[Rotting Mansion] Those are my people (Open)

Just people of the Berth hanging around the gallows with the Zeltivans

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Bob Barton on January 22nd, 2012, 5:36 am

Bob had quite a few friends in Sunberth that he could trust and he thought that Craevan would be one of them but it did not seem that way. Names after all were a sign of trust, or the first step into developing that trust. It was that lack of trust that the man had which made Bob believe that he will win the game. The attitude that he was giving Valorae should not be winning him any points, at least now as much as the small man himself. However Bob was not going to point this out for Craevan so that he would not lose his advantage in this game. Winning with a reward at the end was always a very sweet deal but he would not have a chance of that of he split away from the man now.

So as distasteful as the suggestion was, Bob gave a smile since "we have it. The things that these Sunberth people like." Of course to win himself more points from Craevan and put him in the lead Bob said that "she won't be stumbling along too much if I am with her, though women don't seem to have too much of an interest in games of chance" especially one such as Valorae that each time that Bob saw her cloak was convinced that she would not have any money to use in the first place. Taking her to a place like Tall Johnny's would only mean he will end up acting as a purse unless she was really going to rob him blind somewhere along the way like he suspected. Another reason why he did not want to leave Craevan's side...for now.

It was the feeling of impending danger he knew that he always needed to look out for everytime he walked out in the streets of Sunberth and like Valorae, Bob found himself taking a quick sweep around the place especially for those men he got into a tussle with earlier. He thought nothing of the woman's actions thinking that she was looking out for better prospects instead and he cannot blame her for that with the way Craevan was treating her. In fact, Bob was really tempted to do the same just to get her away. Her clothes might have hinted poverty but her eyes that were fluttering too much reminded him of some sort of disease. In Sunberth the possibility of finding someone like that easily was not unheard of.

He did not speak his mind, instead giving a laugh when he heard the way that she would get a guide. "I thought that we were all friends here?" he continued on going back to the thoughts that even a Myrian barbarian would make a better friend than a burnt out man. "Friends don't take money from friends...unless its a prize" he mentioned when he looked at Craevan with a smile on his face. To remind the man that there was something at stake in the game if he was going to honour it and that just to get that one coin he might lose it but...if he did not want to listen it was still the same to the gambler.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Valorae on February 16th, 2012, 1:55 am

Valorae…giggled subtlety enough, but she was amused as well. It wasn’t really much of a comical thing, and even then humor with this type of company was frowned upon, to say the least of it. It was really one of those one-two inflections of the sort, unstressed-stressed, some kind of quick chuckle like the hyena would make. It just came as a surprise, to her, that both of the men would be so cautious of a woman. It proved all the more what kind of a town this was…

Sunberth, she reasoned with herself, time and time again, is and seems it always will be a miserable little smear on the face of the world. The pimple on the face of the scum off the streets now laying in the shady corner with a bottle, the unsightly hickey on the neck of a loosely robed lady walking the streets under robes always looking back behind herself, the con at the stand swearing to his own gods as to the bare legitimacy of a product let alone its incredible worth now at a discount, and, of course, the men at the bayside overlooking the execution of men with thriving pleasure, that was Sunberth at its best. How…poetic, the word is, I believe. What was it I heard of the mines and the disaster that resonates through my thoughts? Resonates? Echoes… And then this, God forsaken - all forsake this place – flow of bile from the earth, men and women alike brought in from the west by greed and false promise, processed by these dilapidated walls, and left to slip into the eastern sea to join the rest of the dead.

But I am not among them, and I do not deserve this…treatment. It was I, as I recall so vividly now, who instead had come from the east, and even now move west ward. As if the sun, Syna, herself, I travel across the world at my own pace allowing for the light of my eyes reflect off of the world and come back to me. And then at dusk I too hide my light and watch from the shadows, through them, at shifted figures in the darkness. They are reflections, I know, of the shades that walk the streets by day, equally disfigured and haunting in their ways and appearance at any light of the day, of any day. And I? I am still dull, still…unfulfilled in my ways. Whichever ways they might be… But I feel, I know, this almost memory inside of me far from reach that the world is deeper than we see and realize; that there is more to life than this place of ilk. Crime, to be light, or more appropriately larceny, battery, murder, rape, treacherous lies and unfit flattery, it shines down like the sun on the unjust and even more unjust alike in this place, and justice itself is blotted out by the unjust as if clouds looming over, dark and gloomy…

Alas here we are, two men and I, and a crowd, looking onto the suffering, and looking to our backs in wonder of whether or not we’re next. I might complain, share my observations, my…insight, if I had a damned clue any of them would return such a favor. Some of these scums actually like the way this city is. Any others? Why they complain, in the dark, in near silence, just as well to be sure no harbinger of death in breathing down their necks. And of course, they are, so naturally and acceptably, silenced, in permanence. Yet they would continue to complain, not in person of course the deceased Dira help them, but their friends and company and those of like minds. No one will act though, no one will change their ways. It’s in the hands of the gangs, this city, and only the victor will have a right in that say. No vigilante group has that power, and none of those gangs seems to have the moral sense; the citizens are running about in equal amounts of terror and appreciation of anarchy, and those who join the fold come for the same satisfactions of sadism and masochism alike. Maybe one day…

Valorae looked back up and cleared her face of the loose hair. As wonderful and thankful for any offer as she was, “No thanks,” she said, and looked back to the smidgen below the crowd. Neither of them showed much of an obvious interest, but she had made it clear enough she wasn’t just tossing her way around – as if it mattered to some. She had been still for too long now, and would need to get back. To where? Anywhere but here, for now. If she took her time they’d have plenty of means to follow, as would others as she still checked behind her, and from there, well, who knows.
Valorae
Conflicted

Words: 138871
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 1:25 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Darian on March 5th, 2012, 11:18 pm

No coin jingled in his ears, and no interest forthcoming with either of his 'companions' words. The short ones words drew revulsion in Darian, and the woman was a conniving con artist if he ever saw one. In conclusion, they would not give him what he wanted.

Tossing a single gold rimmed miza to Bob offhandedly. "Enough of words, I have wasted to much time already. To follow me and find your throats slit" He spat before pushing his way through the crowd, disappearing behind the press of bodies. More important matters fought for his attention.

I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Bob Barton on March 12th, 2012, 4:52 am

The prize was only one gold?! That cheapskate. Shouting out behind him Bob said "fine, be that way you scum!" though anyone who would issue to him a threat like that should be called something a whole lot worse. Maybe there was something that Bob could do just to make that man's life slightly more miserable and waste more of his time... As he saw the way the crowd was being pushed away, the very worked up crowd from the day's events he for the idea to announce that "you can slit all the throats you want but count me out. We all know when you get that excited you start slashing just about anyone don't we?" If there was justice in a place like Sunberth someone should go for a pursuit. Should have paid more that a pitiful coin if he wanted to avoid that.

He was not important anyway and Bob turned back to find the woman was following suit. Some people were just too bad an influence for Bob to let them tag along. He rushed over to Valorae telling her that "he's like that but he did tell us to have fun without him" with the gold coin that Bob was showing her. There were only a few ways he could think of how since it was the only things he enjoyed doing but the woman seemed to be needing something else. A pretty face was not enough with all those...fixable problems. Tucking the coin away he asked "do you want to be Lady Luck, Miss Berth or have a few drinks?" The titles seemed mysterious enough to pique her curiosity compared to the boring accurate description of the last he hoped "or we can do all three" if there was time.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Darian on March 18th, 2012, 3:59 am

There was no justice in Sunberth, something even a fool like Bob should have understood. He also should have known better than to disrespect him, though even after that Darian was willing to let him be, but when he called after him in some failing hope to draw a distracted crowds' attention to his form, Darian froze in place, a spasm of loathing darkening his features. The joke of a man had exhausted his usefulness with those last words.

Quickly turning on his heel and disappearing into the mob of people out of sight of the half-wit and the whore, he weaved through men and women alike, looking particularly for the whoever had been following Bob before the petcher managed to get away from them. The tale-peddler had chosen the wrong man to speak insolently to, and Darian intended to sour the man's day with some unwelcome company. "You there, looking for the half man zeltivian sympathizer!" He barked loudly, hoping someone would hear him, and smiling when he noticed some men turned his way, though if they where the men in question or just some interested ruffian's he didn't care. He knew how to speak their language. Bringing his fist forward, a handful of gold rimmed mizas peeked through the flesh of his fingers, and drew greedy stares from all around. With their attention seemingly at hand, he stifled a chuckle at their simple stares, and instead opened his fingers to allow the greedy hands a grab at them and patiently waited for the four strongest of the men to kill any of the others that had made a snatch at 'their' gold.

"Over there lies a short sot that plots to free the men bound to be hanged and deny us the pleasure of seeing the men hanged. Bring his hand to the Pig's foot tavern, and you'll find your pockets filled with gold. May the best of ye win and bring the whoreson what he's deserving of" Darian called out, his grip on his longsword just in case, and letting out a slow breath when the men pushed past him wordlessly. He knew they thought about just killing him and taking what money he had, but he supposed that they were just as eager to torture a small man for his weakness for those to be hanged. Disappearing once more into the crowd, he headed to the tavern but not without making a short stop first.

I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Valorae on March 21st, 2012, 10:40 pm

Before Bob had the chance to stop her, and Darian had made his way, she had a few seconds to reflect.

Craevan…” she said, almost a murmur in the crowd. Inside her head it was clear as the day sky. Of all the characters she would have to deal with, she never suspected those two. Because she was a socialite, she knew the streets and how people worked, just not in Sunberth, not at all.

Bob’s words brought her back around. Valorae figured she had him hooked at least. The malevolence she might intend for others didn’t settle upon Bob. Nothing to the caliber she had experienced, or still yet what was suggested by the glances she received. She was sure to not even brush up against anyone, not even by accident. It’d be a personal death sentence.

She figured his cursing had been the end of it all, and she wanted to start moving in that case. He was drawing much unwanted attention, the midget. His scurrying up behind her improved the situation oh...so…much…

I uh-” she tried to intervene. Bob’s fluidity rushed over her though. “They all sounds quite…lovely.Get him in the alley at least. He can flatter you all he wants, just enough damage has been received here. She wanted to lead him out toward the moving masses, to some short alley she could dart through and get lost back in the crowds.

‘Craevan’ had other plans.

Pig’s Foot. The location made no-sense. She knew the security of darkness and confinement, not – the men were walking right toward her. Even with Darian’s booming voice, the sources of screams near here were overwhelming his words. If he asked for a whore, there were few women to pick from. Darian’s specification and insult to Bob was quickly overlooked. Her paranoid state drove her instantly away from Bob and the oncoming company. She didn’t want to break out running just yet. If anything she wanted her piece of Craevan now, foolishly. She hoped to dig deeper than his purse, but that would help her get by a bit long as well. She was out of time; the plan must be set in motion. Valorae went to take her leave from Bob’s company. There had been enough excitement for the day.
Valorae
Conflicted

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on April 16th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Unaware of a spiteful monster of a man's machinations, Bob went on to do what he did best though there would be a whole lot of women who would say otherwise. They were all a thing of the past though seeing how receptive Valorae was to his suggestions but if that was how it was, why was it she was going away? "She must be playing hard to get" Bob told himself elated with his good fortune since most of the women he had met in Sunberth only wanted two things. Mizas or blood and both were not things that Bob was willing to give up if he had the choice.

It might not be his choice once those vermin that infest Sunberth catches up with him but Bob was blissfully ignorant and continued to tail Valorae asking if "you've already decided?" That was scary because that might mean she is capable of reading his mind! He did not even need to lead her because it looked like she already knew the way and was taking him instead of the other way around. That way? It looked like a shortcut into the closest place that hey could have "a drink?" How dull, unimaginative, boring!

The other suggestions were a whole lot better especially to him so "are you sure you that is all you want?" As much as Bob wanted to push her into taking one of the other two choices, he did not want to seem desperate although...he should have a good look at himself. That being said he was more interested in looking at that alley in front of him. Alone with another woman, was he getting into an ambush? Uncertain, he took a pause and pointed straight down the road ahead saying that "that way is a lot better you know" even if it took more time because Bob wanted to make sure he lived longer than that.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Valorae on May 20th, 2012, 1:00 am

Valorae caught ear of the midget’s squeals. She looked back for a moment, her horn breaking out of the tattered cloak hood. Bob wasn’t giving up, and she wouldn’t give in. She pulled her hood tighter overhead and ducked into the crowd. Maybe she’d lose him?

Her hopes of looking further into the scarred man identity were foiled in turn. It would be too obvious now, and if he had meant what he said then she had a small bounty on her head. Unnamed, and masked in some respect, she had the chance to get away now.

Perhaps you can buy me a drink another time, little man. Just before the alley way she meant to pass through, she diverted left. Maybe she could juke him if he wasn’t on her like a rat, striding through the leg space with his little body. Valorae was just short of jogging by now in her quick paced steps. Once she reached the more open areas, perhaps a market, she could sprint away if she needed. There was no need of drawing unwanted attention in Sunberth. Hopefully Bob would take the hint. She wasn’t playing hard to get.
Valorae
Conflicted

Character sheet

Postby Archelon on September 28th, 2012, 7:31 am

Epilogue:

As Bob and the Ethaefel led a merry run through the back alleys the long legs of the woman would eventually leave him next to a heaving drunk. Who by some good fortune dropped a sack in his path as he stumbled away. A sack, full of mizas. About fifty of them. Sure he had lost a woman, but fate had seen to give him something else to enjoy, right?

However, for Valorae the fates had a different plan in store for her. A turn into another alley netted her face to chest with an armored figure, stunning her senses as the figure leaned down to grab her by the chin. A figure with the clear red tattoo of a daggerhand on his biceps. "Well, well, what do we have here, A dame that just ran into me? You ruined a good shirt, so how are you going to pay for it lass?"

Without waiting for a reply the man struck her savagely across the face, "I think I know how you can pay. Isn't that right? But I don't mind if my woman aren't awake. Just makes things easier"

The man began to savagely beat Valorae into unconscious before reaching up to his belt buckle... only to mutter an gurgling cry later as a dark gloved hand slid a dagger across her attacker's throat. For a moment, the cloaked figure turned to stare at the girl, only to eventually sling her over one shoulder and cart her to parts unknown. Just one more disappearance amidst the streets.

As if lost to time itself.

Thread Award

"..."

And the Results!!!!:

Valorae :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Brawling1
Stealth2
Rhetoric2
Running2

Lores:
Bob Barton, run away!

Bob Barton :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Brawling3 Throwing stuff at prisoners counts
Rhetoric1 FOr the insults
Running3
Seduction1
Subterfuge1

Ledger: + 50 gold mizas

Lores:
Valorae: That beautiful Ethaefel.

Would you like some extra turtle sauce ? :
Interesting thread :) Any questions,comments,or concerns please feel free to send me a nice pm.
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous