[Montaine's Scrapbook] The Cellar Door

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 14th, 2012, 2:31 am

Montaine wrote:...now that I am wasting words on a rather useless...

Words are NEVER useless Monty! Shame on you! *wags a finger at* You of all people should know the beauty and power of words.

Doubly so when the subject matter is one of such great importance.

As such, rather than another rambling rant wherein I use words that Monty dislikes having in his scrapbook, I'll speak more intellectually, as is, on occasion, my wont.

(Plus I think Monty prefers my intellectual posts over my silly and joking ones.)

To me, when I hear people say the debate is about "the definition of marriage," I see that as an excuse. It's a way of communicating about it to avoid the real issue. The real issue being hate.

Prejudice is an age-old thing. Whether it be sexism, racism, homophobia, or whatever, people hate things that are different. There have been countless hate crimes committed, from verbal abuse, to physical acts of violence, to murder. I've lost count of the number of times I've read about an attack or a death that happened because the assailant hates something about the victim. On the specific subject of sexuality, just a few weeks ago I read about a lesbian couple in Texas that were both shot, one killed, for just this sort of reason.

I've spoken extensively in this scrapbook about how communication sculpts our realities. The way people communicate about this kind of issue is an example. I've read research journal articles about how communication "normalizes" immoral behavior. A strong example of this is one where the researchers studied the illegal business practices of a corporation and the investigations that took place after that company was indited. The internal communication among the employees was about how "everyone does it" or "it's just the way it is" or "its not against the law (because of a loophole) thus its not immoral" and so forth.

This type of communication makes people THINK that there is nothing wrong with their behavior, and allows them to do things that would otherwise seem immoral. When people later look at it from the outside, or possibly when the people involved look back on their behavior, they may later realize how wrong they were. But at the time, their view is sculpted and their perspective changed.

"Changing the definition of marriage" is just such a means of communication. People have a hatred for same-sex couples. I won't start theorizing about 'why' they have this hatred beyond saying two things: 1. People just plain don't like anyone who is different from themselves. 2. I once asked a coworker (who was against gay marriage) WHY she was against it... her response was "Because I don't want my children growing up in a world where that kind of thing is considered 'okay'." (I told her I didn't want my children someday growing up in a world where it WASN'T okay).

But the thing is, when you say to someone "I don't agree with this because I just don't like it/hate it/think it shouldn't be that way", they won't accept that answer. You're seen as prejudiced, and most people tend to agree prejudice is wrong.

So they find another way to say it. They say its about the "definition" because THAT way, instead of "going against it because they're prejudiced" they are instead "trying to preserve the meaning of something special to them".

See the difference? They attach a label to it, and that label changes how people view it. The person making the argument can seem like they're not actually prejudiced. Spread this far enough, get enough people to believe it, and it is "normalized" just like the immoral behavior of the people in the corporation I mentioned.

Monty, I started off this post saying "words are never useless... they have power." This is a prime example. People are out there who communicate about gay marriage in a way that tries to change people's views. They try to make people agree with their perspective by shrouding it with fancy terms that make them seem okay, and hides their actual immorality.

We need people to do the opposite. We need people to speak from their hearts, and express their true feelings. There is a real truth down there that is deeper and purer than the sculpted reality the prejudiced folk try to create. But it needs to be expressed in order to be heard.

Use your words, my friend. They have power, and the way you express them is extremely meaningful.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Montaine on July 19th, 2012, 7:46 am

So I was pretty drunk the other day and woke up to find this scrawled on an old envelope on my desk:

Secret :
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Words: 306099
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Seven Xu on July 19th, 2012, 11:39 am

You and your sappy drawings.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Montaine on July 19th, 2012, 12:19 pm

What can I say? There's no companionship like weighted companionship.
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Montaine on July 20th, 2012, 5:44 pm

The World of Tomorrow

Seeing Triple was graded a few days ago by Arcane, for which I must give thanks, but it was so soon after my previous entry here and I had hit such a boggy patch in regard to my posting frequency that I figured I could sit on this for a while. Well, I've written three posts so far today and only owe two so I thought I'd take the opportunity to have a little break and write this up. The topic of discussion today is of one of my two favourite genres, the other naturally being fantasy. Today I shall address science fiction.

Sci-fi has something of a reputation for being a nerdy pursuit and I'm not exactly going to shatter those perceptions by declaring myself as a fan. I am one, obviously, I've seen all of Star Trek TNG, DS9 and Voyager, all of new Who, Red Dwarf, Firefly and Serenity, of course, the remade BSG, Farscape, bits and pieces of Babylon 5, Stargate and Star Trek TOS, Star Wars, naturally, Terminator 1 and 2 and the Sarah Connor Chronicles. I've seen Terminator 3 but we should probably just forget that. Let's just say, I've seen a fair bit of the genre on television and film. It is a highly cinematic genre, but we mustn't forget the great works of science fiction literature either, like Frankenstein.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is often mistaken for a horror novel due to the associations so often made with other horror icons like Dracula, but it is, on closer inspection, evidently science fiction. It takes a look at an advance in science, an advance into the unknown. There is a good reason why sci-fi is often called speculative fiction. I'm going to go off on a tangent now, but I will come back to Frankenstein in a bit. Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey identifies three key stages of evolution, marked by the technological and scientific knowledge of the dominant species. One of these is humanity as we know it, the last is that of the Star Child, but what is most interesting for me is the first, the apes. The transition between these groups is identified by the monoliths and the discovery of new technology, the apes discover tools and ascend to man, man discovers space flight and ascends to star child. The idea that what science fiction is to us is what we would be to the apes is an interesting one. It is also interesting to consider that the monoliths are not some spooky, weird, alien sci-fi plot device but more of a metaphor for knowledge, we do not gain knowledge because we find the monolith but rather we find the monolith because we have gained the knowledge to do so.

That was a large, meandering paragraph and I do apologise. Frankenstein! In a time before Darwin's Origin of Species, which gave us the means to consider the possibility of future human evolution and gave the history of humanity more of a progressive structure, life was considered far more hierarchically. Species weren't considered as linked by common ancestors as we now know them to be, and so Clarke's concept of the next stage of human evolution would not have worked. Instead, you had three layers of life, the bestial, the human and the divine. The good Doctor Frankenstein attempts to advance science beyond the realms of humanity to the knowledge of the commonly accepted Christian God, the creation of life. It should be noted here that the full title of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is in fact Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus.

This is where it gets really nerdy and interesting, because you can make a direct comparison between 2001 and Frankenstein. If we take Frankenstein and his Creation to be the next stage, or Clarke's Star Child, and humanity equates to humanity, then the apes, the prior stage of evolution in 2001 could relate back to the original Prometheus myth in Shelley's Frankenstein! The discovery tools mirrors the discovery of fire, the creation of Monster mirrors the discovery of space flight, though with rather worse consequences for the scientist involved.

Then again, I suppose having your life and memories drained and being transformed into a giant space-faring baby isn't too great either. Food for thought.

So why do I love science fiction personally? Well, probably for the same reason I love fantasy. They are both worlds often so different from our own, stories that could never hope to live yourselves and so this is the only opportunity to experience them. If you want to be clichéd about it I suppose you can make that old comparison between magic and advanced technology. Whenever I am writing about djed in Mizahar I try to look at it not as some hocus pocus, reality defying wizardry but rather as a science that is not fully understood. If magic were real we wouldn't call it magic, we'd call it science and it would be studied in laboratories. I suppose the only real difference between fantasy and science fiction is the setting connotations. Magic in space? Sci-fi. Bizarre technologies in merry old villages? Fantasy.

Word of the day: pernicious, harmful, but connotatively slow burning.

-Monty
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 21st, 2012, 3:49 am

I think it should be no big surprised that I'm a big sci-fi nut. I've always considered myself a scientist in the way I view the world. I believe in analyzing, experimenting, and ultimately understanding as much as I can. Tock's views are a lot like this as well.

I like to view magic as a 'scientific' pursuit. I've known people who just like to handwave things and say 'a wizard did it.' But structured magic with rules and laws, like a science, makes the magic more believable. It allows people to easier suspend their disbelief. The best fantasy novels I've read are ones where the magic has rules, and the reader grows to understand those rules. But if it just involves people throwing fireballs about here and there without explaining how they're doing it, where the energy comes from, how its controlled... well, the magic becomes less believable.

This also goes into the way I see ST's grade magic. People who put more detail into the process get more exp and praise for a job well done. People who don't go into the process, the strain, the stages and experimentation and learning, get less (sometimes none).

Also? Bonus Geek Points to anyone who knows what TARDIS stands for without Googling it!

Secret :
Time And Relative Dimension In Space
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Re: [Montaine's Scrapbook] The Cellar Door

Postby Pash'nar on July 25th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Hey, there's some name dropping in that there thread with Tock. I d'awwwed a little.
Pash'nar
There's always room for more.

Words: 295535
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 3:51 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 25th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Indeed. Amidst all the drinking, and conversation about rape and ear biting, we're gonna have a bonding moment.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Montaine on July 27th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Ah, sorry about the slowdown to halt in posting.

Sick.

Sucks.
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wrenmae on July 27th, 2012, 1:47 pm

I take partial responsibility :(

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext