First Day in a New Place (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

First Day in a New Place (Open)

Postby Tomas on February 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

Timestamp: 69th Day of Winter, 509AV

Tomas awoke early, the sounds of the city coming to life rousing him from his sleep. He stood on all fours, stretching his long body to its limits and yawned widely, then surveyed his surroundings. He hadn't paid much attention to the room the night before, weary as he was, but the room had little of note. Shifting to human form Tomas slowly dressed himself, feeling uncomfortable in clothing as always then opened the door to his room, the bright morning sun spilling in. Today would be the first day in what would hopefully be his new home. He was completely clueless as to what he should do.

Tomas wandered the streets for what seemed to him like hours, but still could not think of what he should do. He knew that humans normally worked during the day, but he had little idea what work he might do. Until recently, Tomas had spent his days stealing scraps from the kitchen, sleeping, or playing with his master whenever she was around. True, there was a period of time where every day was, "Sit! Heel! Attack!" But obedience training didn't last very long for him, since he was intelligent unlike the other animals he went to school with. Other than those rare instances, Tomas had lived a life of luxury. Now he was forced to sleep in cold rooms on hard beds and walk around as a human wearing clothing. The clothes were ever a nuisance, but he knew he was required to wear them whenever in human form.

After a while his stomach began to groan, and he was overjoyed. Finally, something to do. He hadn't thought to get something to eat, it was usually given to him the moment he left Melanie's room, sometimes even before. But how did humans get their food? Surely everyone did not have a personal cook? Breathing deep, Tomas takes in all the aromas around him, his keen sense of smell quickly picking up on various foods in the area. The first few places he went to were private homes, and despite his pleas, they would not feed him. Finally, he was directed to a Tavern, The Rearing Stallion.

When he arrived he carefully pushed open the door, not wanting to disturb the people inside. He'd learned quickly that just walking into rooms was not allowed like it was in his master's estate. Several people were inside, many sitting at table's eating, but Tomas wasn't sure how to get any food. Being too shy to just walk up and ask somebody, he stood in the center of the room for a good five minutes before one of the barmaids walked up to him. "Can I get you anything today, sir?"

Tomas visibly relaxes, glad to finally have someone come up to him. "Um... yes, somebody told me I could get food here?" The barmaid laughs and leads him to a table, "Of course you can get food here, so long as you've got the mizas. We’re serving breakfast right now, potatoes and eggs. Shall I get you a drink?"

Tomas had had both of these things before, and while potatoes were not one of his favorite foods, eggs were certainly delicious. "Oh, I just want water." The barmaid nods, "Fair enough. Breakfast and a mug of water. That'll be 4 silver mizas." Tomas fishes the mizas from the pouch around his neck, and then the lady walks off to the kitchen. Finding himself alone, Tomas turned his attention to the rest of the people in the room. Most of them were occupied with their own food, but Tomas found watching them eat to be entrancing. He had to resist the urge to go beg them for some scraps, even though he knew his own food would soon be out.

Alone, knowing nobody, but with a full belly in his near future, his situation could have been worse. But he knew eventually he would run out of Mizas, and if he didn't figure out something to do he'd have to leave and fend for himself. He was a capable hunter, but he craved companionship over all else and that could only be found within the city.
"Honest! I didn't know I was supposed to go in the bathroom. At home they always made me go outside!"
Tomas
Player

Words: 32648
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2010, 6:02 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Re: First Day in a New Place (Open)

Postby Tomas on February 24th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Tomas sits and watches the people come and go from the tavern, waiting on his own food, and wondering where the people were going. Most of them seemed to be in a hurry, and he figured they were off to whatever work they might be doing that day. Roland was the same way in the mornings, though Tomas was rarely up early enough to see him off. On the rare mornings Tomas did rise early, he would see the merchant scarfing down his breakfast and heading out the door without so much as a goodbye.

Tomas wondered how many of these men were merchants. Perhaps he could be a merchant one day. It was really the only trade he knew anything about, though that knowledge was limited. He didn't really want to be a merchant, but maybe it was something he could do. Finally, his food arrives, the potatoes still hot and steaming and the eggs cooked so that the yokes were still liquid on the inside.

