[Location] The Gate

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

[Location] The Gate

Postby Cayenne on August 1st, 2009, 2:56 am

A barely-worn, small path leads up to a massive wall of stone and vine, of bone and wood. From the top, sharp spikes protrude, many with skulls of various shapes and sizes mounted on them, one after another. This is the massive Myrian city of Taloba. Almost entirely concealed by the thick jungle foliage, many visitors hardly realize how close to the city until they approach the walls... or one of the thousands of lethal traps surrounding the outside of the capital. Sentries loom, hidden from sight, along the top of the wall, armed to the teeth, and watching... always watching.

At the enormous gate, two skeletons stand impaled, a warning. An enormous dead snake is displayed on the wall, an omen. No Charodae nor Dhani may pass here, should they reach the gates. Two menacing Myrian warriors stand guard at the gate, one on each side. They are tall and dark-skinned, dressed in leather, marked with tattoos and ritual scars, they carry both glaive and battle axe. They are accompanied often by an enormous tiger, looking relaxed and vicious all at once. Any non-Myrian who attempts to enter is stopped, and access is denied until the guards are satisfied. And even then... they may still be turned away. The Myrians do not like outsiders.

You have been warned. Enter if you dare,
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

[Location] The Gate

Postby Pua on June 24th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Summer 1, 510 AV

Pua walked cautiously through the wild Falyndar jungle, staying close to the tree trunks. His bright eyes shifted restlessly from shadow to shadow and he held his new repeating crossbow cocked and at the ready. Experience had long since taught Pua that one did not traipse carelessly through this jungle, especially not alone. Every bone in his body quietly screamed for him to hurry, but he pushed his eagerness aside. Getting himself killed so close to home after completing his long trek in search of a better crossbow would be just too embarrassing. Flitting as silently as he could between the shadows, Pua noticed that the Jungle, usually soggy, was now only mildly damp. At sometime during his travels, Pu had lost track on the date, but Falyndar going through a dry spell could only mean one thing. Summer was coming soon. And with summer came the Rain Festival. Unconsciously, Pua picked up his pace. What luck to arrive back in his homeland just in time for such an important festival.

It couldn't be much farther now, Pua thought as he leaned against the base of a large tree and took a sip from his water skin. It felt quit light, probably only a fifth full. Hopefully he wouldn't need to find a stream to replenish it in before he arrived home. As he pushed himself off, a large fat drop smacked him on the cheek. Looking up, another splashed across his forehead, and then the rains started in earnest. A wide grin split his dark face and he boomed a hearty laugh as Makutsi's torrent bombarded him. With the rain to cover him, Pua made much faster time, and a bell later, Taloba's great walls rose up before him. "It's good to be home," he announced to no one in particular. Pua jogged over towards the gate. The gaurds there remembered the distinctive looking scout and hollered welcomes over the driving rain. Pua just flashed them a smile and waved as he hurried into Taloba's embrace after his long year of absence.
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

[Location] The Gate

Postby Matza on October 1st, 2010, 10:45 pm

Fall 1, 510 AV

It had been said that Taloba was the fortress which ruled the jungle, but going by appearances it seemed that it was the city that had been conquered. It was not so much a city overrun with vegetation as a jungle strewn with stone. Only the great walls managed to stand against the trees, however even these were strangled with twisted vines. Still, it was not the look of the place which was responsible for the impressions instilled in those who saw it. Taloba seemed to radiate a dark foreboding. It was a primitive place, constructed of hunks of rough cut stone and brittle, weathered bone; there was nothing soft about it. The skulls mounted on the walls stared out with silent screams; the warnings could send a shiver down the spine of some of the most hardened humans, and even some wandering Myrians. It seemed almost deserted from the outside, however there was that feeling of being watched. It gave the impression not so much that the jungle had overrun it as that the two lived in mutuality, both as wild and dangerous as one another. They had found a strange understanding, trees that threatened valued architecture were dismembered without mercy, and buildings untended were pulled apart by root and vine. It was a language they could share.

All creatures that came upon the city were met by the powerful hostility it projected that formed almost a physical barrier. They skirted round the edges not daring to broach it for fear that those invisible, watching eyes would reveal themselves to be far more dangerous than prickles on the back of your neck. Those few who dared come near could not help but scan every inch of parapet, every shadow in the undergrowth, for good reason as fewer made it inside. It commanded a respect that forced all from the tiniest beetle (who was used to such necessities) to the proudest of emergents (who were not) to look up at the thing of rock, bone and terrible, untamed beauty. All, that was, except one.

Matza’s wary gaze was determinedly fixed on the ground, a particular patch of ground right beside the fallen tree on which he was perched. Perched would be the proper word for it, seated sounded far too comfortable for the position he had adopted. He was crouched low on the balls of his bare feet with his knees up near his ears, his bum hovering but a few inches from the bark, and his hands poised by his sides, flexing slowly. Either he was very flexible else he was experiencing a rather unfortunate amount of pain right now, perhaps a mix of both considering he had held this pose for what was close approaching 540 of his heartbeats (10 minutes to you and me). Contrary to this he seemed happy enough, at least the smile he wasn’t wearing wasn’t a grimace. He held a fixated stare, one which pierced into the darkness of a small, deep hole.

Up on the walls this odd behaviour had earned him a spectator, not just the parrot which perched far more comfortably on top of a skull, but the hidden watchman carrying out his job with dedication… by watching. He watched the filthy Myrian with more than a little curiosity; even out in these wild parts in wasn’t so common to find a gangly youth, near black with dirt, in tattered shorts, crouching on a log and staring at the ground. Even by savage terms this could be considered eccentric, even a little mad. It made the guard uneasy, fortunately he knew the solution for this and he had decided that if the creature hadn’t shifted soon he was going to fix it, with an arrow through its throat.

Just as this thought was taking hold of the guard a flash of movement caught his eye.

Zaza’s quick hand struck out almost as quickly as his dark eyes picked out the movement in the dark of the burrow. Wicked long fingers wrapped round the small, furry body of the already squealing rodent, plucking it from the ground. The rat like creature struggled desperately, no doubt if it had been more sentient and less terrified it would have been considering the unfairness of life – after all he had been given no clues that the darting giant was still there, he smelt of jungle, whereas the attacker had the scuffle of paws to warn him of the rodent’s return – however as it was he thought of nothing but how to bite the thing that gripped him, and in a few moments he thought nothing at all.

Damp tresses of dark hair hung swung a curtain of vines as Mat tilted his head, considering his kill with a sort of childlike curiosity. It was a fat thing, no doubt it snuck into the city for food, however as with all rat things it was repulsively dirty, more so than the hunter himself. With a wrinkle of his nose he slowly pried one finger after another from the body till he held it between only his first finger and his thumb. A flash of silver seem to appear from nowhere and vanish equal as improbably, leaving the carcass glistening crimson, dripping blood. Two heartbeats passed as if delaying the horrific before he seized the creature in both hands and sunk his teeth into red flesh. A nightmarish tearing noise. Chew. Swallow. Finally the filthy boy raised his head, his eyes travelling slowly up the wall to fix upon a seemingly random spot on the parapet with a vicious, scarlet tinged grin, warm rubies trickling down his chin. The guard broke first, averting his gaze, though he couldn’t think how the boy had found his to hold. When he looked back the creature was gone, its prey left as an insult on the sodden ground.

Shouldering his pack retrieved from the undergrowth Matza trotted swiftly through the dappled lights at the edge of the canopy. Running was his natural pace, he had never walked where he could run, running got you there quicker, before the thing behind you had caught up. He watched the wall out of the corner of his eye, following it round the corner where his eyes refocused on the gate and those who flanked it. They were tall and dark skinned, armed and armoured. However he could sight of that orange and black they were all but forgotten, Mat’s world compacted into that powerful, feline shape.

He slowed to a stalk as he approached, moving through the scrub near silently. It was enough for the guards to continue looking over his head however the tiger was not so easily deceived. He watched it raised its majestic head, those glowing eyes locking on to him, declaring the game was up. The Myrians spotted him suddenly as he stepped out into the path, however he did not spare them so much as a wary glance. His bold eyes were locked with the tiger’s, his expression intense in its emptiness. As he approached the creature lazily raised half a lip at the cub, giving him a casual growl too relaxed to be a warning. To the beast’s surprise the boy cub raised half a lip back and let out a little growl of his own, twisting it into a devilish smile.

