Avanthal Community Development

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Valkyrie on July 20th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Balthazaar, I like the chill berries and approve them as they are.
VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sliver on July 25th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Name: Talderan Sabretooth

Common Locations: Northern Taldera, Northern Wastes

Frequency: Low

Characteristics: The Talderan Sabretooth weighs anywhere from 400-800 lbs and ranges in height and length with a smaller Sabretooth being 8’ long (including tail) and 4’ high to larger specimens being, 12’ long and 6’ high. Females are larger than males of the species. The reader will take note that these measurements do not include the dire variety of Sabretooth, and while rare, they are extremely dangerous and capable of singlehandedly taking down a Waste Mammoth. Their fur color is usually a light grey or snow white, with slightly darker stripes or spots. The color of a Sabretooth’s tusks will show how old it is, with young specimens being a pale yellow, and aged Sabretooth’s having almost ebony tusks. The oldest reported Sabretooth ever killed was about 20 years old, though it is suspected the breed can survive for longer. Their most common food source is deer and caribou, though they have been known to take down wolves and Waste Walrus’s.

Social Structure: The Talderan Sabretooth is a solitary species that prefers to live in what most would consider inhospitable terrain, far away from any vestiges of human society. Cubs are generally born in pairs and reach maturity after 2 years wherein they leave their mother’s care and make their way into the wintery world. Mating is a complex process that involves several male Sabretooth suitors bringing gifts of game to the female in order to impress her. Fatalities are common in the process of these mating rituals, but are usually caused by an enraged female, and not males fighting one another. Studies have shown that there are specific zones of Sabretooth ruled over by an Alpha female who takes the best hunting areas and dens for herself, while keeping appraised of the other Sabretooth in the area. Unless an Alpha has taken a grievous injury, they are usually not challenged for their role until they have begun to succumb to age, and many people suspect the only reason Dire Sabreteeth are rarely seen is because they do not have to leave their zone, being the Alpha of the area.

Miscellaneous: While the Talderan Sabretooth is a fairly rare animal, its tusks worth 50 gm apiece and its pelt worth 40 gm, no special permission is required to hunt one, because no one would be stupid enough to try on their own, or even in a group. Generally the Icewatch organizes a bi-annual hunting party comprised of the most elite and well trained trackers and hunters to venture into Sabretooth territory, and even then the chance of fatality is still high.

Code: Select all
[img]http://www.mizahar.com/forums/gallery/pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=12216[/img]
Name: Talderan Sabretooth
Common Locations: Northern Taldera, Northern Wastes
Frequency: Low
Characteristics:  The Talderan Sabretooth weighs anywhere from 400-800 lbs and ranges in height and length with a smaller Sabretooth being 8’ long (including tail) and 4’ high to larger specimens being, 12’ long and 6’ high.  Females are larger than males of the species.  The reader will take note that these measurements do not include the dire variety of Sabretooth, and while rare, they are extremely dangerous and able to singlehandedly take down a Waste Mammoth.  Their fur color is usually a light grey or snow white, with slightly darker stripes or spots.  The color of a Sabretooth’s tusks will show how old it is, with young specimens being a pale yellow, and aged Sabretooth’s having almost ebony tusks.  The oldest reported Sabretooth ever killed was about 20 years old, though it is suspected the breed can survive for longer.  Their most common food is deer and caribou, though they have been known to take down wolves and Waste Walrus’s.

Social Structure: The Talderan Sabretooth is a solitary species that prefers to live in what most would consider inhospitable terrain, far away from any vestiges of human society.  Cubs are generally born in pairs and reach maturity after 2 years wherein they leave their mother’s care and make their way into the wintery world.  Mating is a complex process that involves several male Sabretooth suitors bringing gifts of game to the female in order to impress her.  Fatalities are common in the process of these mating rituals, but are usually caused by an enraged female, and not males fighting one another.  Studies have shown that there are specific [i]zones[/i] of Sabretooth ruled over by an Alpha female who takes the best hunting areas and dens for herself, while keeping appraised of the other Sabretooth in the area.  Unless an Alpha has taken a grievous injury, they are usually not challenged for their role until they have begun to succumb to age, and many people suspect the only reason Dire Sabreteeth are rarely seen is because they do not have to leave their zone, being the Alpha of the area.

Miscellaneous: While the Talderan Sabretooth is a fairly rare animal, its tusks worth 50 gm apiece and its pelt worth 40 gm, no special permission is required to hunt one, because no one would be stupid enough to try on their own, or even in a group.  Generally the Icewatch organizes a bi-annual hunting party comprised of the most elite and well trained trackers and hunters to venture into Sabretooth territory, and even then the chance of fatality is still high.
Last edited by Sliver on July 28th, 2012, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sliver
Do I look like a woman who exaggerates?

Words: 358206
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Valkyrie on July 27th, 2012, 9:15 pm

The Talderan Sabretooth has my approval, well done Sliver.

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Geothryn on July 28th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Image Name: Snow Grass
Common Locations: Northern Reaches
Frequency: Common
Description: A resilient species of grass, it grows thick at the root and thins out considerable only a short distance up, forcing the blade to poke up through the snow that usually bedecks the ground. When stepped on, it has interesting properties that make it revert to upright position after a matter of minutes, mending the crushed fibers rapidly.

Uses: Woven and layered into rope, pasture for livestock, narcotic effects. Slight hallucinogenic fumes are given off when burnt. Use as kindling is not recommended. Grinding a few blades of the Snow Grass with Chill Berries helps to strengthen the berry's effects.
Miscellaneous: It's Grass.
Everything seems to be returning to normal, so forecast is normal posting rate with a chance of binge posting on the weekends.
Geothryn
The Toeless Troubadour

Words: 21563
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2012, 10:39 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Arcadius on August 1st, 2012, 7:05 pm

Name: Snow Glider Horse

Common Locations: Northern Talderan Forests & The Northern Wastes

Frequency: Rare

Characteristics: These magnificent creatures have snow white coats with visible dapples on their withers and hindquarters. They have midnight black manes and tails as well as a black fading muzzle. These horses are exceptionally wild and are very good at evading people and predators. They are a lot faster than other horses and animals in the snow. They have a shortish coat but have a natural body chemical that prevents the horse from getting cold and freezing in temperatures down to -40F. This breed of horse is very unusual and has a life long mate. If one partner dies, they sulk and grieve for one another for up to a year at a time then move on to find another. This period in which they sulk is called their Grieving Year. Snow Gliders have larger hooves than your average horse. These act almost like snow shoes and allow them to almost glide across the snow. These horses have an average of one foals every birth. Mating season as well as birth season, is year round but mares take birth intervals of up to two years. Living in a harsh enviroment, they have learnt to adapt. They eat snow as their source of water and eat almost any vegetation they can find which causes them to often be led into traps. These are very hardy horses that pull more than their weight. Unlike a lot of animals, they burn calories exceptionally slowly.

Social Structure: Snow Gliders live in herds up to 10 at times. There is one stallion per herd that leads.

Miscellaneous: Their pelts are useless as coats and decoration as they easily begin to fall apart once skinned from the killed Snow Glider as well as they provide almost no warmth. These however are expensive animals with their pelts reaching prices over 550GM. One cannot obtain a horse by buying. One must go out and catch and tame their own Snow Glider. These horses do not do well at all in climates outside of Avanthal and Northern Taldera and can actually risk heat stroke at temperatures over 60F. These are not favored riding/buggy horses as they are very moody with bad temperaments if whipped or pushed. These bad temperaments include bucking, kicking the buggy, biting their gear, nipping anyone that walks by, etc. These are truly wild mustangs. You can try and break them, but they will always have a bad temperament.

Grieving Year: The Grieving Year is an amount of time in which a Snow Glider mourns and grieves their lost mate for a year. This can occur through being captured, their mate being captured, their mate being killed, or the plain permanent absence of their mate. This is a period of which the Snow Glider is heartbroken and sulks and mourns. The Snow Glider shows they are in their Grieving Year by long and sorrowful neighs and whinnies, low hanging head, severe aggression towards beings that bother them, and random bursts of violence. These random acts of violence include random bucking, rearing, and nipping with ears pinned back. This also includes random bursts of sprinting accompanied by the others. This includes but is not limited to these actions. When they pass their Grieving Year, they are still recovering but it is not as violent. At this point, they are looking for a new mate. This is the period to try and bond with one. Especially right after. Comforting, soft toned talking, stroking, and lots of love can help the Snow Glider want to bond with you. This could take lot of time and requires a lot of patience. There is a 20% chance that the Snow Glider will NEVER bond with you. Once they bond with you, you better not take advantage of it. You should still show them the loving care you showed them while trying to tame them. After they bond with you, they see you as their mate and love you. They still have bad temperaments when pushed though and can still act violent if you use harsh voices and push them to. Encouragement goes a very long way with these horses.
Arcadius
Retired Forever

Words: 18603
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2012, 12:09 am
Race: Kelvic
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lixue on August 3rd, 2012, 8:05 pm

The Aurora Showcase

Designed and run by the Skyglow Hold, the Aurora Showcase is a masterpiece of a building. The building is made of the mineral Icestone. Looking more like tents on a horizon than a building, the Aurora Showcase glows in the dark by the lights within. There is one main entrance. Here, the carvings of seals reside on either side of a magnificent entryway. There is a smaller door found at the bottom of this tall archway.

Upon entering the Aurora Showcase, unless one is a recurring visitor, most are shell-shocked. The inside is gorgeous. Artwork litters the main room; paintings, ice sculptures, pottery, and floristry with icicles hanging from the tips. Weaved mats lead the way to a desk situated farther in. Off to the right, a corkboard hangs on the wall. One may find miscellaneous advertisements ranging from art shows to people seeking apprentices. An assistant sits at the front desk at all times and welcomes those who enter with the words, "Hello! Welcome to the Aurora Showcase. I am ____. How may I help you?" If an individual is looking for a specific person, this assistant will lead them to the destination. If inquiring about a room, the assistant will make an appointment with the headmaster.

There are a total of two hundred and nine rooms. Each one has a window. They start at a basic price and twenty by twenty square feet. Gradually, both the space and price move upwards. The rooms are completely blank, a clean canvas of sorts. The artist may use the room for anything they do what they will; whether it be shows, work spaces, creating a shop, or teaching apprentices. Each area is soundproof and pure white. Artists who pull late nights are known to keep spare beds around. On the other hand, it is generally looked down upon for the person to permanently live in the rooms. If an individual wishes to go against the grain, only one person may live in the area at one time. There is a high rent for this lifestyle.

Svisharie :
ImageName: Svisharie
Race: Vantha
DoB: 464 AV (48)
PoB: Avanthal
Title: Leader of the Aurora Showcase
Skills:
•Pottery (86)
•Painting (65)
•Teaching (67)
•Sculpting (78)
2-Ice Reaving

Svisharie is a creative Vantha. She is known for her pottery, which are showcased all over Avanthal. People claim she can turn a lump of clay into a piece of artwork in a matter of minutes. While this may not be true, Svisharie is a quick worker. A kind soul, if not a bit of a pushover, Svisharie gives into nearly everything except the pricing on her studio rooms. On those she is firm. In fact, those who try to negotiate find their prices go up. Single, Sviasharie has no love life and devotes all of her time into her art. She truly believes an artist should learn from a mentor and takes on nearly six apprentices each season for fifteen days each.

To be an apprentice to Svisharie, one must dedicate their days to the art. This means any jobs the individual may have will be ignored. The person will live in Svisharie's art studio for the required time and may not leave except for emergencies. This is because Svisharie wants the individual to open their mind to the art, to breathe the creative muse. To even be considered for apprenticeship, as Svisharie has a lot of people wanting to learn from her, the individual must be competent in either pottery, painting, or sculpting. They must also be a confident person and able to withstand critiques.

Svisharie's studio changes temperature drastically. One moment it can be considered warm by Vantha marked by Morwen and the next even those who are marked can be shivering. Because of this, Svisharie keeps a sweater nearby at all times. Spots of clay can be found randomly on Svisharie. Because of this, her hands and arms are a lighter shade than the rest of her body.

Items :
Products
Room, 20x20: 500 gm
Room, 20x40: 750 gm
Room, 40x40: 1000 gm
Room, Larger: Speak with Storyteller
More than one window: +25 gm
Rent (no matter what size): 25 gm/season
Live-in Lifestyle: 50 gm/season

Employment
Clerk: 3 gm/day
Ice Reaver (to maintain the building): 7 gm/day

Training
Apprenticeship: For NPC, PM Avanthal storyteller. For PC, contact PC.

Moderator's Note: To be able to buy a studio, one must be an expert in an art skill and contact the Svisharie.
Last edited by Lixue on August 4th, 2012, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

I am interested in learning new languages. If you are interested in teaching your language, please contact me. Thank you.
Lixue
The Amputator

Words: 329233
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Valkyrie on August 4th, 2012, 3:10 am

Arcadius – The only addition I have for the frostbaring tree is that I would like the effects of eating too many blossoms or taking the potion to have harsher consequences. Something that relieves pain affects particular receptors of the brain and too much would be very damaging. Things that do these great of things need to have equally great negative effects to provide a sense of balance. About the Snow Glider, I think you need to reread this entry and make sure it flows when you read it and that the information would be coherent for someone who is reading it for the first time. I also would like you to run this entry through a word processor to check for grammar. I would also like you to change “they see you as their mate and love you” into more along the lines of loyalty because I think this has a weird connotation. Feel free to PM me if you would like specifics.

