. But not the taggers. The taggers were a bit more of the honest living in Sunberth, dispatched to walk the merchants and their own guards and goods down to one of the ships waiting on the docks.

It was essential for any tagger worth their salt and their day's bread to know just where to go, and what ships were supposed to be loaded by what times. Even if they had to 'persuade' finicky merchants to hurry up. Loading the ships was business, and on the Docks the Dockmaster tried to keep as much of an eye on things as possible. That was Ol' Legs' job. Surely as the guards he sent to help get the shipments to the docks safely were more beholden to him then the merchants they guarded. In a way this was quite fair, as it meant that his guards were rotated out randomly to new merchants and new warehouses, he never let a man know where he was going before hand until the board was set up. It was his circus to run after all, and it just wouldn't do to let guards come to know and anticipate when they could be guarding a certain merchant's wares, at a certain day and time of the month.

No that wouldn't do at all. Too much corruption that way. So instead he had devised a system. A system that gave rise to the Taggers. Random men, selected into random groups and sent to random warehouses each day to ensure that A: there was very little theft or roughing up of the clientele... and B: the clientelle were even more cautious about trying to sneak contraband past him. Not all merchants were part of this flock that paid a sum to Ol Legs as a middleman, and sometimes they just skipped the guard services randomly. That was also a sign to watch those particular merchants to see if their profits had dwindled to the point they would soon 'retire' from the game, or whether they were up to something dodgy that Robern might give him grief for.

And boy golly did he hate that grief he or his charming daughter could give. His leg was testament to that. So his guard services were key to ensure that never happened again.

Six brutish men, regular guards ventured towards him, with a man named Marckelat its head came over and one by one they dropped their similarly colored green tags and dropped it in the box beside him. "22D."

Ol' Legs nodded and grunted out, "Wiggams Warehouse, North side. You remmber where it is?" The man nodded once before legs turned to the rest, "Markel's group for the day, he's been informed of where your going. So get a move on, time's a wasting!"

When the greens moved off he wondered who would be next to his humble abode as a Runner came up to hand him an black envelope. He opened and read the message, taking time to scribble on a scrap of paper the words ''thank you, Tua'' before thrusting it back into the Runner's paws. Seems like he got word he'd be getting a new Fish in town this morning. Someone who'd need a colored tag for a group and a guard leader to watch him. He only let his " New Guards" partake in the occasional patrols of the Docks, and the warehouse jaunts. Only the really seasoned ones did he hire for ... "extra work." There were many a ships in Sunberth that couldn't pay their docking fees, and those ship's owners weren't too thrilled when their ships were repossessed for reneging on the prices. But that was just the way it was in Sunberth.

He'd deal with it when this "Zenai" arrived. For now he merely called out to the throng at the boards, "Come on , maggots! I don't have all day! Times a'wastin!"

oocJust arrive and approach old Legs. he's an npc listed for baroque bay.
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 5th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Season of Fall, Day 13, 511 AV

Not wanting to arrive late and look bad on first day of work, Zenai jogged towards the docks while weaving in and out of the crowd of people who're going about with their morning business. The morning was cold as the year approaches winter and the people seem to be preparing for the cold days to come. He must admit, despite their anarchist ways, the people of Sunberth still need to do the necessary daily chores to survive. He had imagined that muggings and looting are the daily activity but then again, he wasn't here for more than a day. He would suspend judgment until he gets a better idea of Sunberth's workings. Being a cold morning, Zenai was glad for the jog as the cold was clamping around his legs and arms. Some warm-ups would be good before starting the day and he would probably need to throw his weight around. He pulled his cloak more tightly around him, the jog was doing little good and it would be a blessing once the sun is up high in the sky. Some sunshine and warmth would do him more good.

Still, his journey towards the docks didn't unnerved Zenai. The city was full of surprises. Too many surprises. Maybe because it was still all new to him. What bothered him the most was the Tua fellow. Reasonable enough person and suspicious enough as well. However, this is Sunberth; things are more then what they seemed. Well, that's actually questionable but either way, Tua is weird but the good kind of weird...for now. Zenai doesn't like to remember his days as a squire. Too many already pointed him out as a failure. Nobody like failures. Also, he wasn't a washed-out. He quit being a squire! Tua should have gotten his facts right but whatever, looks like it's already set in stone. Zenai imagined he would need a sledgehammer to break it.

