Enter The Sanguine Seer [Sanctuary *Open*]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Enter The Sanguine Seer [Sanctuary *Open*]

Postby As'Fien on March 12th, 2010, 9:28 pm

[510, 3 of Spring]

She had her head on straight, it was just... straight in the air.

Such were the gibes she got from her two older sisters, but it didn't bother her much. Her Aquamarine eyes were always in another world even when they were focused. Though her dear father saw she has intelligence, he feared that her "looking her finest" in her arcane robes would put off the Sancuary when she was looking for a cooking job. Still, at a taller-than-average 6'0", her red robes fluttered behind her with the jingle of her many bangles heralding her arrival.

She paused to stare airily at the Temple in front of her and blinked for a moment, Her Konti hair had many braids with various odd bangles which didn't match her outfit most of the time. Copper trinkets, glass baubles... they were even hanging on her belt. Ah well, she made for a good fortune teller!

The problem was, she was aspiring to be a cook.

My, there were so many stairs! Her attention kept bouncing all over the place from the stabled horses, to the lofty towers which seemed to reach eons above her. She had a lot going for her despite her different choice of attire, so she wasn't too worried. Though flighty, she had enough intelligence to know that she was a precious commodity...

Single.

Though she was an oddball, it was that oddball nature of hers which would be a draw. On the grounds of the God of Discipline, she knew that was one thing that she had to get a concept of in a hurry. She had made things for her friends at home, but trying to cook on a regular basis... well... that was something to get used to. Of course, warriors had to eat, so this was the best place to start training in the culinary world. Perhaps she would expand her fortune-telling skills here as well!

Her gaze flitted around as she took the place in, taking her sweet time climbing the long stairs. While most of her things were still at home, it would be a matter of time before she had to find a place of her own.

She was looking at a passing bird when she tripped on the last stair before the open area and she yelped as she ended up sprawled on the ground with the clanging of her various bangles making a chaotic chorus of chimes. Sitting up to her knees, she wrinkled her blue-freckled nose and tinted her cheeks with a rosy blush, hoping nobody saw that.
As'Fien
Player

Words: 19791
Joined roleplay: March 12th, 2010, 2:06 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Re: Enter The Sanguine Seer [Sanctuary *Open*]

Postby Kavala on March 13th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Kavala wasn't used to seeing other Konti besides her sister. And she certainly wasn't used to seeing them covered with bangles. It was an odd sight, one that caused her to raise a snowy eyebrow and curve her lips upwards in almost a smile. Almost. She was perched on the balcony above the stairs overlooking the sea reading a book. It kept her concealed from the view of people passing through unless they happened to look up and towards the back of the balcony, but gave her a great view from the second story out across the Suvan Sea. It was one of her favorite places of all in Sanctuary, and a spot she planned to reproduce on the other side of the building so there was a deck overlooking the courtyard as well.

As soon as they had the money.

Money was a big issue. Right now they had roughly thirty horses, mostly foals, that only a select few would be kept. The rest would be sold as weanlings or traded as riding horses. She was getting one and all of them ready for such an adventure. It just depended upon who came along and needed a mount. So, with this thought in her mind, she saw the woman walk up the steps and trip almost at the front door, and she assumed she was a customer. Someone that clumsy would need a horse for certain. Kavala rose in one swift motion, walked to the edge of the balcony, and called out.

"Are you alright? Hang on... I'll be down in just a minute."

The voice and figure which the other Konti might mistake for a boy upon first impressions disappeared into the building and reappeared soon after coming out the front door looking concerned. It was another konti, a slip of a thing, that reached As'Fen in seconds after she first spoke. The girl looked worried and tilted her head, but knew enough not to offer a hand up until the stranger indicated she might want some or need some.

"I'm Kavala. Welcome to Sanctuary. Are you okay? Is there anything I can do to help?"
She introduced herself again, then repeated her first question still concerned.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby As'Fien on March 13th, 2010, 5:23 pm

"Ahhh... there I go again!"

Brushing one of her braided bangles from her aquamarine eyes, she looked up rather distantly at the other Konti. She had strange blue freckles across her cheeks as she wrinkled her nose with a sheepish smile.

"Oh. I believe so, thank you. I'm As'Fien! ... Eh... pardon me if it takes a few times to get your name. Hav... no... it started with a K..."

She got up slowly, absently dusting off her red robes. With a couple of blinks, she mimicked Kavala's own tilt of the head, looking honestly befuddled. Her long fingers ran through her hair as she fidgeted, grasping at mental straws trying to remember the Konti's name.

"Well, I'm sure the 'v' is in there somewhere. Kev? Kav-ela? Sorry. Well, it's always nice to see a Konti outside of the family! Pleased to meet you!"

She curtsied respectfully, taking in the visual appearance of the person before her. Her visual memory was much better than her verbal, but if Kavala were to cut her hair, As'Fien would be in trouble to remember her.

"Uhm... I just came of age not long ago. I'm good at cooking and fortune telling, but I've just entertained my friends... I'm here to learn discipline and making a way for myself. Maybe an apartment if I'm lucky. My father has some money reserved for me to find a place to call home... oh... and I'm a fortune teller! I just need to find a job as a cook! ... Wait... I said that already."

No, she wasn't drunk, as she stood straight. Her eyes were bright and not on any drugs... that was just the way she was. She stood extremely tall like a lithe tree. The focus in her eyes seemed to be in another world even as she stared at Kavala. She realized something as a perk of life jumped in her eyes.

"Oh! Right! Who would I speak to about a job here?"
As'Fien
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on March 14th, 2010, 1:44 am

"Kavala" The konti supplied. It was no big deal that the other woman couldn't remember her name. Kavala felt it was singularly forgetful anyhow. The healer didn't offer her a hand up. Around Riverfall that could be considered a weakness and slightly offensive, and Kav didn't want to offend anyone especially upon a first time meeting. When the girl curtsied and then smiled, Kavala returned her smile wondering suddenly if there was something really wrong with As'Fien or if she was just singularly absentminded. Kavala was always serious, to the point some would suggest she didn't have much of a sense of humor. But when someone got to know her, it was obvious that she did, only that she was incredibly private about it.

But one thing she did know was that people were singularly gifted. They weren't universally great about everything, and if the woman could cook, that was one thing, the rest of her personality had little to do with it right?

"Learn discipline? Did your family send you out into the world?"
It happened sometimes, the old casting the young out to get a little world wise before letting them settle back in. "We've a need for a cook here, absolutely, but I'm afraid we don't have much of a kitchen. We're remodeling, but I can show you what we do have...." Kavala said, opening the front door wide, and gesturing that As'Fien was welcome to join her within. The doorway lead them into a sort of waiting room - an animal medicine clinic. "This is it... Sanctuary. The barns are out back in a square that form a courtyard, but this whole downstairs is a healing center for animals. The closest thing we have to a kitchen is a Philtering Lab..." Kavala lead the way, through another doorway and into an actually well stocked laboratory. "We have a hearth outside that we cook on, keeping most of the food stuffs here. And on the other side of the building in this same location is my office. I am tempted to move it upstairs and turn that area into a kitchen and herbariam so we have a place to not mix poisons with food. What do you think? We could actually put a second hearth in the wall here so we can cook indoors in the winter." She added, leading As'Fien into another room that was obviously an office linked to the courtyard outside. Both the philtering lab and the office had stairways. The lab had one running downwards into a basement, the one in the office ran upstairs into what appeared to be living quarters.

"I can show you more of the place if your thus far interested. What sort of salary would you be willing to take? We'd provide housing too and the food to cook with, though you'd be asked to groom horses, clean stalls, or otherwise help out around the place... maybe making medicines or treats for the horses or even drying herbs and gardening."
Kavala said. "Everyone here works to make the whole place run smooth." She said... leaning a hip against a doorframe, waiting to see what As'Fien thought of the rather primitive conditions (in terms of a cook) thus far.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby As'Fien on March 15th, 2010, 4:57 am

As'Fien was not phased that this place was less pretty than her house. The only time she seemed to mind was a finger she put on the ledges for dust. Even then, she didn't seem to be in disgust, but she would sometimes blow on the area to let the dust particles fly in front of her face. Her attention was all over the place, leaning down to examine things. From the walls, to the equipment, her nose was all over the place getting a closer look at the new and interesting place.

"We have a hearth outside that we cook on, keeping most of the food stuffs here. And on the other side of the building in this same location is my office. I am tempted to move it upstairs and turn that area into a kitchen and herbariam so we have a place to not mix poisons with food. What do you think? We could actually put a second hearth in the wall here so we can cook indoors in the winter."

"If something explodes in here, you might be in trouble... particularly living upstairs!"

Oh! She had been paying attention! Her eyes blinked for a moment as she turned back to Kavala after that comment.

"Better a fire to start upstairs, I'd think. The stairs are right there and downwards is much easier to escape... It would also be easier to clean a hearth up there rather than have an air... thing here and clean two stories..."

Her attention darted back to the lab, not having the Philtering equipment that she had at home. Quite frankly, there was a lot here that she wish she had! It wasn't a kitchen, but a lot of fun things could be refined here! She poked at a few jars with an enraptured look on her face. Diverting her attention back to Kavala, she followed her obediently.
"I can show you more of the place if your thus far interested. What sort of salary would you be willing to take? We'd provide housing too and the food to cook with, though you'd be asked to groom horses, clean stalls, or otherwise help out around the place... maybe making medicines or treats for the horses or even drying herbs and gardening." Kavala said. "Everyone here works to make the whole place run smooth." She said... leaning a hip against a doorframe, waiting to see what As'Fien thought of the rather primitive conditions (in terms of a cook) thus far.

"Hmmm..."

Her airy gaze looked to the ceiling as she just wobbled back and forth on antsy feet like a palm tree in a brisk wind. It took her a few seconds as she looked at her clothes and rummaged through a pocket inside.

"I have a few ideas... not sure what the future will hold if I go with those ideas. If you don't mind... could you spare me a few pieces of paper with a quill and ink. I like this place, but... I want both of us to prosper. May I read the future of this endeavor? If I'm going to blow up your lab, it's a good idea to know now, right?"

She took out a deck of cards from her pocket, tilting her head at her fellow Konti. Surely a sister of Avalis would realize this is a good idea!

"I have a... strange view of the future. A person can throw a pebble into a river, but if they throw it a certain way, it can land in another place... it still ends up in the river, but giving it a small tork causes it to skip across the water. I... prefer to throw with a tork and place events where the rock skips... If I throw it this way, where will it land? ... I tend to be more accurate this way, because merely telling you what the future holds may cause things to change. My current plan is to say yes... I even have money that my father gave me to find a new place which could help you... however, I do not have a lot of experience with Philtering which could cause more damage than the money."

She knew her spacey nature led to accidents. Accidents in a lab wouldn't be as kind to her as other things. She respected the position enough to know that her limits could be more trouble than they were worth. If nothing else, she could prove herself as a fortune teller and use her gift from Avalis for other purposes here. She started to fidget with her hair with one hand as she held her cards in the other.

"If there is any other plan inquiries you have while I set things up, I could look at those as well... I don't have my crystals here with me, so if you have any quartz or other gems I could use as a focus, those can help too."

A tone in her voice didn't feel confident enough in using the lab as a kitchen. Her gaze wandered away from Kavala, fretting over the results which may occur if such a case happened.
As'Fien
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on March 17th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Kavala smiled. "Well, I wasn't planning on something exploding, truth be told." Kavala had an incredibly meticulous nature. She was fastidious to a fault, analytical, and very careful with how she stored things and what wore labels and what didn't. "And honestly, there's no other place for me to live but upstairs. And I don't want to have to haul wood, cooking supplies, water, and the like up stairs every time I want to cook. That's why it has to be down here, either attached to the philtering lab or my office. I can easily move my office upstairs, but not so much in regards to the kitchen." She said, laughing gently as she gave the tour.

"Yes, but hauling wood up, water... all the ingredients... its better down here, perhaps on the wall leading to the veranda so we can cook from both sides. We've actually been cooking on the outdoor hearth in the middle of the facility. It's more of a burn pile than anything."
Kavala said shaking her head slightly embarrassed at this fact. If they would have had a real kitchen, one she planned when she was setting up the place, they would have not perhaps had to deal with Sorian getting hurt - being badly burned by tripping over the hearth.

"Yes, its a good idea to know..."
Kavala said, in response to the query about the future. She retrieved the ink, pen, and paper from her office and handed them to As'Fien. Leaning curiously against a counter, the Konti watched the fortune teller with interest.

"Uh... other inquiries? I'm not sure... I... well yes. I want to know if I will be happy here. At Sanctuary... if all this work I'm doing is for a good reason?"
Kavala said, looking thoughtful. She was curious, of course, but wasn't sure she bought into fortune telling. Having been raised on the Sea of Grass she wasn't used to the standard konti gifts.

"How did you learn fortune telling? That seems like such a useful skill."
The healer said softly, looking thoughtful. She was curious about the outspoken lovely young konti, but wasn't sure if it was possible for someone to be as exactly opposite as her. But it was almost as if As'Fien was.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby As'Fien on March 19th, 2010, 2:01 am

"Oh... right..."

It took a couple times to explain to her as that blank stare blinked a few times as Kavala went on about carrying things. After making that realization, she nodded to herself and shrugged before meandering to an open part of one of the tables. Her mind liked to wander, so it would take her a bit to write the glyph needed to focus her divination powers.

"My sister was married to a human Merchant Family... her gifts lie in predicting trade. She came back here to settle after her husband passed in order to find a new husband. A general statement such as "will I be happy here" is usually hard to get accurate. You get better results if you put some action behind it... such aaaaas..."

She paused from her glyph work for a moment to look at the ceiling in a daze. Pausing a couple of seconds, her focus returned to her glyph work.

"Will I be more happy as an administrator or a worker? ... If I left this place, would I be miserable. Action to reaction statements tend to hit the heart of matters more... squarely. You can throw a pebble in a pond, but how you throw it tells you were it ends up at the bottom."

It was a couple more minutes before she finished the glyph. It was primarily a focus area, so it was rather simple, it was just making sure the ink was even. It seemed to take all of her willpower to remain in one place for a long time as her foot began to tap impatiently as she got the glyph in order.

"Alright, Miss Kavala... write your inquiry on the paper and I will put it in the center of the glyph and give you four cards on the verdict... one for the past events which have effected the situation, present events affecting the situation, and future events which will... you guessed it... affect the situation. The final card is the "universal verdict", leaning towards one side or the other."
As'Fien
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on March 19th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Kavala wasn't sure if she liked As'Fien or not. The woman was frankly scattered. It was somewhat like talking to someone who didn't fully focus on you or didn't actually pay much attention to what shes was doing.

"More action? No... I know those answers already. I'm far better off with control yet being able to get down and dirty with my hands. I am both the administrator and the worker. I do not want to leave this place. I like it. Its only slowly now coming together to be realized. If I left, I would be miserable. I want to specifically if I will be happy here. It's just that simple."
Kavala said firmly. She knew what she wanted, and if this strange Konti wanted to read her fortune, that was fine, but SHE was going to be asking the question, not letting the seer decide what question to ask. After all, it was her life and she was uniquely qualified as to what she wanted to know and if she was going to get out of it what she wanted.

Happiness. That's all.

"Glyphing is a type of arcana... for storage. Why do you need to use it for telling a fortune? Fortune Telling isn't an arcana. They are unrelated."
Kavala was instantly suspicious. Sure the woman was Konti. Sure she seemed sweet. But she wasn't going to write what she wanted in the glyph to be stored there forever. "Everyone knows you store things in Glyphs. I don't want my happiness stored there. Or even the question of it. I'm sorry, but I will not write anything on that paper. I hope you understand." Kavala said.

She was starting to think maybe it wasn't a good idea to hire this woman. She didn't come with any references, and frankly advising a hearth to be moved upstairs seemed a bit well... silly.

"If you cannot do the reading without the glyph, I understand, and we can skip it altogether. I just don't feel like knowing anything else other than will I be happy, and I'm not writing anything down."
Writing was power, purpose, focus.... it was in essence a part of herself. Kavala was konti enough to totally understand this.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Akela on March 19th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Akela could swear she had heard her sister speak, and she was confident enough in Kavala's sanity to decide she wasn't talking to herself. These days the Konti was Sanctuary's self-proclaimed security officer, but there was precious little to do in this capacity and so she helped around the place as best she could. Truthfully there wasn't a lot she could do decently until they finished building the forge, and even then she would have to retrain herself and convert her skills from smithing blades to horseshoes.

The Konti looked pretty much like Kavala, except she carried a mean-looking katana (even in the middle of house chores) and had a much more bolsterous aura about her. Unlike Kavala, there was nothing quiet or soft-spoken about Akela. She certainly did not lack confidence in her opinions, nor the disposition to express them loud and clear. And as she stepped into the room and her eyes fell upon the visiting Konti - an unusual-looking one at that - she could not help but grin.

"So sorry for intruding, I just happened to hear my sister mention cooking and I had to make sure everything was all right." Her eyes cast an amused sideways glance at Kavala. "She has so many qualities, but sometimes her cooking is... not quite as dead as it should be." Her teasing accomplished, Akela blinked and finally took notice of As'Fien's divination apparatus. "I see we have more Konti per square foot here than in Mura's town square. I'm Akela, Kavala's older sister."

She folded her arms across her chest. Fortune telling for the Konti. Some would equate it to selling sand to the Benshira. "So, what's cooking, folks?" she asked, curious to know what was going on. Akela was the security officer, after all. There were unwanted guests at times, over-zealous salesmen who put their feet in the doorway trying to sell you this and that. Kavala sometimes had a hard time saying no (Sorian was proof of that), but that was exactly what sword-wielding older sisters were for.
Akela
Chains that free

Words: 45104
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2009, 11:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Flick on March 22nd, 2010, 7:19 am

Flick panted as her small feet pitter-pattered across the rocky ground, little pink tongue flittering with each breath. Her huge batlike ears turned this way and that as she loped along, bringing her to a full stop at times, head turned directly to the ground and eyes intense. The small golden fennec was hunting, or she was now. Earlier she had been running, chased away from the most wonderful smelling refuse by an annoyed butcher. Stiff! He threw away those bones out the back, what did he expect her to do? Yipping as he ran after her, the kelvic had soon lost him in the city streets, but hunger had driven the fox out into the rocks, outside of the city. There were bugs and small mammals to be had.

Moving along as her sensitive ears heard nothing, she glanced up, wide dark eyes catching a building in the distance, down the river. The Sanctuary, so it was called. She'd heard of it, but had not visited it. Making a decision, she turned her tiny feet toward the building and broke into a scurried run, nails tickering on the steps as she climbed them. Pausing, she veered sharply off course to investigate the curious smells of animals. Horses, hay, straw...dogs. Stopping suddenly, she concentrated on that smell, sniffing for a long time. Dogs were big, and barky, and they tended to chase her. Bad dogs. Lifting her head, ears turning back and forth she listened for them. But there wasn't much of anything, except oh! What was that?! She tilted her head, listening to voices further up the staircase. Pink tongue lolling again, she turned back to the stairs and proceeded to climb, slinking in through an ajar door. Following her ears, she ticked across the floor, through another room and into another.

Stopping, she ducked back behind the doorframe of the first and peeked out at the trio of pale white Konti in the other room, huge ears pricked up and facing foward. It paid to be cautious when you were little, but curiousity always got the best of her.
Flick
Streetfox

Words: 59171
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Next