Blackening the Sun (Yaotl)

Yaotl gets the chance she has been waiting for.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Verilian on May 4th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Blackening the Sun

Yaotl wrote:
Spring 5th, 512 AV

Just four days ago, the Temple of the Black Sun had fractured. The storm that roused the city on the anniversary of the Valterrian had caused unspeakable damage to the Temple and to the morale of the men and women that thought Rhysol had abandoned them to suffer. Yaotl considered the mess being tended to by still faithful citizens with an air of boredom. In her opinion, they wouldn't be able to salvage the main part of the church and their energies would be better directed at somehow improving themselves so this wouldn't happen to them again. If Rhysol wanted the holiest of artifacts buried beneath rubble, then who were mere mortals to try to dig it out?

Unless, of course, he wanted them to.

And that would have to be the greatest question of all the questions Yaotl could come up with at that moment. Rhysol was the lord of a dominion that could not be judged by a fixed set of standards. He was chaos, and trying to figure out what he was truly going for when he decided to destroy his main center of worship without warning was beyond her ability to comprehend.

Her green eyes skittered over labouring backs as the woman walked through their ranks, not lifting a finger to help them. Perhaps that could be seen as disloyal to Rhysol, perhaps not. She wasn't stupid enough to work her ass off on something that would probably take the season to clear. It wouldn't do good for her to see her work meant nothing if the pillar had shattered.

Yaotl wasn't sure exactly where she could go to offer a prayer and a question to Rhysol. She hadnt been present when the Temple snapped under the pressure of the storm, so she didn't know if the alcoves had caved in. She couldnt put her trust into the stability of a balcony or a convenient unlocked door. She could only skirt the men, women and children as she sharked for an alcove that didn't have water or rubble clogging it.

She found one, probably the first of a few more, and approved of its relative cleanliness. It wasn't like Parah was here to wash the thing, so she could bear with it for now.

The alcove was as ornate as the Temple, and open. She face a looming pile of debris on one side and the other opened to the hall she just left. Dark wine seats, black marble floor, and ornate designs on the marble walls. Yaotl liked this one room more than she liked her own apartment.

With a sigh, Yaotl purged her mind of thought. It wasn't always easy to do so. There was usually a strain of haunting music, her anger directed at some trivial thing, whether it was the mess Parah left around every day, the dog being a stupid yappy little thing, or the weather being unpleasant. She took a few deep breaths to calm those thoughts away for now, folding them away to be pondered later. She never liked to pray to Rhysol in a temper. Krysus, yes. Rhysol, no. That god seemed to have some use for people not always in a rage.

Green eyes focused on intertwined fingers as Yaotl opened her mind, hoping to hear some small whisper of voice not hers for once. She didn't close her eyes, what was the point? She didn't speak either though, preferring to keep her question to herself in case the answer wasn't allowed to be heard.

Rhysol, she began, I am here to day for you, as I have been here for you in thought for a long time now. You were there in Nyka to be my salvation when my family no longer took notice of me, and you were there as I walked Sylira to find my home in your city. I am here for you now, here to be used by you for whatever need you have. I would give you my life, the life of my children, and the life of my parents and brothers. Would you give me this honour and answer one question?

Yaotl paused as the people outside started on eachother about who worked longest and hardest. Straining not to roll her eyes just yet, she returned to her thoughts.

What happened?

Her green eyes blinked lazily as the thought resounded in her head, clanging with an unholy fervor as though some kid were wailing on a gong. Others were asking 'why did it happen' or 'where are you', and while those questions were good to ask, Yaotl would try her luck in a different direction.

Rhysol, perhaps my service to you has not been the best you have received, but after the event on the anniversary of your triumph, I have been willing to prove that it is to you I hold the most faith. I would like to prove myself as a member of your devout followers. I wish to join the Black Sun.

She then fell to silence, her mind wide open for any whisper of chaos from the lord of Ravok.

The Temple was in shambles. It would be seasons before it was fully rebuilt, but still the devoted Ravokians tried as fast as they could. They needed their temple, their connection to Rhysol. The Black Shard, the artifact that the city of Ravok was founded upon, was obscured from view, covered under rubble. Many of the the Black Sun had been killed, and many more citizens with them, and the amount of people trapped in the underwater depths were unkown.

Ematho rarely left his home in the The Black Hole, but with most of his dungeon flooded the mysterious Druvin had nowhere to go and nothing to do. So few even knew of his existence, though his nature was obvious if one looked at his face. Only the Druvin bore the third mark of Rhysol, the twin eyes of white that saw more than normal eyes could see. Ematho wandered among the faithful, watching as they tried to fix what had been damaged.