Before Zenai knew it, he was at the docks. He liked the docks. Ships. Big ships. It's all quite fascinating to see giant constructions made of wood bringing people across the sea from one coast to another. Maybe even another dock or island. And the stuff the merchants and traders bring in. Exotic wares and spices. Things you wouldn't normally see in daily life. He also likes to touch them. He doesn't know why but he likes to touch them. As if it's essence would rub off on Zenai and make him exotic. Though, he could have done it because he likes to touch things to annoy his parents and the merchants. Doesn't matter. It was probably why Zenai wanted to see the world i.e. to see new things. Also, probably why he’s in Sunberth. Maybe he will strangle Bob when he gets the chance.

A quick look around reveals a group of armed men around a board of some kind. There’s also a man calling out warehouse’s names. Seems to be right place. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to ask. He tapped the shoulders of one of the men and asked, “That wouldn’t be Ol’ Legs, would it?” The man gave an affirmative grunt. Zenai thanked the man before approaching Ol’ Legs. Ol’ Legs looks like an interesting character and that’s it. Zenai rarely pays attention to physical traits as he prefers to observe other things to judge people. Zenai skittishly approached Ol’ Legs and said nervously, “Hi, I’m the new guard here. The name’s Zenai.”
Last edited by Zenai on October 5th, 2011, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green is when I'm speaking Common.
Blue is when I'm thinking in my Mind.
Teal is when everybody else is speaking.
Red is when I'm speaking Nari.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Words: 201414
Joined roleplay: October 3rd, 2011, 2:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Archelon on October 5th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Old Legs looked at Zenai with an irate glare. "You're late, boy." It wasn't a question. Just a declarative statement. "I got you with the orange groups today. A cakewalk for a merchant named Geisser who needs help guarding a food stuff shipment down to the pier of Cherry Bay. Group leader's name is Carsten. She'll keep you shipshape on guard duty for the delivery. Delivery goes to the ship named the Edelweiss bound for zeltiva. Supposed to be carrying food, and only food. I'm usually just a shipwright and carpenter but I got this Board business on the side. Just keep an eye out for pickpockets and don't screw it up, and you'll be fine- Fish. Day's a simple job. Come to the board, get your assignment and go guard it till it reaches the pier. On some days I may have you listed for patrol duty on the piers themselves. As for the job today, I'll call her over now. Hey Carsten! Get yar' rump over here!"

The last word was dismissive to the man, really dismissive. It seemed he was more a hindrance to Leg's business of doing business or that he hadn't proved himself yet. One of the two to be sure but he couldn't be sure which and perhaps he'd simply be left guessing.

A short , but tough loooking woman, blonde haired, and blue eyed at a height about 5' 2'' came over and looked at legs and then back at Zenai. Her hand fingered the longsword at her back. A weapon seemingly too large for her small size as she asked a question. "This the Fish, Legs?"

"Yep, this is the fish. His name doesn't matter unless he makes it through the day. Take him already yar' running late."

The woman looked at Zenai who merely glared at her to hold out his hand. "The name's Zenai."

Carsten just glared at him. "No... your name's Fish until the end of the day. You prove yourself useful then I'll shake your hand!" Without another word Carsten ventured back towards the "green'' group for the day. Noting it had two other guards beside her and Zenai, making it a total of four. "Come on you louts, we're off to Geisser's for a food run. Keep an eye out, and move it! We're already late 'cause of the Fish!"

The two men grumbled at Carsten as they turned to run towards the warehouse District, casting appraising glances at Zenai like he was worth less then dirt at the moment. Yeah... it would be tough to prove himself round these parts for this job, but at least he'd bought himself a shot...
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 5th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Fish. Wonderful... Zenai lamented as he followed Carsten. Probably best to go with it. Not for him to demand respect. He tries to keep up with the hurried pace of his new comrades who are obviously trying to get to their designated area. Zenai followed them since they know the place better than himself but he took the opportunity to observe important landmarks that could be useful when he comes around the docks again. He also took the chance to observe his new acquaintances, specifically Carsten. It would be best to follow her every direction and order least he be reprimanded and Ol' Legs said it himself that it was a simple job that even a Fish such as Zenai can do it.

Confident again, he took much stronger strides and put his head slightly higher up. He also took extra care of his coin pouch from itchy fingers of pickpockets. Other than thieves, he kept an eye out (Like Carsten said) for...anything else really. Probably dangers like people wanting to make trouble which is about almost anybody in Sunberth. He flexed his cold fingers, making sure he can draw his sword at any time especially on Carsten's command. Zenai kept quiet all the way. Not wanting to flare up some more hostility towards himself.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Archelon on October 9th, 2011, 5:06 am

As the three other guards lead the Fish along the two behind Carsten's looked at him appraisingly, perhaps wondering if he could use that sword of his effectively? Whatever the case, Zenai would find there was a bit of distrust with a new recruit to the thralls of guards for the merchants. And on other jobs that was likely to continue until he had worked with a few of them on more then one job. It took time to build a reputation amongst the tough and rugged sorts.

But at least none were openly spitting venom at him. When the party arrived at the warehouse after a twenty minute jog through the twisting streets they spotted Geiser waiting with two wagons at the ready, loaded with assorted size crates before Carstens went to speak to the merchant in question. He was an old , yet toughened sort, with skin reminiscient of hard worn leather. Dressed in a simple robe, with a crossbow on his back it was obvious he wasn't inexperienced in the ways of trouble. If trouble found him of course, he wasn't the type to go looking for it. For a moment the two whispered before Carsten returned to where Zenai and the other two men were standing. "Alright, listen up. The Fish and I will be in the tail wagon, keeping an eye out for any trouble as we head back towards the Edelweiss located on the Cherry Bay pier. The two others go with Geisser. The Cherry Bay pier is a good five miles of twisting alleys and main roads so be sharp for pickpockets, thieves or beggarly refuse. They tend to bother such a caravan of wagons, even if this one is only carrying food."

Without another word, she turned and mounted up into the pillbox of the second wagon by the drive and motioned Zenai to take a seat in the back of the wagon on the crates. When he finally had done so, she turned her head backwards to speak to him. [color=tan]"Alright there Fish, you're the backman today. That means if someone comes to nab something you'll be the one jumping off to chase 'em. Happens more then I like tell you the truth. Especially in crowded city streets. So keep your eyes sharp, and your wits sharper. In the meantime since I'm a bit bored; tell me a little about yar'self."

The clip clop of hooves signalled the start of the trip down to the docks as the wagons jerked and began to move.

oocFeel free to add a bit about the jog there, or what you see along the first mile of streets :). I'll let you say if Carsten's responds a bit to get your character to loosen up. She's a gruff sort though ; so keep her in character ;)
[/color]
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 12th, 2011, 3:11 am

As they jogged towards their intended destination, the sun slowly rise over the horizon and it was high enough in the sky to effectively blast its warmth rays upon the inhabitants below. One of them was Zenai and he was pretty glad of the warmth it gave. The coldness of his new employers and comrades almost froze up his soul but the sun in the sky and the warmth on his skin gave him new hope. It's still early in the day and most likely it could go a lot better. There may still be some hope & good left in the day and it's not like it's going to go all the way down the mountain. It could though...

The dock was a hive of activity and it wasn't any difference from the docks in Syliras albeit the thugs and "enforcers" aren't the shining examples of the Syrilan Knights but deep down they're all the same. As any dock, Sunberth's was bustling with the dock-hands carrying crates full of valuables, some are more illegal than others, and captains arguing over the docking "fees" with the said thugs and enforcers. Zenai thought back to when his tutors told him all about the world outside the domain of the Syliran Knights and was not shy about lambasting Sunberth and its anarchism. True; the people here don't like order but they don't like people with too much power and are not afraid to topple them with force. At the same time, they understand the need for some order especially for the day-to-day workings of a community such as Sunberth. Somehow, it appeals to Zenai and that could be his morbid, pessimistic side talking to him. He quickly dismissed the thought, he has a job to do and needs to focus. Also almost tripping over a crate of butcher's knives did help with the focusing as well.

They arrived where the merchant and his wagon is. Zenai raised an eyebrow at the merchant's crossbow. Usually, merchants wouldn't be the ones carrying weapons but Zenai guessed that this is Sunberth and you can only trust yourself. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself as they say and a few more hired guards would certainly help in this situation. Carsten barked her orders and Zenai did as he was told & took extra care to listen to Carsten's instructions and orders. He doesn't want to mess this up horrifically and he was quite surprised at the level of trust on the responsibility that Carsten bestowed upon him. Usually, you get one of the more able and experienced to do this kind of important tasks but he accepted with a nod. He was to fend off every dirty hands and catch anyone who stole from the wagon itself. He didn't have qualms with that; years living and educated in Wind Reach and Syliras have thought him that people needs to be put into their place and do their part. Anyone else was to be kicked into the mud and actually clean up that mud. Seems harsh but that's how the world works otherwise the world would hardly function at all.

Zenai thought for awhile about Carsten's query. It's only natural that you would want to know who you're working with but Zenai has to be careful what he actually tells Carsten. Too much information might expose his weaknesses but at the same time, he needs something to open up Carsten. Give and take. As the wagon begins its journey, Zenai, making sure that he keeps watch and his wits and eyes about him, started to summarize his entire life...

"Well, where to begin... Well, I am a son of hardworking man and loving mother. I lived half of my life in Wind Reach and the other half in Syliras. Well; to be more accurate, a quarter in Wind Reach then a quarter in Syliras then another quarter in Wind Reach again then that last quarter in Syliras before coming to Sunberth. Didn't really lived up to the expectations of both my parents so I came to Sunberth to get a new start in life and make living for myself. Oh, I've practiced with the sword for a bit."
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Archelon on October 13th, 2011, 9:11 am

For a moment , Carsten just looked at Zenai; and then snorted a little as a peal of harsh laughter came from her lips. "Well I guess you really are a Fish. Quite green in the gills; at least for being in Sunberth. Why the petch anyone would want to leave either of those two places is beyond me. They're much better then here. At least you don't have to worry about someone stabbing you in the back so long as you shut yar' traps and sit on your hands in Syliras. Though the first time you do act up those knights come down harder then a ton of bricks. Ah, well, At least you were honest. Most guys around here tell up a tale or two to hide their past."

Carsten's eyes suddenly narrowed as the convoy took a turn around the corner, "Alright, keep sharp Fish! We got a bunch of street rats up ahead to our left. They look like the hungry sort so eyes up!"

The woman didn't say anything else as she cooly watched as much of the street as she could. There was a group of street rats as she said, but somehow out of the corner of Zenai's eye a blur of motion passed. What it was he might not have been able to tell. But if he had he'd have noted three beggars being accosted by a gang of toughs, kicked, and spat upon as they were beat down for the few coins they had garnered. This was sunberth after all, it was just business as usual.

However: if he had seen this sight, then one of the youngest street rats, a lad about twelve would notice his drifting attention and edge a little closer towards the wagons. A clear intent on his face that he wanted a meal... What would happen? Only Zenai would tell.

oocSurprise me with something ^-^
[/color]
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 21st, 2011, 2:33 am

Carsten wasn't kidding; street rats and beggars seem to come out of their holes at the sight, or maybe even the scent, of food. Actually, was there that many of them before? Maybe he didn't notice them before because he didn't want to notice them. Helping people is double-edged sword; it somehow makes the world a little less cruel but at the same time, some unrighteous people take the opportunity to turn on their saviors. Sometimes, salvation comes in the shape of an iron fist. Of course, it wasn't really regarded as that when these kind of things was taught to him. Being a son of a Syliran Knight and an Inartan Endal, there's a inclination to spit and kick those in the lower hierarchy. Who are they to demand more when they have been given so much?! his tutors used to rant. Of course, their definition of "so much" could be just a hovel and dirty set of clothes as well as the honor to work for their "betters". There's merit to the idea of working and earning your keep but he has seen enough times that the "nobles" would take more than they're actually worth. Sunberth is no different but at least, they don't hide it behind a mask of benevolence and righteousness.

Zenai caught Carsten's warning and was well aware of the group of street beggars. He was particularly suspicious of the boy moving towards the wagon. He was going for it and now, Zenai has to choose. Zenai has always to strive for true goodness but sometimes, pragmatism is the stronger value especially in these times and this is one of times.

As the boy reaches for the sacks of food, Zenai quickly draws his sword out. There's a surprise in Carsten's eyes and fear in the boy's eyes at the Zenai's glimmering bladed steel. One would think the outcome would be a chopped-off limb or even limbs but Zenai instead used the pommel of his sword to smash into the boy's nose. "Get your own meal, loser!" Zenai shouted. The boy was sprawled on the ground, clutching his bleeding, broken nose. Zenai heard the crying from the boy but he long ago was able to block it out.

He turn to a surprised Carsten. "What? Did I do something wrong? Was I suppose to chop off his limb? Slap him? Harsher insult?"
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Archelon on October 21st, 2011, 2:46 am

Carsten just shook her head a little and smiled as the wagon turned the corner to another street. The convoy of goods was making good time with the food supplies, and the horse was trotting along. Finally she turned and sarcastically said with a smirk, "Nah, you're supposed to just handle it in the quickest way possible and get the goods moving again. I'm just surprised to find you're a little soft. Don't worry, a few days on the job that'll go right out the window after the first time someone tries to gut you."

The wagon quickened its pace to keep up with the lead one, making the back bed a little shakey where Zenai was sitting as they took a sharp turn over a few divots in the cobblestones. Nothing major was out of place, but a small crate's lid seemed loose allowing Zenai to peer inside for a moment to see the sparkling glint of metal.

'Wasn't this shipment supposed to be only food?' Taking a closer look he might spy a small barrel filled with caltrops, and another suspicious barrel of mushrooms and herbs. But that didn't meant he'd necessarily know what it was. Should he just close the lid quickly and pretend he never saw it? Tell Carsten in a manner so the wagon driver wouldn't know? Or wait till later to say something as soon as things were safely onboard the ship? Would he risk everything on his first day on the job with a single wrong call?"

Or would he do something else, entirely?

Whatever the case, the wagon would take another sharp turn onto the main road which lead to the port, only about half a mile to go before they would guard the unloading process. Behind them, coming up fast was a man on a horse, seeming to sit high in the saddle and bearing the arms and armor. Was he going to simply pass, or was there something more sinister in his gaze in their direction?

Zenaid wouldn't know... but he had about twenty seconds to act and figure it out...

oocGood one , let's see how you do with this ^-^. Take it a step further and surprise me. I challenge you as well to give me a look at zenai's thoughts, and what he sees around him... :)
[/color]
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zenai on October 21st, 2011, 3:23 am

Oh wonderful. A shipment that isn't what it's suppose to be. It is as if I'm in one of those adventure novels where the hero is delivering something that isn't what the sender say it is. It's probably a frowned-upon substance. Maybe some kind of deadly poison or venom to kill. Maybe even a critical ingredient to destroy Mizahar. Why is my life getting interesting? Interesting life is always dangerous. Why am I this stupid? Zenai decided to close the lid discreetly. Don't want it to pour out on him so his armor would melt and meld with his skin. And he doesn't want to cross the wrong people as this is Sunberth of course. Things that are illegal elsewhere are free to be traded here, with all the duties and bribes paid to the right people of course. Zenai thought for a second that this might be exotic herbs and spices for a very rich noble but he hasn't quite seen one yet. Supposedly, the people here hate people who has accumulated to much power and wealth. There could be a few and maybe he so happen not see any on his way in. The more dangerous assumption that this cargo belongs to one of the more shadowy organizations within Sunberth. Best to keep his nose out of it. Who knows what they been sniffing the whole day. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Zenai went back to his watch. He made sure the rearguard is clear while Carsten concentrate on the forward arc. Again, more people going about their business. He wondered if he would ask Carsten about the "food" later on, perhaps somewhere more discreet. Most probably she's gonna say, "Oh Fish! So naive~" Then pet his head for effect. Zenai frowned on the thought of it. Other than that boy, seems pretty quiet. Quiet as in no one else is going for the wagon. Everybody moved out of the way and the presence of Carsten and the two others (and maybe Zenai himself) seem to stay people's itchy fingers.

Then there's that horsemen coming fast upon them. That's probably the first time he sees a person on horse in Sunberth. A person on a horse with both arms and armor. A person on a horse with both arms and armor riding quickly towards them. Maybe he was paranoid but he decided to sit cross-legged so it's easier to spring into action if need be and his fingers are around the hilt of his sword just in case but not so much to give the horsemen notice that Zenai suspects him.

This better not be about our "food" cargo...
Last edited by Zenai on October 21st, 2011, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next