Lixue – This looks great! The only addition I would like is specific numbers for Svisharie’s skills. I know before I told you that rooms would need to be requested from the Hold leader but after seeing how you accomplished this you can feel free to change it to requesting them from Svisharie.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on August 4th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Chill berries, talderan sabretooth, and the Aurora Showcase have all been added

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Lixue on August 5th, 2012, 10:36 pm

The Smoldering Embrace

The Smoldering Embrace is a local park in Avanthal. It is set away from the other buildings and covers nearly a square mile. This location is popular for family get-togethers or couples wanting a bonding experience. Children play hide-n-seek inside the garden whenever it is open; their laughter can be nearly a mile away. The Smoldering Embrace is only open at night. The holds take turns holding responsibility for lighting the torches and bonfire along with filling the puzzle boxes. The current hold also supplies the reimancers.

The Smoldering Embrace is in the shape of a snowflake. There are eight paths leading outward. Each one is periodically lit by bright torches, creating a glowing effect. The paths are glazed wood walls. Every now and then, if a person is observant, they can spot the dark opening of an "inner cavern". Five of the eight paths lead back to the city. The three that don't spit the person into the wilderness unexpectedly. To keep the untamed animals out, there is a heavy door. This locks automatically upon closing.

Directly in the middle of the Smoldering Embrace is the main attraction. All eight paths open up to an enormous oval center. Benches rim the edges. At either end of the oval, a single reimancer holds a fire show. Between these two individuals is a gigantic bonfire.

The bonfire is made of metal instead of wood. This is to protect the environment in the case of an emergency. The metal has been bent to the shape of a circle and holds fire pots on strategic stems. The ground around the bonfire is thawed away to dry dirt.

An "inner cavern" connects discreetly with the one of the main paths. Following a dark corridor lit only by the sky above, the individual can stumble along for up to five chimes. Some of the trails twist and/or are uneven. If a person decides to see where the footpath leads, they are often rewarded. The "prizes" range widely, if there is one at all. Occasionally, one finds themselves in a small sitting area complete with an icy bench and potted plants. Other times, the inner cavern will be complete with snow-covered seats, frozen candies and a puzzle box.

The puzzle boxes are both unique and similar. They all look the same; a golden chest big enough to hold a small child with eccentric designs carved into the wooden sides. On the outer-facing side, keeping the top latched to the bottom, is a square built into the box. Upon finding one of the puzzle boxes, irresistible urge overtakes the individual to simply touch the lined square. Doing so causes the cube to fall into numerous pieces. In order to open the chest, one must replace the parts as they had been. Only when each one is in its place will the chest top pop open. Inside, anything from a new jacket to a warm thermos of chocolate to sculptures worth up to fifty mizas. Other prizes have been known to be found as well.

There are a total of twenty inner caverns.

Moderator's Note: Prizes are generally not worth more than ten mizas. Anything over this price must be approved by a storyteller.

*Credit to Lixue
Last edited by Lixue on August 8th, 2012, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

I am interested in learning new languages. If you are interested in teaching your language, please contact me. Thank you.
Lixue
The Amputator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lixue on August 5th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Slippery Slope Sledding

The Slippery Slope Sledding is a fun recreational park in Avanthal. Children run free and even the elders still full of energy love this place. There is no fee to sled, though it is required to bring your own ride. The Iceglaze Hold is in charge of maintaining the hill. If one wants, they may make a donation to the Iceglaze Hold, who will then pass it on to the Icewatch. The money goes toward training, weaponry, and other things the Icewatch may need.

Located near Mirror Lake, the Slippery Slope Sledding oversees the skating pond. There are three parts of the hill; the small slope, the medium, the large. All three connect. The small slope is designed for children, years eight and under. It does not go fast and is completely smooth. The medium slope is to the left of the small and is designed for ages eight and up. Several leisurely bumps fill this path and it is steeper than the small. The large slope is even taller and has two ramps on it, though not dangerous. Here, one can expect to go fast enough to bring tears to the eyes.

The recreational park is created from Icestone. Off to both sides of the hill, there are Icestone stairs. Carved in the steps are tiny points to grip the bottoms of shoes and prevent slipping. To reach the bottom of the small slope, there are a grand total of twenty steps; the large has thirty-five. From side to side, there are twelve lanes for sledding; four for each part of the hill. Since snow often falls in Avanthal, the frozen precipitation is pushed to the side to create barriers from one lane to the next. This prevents any collisions between riders. One must wait a reasonable time before sledding down the hill after another person in the same track.

Moderator's Note: No moderation is needed for this location.

*Credit to Lixue
Last edited by Lixue on August 8th, 2012, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

Lixue
The Amputator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext