Spring Fling?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Spring Fling?

Postby Colin Oliver on January 4th, 2012, 6:10 am

Would it be possible to have a world-wide party where people gathered from all over Mizahar to celebrate the 1st day of spring?

There can be a 10GM ticket to get in to the party. A sign-up thread goes up where anyone who wants to join puts their name down and takes the 10GM out of their ledger. On the day before the 1st of spring, a post will go up that splits everyone who has signed up into random groups of 3 or 4.

Basically the group of people has been assigned to a table at the party. The group then continues partying in their own separate threads where the ticket money can be awarded to players for things such as being the life of the party, being the best dancer, being the biggest gossip, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas? Criticism?

Colin Oliver

Words: 17949
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2011, 7:51 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Spring Fling?

Postby Siiri on January 4th, 2012, 6:35 am

If you're holding this in Syliras, I can be there around mid to late Fall... :P
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Spring Fling?

Postby L'orlei on January 4th, 2012, 4:24 pm

My main criticism is how? The idea of a world-wide party would mean the world has to not only get along, but also has a means of getting everybody to the party location. It takes seasons to travel across Mizahar, and unless the gods step in a help us get there its really not feasible. And Goss wouldn't like that one bit. She already said something about no short cuts in travel. It's an okay idea, if it were possible, but gathering people from across the world all in one place is pretty much impossible. It would take at the very least a year to plan, enough time to send out invitations and for people to make travel arrangements and actually arrive. Assuming everything went smoothly.

Anyway, I just don't think such a gathering would be possible.
Kontinese - Green | Common - White | Tukant - Cyan
L'orlei
Player

Words: 139554
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2011, 8:03 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Spring Fling?

Postby Leviathan on January 4th, 2012, 5:14 pm

I can count fewer groups of people that would be likely to arrive, over those that wouldn't.

Being in such a dangerous world, I'm pretty sure almost every race/city/society has concerns about travel, not to mention some just have difficulty surviving daily.

Like the Inarta and Drykas are both miserably poor in the food supplies area during winter, so Spring is their first and best chance to recover from starvation. I'm sure there's plenty of other places that also suffer in the extreme cold of winter as well.

Myrians, who would really want to invite them anyway? Sorry Siiri, but you know better than most why they would be avoided.

I can't imagine Eypharians would accept such a gathering unless it was in their fashion and in their own homes (and they had control of the guest list, which would be very small in that case).

Overall, I just can't see it happening, or at least being entirely successful.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Spring Fling?

Postby Leviathan on January 4th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Not to mention, I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting at a table with a family of Svefra on my left taking my belongings, and a few Rhysol-Zealots muttering on my right.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Spring Fling?

Postby Siiri on January 4th, 2012, 9:14 pm

But Myrians are the life of the party! And if we come in number, we're usually the only life in the party... XD

Should I start walking now? Maybe I can make it early Fall if I run half the time!

I kid, kid. :P

Seriously though, Levi's right. Not only would the commute suck, there's no place where you can fit that many people (except maybe Taloba, and hey! Everyone's welcome there! Dinner's on us Myrians.) Plus, everyone doesn't exactly get along with each other. It would turn out more like a Royal Rumble than anything if you can even get groups of different races in one place.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Spring Fling?

Postby Colin Oliver on January 5th, 2012, 1:27 am

:( I see.

Well if it wouldn't work on a worldwide scale, would it work within each city? Or would there be a shortage of attendees?
Colin Oliver

Words: 17949
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2011, 7:51 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Spring Fling?

Postby Leviathan on January 5th, 2012, 3:18 am

That would depend on the city and local customs. I'm sure some have celebrations for the upcoming warmth of the new year, but it would vary with different racial flavors and traditions.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Spring Fling?

Postby Krivak on January 5th, 2012, 3:29 am

I'm sure several cities have celebrations similar, or for that same date/reason.

Avanthal -
The Departure and Homecoming of Morwen- Every winter Morwen leaves Avanthal to spread the cold of Winter throughout the rest of Mizahar. At the end of Fall and at the beginning of Spring there are celebrations for Morwen. The entire city is lit up and alive in Morwen's honor. All of the holds participate in making the celebration the best and happiest time for Morwen. Morwen hates to leave the Vantha and the Vantha hate to see her go, so they see The Departure, as it is called, as one last celebration before she departs. The Homecoming is a much bigger and brighter celebration. The Vantha rejoice in the happiness that Morwen will be with them for another three seasons.

Sultros -
The first day of Spring marks the birth of Isengir Izurus Sultros and is known as the Day of the King. This day is filled with celebration and prayer while many Isur dedicate completed works in the name of King Sultros as well as Izurdin. It is considered the holiest of days where in fact all Isurian kings are honored all the way back to King Izurith, mortal son of Izurdin. Prior to the Valterrian, this holiday did not exist

Wind Reach - I'm sure they probably celebrate the first day as well since they celebrate everything.
The Inarta use any excuse to celebrate holidays.

Kalinor - Here's a maybe, doesn't specify the date.
Swiata vo Viratas, The Festival of Viratas:

In spring, when flowers bloom and green takes over the land above, the Symenestra in their underground city celebrate.

Taloba -
Anniversary of the Valterrian: Carrying over from the last day of winter, this is a day of remembrance. The dead are remembered, and survival celebrated.

Black Rock -
The Day of the Dead is as seasonal festival that celebrates the dead and dying, as well as welcoming the newly dead to the ranks. It occurs each season, usually in the beginning.

Endrykas -
Spring: Feast of Life

Early spring is a particularly spiritual time for the Drykas people, they honor the Gods and Goddesses that continue to bring life to their grassland home. Great displays of light, costume, and generosity are celebrated amongst pavilions alike, with all conflicts aside; the Drykas moto during this time is to 'start anew'. Reimancers, dancers, and performers alike showcase their art on stage in pubs and on outdoor platforms sectioned off with an audience of cushions and tables. The entirity of the Drykas people traveling with Endrykas take this time to renew their personal goals and replenish their spirits, and the theme of courtship and love is emphasized during this time as they follow the rhythm of nature's regeneration of life. It can be expected that during this time, the seeds of love are planted and from them grow blossoms of love and families to carry on the Drykas legends.

The first day is spent setting up the Endrykas encampment; horseclan members scatter themselves around the center of their traditional firepit, which is where the Stalk Meet takes place. From the center out, Drykas pavilians and tents are erected in a sequence of circles over the land as visitors of the city make camp on the outskirts - increasing the overall size of Endrykas by sometimes three times its size. By nightfall before the Drykas consume their meal for the night, everyone takes part in a city wide ceremony of prayer each night, paying their respects to first Semele, Zulrav, and Caiyha, and then each individual personally pays homage to any other Gods and Goddesses they worship.

Riverfall - Maybe this one too.
Day of Revival – This day is celebrated on the coming of the spring rains. Usually before the 15th day of spring, The Akalak take comfort in the fact that winter is finished and the city stirs more than when winter froze everything. The rains indicate crops will grow and the race will survive another year and for this they celebrate Makutsi and pay respects for Bala in order for her to bless the growing season.

Yahebah -
The Great Mourning: Held on the first day of spring, the Great Mourning is a time of reflection and thanks marking the anniversary of the Valterrian. Benshira will walk the walls of Yahebah and mend any damage caused by the previous year. If brick are replaced, they usually bear the names of those who passed in the previous year.

Hope this helps some, I found all of this in the Wiki.
Krivak
Player

Words: 49903
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2011, 7:07 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes