OOC Info Alvadas NPC/Location/Creature Creation Center

Alvadas needs YOU!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Alvadas NPC/Location/Creature Creation Center

Postby Tapestry on December 13th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Oh hey! This thing!

We'll move it to a subforum. Thanks for the post and find Ku!
Moderated threads 1/3

PM me! Let's talk plots.
Tapestry
Let me Weave you a Tale

Words: 60922
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 7:45 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Nyxie Nadira Draer on February 21st, 2014, 2:14 am

Thought I'd bump this ;) Alvadas needs it's own Development Forum~

And here's a sneak preview of what I'm working on:

It's a location pic for what could someday be Alvadas' special tattoo studio :D What do you think?

I'm still pondering the details, but feel free to PM me if you have any ideas for the shop :) It'll probably be called 'Chimera Ink', or 'Illusory Ink', or maybe 'Déjà Vu Tattoo', or what about 'FantasInk' ??
Nyxie Nadira Draer
slaver & swindler

Words: 111204
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2013, 3:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Marionette on July 27th, 2014, 5:36 pm

This thread looks like it could use a little bumping or even a remake. In the meantime, if anyone would like to offer up suggestions, this place will continue to do just fine. I'll be trying to sort this thing out and see what has been realized and what was dismissed.

Thanks for the patience, everyone!
Marionette
Retired Staff

Words: 35074
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2014, 5:02 am
Office

Postby Kuvarakh on July 27th, 2014, 8:14 pm

BUZZBUGS

The djed storm of Spring, 512 unleashed many wonders and horrors upon the struggling remnants of Mizahar’s civilization. Not all of them became apparent immediately. Some waited hidden, their metamorphosis restrained or incomplete, waiting to be triggered by a last, simple event.

Such an event occurred in the Winter of that same year in the city of Alvadas. A well intended act of alchemy, meant to craft nothing more than a tribute of art to the Temple of Ionu, applied the last layer of alteration to the nest of bugs within the huge block of altered wood, now a blend of the properties of wood, stone, glass and the colorful mystery of “Ionu’s Stars”.

It is unlikely that anyone will ever know whether it was the storm, the materials used, the transmutative power of alchemy, or the exact combination of all three that brought about the change. But the nest of termites, normally no more than a nuisance, became a stone-devouring swarm of tiny, metal-bodied, magic resistant monsters that ravaged several buildings and threatened the Temple itself.

The alchemist responsible resolved the situation with the use of magnets and metal plates, in a desperate alchemical trap that nearly cost him his life as the bugs maimed him horribly before getting caught in the magnetic pull and stuck to the metal. Many people helped to carry the plates to a lake formed by Ionu to drown them, as it was believed that, regardless of the ferrous makeup of their bodies, they still needed air to live.

With the mischievous nature of Ionu’s random shuffling of the town, it is impossible to guess where this drowned nest may lie. It is also noteworthy to mention that the alchemical transmutations themselves were done under greatly different degrees of haste and concentration. It is entirely possible that the half-life duration of the magnetic trap may wane long before the bugs themselves return to their normal state. But then, they are hoped to be drowned anyway, so it shouldn’t matter…
Last edited by Kuvarakh on August 1st, 2014, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALCHEMY.....When evolution is just too slow.

CS - Plotnotes - Alvadas Linkmap - Dev Thread - Grading - Architectrix
Kuvarakh
ties a rope to a tree and hangs the world

Words: 656536
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kuvarakh on July 27th, 2014, 9:11 pm

The Unchanging Oracle

In the woods of southern Kalea, approximately equidistant from Alvadas, Sultros, Kalinor and the Falandyrean ruins of Syka, sit the remains of an odd structure, void of any obvious significance. But any who stumble upon it become aware of its odd nature. There is a presence there that has great knowledge of past events, and may be persuaded to reveal somewhat if properly motivated. Understanding what may prompt this sentience to share its knowledge, however, is difficult to ascertain, even by scholars.

There is the added issue of the strange hostility toward any intruder’s presence. This hostility manifests as a sort of bad luck that immediately besets any visitors within a few miles with seemingly natural hazards. Sudden sharp winds blowing branches free to strike; animals that would normally be shy among humans suddenly becoming aggressive and attacking; storms blowing in to present the threat of lightning; flash floods, rock slides, etc. Some have even claimed to have been confronted by a man, with the glint of insanity in his eyes. This last scenario stems from the nature of this location’s origin.

During the war prior to the Valterian, a Nuit master alchemist conceived a theory to make his body as immortal as his spirit. He learned of the phenomenon of Qamur, a natural, djed-charged awareness which abhors change. An ancient holdover, possibly from the original birth of the world, Qamur develops randomly, lashing out at anything which tries to bring growth or change. There is speculation that the entire world may have been “Qamur” at the beginning.

The alchemist reasoned that if he could imbue his body with this nature, it would be changeless for eternity. For years, he studied patterns of rumors and documented accounts of this phenomenon and readied a body into which to transfer. And when the time and location was right, he took his activation ring and set out with a party of assistants to imbue his body with this manifest changelessness.

ImageTo his great fortune and misfortune, The Valterian struck during his activation and he was affected to a degree beyond what he had hoped or anticipated. Both his body and mind were fused with the of Qamur. While he was graced with the physical permanence he sought, he found that he could never again leave that patch of woods. For over five hundred years he has been bound to this spot. And while he has access to all the Qamur’s amassed awareness of history prior to The Valterian, he knows almost nothing of what has transpired since.
Last edited by Kuvarakh on September 23rd, 2014, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuvarakh

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kuvarakh on August 2nd, 2014, 10:06 pm

ALVADAS CITY MAP

The blessings of Alvadas' patron deity, Ionu, again make illusion a reality!

In this case, the illusion is the idea that any map could ever be made that could truly help visitors, or even citizens, find their way around the ever-shifting layout of Alvadas' street plan. But miracles DO happen, albeit for considerable cost.

The Temple of Ionu has announced the development of a map that is graced by the divine understanding of Ionu himself...herself? And for a cost of only two hundred gold mizas, payable to the Temple, this wonder can be yours. Is that too much to pay to always know which direction you need to go to find your destination, in a city where this changes off and on throughout the day?

Now, it is important to understand that this is not immunity from the illusions with which Ionu scrambles the reality of the city's buildings, streets, parks, scenery...and hazards. But it gives the owner a decided edge in avoiding any temporarily undesired features. As the city changes, so does the map. When a new reshuffling occurs, the map becomes momentarily blank, only to fill in upon completion, rendering an accurate depiction of the most recent new layout.

Starting out, one need only touch the spot on the map where their destination lies, and this location will be highlighted at every change, allowing for quick and sure adjustment of the path one takes, until they reach their destination, free of confusion. Once reached, the alignment of the physical location of the map, with the highlighted destination shown ON the map, clears the effect of the map's amazing ability, freeing it up for the next choice.

It is equally important to understand that the map stops working when one leaves the confines of the city proper. But you may be assured that it will begin working again at the next shuffling after reentering. One need only wait at any of Alvadas' beautiful locations. There is always one nearby, regardless of the current layout

So, visit the Temple, and get one of these remarkable works of mystery and art today.

Kuvarakh

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Marionette on August 13th, 2014, 12:02 am

Okay, guys. I'm in the process of completely sorting through this thing. So far, I am still going through it, but some of my decisions are as follows:

1. NPC: Jahoma - Because the PC who submitted this is retired(?), I see no reason to approve this submission at this time. If the activity changes, please resubmit this or instead have him registered in the Help Desk since this was for your own PC.

2. Torch Leaf - I like the concept of this, but a few things could be different. In this write up, it says that the medicinal qualities can only be used in Alvadas, but I don't think that makes much sense. If this plant is only found here, then wouldn't it be better if it could be considered rare and sold in powders or salves?

Also, I could be wrong, but Ionu is the god of illusions. A plant can be poisonous, but I don't think it would be Ionu intent, so saying, "the mythical properties placed on it by Ionu " doesn't seem to have much to do with it, does that make sense? I do think it's interesting/amusing that a tree that treats burns can also give you one as well. xD

3. Hissing Lily - I like this. A flower that bites? I'll approve this, and hopefully maybe get it an official place to go in the wiki.

4. Weedle - This name reminds me of the Pokemon. xD Would you consider a name change? This is an interesting concept although I don't see the side effects as being worth the gain. I have a few questions about this, but since the PC who wrote this up is inactive, I may have to think this over a bit more before giving it my full approval. If any other players have suggestions or ideas about this, let me know.

5. Lound Vortos - Other than being the occasional source of information, I don't really know where this NPC would go. He wanders but I'm not exactly sure what his purpose is. I hope I don't sound like a jerk. D;

6. Mintononos - Wow, that creature has a confusing name! Interesting, but since Alvadas already changes at will, having creatures that do the same thing to camouflage themselves seems almost redundant to me. I do like the idea, I really do, but some things stand out to me. They are similar to pycons, you say? And morph into everyday objects and yet they eat? I feel like food would not be necessary. You said they will set traps and hide, but what kind? How elaborate are these pranks? And you say they are magic and it can grow weak but they are blessed by Ionu? So is this creature an animal that is limited by magic or a type of inanimate object thing that was given the ability to change by Ionu, or something completely different given life by alchemy experts? Maybe I'm just not understanding but because there are so many what-ifs and things, this submission will have to be denied approval for now.

7. Gutterton's Finest - This may have been approved? I think I see the approval stamp from Fallacy, but I don't see this added as a location in the link map? I don't mind re-approving this and seeing if Mirage can put this up.

8. Jool's Py-ken Dojo I really, really like the idea of getting more things for Pycons in the city. I want all races to have their special things, but the problem is that I want more of a description for the dojo other than a picture. What can you expect when you walk in, what areas of fighting are offered as instruction, how much does this cost, etc. I think it would also be a good idea to add another NPC, unless Jool is teaching registered fighting classes. For more personalized training, I would think Jool would be too busy, in theory. Once another NPC is created, you should split up the skills a bit. Jool seems a bit overpowered, and there needs to be more balance there. Approval pending/denied at the moment.

To be continued! Almost finished, guys!

Marionette
Retired Staff

Words: 35074
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2014, 5:02 am
Office

Previous