[Silver Silver Tavern] The Pursuit [Clyde]

Gallo catches wind of a powerful mage in search for an apprentice.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Clandestine Duplais on June 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm

After a bit, Gallo moved with Clyde into the room. But his eye brow perked when he heard the request.

"Uh, you're going to put what?" A brief pause, "well if you need me to strip down in order to get this going." Gallo shrugged and began to undo his clothes it wouldn't be the first time he had done it. Once stripped to the codpiece type of undergarment he kicked his belongings away not wanting ink to drip onto it.

"What is that on your forehead?" Gallo's answer came unanswered as the rough quill point graced his forehead, palms and belly. He couldn't help but flutter a bit as the cold ink and surface of the quill tickled him. Once finished, Gallo stood in front of him as Clyde began to study him intensely. He couldn't help but feel a bit awkward. But Gallo had said he'd give loyalty to Clyde and if this would make him stronger in some way it was worth it.

"What are you looking at?" Gallo asked finally as he came to the conclusion that Clyde was not just studying him, but something more than the physical being.
Clandestine Duplais
Player

Words: 73447
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 12:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 28th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Clyde was totally focused... He had to be, in order to make this work... He focused on the glyphs he had made, mainly on the mans head, externalizing all else... He did not even react as he heard him speak, only half aware of what he said... His aura vision was working, and he could not allow himself to be distracted, as he focused in on the man...

As usual, all he saw at first was the general shape of his aura emanating out... It was a blank greyish color... As usual... But sure enough, it soon changed as he focused, coming into better clarity, and color, as all but nonliving objects did...

His was a odd mix of colors, the closest he could describe it was as a mix between red and yellow... Each color swirling through, vying for dominance... He had no idea what that meant... Sometimes he could not always explain the things he saw with this site... Though he was sure if he pressed further, the reasoning for the color would come into greater clarity...

But that was not why he was here, instead he focused on the edges of the mans aura... For his purpose, that would be what he would be reading, and would tell him the most... If it was damaged, it likely meant something had messed him up magically, or that he was a leecher... Neither were good qualities in a apprentice...

And if there were djed remnants, signs of magic having been used, well it would mean the man already likely knew magic.. This alone was about the only thing Clyde could read with any clarity. He had checked for the telltale djed signs of a mage enough times to be good at it...

At first there was nothing... But then he saw it... A faded brownish bit of djed, that sat on the edges of his aura... Rubbed off and left as magic was used in his body, and carried out on his aura... He knew magic... Though as Clyde checked further, he saw there was not to much, or to thick a layer... Not like what he could see when he looked at his own aura...

Clyde cut off the feed of djed, closing his eyes and blinking... He stared the boy in the eyes... He had not been open with him...

"You failed to mention that you already knew magic... Even if it is not a lot. So what magic is it that you know? How long have you been doing it? Were did you learn it?"

Clyde stared at him for a few more moments...

"You can get dressed by the way, I am done... But know I do not like people hiding secrets from me..."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clandestine Duplais on June 29th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Gallo finally settled down when Clyde didn't reply. Perhaps he was focusing on something and didn't want to be disturbed. When Clyde finally broke out of the trance like state he had entered he was about to speak before Clyde beat him to the punch. Gallo genuinely looked confused, he didn't realize he had used magic in the past.

He began to redress himself not caring to smudge off the glyphs painted onto his body. "I didn't know I was doing magic. I mean I've never conjured flame from nothingness." He thought for a moment, "I mean my father had given me a book once on unarmed combat. It briefly spoke about a meditation technique to maintain easier balance and increased strength. I remember it mentioned something about focusing on the body to channel energy into attacks. Sort of like using your entire body to put into a punch or even running. It also mentioned something about chants or key phrases to help remind your body what part of the body to direct the flow of bodily energy." Soon Gallo was once more clothed as he stood still. "I wasn't able to read further before father had to return the book to another friend. He was a dock worker and came across it from one of the traders and borrowed it."

Gallo felt a little frustration well up inside of him, "I didn't intentionally hide something from you Clyde. Tsk, if you wanted to learn more details about me," he pointed at one of his arms, "this is a scar that my sister left after a live weapon spar." He then pointed at his chest, "I got this scar after I fell into the water and hit a hidden log in the water. I mean what sort of thing would you want to know about me?" Gallo calmed down a bit, now feeling dissapointed in himself not knowing what exactly he should tell Clyde.
Clandestine Duplais
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 29th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Clyde listened as he explained himself... How the petch did he not know he was doing magic? Surely he would have exhausted himself at some point, overgiven, or something, if he was doing magic and not knowing to show restraint. What idiot had shown him that, and not warned him of the dangers? His own father.

"Magic is not just what I can do, not just summoning and controlling flames. That is not even all I can do. And what you describes sounds like magic. I can perhaps show you some things that could help a bit with that... Though only if you are willing to show a bit more restraint with magic, than you have in general today."

"You recall those things I wrote on you? Those are called glyphs. The particular one I was doing, was an example of a focus. Though one done by you might look completely different. They do as they are called, help focus magic. I bet if you drew a focus on your arm, you would find it easier to pull energy there, through your magic."

Clyde of course, was giving him a bit of a lesson in glyphing... Though if he was going to be his student, he would expect him to at least gain some skill in the magical art of runes and glyphs. And he would find if he listened, such a skill would certainly help in his magical endeavors.

However as Gallo let out a bit of his frustration on Clyde, was a bit cheeky to him, it simply angered Clyde once again, rage coming into his face, as he walked up to the man, bringing his face within an inch of his new students...

"Well pardon me, for being a bit suspicious and wanting to know more when I learn someone is a mage! You sit here and talk of being cut with a weapon, and falling and hitting a log. Poor you! Do you know how I got these burns on my face? I gained them when I was 12! Twelve years old!"

By know, Clyde was shouting in his face, clearly angry, shouting his tale at him, for once more being a person who thought it was his own fault his face was burned and disfigured.

"I was training my magic in Syliras, when I drew the attention and anger of an old man. So you know what he did? He used his own magic, and nearly destroyed my mind, taking away who I was for 6 years, until I regained my mind in Ravok. And along with that, he did this to my face! So sorry for you for some paltry injuries, and for me being angry at finding out you are a mage and did not tell me!"

Clyde stalked off, fuming, not looking at Gallo in the face... Holding back the urge he had right now, to set off a flame, and let it grow, till it devoured the entire building, perhaps along with its owner... When he got angry like this, it was so hard to keep his fire in check...

In a dead, neutral tone, Clyde spoke to Gallo, not even looking at him.

"So I showed you my focus. Now you make one. Choose a focus that reflects you, and draw it. Then you can see how it makes your energy transfers easier... This is my first lesson... The first tenet, of drawing arcane glyphs, to control magic... A branch of magic on there own..."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clandestine Duplais on June 29th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Gallo simple remained stark silent and slightly pale. The man was close enough that if Gallo was any colder he feared the breath would condensate on his skin. He listened and considered the story with great care. He never realized the pains he felt after a session was because of magic. After the man, who obviously fumed and walked away from Gallo, he relaxed. He stepped back and away from the man and rested on a table.

The imagery of a young man being burned so horribly was something he'd never imagined was caused by magic. He heard the demand to draw a glyph, a focus, and picked up a quill and some ink much like Clyde had. He sat back in a chair and lowered the waist of his pants enough to expose a thigh. He thought for a moment as to what image or symbol meant the most to him. He remembered the easier life he had compared to Clyde and what of the images meant the most to him.

After a moment's thought Gallo began to draw on his skin the image that was most dear to him. While he began to sloppily draw he continued to speak, "I apologize for my actions. But as long as you want to know about my combat, err magic use, I have felt times of almost crippling pain and discomfort in my legs and arms after sessions. Is it because of magic? I always thought it was just muscles becoming stronger."

After a long moment Gallo completed his focus. It wasn't as intricate or nice to look at than Clyde's however the image on his thigh held much value to him. A rectangle of connected numbers filled the frame of what appeared to be an oak tree. The thick trunk had subtle curves to it and was in the shape of a Y.
Where branches and leaves were supposed to be drawn, numbers were in their place. Numbers that held significant to Gallo and his sister.

