[Location] Garden of Concubines

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

Postby Colombina on July 17th, 2009, 11:24 pm

The Garden of Concubines

When asked why a female would maintain a garden of concubines, Pressorah Bashti answered, "What is more indicative of power and wealth than the needless promotion of beauty? And nothing is more beautiful or needless than a concubine for my palace."

However, the Pressorah was more pragmatic than she alluded. The garden's concubines are fit for service in her palace as attending maids, dancers and musicians. It is also common for concubines to be gifted to favored nobles or purchased from the Pressorah at a great price.

Concubines come from all over Eyktol, and include every desert dwelling people. Races from beyond Eyktol are rare, and not particularly desired. Entrance into the gardens is won by competing in the seasonal pageant or through petition to the Pressorah herself during public audiences.

The pageant begins with a preliminary inspection of the women, after which more than half are sent away as unacceptable. The remaining women are hosted at the garden for a month. Under the watchful eye of the Gardeners, the women are treated to perfumed baths, costly fragrances, fine clothes and royal jewelry. Each contestant has a great deal of leeway in deciding how to adorn herself before the day of the pageant where each will present herself to the Pressorah and her nobles.
If deemed suitable, the highest ranking male noble will throw a peacock feather at the contestant's feet.

This is only the beginning of a concubine's life. From this instant on, she is property of the Pressorah, and she will be groomed and taught with all the pomp and splendor that association implies. In exchange for luxury and education, a concubine forfeits her autonomy. She is a revered object of art, but an object nonetheless. Only old age, purchase, or the will of the Pressorah can release a concubine from her jeweled manacles.

"The Garden" refers to both the marble structure where the concubines are housed and given lessons, and the fragrant greenery in the pillared courtyard. Welling over the edges of the low garden walls are the fronds of date palms and creeping jasmine, while at its heart red safflowers and irises flourish.

In character with the Pressorah's intent to promote pride in Ahantep and its inhabitants, a lucky selection of the population is granted entrance to the garden once every season for a feast celebrating a particular god. The Pressorah herself presides over the festivities from a raised dais. Summer celebrates Syna, Fall: Bala, Winter: Dira and Spring: Makutsi.

The Gardeners
Secret :
Gardeners are the trusted keepers and defenders of the Concubines. They are split between those martial and those clerical in nature. A character can seek employment as a Gardener, but any males caught behaving inappropriately with the concubines are subject to severe punishment.

The highest ranking Gardener is Zulo. An older Myrian male, who was made a eunuch after an attempt to challenge the matriarchal system in Taloba. Time has done little to lessen his bitterness towards his people, but his cleverness and discipline enabled him to rise in the ranks of another land and people. To the concubines he is a grandfather figure who maintains order.

The Sowers
Secret :
The Sowers are men and women paid to teach the concubines whatever art or skill is required, some are temporary and others are fixtures. Characters with desired skills can be paid to tutor or oversee a lesson.

Notable Concubines
Secret :
TBC
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Re: [Location] Garden of Concubines

Postby Hirem on December 12th, 2009, 2:41 am

7 of the Day, Winter of 509 A.V.
Hirem stared up at the marble building, and wrinkled his noise, frowning with disgust. The Garden of the Concubines was his destination though, like it or not. He sighed, and reluctantly sat on one of the steps. It was very stupid to just walk into the Garden when the Gardeners were about, so he was content to just sit here until someone noticed him. He put his head into his hands, and thought about the previous days carefully. Arriving in Ahnatep was simple enough, and he took to stalking marketplaces for information. A plan had formed in his mind, but it required his coming here..to his dismay. Hirem sighed, and pulled his coat tighter around him.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Colombina on December 15th, 2009, 6:39 pm

"Oh look, Liviya, it's a Benshira, like you!"
An Eypharian wrapped in foam colored veils gestured at Hirem from between the hypostyles. Light from the courtyard illuminated her from behind and danced along her belt of milk jade and silver.

Liviya emerged from within, lazily waving an ostrich feather fan, her other hand clutching yellow flowers. The Benshiran concubine glanced over Hirem. Her feet moved down the stairs with the grace of running water. She gave him a longer look, and without turning away, she announced.
"No, not entirely, at least. I think he has some Eypharian blood in him, or some other race."
Her blue eyes had thick dark lashes.
"Benshira have only light colored eyes, his are brown."

She now spoke to him instead of over him. Her necklace of coins chimed as she arched forward.
"Why are you on my steps, dark eyes?"
Her long black hair slipped over her shoulder, scenting the air with jasmine and blood orange.
Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Hirem on December 15th, 2009, 11:26 pm

At first Hirem was relieved to hear Shiber in this place. He was unable to fluently speak the Eypharian language, but, unfortunately, due to the number of Benshirans here he was able to pick up a bit of conversations. He pushed himself up, and turned to the woman, and soon his intial eagerness was replaced by a dull surprise. A Benshiran? He remembered that Concubines were Benshirans as well. Using this knowledge, he doused his rising anger, and instead offered what was hopefully considered a gracious smile. "Ah, my good lady, I am Kalen." He hoped that his lie came across as smooth as he wished.

"I wish to speak to one of your Gardeners of employment, if that answers your question." He smiled again for added effect.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Colombina on December 16th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Liviya's slow smile was rich with amusement at Hirem's answer. She called over her shoulder at the veiled Eypharian.
"Nubiti, would you fetch Zulo, it seems we have another hopeful."
With a nod Nubiti vanished amidst the hypostyles, retreating to the fragrant enclosure of the gardens.

Liviya turned back to Hirem.
"Just 'Kalen' is it? Sounds like a Drykas name. You speak Shiber, yet nothing else about you reminds me of my old home," there was brief disappointment at this.
"I am Liviya of the tents of Menachem of the sons of Aysaw."
She was proud of the delivery, it was a proper Benshiran title.

Liviya tickled Hirem's cheek with the edge of her fan.
"So what makes you think you shall be a Gardener? Can you outfight the many-armed ones? Or are you some sort of scholar?"

A deeper voice interjected here.
"Fair questions. Answer the flower."

Zulo was halfway down the step, his elaborately wrapped robes trailed a bit on the stairs. He wore a turban on his head and a red bandolier. His belt was some exotic animal pelt, likely from Falyndar, and an elaborately etched saber sheath dangled from it.

He was a surprisingly broad and dark man for a Myrian, explaining why he felt he could take on an entrenched hierarchy in his youth.

Liviya smiled at Zulo and fluttered up the steps to meet him. She stood beside him, while waiting for Hirem's answer.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Hirem on December 16th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Hirem had a twitch from the tickling on his cheek, but he could not deny it felt a lot better than the sand he had been sleeping on for the past days. He acknowledged the Myrian with a nod and a smile, and clapsed his hands together. "I cannot say I am a very intellectual man." This, Hirem noted with sad hindsight, was not a lie. If there was anything that current events taught him, it was that he dealt with problems in a foolish way.

Hirem shook off these thoughts and continued. "I am a man of strength and martial ability, but I could not find a suitable place to excercise it in a manner I wished. But becoming a Gardener was a different story." He forced a chuckle out. "Defending young women is the cream of legends, eh?" Inwardly, Hirem shuddered at the thought of him speaking this way, but if this man thought he was a fool, it wouldn't strike him to think Hirem as any sort of strategist.

Hirem clenched his fists together, and grinned. "I would bring to the Gardeners a set of strong arms to defend these ladies." He gave a little bow to the Concubine.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Colombina on December 30th, 2009, 5:56 am

Liviya and Zulo glanced between one another, the women now resting her chin on the Myrian's shoulder.

"I think he's sweet, Zulo," she purred.

The Myrian shifted to his heels as he openly gauged Hirem.
"It is work like any other profession, save the settings can charm. We have a very stringent look but do not touch rule."
He leaned forward, his bulk intimidating, "Others who have broken it lost more than their posts."

Zulo shook his head announcing, "I don't like to hire non-Eypharians I do not know."

Liviya made a pouting face, then began a new entreaty, sweet and childish.
"Zulo, please, I like to hear Shiber." She looked at Hirem, "Even if it is spoken by a goatherder."

Zulo patted the concubine's hand, "I know, but we can't take every arm from the street."

The concubine twirled away, wrapping her fan around her figure in a bewitching swirl.
"Not even for me?"

Her toying was feline in nature, the way she smiled and coaxed with her eyes. It only moved Zulo to an indulgent laugh as he kindly commanded her.
"Away with you, Liviya. I cannot have such distractions on these steps."

With a becoming bow, Liviya retreated up the stairs, the coins at her throat tinkling. A playful look was spared for Hirem over her shoulder.

"Young man," Zulo resumed, "I require an Eypharian recommendation and a demonstration of your abilities before I can even consider you."

The Gardener shrugged, "You might get your chance to show off at the festival. We commonly take outside help. There will be a surplus of guards, due to the Pressorah's private Jackals. Even if you fail miserably, you will not harm our efforts."

Testing Hirem's resolve, Zulo finished with, "Watch these steps for a few days, keep them clean and free of beggars. Be respectful of all the flowers that come and go. Then maybe."
He held up his finger, "Maybe, the festival. If your gods are free with miracles, I mights make a Gardener of you yet."
Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Kaley on October 13th, 2012, 8:48 pm

43rd Day of Fall, 512 AV

Kaley sat under the date tree, massaging her inner thighs. She had been practicing all morning and her muscles were screaming. Kaley was no longer the young girl who first entered this Garden. In many ways she had changed. She was quieter now, her fire had died out. She was cautious and ever listening for hope. For what? Kaley did not know. In her years she had become less devout. Years ago she had cried out to Yahal to save her, dedicated her whole life to him. Now, she danced for herself and to remember her mother. Kaley dipped her head back, into the sunlight, curls falling from her shoulders. She closed her eyes and smiled, remembering how simple those days once were. "Tigeress" they once called her, but that was so long ago. She was tigeress no more...at least for now.

She stood up and began to walk. She placed her hands behind her back and placed one foot in front of the other. She noted the yellow lotus creeping along the wall, the blood-red flowers growing from the vines, and the deep purple grapes, full to bursting in the sunlight. "Poor Eypharian fools." They did not know their luscious garden could be so deadly. Kaley casually scrolled through the garden paths picking these fatal poisonous ingredients, as she had for months.The Gardeners had never once suspected Kaley's flower picking methods. She was quiet and unseen. Scooped up between a few stems of tiger lilies, Kaley made her bouquet and walked back to her room. Everyday she had done this, picking bouquets of poison tiger lillies and placing them in her room. The deep colors brightened the spae, and once the materials had dried, swoop! Right into her waterskin them went. Kaley smiled knowing she had every ability to kill the entire palace. Having the ingredients made her feel safe. She still remembered those simple recipes she was taught as a child, but she hadn't the courage to act upon them. Besides, where would she go once she killed them all?
Kaley
Property of Pressorah

Words: 10485
Joined roleplay: October 10th, 2012, 6:15 am
Character sheet