Avanthal Community Development

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Valkyrie on June 21st, 2012, 8:15 pm

Community Development

These hares support teamwork, do you? This is the ideal place for me as an ST to get an idea of what people playing in Avanthal are interested in seeing. This thread is for suggestions, planning development, questions, and anything else related to development within Avanthal.Getting input and suggestions from players is the best way for me to develop Avanthal into a fun and interesting place to play in. Please feel free to drop any and all ideas here. I will consider any and all suggestions as long as they cohere to the city's general theme and lore. I will try to post projects I’m working on often and offer opportunities for others to help develop Avanthal. If there is something you would be interested in seeing, feel free to drop the idea here or send me a PM if you’d prefer. Please post all constructive criticism here, all opinions are welcome as long as they are expressed respectfully.

Below are listed some templates you can use when compiling information for development. Please try to format locations and NPCs to the style that is already being used in Avanthal. All entries should have an image and this image MUST be hosted in Mizahar's galleries. Contact an ST with questions.

Location Template
Name
Description
Products/Services (If applicable)
NPC Info (if applicable)
Employment and Training Info (if applicable)

NPC Template
Name
Race
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Title/Occupation
Skills (5 Main)
Gnosis (if applicable)
Personality/History

Animal Template
Name
Common Locations
Frequency
Characteristics
Social Structure
Miscellaneous

Plant Template
Name
Common Locations
Frequency
Description
Uses
Miscellaneous

VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nate Frostfawn on July 17th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Okay so here are my first two animals for the bestiary like I mentioned to you (:

ImageName: Talderan Wolf
Common Locations: Northern Taldera and Northern Reaches
Frequency: Common

Characteristics: Talderan wolves are a very diverse species. Both dire and non-dire wolves can be found, and almost every coat colour is represented. Normal wolves can measure from 105-160cm in length, while dire wolves can be anywhere from 200-400cm. All wolves are powerfully built, and can move through the snows at a rapid pace. Wolves have very keen eyesight, hearing and sense of smell, so it is very hard to shake one, or several if you are being tailed. They hunt mostly on snow foxes, snow hares and caribou.

Social Structure: Wolves are pack animals. A wolf pack can range from 2 members, right up to 20 members, although the average size of a wolf pack seems to be around 5 individuals. It is also not uncommon to see a wolf on its own. A wolf pair mates for life, and generally only the lead, or alpha pair in a pack will mate. Pups are usually born in the winter, with an average litter size of 5-6.

Miscellaneous: The hunting of wolves is not regulated due to their high numbers, though they are generally dangerous to approach. Their coats fetch a reasonable price, with certain colours of fur being worth more. If a hunter sees a wolf in or around the city, they are encouraged to shoot it since livestock is at risk from these predators.

Code: Select all
[image2=right]http://www.mizahar.com/forums/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=11931[/img2]Name: Talderan Wolf

Characteristics: Talderan wolves are a very diverse species. Both dire and non-dire wolves can be found, and almost every coat colour is represented. Normal wolves can measure from 105-160cm in length, while dire wolves can be anywhere from 200-400cm. All wolves are powerfully built, and can move through the snows at a rapid pace. Wolves have very keen eyesight, hearing and sense of smell, so it is very hard to shake one, or several if you are being tailed. They hunt mostly on snow foxes, snow hares and caribou.

Social Structure: Wolves are pack animals. A wolf pack can range from 2 members, right up to 20 members, although the average size of a wolf pack seems to be around 5 individuals. It is also not uncommon to see a wolf on its own. A wolf pair mates for life, and generally only the lead, or alpha pair in a pack will mate. Pups are usually born in winter, with an average litter size of 5-6.

Miscellaneous: The hunting of wolves is not regulated due to their high numbers, though they are generally dangerous to approach. Their coats fetch a reasonable price, with certain colours of fur being worth more. If a hunter sees a wolf in or around the city, they are encouraged to shoot it since livestock is at risk from these predators.

Image Name: Caribou

Characteristics: Caribou are large deer-like mammals with thick, spiked antlers. They average around 60 inches at the shoulder, with males tending to be bigger than females. Both males and females have antlers, and the number of tines equates to the age of the animal. Their fur can range from almost white to darker fawn, with mot caribou having more than one colour. They feed largely on lichens, mosses, leaves and roots, and it has been reported that some eat bird eggs when vegetation is scarce.