”Boy! Move yourself or be moved.” A harsh voice spoke out to him, one of the warriors raising her axe in encouragement. The wretch’s gaze passed over them with wary guardedness, his lips pulled back from his teeth in something resembling a snarl.
”I would hate to return you to your mother in pieces.” She prompted; taking his noncompliant silence to mark him simple, after all no normal unarmed kid disobeyed the one with the axe. Slowly he stalked between the two, moving with something that resembled the gait of a feline, his dark, penetrating eyes returned to the tiger. The two watched one another out of sight.
Matza
Vicious Little Tiger Cub

Words: 4159
Joined roleplay: September 29th, 2010, 9:30 pm
Character sheet

[Location] The Gate

Postby Mek on May 29th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Familiar sounds reached my ears as my mind came back to the present, back from reminiscing about the simplicity of childhood, adolescence, and even my time served in the Myrian military. Little to no responsibility, having someone making your decisions for you...at the time, it seemed a curse, but looking back, it was such a boon not have to worry about the day-to-day things. And yet, where would reminiscing get me? I shook my head free of the cobweb of thoughts and rose to my feet. The jungle was never a quiet place; even in times of danger, leaves squeaked and branches rustled. The rest of the time, the place was alive as anything else on this earth; from snakes and bottom crawlers making their way through the darker underbrush to our small human-like cousins swinging through the upper branches, displacing the brightly colored birds from their place. At the moment, no bigger creature seemed to be moving; however, as any sensible Myrian knew, large cats and other dangerous animals creeped around the forest, waiting for prey to come into their reach.

My hand unconsciously felt for my longbow and quiver, both strapped around my shoulders, finding them both in place. Outside of a water canteen, I was traveling extremely light, coming back from a short sojourn into the jungle. Satisfied, I began to move forward, orienting myself with the sun overhead and striking out in the direction of my hometown, Taloba. I was by no means an expert woodsman, but my years of living in the jungle were apparent as I walked with near silence. I had less to worry about in this place compared to many other races as well; our local, poisonous fauna and flora had little effect on my battle-hardened body. A snakebite that would normally kill in minutes would simply lead to a small rash, and my kind even used the local, normally poisonous plants for cooking, having become accustomed to the flavor. Because of this, I had little to worry from the jungle, as most of the natural defenses of creatures were harmless. However, there were always dangers, not the least of them being the sense of isolation. Chances are, getting injured in a place like this would lead to major complications, or even death. No one was going to just walk by your position; you were on your own to find help.

And yet, these thoughts didn't scare me. Death didn't even necessarily scare me. If anything, returning to society scared me more. I was accepted, and even honored to an extent, and yet, still an outcast. I was popular, but not in my own world, and not with anyone that talked to me. My foot snagging on something brought my back to the present, surprised. Usually moving through the jungle was unconscious, but closer investigation at my feet revealed a smaller snake, about three feet long. I laughed softly as I picked up the scaly, writing creature by its head, refusing to let it have its movement. Fangs glared back at me, and the snake hissed angrily. I brought down the head of the snake hard against a nearby fallen tree, and the reptile instantly stilled. It would make for a good meal later. Working quickly, I coiled the snake and bound it with a piece of vine, and attached it to my belt. Such actions were common in an area that didn't trade with others; we had learned how to fend for ourselves quite well.

Looking up, the stone tower of Taloba sprouted in the midst of the trees. An untrained eye would have missed it, but as one that had been here countless times, my eyes zoomed directly toward it. While the people didn't please me, the thought of my own bed did, and I picked up my pace, moving quickly and somewhat nosily through the jungle. I closed the distance between myself and gates, the macabre look of the walls becoming more and more clear. I finally broke into the small clearing, my eyes scanning the two guards and the tiger that lazily sat by them. I knew both of the men, and gave them a nod and a short greeting as I cleared the forest and passed the barrier into civilization.
Mek
Player

Words: 3427
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 4:12 am
Race: Human

[Location] The Gate

Postby Vantus on July 2nd, 2012, 2:11 pm

Timestamp: 42nd of Summer, 512 AV

It was raining as Vantus came to the colossal gates of Taloba. All stone and omen, he looked it over, the surface becoming slick with the weather.

Two burly Myrians stood guard. He nodded, bowing slightly. The Myrians were a race he held respect for. They valued strength. They were not like the pitiful humans, hiding behind their books and cottage doors.

"I come seeking strength," he said simply, his words definite all the same.

With that, the guards allowed him to pass with barely a word. Vantus stepped into the mouth of the tiger, into a new life.
Vantus
Army of One

Words: 3495
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2012, 1:31 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Location] The Gate

Postby Rage on July 3rd, 2012, 8:21 am

The tunnel leading to the city proper appeared to be dark when Vantus stood before it, but he soon realized the reason why when a tall Myrian warrioress stepped out from its depths.

And she was blocking his way.

The guards, both of them males, stiffened before straightening their backs in attention upon her appearance. They would not meeth each other's eye, nor Vantus', just staring straight ahead as if their lives depended on it. Almost mechanically, they extended the hands holding their weapons, creating an 'X' that barred the Isur's way back into the jungle.

The Myrian woman spoke.

"You are either brave or foolish to come here so casually."

Her eyes flickered over the Isur's short but thick stature, a hint of a frown forming upon her thick brows.

"State your name and your business here, deyhan."

OOC: Please Read :
Hi there, Vanthus!

I understand that you have no way of know that a travel thread in the Jungle Wilds is necessary for non-Myrians before posting in Taloba - since this information is not written anywhere where new players can easily find it. But worry not, I will not ask you to remove your post. Just simply reply to my post in this thread: Disarmed. And earn your right to be in Taloba.

I will be moderating said thread for you. It will be short, don't worry. :)

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office

[Location] The Gate

Postby Deus Mors on August 11th, 2012, 1:55 am

1st of Summer 512 AV

A Pale skinny male dressed in all black wearing work boots arrived at the gates. He stopped and smelled the air it smelled like many hard working labourers had come through this area. He looked at the impaled corpses with his green eyes and didn't shudder or really make any sign that he truly saw them. It might have appeared to some people that he looked pass them. A sheathed short sword hung from his belt and his backpack on and He looked up to the well armed Myrian guards.

He stood a back from the rest of the people who were walking through the gate. He turned to his horse and stroked his hair with a bone brush. He waited for someone to inform him he had permission to enter the city.
Deus Mors
Player

Words: 1719
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2012, 5:24 am
Race: Human

[Location] The Gate

Postby Siiri on August 11th, 2012, 5:37 pm

To DeusA response to your post.

Siiri happened to be on guard duty at the gates on that day. It being the first day of summer, and with Makutsi already showering the whole of mainland Falyndar with her blessing, it was pouring - hard. Needless to say, she was wet. And miserable. And completely pissed off at the world.

Her leather armor discarded in the shelter of the gates' tunnel, to avoid being touched by the downpour, Siiri was left in a simple earthen-colored shift, the rain making the fabric cling to her bronze skin. Her massive greatsword was hugged close to her chest, as if she was attempting to shield it from getting wet - a pointless exercise since she was already drenched to the bone.

As the figure of a rider came into view, one of her eyebrows arched up imperiously.

"What the petch do you want, human?"

Deus, Please read :
Please resume posting in this thread: A Human Among Us
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[Location] The Gate

Postby Tinnok on February 3rd, 2013, 11:51 pm

She dreaded this, the approaching of the gate. Occasionally she would pass unmolested with merely hated glares to guide her through to the entrance of Taloba, but more often than not...

"Halt."

Tinnok of the Tempered Steel stopped in front of the massive men guarding the door. It was funny, because she was rather tall due to her Dhani heritage, and stood a head above both of the men, but she couldn't ignore their expert intimidation technique without saying a single word.

"Your business today, snake witch?"

Tinnok glanced down at the massive tiger that lay lazily to the side of the gate. She made eye contact with the beast, an attempt to connect with something other than the imbeciles. The Myrian Tiger glanced up into her gaze, the fog of apathy broken for a moment, then as she reached out using Nura with an image of kindness and understanding, of the men letting her through with nary a word, the beast just snorted and lay its head in its paws. Petching cats. Tinnok snorted herself and looked up at the cruel and expectant faces. "Just came to town for some fruit."

"Right, fruit. Such a shame we can't run her through now, aye Hiyt?"

Hiyt nodded in agreement, though his face wasn't full of the same obvious glee. "Real shame that is."

Pishka would enjoy it, wouldn't you girl?"

Pishka closed her eyes and gave a very disconcerting purr that radiated throughout her body. It was a noise that spoke of relishing the taste of serpent in her gullet. Tinnok blinked. "Will that be all, then?" Her abrupt and non caring manner had it's advantages sometimes, and since the fun of the moment was gone, the one that wasn't Hiyt shrugged and simultaneously the guards backed up. Hiyt spat directly in front of her, brely missing her foot as she stepped forward. Tin took in a calming breath and strode through, exhaling slowly as she passed through the tunnel, wishing Nissila was with her.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)