"I think I'm done...how do I use it?" Gallo looked toward Clyde cautiously like a dog who knows it had done something wrong.
Clandestine Duplais
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 29th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Now that Clyde had calmed down a bit, he inspected the glyph Gallo was making. It was different to his own, as was to be expected, and he watched as he worked on it, and then questioned Clyde.

"I am fairly certain it is because of magic. Normal physical training and use would not do that. It certainly sounds like a backlash... Often in magic, in order to make yourself stronger for a bit, there is a cost, and in the end you pay for that moment of strength, by time of weakness. And if you push it to far, you can pay much more dearly, and be permanently damaged..."

Then he wanted to know how to use it... Hadn't he just explained what it did, and how to use it?

"I told you, it is a focus, it will help focus your magic. Glyphing does nothing on its own, its usefulness is in how it affects other magic. A focus helps in focusing and drawing magic to a specific location. So you can use that glyph, to help draw energy to that location. It should be a bit easier, or faster to do so, when you have a focus for the magic to go to... It has other uses, but that is all you will use it for for awhile."

Clyde headed over to the table, and prepared his ink and quill, and a piece of parchment. He began drawing on it, a series of diamond shapes, touching tip to tip. They would slightly curve as they went around till they made up a circle, about halfway between the middle of the page, and the outer edge.

"A glyph or a rune, is a single thing drawn. Usually, a collection of glyphs, come together to make a sigil. All sigils, the focus you just drew being the exception, are a bunch of glyphs tied together, for a purpose. This ring of diamonds I drew, is a sigil. A barrier. It usually either keeps magic inside from getting out, or outside from getting in."

Clyde Looked down at the paper, examining it... It was not to bad, though it could certainly be strengthened... He doubted the shapes were good for long term usage, but were good enough for this short demonstration.

He drew a triangle next to the barrier, drawing a small circle at each tip of the triangle, and then in common wrote: release the barrier, when "release" is spoken, while touching with this page.

"Now, use the focus, and then I will explain what these are, and show what they can do."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clandestine Duplais on June 30th, 2012, 6:26 am

Gallo felt a small sense of accomplishment when he found that he hadn't completely botched the focus. He listened intently and absorbed everything that was being told to him. As Clyde continued to talk, Gallo slowly realized that he preferred this style of teaching apposed to sit and study work. But then again, he was always the more physical of the twins. Gallo soon swiveled himself toward the body and leaned over the worn table slightly and inspected what Clyde was up to. He observed as Clyde began to draw out a design on a discarded sheet of parchment.

"These sigils are like a ship then? I mean they hold cargo and don't go anywhere until a breeze is caught in the sails?" Gallo realized that his analogy only worked in one way but he thought he understood the basic concept.

He was mostly speaking to himself as he watched as a command was written on the parchment along with the rest of the design. Gallo stood and lifted his clothing back up to his waist as he held it up with a hand. He listened to Clyde and gave an unsure look. "It might take a second," he warned before he took a stance similar to what he would use in training.

His eyes closed as he began to calm himself from all the excitement of the day before he began to speak an incantation. After a moment his lips curled into a soft grin, "Heh, I found that feeling quite faster than before. It was sort of like fluid that just rolled down to my leg but instead of weighing it down it feels lighter than ever." Gallo was unsure how long he could keep that feeling up, but figured it was where Clyde wanted Gallo to be at that time. Already after he started to speak, he could feel the sensation begin to weaken.
Clandestine Duplais
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 30th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Clyde listened to his odd way of a metaphor... So, he liked metaphors? He supposed it did help some people, to be able to relate to something physical they could imagine and see. So, he tried a metaphor of his own.

"Think of it more like a fort. It can keep soldiers in from getting out, and things outside from getting in. The barrier sigil, acts as the walls of the fort. Now this other sigil I drew here, with the common instructions next to it, is a sigil called a trigger. It either activates, or deactivates, another glyph or sigil. In this case, it will deactivate the barrier. It could make the walls fall down so to speak, or to be erected."

As he spoke of using his magic, saying it sort of flowed easier, well Clyde supposed that was what he had expected... Regardless, he had successfully used a focus to help with his magic... Even if Clyde had no idea really what that magic could do, besides apparently being something physical for fighting.

"All right, now watch what I do. That barrier, should stop magic from crossing it. So if I did it right, that is what it will do."