"Thank you, my lady." He knew that it was polite to say "my lady" to human women. Everyone called his master that, or Lady Zulhand. The barmaid seemed flattered enough, her usual customers being without such manners. "It was no trouble at all, my lord. Enjoy your breakfast." The lady goes to attend to her other tables while Tomas begins to eat. He was hungrier than he'd realized, and wolfs down the food quickly. When the barmaid comes back with another glass of water he stops her. "Ma'am? I was wondering. I'm new here and don't know what I should do. Do you have any advice?"

The barmaid laughs. "Well, that’s a tough question. There are all sorts of things you could do here. What kind of stuff were you looking for?" She picks up his empty glass, replacing it with a full one.

Tomas takes a sip from the glass, thinking over her question. "Well, I know that most people work during the day. I was thinking that maybe I could be a merchant. It doesn't look too hard, though I'm not sure if I'd be very good at it."

She laughs again and puts her hands on her hips. "Well you can't just become a merchant. First of all, you need money to get your wares.. and a cart at the least. Then you'll need to figure out what it is you’re going to sell. You'll need suppliers as well." She gives him a serious look, "What did you do before you came here? Surely you have some other skills?"

Tomas dips his head in shame a bit. He should have realized you couldn't just become a merchant. And he had no skills, so far as he knew. All his life he'd just been a pet. "I... I don't know. I wasn't required to work where I came from. Unless, well.. I was supposed to protect Melanie."

The barmaid frowns a bit, "Melanie? Well if you were supposed to protect her then it sounds like you were a body guard. No offense.. but you seem kind of small for a body guard. Unless you're a wizard?" That last part she says with a hint of mistrust in her voice.

Tomas shakes his head and grins. "Nope, not a wizard. Actually, I was really good as at protecting her. I'm really a big wolf, see." Tomas stands, throwing off his cloak and dropping his pants, then shifts into a huge 7 foot long wolf right there in the middle of the tavern. The waitress jumps back, dropping her glass and backing across the room. Several people look up in surprise, a few even reaching for their weapons.
"Honest! I didn't know I was supposed to go in the bathroom. At home they always made me go outside!"
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

Postby Nyahna Sasin on February 25th, 2010, 1:20 am

Sasin hissed as a man transformed into a wolf. Right next to him. He drew his daggers immediately, hopping off the barstool. Was it the dog kelvic? Could he be here for him?

It didn't seem that way. From the conversation with the barmaid, he seemed to merely be showing off. He scowled, sheathing his daggers. "Come now, kelvic. That was unesssasssary."

He looked suspiciously at the kelvic wolf, then sat back on his barstool. "You might want to put on your clothes."
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tomas on February 25th, 2010, 1:49 am

Tomas seems surprised by everyone's reaction to him. Was there something wrong with the way he looked? Maybe he'd accidentally bared his fangs, though he didn't think that was it. Perhaps they were just not used to seeing a wolf indoors. He knew that many people did not allow animals inside their homes, and he was often barred entrance and was forced to wait outside while Melanie went in to socialize.

He puts his tail between his legs and lowers his head at the sight of all the weapons being drawn and at Sasin's request he shifts back to human form and puts his clothes back on, groaning a bit as he does so. "I'm sorry, I didn't know it was against the rules. I won’t do it again." He stares at the dhani for a moment, nostrils flaring at bit. "You smell different from these other people. Are you a kelvic like me? I've only met one other before, but I wasn't allowed to speak with him."
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

Postby Aksia Carataqua on February 25th, 2010, 8:07 am

Aksia had stalking Sasin since day one, and it was probably no surprise for him now that she was in the same bar as him. Aksia eyed the Kelvic dog in the corner warily, aware that Sasin was also suspiciously examining the dog dagger at the ready. His show had aroused her suspicion and she and Sasin were the few that had drawn their weapons, she tightened her wrist razors and straightened her cloak, making sure that the blades sewn inside of the hem were still attached firmly.

She slowly walked to the Kelvic, "Are you out of your mind? Transforming into a wolf in the middle of a bar?. When no answer came she repeated herself, and sat down, awaiting an answer.Seriously, what a dim-wit" she thought
Aksia Carataqua
The Dancing Healer

Words: 21277
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2010, 12:30 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nyahna Sasin on February 25th, 2010, 10:21 am

Sasin narrowed his eyes as the Charoda approached. "What? You again? What is with you stalking me? Every single time I try to do something, you're there." He growled softly. Turning back to the Kelvic, he scowled. "It's not only against the rules. It a shock. For a moment I thought you'd gone feral." He said, more calmly this time. The kelvic really did seem to not know how surprised everyone was.

"As to what I am.... I'd rather not tell you until I get to know you better." He said guardedly. He didn't want anyone knowing unless he knew he could trust them. "And you, don't say a word." He added hastily to the Charoda. "But I can tell you, I'm no Kelvic."
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tomas on February 25th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Truly Tomas was confused. Was it really so bad that he'd shifted here? Did people hate wolves that much? And now a second person was scolding him. This was not a very good start to his first day in the new town.

"I really am sorry. Please don't hate me. At home, I was never allowed to shift into my human form." As he says this he fiddles with the collar around his neck that at one time prevented him from shifting except on command. "Things are so different here. Am I never allowed to shift? Do I have to stay like this forever?"
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

Postby Aksia Carataqua on February 26th, 2010, 12:14 am

Aksia sighed, either this Kelvic had a few screws loosened in his brain, or it meant that he truly didn't know ANYTHING. "Do you really not know anything? In Syliras, in ANYWHERE in Mizahar, and we don't hate you, we just find you a tad annoying because you're so oblivious!". "And also if you weren't allowed to shift into human at your home, then you shouldn't find it difficult to do it the other way, keep yourself human, so you won't go scaring barmaids and the such! You're allowed to shift but not indoors, or in front of large crowds of people, unless you're trying to pick a fight Kelvic.". And lastly, what brings a Kelvic that doesn't know anything about the world or his own race in the eyes of normal people to Syliras?" she asked suspiciously "What do you seek?".

Turning round to Sasin she said "Yup, it's me again, I enjoy stalking you, that's the only reason, I hope you don't mind but I get a thrill in stalking friends. And you're my best friend in Syliras! she said cheerfully
Aksia Carataqua
The Dancing Healer

Words: 21277
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2010, 12:30 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nyahna Sasin on February 26th, 2010, 12:46 am

Sasin sighed. "The rules here are different. A kelvic is not forbidden from shifting, but humans are naturally wary of large animals such as yourself. Some kelvics are expecially violent, and try to kill people without warning. It's understandable that you wouldn't know, since you apparently used to be a slave, am I correct?" Sasin said calmly.

He grimanced. This was why kelvic slaves should never be freed. They knew nothing of the world once freed. Still, this one was free, and obviously confused. He might as well try to help this one out. He didn't hate kelvics like Devandre did, he was just distrustful of them.
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tomas on February 26th, 2010, 6:05 am

Tomas listens to everything Aksia has to say. She was right. He should have known better. He was rarely allowed inside buildings other than in his home, so he should have known better than to shift in a place like this. When she asks her questions he looks up and frowns, thinking of an answer. "I don't seek anything... all I really want is to go home, but I can't. So I'm trying to figure out what to do here. And it’s true... I don't know anything about kelvics or anything else." He lowers his head again, ashamed of himself for being so naive.

He shakes his head at Sasin's statement. "No, I wasn't a slave. I was... I lived with Melanie and her father said I was never allowed to show her what I really was. She was my friend, and I loved her, but I showed her myself and..." He trails off for a moment, thinking about everything that happened the night. "She was in trouble.. or so I thought. I had to save her, but I couldn't get into the room as a wolf and so I had no choice. I had to shift to unlock the door. Her father was angry, and he sent me away. He said I could never come back, and so I ended up here."
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

Next