Social Structure: When they move caribou travel in herds, though they tend to spread out once they reach their destination. Elsewhere in Mizahar herd sizes can reach huge numbers, but they tend to be smaller in Taldera with an average herd size being only in the 100’s. Young is born in the late fall after a gestation period of around 8 months.

Miscellaneous: The caribou are the most commonly hunted mammal by members of the Frostfawn hold. Their meat is the most widely eaten, and their furs the most common to find in clothing. As such, they are not regulated by the hunters, though anyone bringing in a pregnant female or a male in its peak will be met with a frown.

Code: Select all
[img2=right]http://www.mizahar.com/forums/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=11936[/img2] Name: Caribou

Characteristics: Caribou are large deer-like mammals with thick, spiked antlers. They average around 60 inches at the shoulder, with males tending to be bigger than females. Both males and females have antlers, and the number of tines equates to the age of the animal. Their fur can range from almost white to darker fawn, with mot caribou having more than one colour. They feed largely on lichens, mosses, leaves and roots, and it has been reported that some eat bird eggs when vegetation is scarce.

Social Structure: When they move caribou travel in herds, though they tend to spread out once they reach their destination. Elsewhere in Mizahar herd sizes can reach huge numbers, but they tend to be smaller in Taldera with an average herd size being only in the 100’s. Young is born in the late fall after a gestation period of around 8 months.

Miscellaneous: The caribou are the most commonly hunted mammal by members of the Frostfawn hold. Their meat is the most widely eaten, and their furs the most common to find in clothing. As such, they are not regulated by the hunters, though anyone bringing in a pregnant female or a male in its peak will be met with a frown.
Last edited by Nate Frostfawn on July 17th, 2012, 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nate Frostfawn
Player

Words: 49409
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arcadius on July 17th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Name : Hunter's Pride Deer

Common Locations : Small Forests Throughout Avanthal, Northern Taldera

Frequency : Uncommon

Characteristics : Hunter's Pride Deer (often called Hunter's Deer, Pride Deer, or Whitetail) weigh around 125 - 300lbs. In length they are around 60"-90" and stand a maximum 3' 6" from the ground. Reaching sexual maturity at age 2, their breeding season stretches throughout the fall season. Hunter's Pride Deer average two fawns per birth but can have a minimum of one and a maximum of four. Hunter's Pride Deer average a lifespan of 10 years unless they fall into a predator's grasp. Male Hunter's Deer are the only gender with forward curving antlers, the number of points varying depending on the deer. Antlers are shed and grown back every year. Hunter's Pride Deer have a greyish brown coat year round. They whistle, snort, grunt, and even rarely bugle. Their diet consists of a variety of berries, brush, grasses, and bark. They have a large tail with a white underside that sticks up when alarmed or running hence their nickname, Whitetail. They are highly aggressive when one provokes them or enters their territory but are peaceful animals if left alone. Females will attack if their young are at stake with no questions asked. In breeding season, Bucks challenge one another for does and their breeding rights.

Social Structure : Hunter's Pride Deer travel in large herds consisting of many does, several smaller bucks, and a head leader buck. Does will usually investigate an open place before the bucks come out of cover since they are the ones most wanted and are much bigger. If in trouble by a predator, the bucks would usually let the does run and the bucks fight it off. One of the unusual qualities about this deer species.

Miscellaneous : This is one of the most evasive species of deer with capture/kill rates being at about 10% which is very low. For this reason, their pelts are worth around 30GM. Their antlers are strong enough to be mended together and used for whistles, game calls, decor, and even sword hilt decorations and pieces.
Last edited by Arcadius on July 18th, 2012, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arcadius
Retired Forever

Words: 18603
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2012, 12:09 am
Race: Kelvic
Storyteller secrets

Postby Valkyrie on July 17th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Nate – The wolf is good to go as long as you change the “pups are usually born in the summer” to winter in the social structure paragraph. With the caribou, their foaling date will need to be altered to winter as well, or perhaps late Fall. Other then that I think they look pretty great!

Arcadius – I really liked your description. The only change I would like to see is to have their common locations be in Northern Taldera such as the Northern Reaches. If you would like to keep them in Southern Taldera, that’s fine, but I would recommend putting them in the Spires suggestion box since they cover the Southern Taldera area.

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on July 17th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Looks great Nate! I like both of your animals.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on July 18th, 2012, 1:34 am

Looks great Arcadius!

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Arcadius on July 18th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Name: Frostbaring Willow

Common Locations: Located All Around Avanthal/Most common around Mirror Lake

Description: This highly unique yet common plant is very valuable to the citizens of Avanthal. The bark of the Frostbaring Willow is always covered with a liquid ice look, but in reality it is a pure solid. On the first day of Winter, the tree blossoms with white flowers with four white styles and silver stigmas. These flowers can actually be eaten cooked or raw and can relieve pain for about ten minutes. If too many are eaten however, the person can develop numbness and tingling for an entire day maximum. This excluding animals. The bark however can be consumed and is used just for that reason. The bark does not benefit nor harm anything and is often served as a side dish. When boiled the bark is almost like noodles. ImageThe liquid look a like substance can actually be used as a sweetener and also is usually left on the bark when being prepared. This liquid is called "Ice Juice" since it can be a temporary replacement for water. The Frostbaring Willow's leaves are solid white and are a common food source for animals. The bark is usually licked on by forest animals because of the "Ice Juice" as well as eaten. If Ice Juice is removed from the bark, the tree will produce more to replace what was taken. This is usually done at around three hours. This tree has a quick recovery rate usually growing it's stripped bark back in less than two weeks.

Uses: Food, Sweetener, Drink, Pain Relief

Miscellaneous: For Philtering purposes, all the parts of the tree can be ground up into a fine white paste like substance that when eaten can miraculously relieve pain. Too much of the potion, however, can cause a great headache instantly. Otherwise, this is a good tree and cannot be used for any other harm.
Last edited by Arcadius on August 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadius
Retired Forever

Words: 18603
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2012, 12:09 am
Race: Kelvic
Storyteller secrets

Postby Creeper on July 19th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Talderan Wolf, Caribou, and Hunter Pride's Deer all approved.

The Frostbaring Willow must first be checked by Valkyrie before I can approve it.
Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Valkyrie on July 19th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Arcadius, I really like the Frostbaring Willow! The only addition I would like to see is perhaps in the Miscellaneous section you could include some philtering uses for the tree? Can those pain alleviating flowers be made into a potion?

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Balthazaar Kraigen on July 19th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Name: Chill Berries/ Chill Berry Bushes

Common Locations: Northern Taldera/ Especially around Avanthal

Frequency: Low

Description:

Medium in size with icy blue leaves and snow white berries, the Chill Berry Bush is a hardy plant with unique properties. It thrives in the harshest, coldest climates and cannot flourish in even slightly warmer environments. Chill berries themselves have the distinct ability to lower the body temperature of anyone who ingests them. They are most commonly found in the forest areas surrounding Avanthal but have been seen throughout all of Northern Taldera. Their low frequency and incredibly sweet taste (as well as their special properties) make them very valuable, especially to the medical professionals of Avanthal and most are willing to pay a decent sum for even a small supply of them.

Uses:

They are most commonly used by doctors to help ease the suffering of the ill, reduce their fevers and return their body’s overall temperature to a normal level. Ingestion of too many of these berries can also have a severe if not fatal effect. As a general rule of thumb no more than two berries should be eaten a day for anyone who isn’t running a high temperature. Below is a list of effects that berries can have on the body based on the number eaten:

1-2 Berries: The body feels much cooler, as if a chill has run up your spine or you just walked outside on a frigid day.

3-4 Berries: You feel as if you have been outside in harsh cold for many hours. Your feet and hands begin to numb and you have an uncontrollable shiver.

5-6 Berries: Your whole body is numb and activity of any kind is very difficult. Certain parts of your body begin to shut down and if medical help isn’t sought out it can have lasting effects.

7+ Berries: The body begins to shut down completely. Medical attention is necessary at this level or death is eminent.

Miscellaneous:

The effects of these berries are lessened if the individual ingests them in a very warm atmosphere or if they berries are smashed up and mixed with other ingredients, especially warmer foods. The effects themselves can last anywhere from 3-8 hours or longer in certain cases. It is advised that even after the effects have dissipated that the individual wait at least 24 hours before consuming anymore.
Balthazaar Kraigen
Pick Your Poison!

Words: 46543
Joined roleplay: May 17th, 2012, 4:20 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Next