The Druvin knew not why his lord had chosen to destroy the temple, to allow the massive storm to hit Ravok. His mistress, the Voice, the one person who might have shed some light on what had happened was nowhere to be found. Perhaps she too was trapped beneath the rubble, though Ematho doubted such a thing would contain her for more than a chime. The orders of Rhysol had chosen to keep her absence a secret, but how long could they maintain such a charade if she did not return? Ematho did not know.

Everyone was working to rebuild.. or almost everyone. Ematho stopped when he saw a lone woman, beautiful and finely dressed. The fact that she was praying was not so odd, many people would stop to pray now and then. It was the whisper. So long he had been beneath the waters, Ematho had brought few into the fold. But he knew the whisper when he heard it, Rhysol's answer to the prayers of the faithful. The chosen. This woman, she had a chance, and Rhysol was letting him know. Of course the Defiler would not speak to her directly, he never did, but Ematho knew that he must speak to her for him. The Druvin approached, moving silent even in his heavy armor, and Yaotl would not know he was their until a gloved hand fell on her shoulder.

"What do you seek, child?"
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Yaotl on June 1st, 2012, 7:55 am

Startled, as though weakened from a deep sleep or perhaps a heavy trance, Yaotl tensed beneath the hand upon her shoulder. The hand felt large, heavy, but Yaotl hadn't detected even the faintest whisper of approach.

The woman turned her head, tilted it up, and looked into eyes of milky white with no visible iris or pupil. The eyes of Rhysol, so rarely given to those suffering the condition of mortality, were truly a sight to gawk at for Yaotl. She hadn't seen a set up close, having only seen the Voice and others from a distance. She didn't even recognise this one.

Yaotl inclined her head in a sign of respect, although she wondered if these people even cared for such things as respect rather than loyalty. Respect only could get a person so far, after all.

"I seek the answers to the great questions," she said sleekly, voice polished as much as possible, for her. "Of course, I wish to know what happened to make the buildings crumble, the water rise, and the air to freeze us to the bone, but beyond that, I want to know everything. I want to know what it takes, what I need, for your dark Father to take me into his flock so I may spread my voice among yours."

Greed may have filled her words, or lust even, for power that she didn't yet have the ability to grasp, but she spoke softly enough to not sound too zealous in her desires. Of the many things Yaotl was and could be, she knew she should try not be all of them in the presence of an unknown Druvin.

"But, I suppose all of them have the same questions as I," Yaotl jerked her chin to indicate the people clearing rubble in urgence. "I'm just the one that will come out and demand the answers."
Yaotl
Let. Me. In.

Words: 16161
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 6:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Verilian on June 21st, 2012, 2:51 pm

"To know everything," the Druvin whispered, a slight smile across his face, "Not even the Defiler knows everyting. As for the water and the storm, our lord is master of chaos. He does as he sees fit, and if he chooses to tell us why, we should be blessed. If not, then we must simply bow to his whim."

Her answer was not what Ematho was looking for, but he would not have heard the whisper if Rhysol did not want him to delve deeper. Of course there was another matter to be dealt with. He recalled his own first encounter with a member of the Black Sun. It had not been a pleasant one, and he too had been rash. She would demand answers of Rhysol, and truly such was not so bad a trait, but demands required reactions. The Druvin held out his hand to Yaotl as if to help her to her feet

"My child," when she took his hand, his fist closed around it. Yaotl heard the crunch of bones as searing pain shot up through her arm and drove her to her knees. "You do not make demands of the Defiler, or any in his following." The Druvin drew closer, driver her further to the ground. "You are nothing. You will always be nothing. And should he choose to elevate you from your pitiful existance, you will still be only a slightly better form of nothing in his eyes."

Ematho let go of her hand, allowing her a moment to wallow in misery if she needed it. He didn't feel sorry for her, but neither was he disgusted for her. The path to Rhysol was not an easy one. It was filled with pain, but it was also filled with wonder. Her broken hand would heal eventually, but the pain and the reminder of how little she truly was would stay forever. It was a point driven home to many a follower of Rhysol.

"Now tell me, why should Rhysol take you into his flock, as you put it?"

OOCSorry for taking so long on this, and sorry for the broken hand. I forgot about the thread. If I ever take too long in responding, feel free to remind me.

Injury :
Broken Hand - The hand suffered multiple fractures and breaks. It will take approximately 50 days to heal with medical care, closer to 75 without. It will still be weak after that, and Yaotl will have to build it's strength back up for a while. Without medical care, the hand may never function properly again.

...being that this happened in the Spring, and it's too late for you to roleplay medical care, we'll just say you got it. So.. during early summer your hand should still be weak. Make sure you rp that.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)