Clyde walked over to the piece of paper and glyphing, and put one hand over it... He exuded a small bit of his res, as a liquid, and dripped it from his hand to the very center of the paper... It was a really small amount, enough to make a flame about the size of a candle-flame...

Then he lit it. The parchment quickly caught aflame, and the magical fire spread... It raced across the dried out scrap, but stopped upon reaching the sigil... The flame could not go past it, since it had been magically created... Soon the fire died out, since it had nothing to consume.

Clyde smiled up at him, to see his reaction. The entire center of the scrap was gone, only leaving the inked area of the sigil, and the bit around it... Then Clyde touched one finger to the corner of the paper, and held it there, and said "release." As he said it, the barrier sigil vanished, and a moment later, the rest of the scrap parchment crumbled to bits.

Hopefully this live example of both a barrier sigil, and a trigger, would help him to understand it better.

"Now, as you can see, once it is spent, a glyph dissapears... And usually what is it written on is destroyed or damaged. In the case of paper, a scroll will crumble "

Now why don't you try to draw a barrier on a bit of paper. You need to practice the act of drawing the glyphs, to get better.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clandestine Duplais on July 2nd, 2012, 8:05 pm

Gallon nodded as he lost complete focus on what he had just finished. He was fascinated with the focus he had drawn, however it would seem it was not even the tip of the iceberg of what he was going to be taught. Gallo walked closer to where Clyde stood and leaned over to observe what Clyde was up to. He watched as the mage conjured up a liquid and placed on a piece of parchment. Gallo was fascinated up until a flame erupted and burned the paper. Gallo leaned back, mostly out of startle, shielding his body from a possible trick. But it was only after he found himself unharmed that he observed the power of the sigil drawn.

Then he watched as Clyde released the sigil and the paper seemed to turn to dust the way it would have been if it were consumed by the flame. "I thought I said no fire in the home?" Gallo said a weak reprimand to Clyde. The shock turned to utter curiosity and drive within him. It didn't take Gallo long before he pulled a scrap sheet of paper and began to mimic what he had seen Clyde do.

"Does it matter what shape is drawn? Should I be doing something or channeling this force into the paper?" Gallo asked the questions in flights, hardly pausing between each of his questions. He paused his drawing to dip the quill into ink before he continued to draw the diamond configuration he had just witnessed. Though his were sloppier and did not make a uniform formation as he drew it. He grumbled knowing that his was not about to turn out the same way as Clyde's did. "What was that stuff you put onto the paper before it caught flame?"

Gallo asked before he paused before writing the release. "Uhh, what do I have to write in order to complete this?"
Clandestine Duplais
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 2nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

Full of questions. So full of questions. In some ways, that was a good thing. But in others, it was a bit annoying. And sometimes, an over propensity to ask questions, and stick your nose into things, could prove fatal... He would have to be careful to make sure his inquiries were kept in check, while still telling him what he needed to know.

"That was barely a spark, not an outright fire. And don't forget, if I wanted to, I could as easily set your entire house ablaze. Be happy I showed some restraint."

Then it was on to a flurry of other questions. The divine, was he full of a never-ending stream of them.

"The exact shape does not matter, the intent does. Your will and intent, which are exemplified and made physical, by the runes. It does not matter if those had been triangles, stars, circles, whatever, it could have done the same thing. Just know, it needs to be something that makes sense, and is of meaning to you. The runes themselves though, are what is important. Whether made in the dirt, in ink, with blood, or whatever, the runes themselves matter."

"And that 'stuff', as you call it, was a part of me, my res. Think of it as the fuel for reimancy. I changed it into flame. You recall the fire I did before, on the expedition. That magic was what allowed me to do so, the same as that spark there."

Clyde inspected what he had written. He had more or less copied what Clyde had done... Really? He had explained several times now that he did not have to do it the same as him, but still he tried copying his.

"That is fine, it is good for know. The trigger as I said, attaches to another part of the glyphing, and either activates, or deactivates it. If you put a focus in the middle, then the focus could hold the magic, with the barrier keeping it inside, and the trigger releasing the barrier, and letting out the magic. But that is beyond you for know. It would not be stable. Perhaps this is a good stopping point."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

PreviousNext