Sparring Amongst Stone (Imass)

[The Stone Gardens] Potential teammates meet a day after Loren Dyres' announcement.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Eridanus on July 4th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Day 43, Summer of 512 AV
Early Morning
The Stone Gardens

Even though the announcement had been made, and the mercenaries were busy preparing for their departure for Zeltiva, Eridanus found himself uneasy about the whole thing. If he had a choice, he would have preferred facing combat from the start - at least he would know how the situation was like. Now, he could only imagine unknown horrors waiting for them, and there was nothing he could do except to wait, and prepare.

To this end, he could not sleep soundly, and instead chose to head out to the tranquil gardens instead of trying to continue sleeping. It proved to be a better choice, for the morning dew was still wet on the leaves of the trees, and the cool morning air proved to be more comfortable than the sweltering heat in the Traveler's Row where many people stayed.

The fact that the gardens were devoid of people helped, and it was here that the ethaefal went to, finding a quiet secluded corner and sitting down cross-legged between two large stone pillars with tiny writing that he could not bother to decipher. His two long swords lay beside him, and his eyes were closed as he sought to calm his uneasy mind.

Despite the raging uncertainties in his thoughts, he uttered a prayer to Wysar - the God of Conviction and Discipline - and sought to implement these two characteristics in himself right now. Slowly, his mind began to calm, though he could still sense the turmoil deep in the subconscious of his mind. It would have to do for now, and gradually he focused on calming and slowing down his body processes even as he did so with his mind.
Last edited by Eridanus on July 16th, 2012, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Imass on July 4th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Imass walked into the Stone Gardens clad in full chain-mail with the crest of the Windoak on his tabard. He wore a brightly polished tree on his shield, which now hung on his back. On his side swung a gleaming broadsword.

He sat on a stone bench and stared at the floor.

The Knight couldn't sleep. He had spent the majority of the twilight hours sharpening his sword and polishing his shield for the journey. Now he was walking around the city. Although he wasn't officially on duty, he carried his weapon in case his assistance was needed. Imass was patrolling around and thinking of the mission ahead of them. They needed to take things day by day. Travelling to Zeltiva would be a tough adventure indeed. The wild lands and the sea where no laughing matter. Imass was always focusing on the task ahead of him. He always thought of things three or four steps ahead, then focused on the task presented to him. Taking life day by day was important to success for the Akalak.

Imass has frequently visited the gardens in the last two years. During the trials and tribulations of being a squire, Imass visited this spot to meditate at least three times a season. When he deemed it necessary to meditate he would go to the gardens and sit with all the men and women who had died in the line of duty years before him. He would look at the names on the stones and think of the sacrifice these brave soldiers of Syliras made. They paid the ultimate price for the city to grow and prosper. These men had died to build everything around him. Imass would do the same if he needed to. He was not afraid to be Tyveth's myter. Despite his convictions, Imass still had to deal with his dark side. The racial setback always plagued him during crucial times.

Heading to the meditation gardens was where he would center his mind again.

Imass sat at the park deep in thought for a few minutes, then he took a break and looked up. Scanning the dark area he noticed a figure sitting cross-legged in-between two stone pillars on the other side of the rocks. Imass peered closer, but could not see much of the man's features in the darkness. The knight figured that this man too was also meditating, but he had to make sure that the man was not defiling the stone garden (i.e. passed out drunk man). It was dark so that meant he had to get closer to the man.

In a respectful motion, Imass stood up and quietly walked over the stones. He ambled his way across in a manner in which his chainmail made as little noise as possible. Naturally, his chain did rattle a little, but Imass thought it wasn't loud enough to scare the person meditating.

Imass stood about twenty feet from Eridanus. The Akalak just stood silently and with his feet shoulder with apart. His hands were behind his back and his head pointed toward the sky. Imass waited silently for a few minutes while he tried to look at the man hidden in the shadows. If it was a man meditating, Imass didn’t want to interrupt.
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on July 5th, 2012, 6:12 am

Though Eridanus was in meditating, he was not in the deep sort of meditative trance. That would not be proper in a public place, no matter how deserted. Instead, he was in a meditative state akin to a slight slumber, if one were to liken meditation to sleeping. His senses were calm and zen-like, and he was very much aware of his bodily functions and processes and his surroundings.

His acute awareness and the painfully silent environment did little to hide the knight's presence, and the ethaefal sensed the soft clinking of mail easily. Gradually opening his eyes so as to not suddenly throw off his serene state, he squinted as he realized that it was still too dark to make out any details.

If the knight could somehow see in the darkness, he would realize that the ethaefal's eyes were beginning to blur into a cloudy white colour not unlike low-lying mist or chalk dust in water.

Eri's vision shimmered as he drew from the well of djed within him, made easier due to his unusually calm and focused state as a result of his meditative form. The knight's aura came into view, and he found himself looking a magical depiction of strength, honour, and darkness all within the tapestry that formed the essence of who the knight was.

One of Wysar's children - the Akalak.

There was something similar about that aura, and even as he continued to scrutinize the aura he tried his best to see what he could of the man's physical form, before realizing that this was the same akalak who was cheering for Syliras the day before during Loren Dyres' announcement.

Blinking his eyes several times as he switched off his auristics sense, the ethaefal slowly intoned, "Greetings, stranger. What brings you to this quiet place when Syna herself has barely woken?"
Last edited by Eridanus on July 16th, 2012, 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on July 5th, 2012, 3:54 pm

The figure finally spoke from deep within the shadows. The Akalak tilted his head towards the speaker's direction, before slowly pivoting on his heels to face the solitude man. Imass almost responded by approaching the man to see him more clearly, but he was off duty. He would talk to the man first before taking action.

"Many greetings, 'ser Shadow between two pillars'," Imass hinted in a flat, cold tone for Eridanus to reveal himself, "I cannot sleep my fair man. I have anxiety. I come to the garden to take my mind off the burdens I am about to endure..." Imass's flat voice trailed off. He made no mention of the quest, but he would not tell a lie. What he had spoken was the truth. It was important that vital information wasn't leaked to the wrong people. Information breeches were the worst type of accidents, so Imass would go through extra lengths to choose his words carefully.

"Why are you here before the cock has crowed?" the Akalak asked plainly to Eridanus. He showed no inflection in his voice. Very little emotion compared to the shouting knight at the Grandmaster's speech. Imass could not make any decisions until he got some answers from this person. It was strange enough for a citizen to be out at night like this, and it was stranger the man did not come forward to address the Syliran Knight.

Suspiciously, Imass waited for Eridanus's reply.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on July 6th, 2012, 4:52 am

Eridanus was not purposely hiding, but did not rise for he did not wish to suddenly break free from his partial meditative trance. His mind and body was still calm, and his speech was measured and weighed carefully as a result.

"I have the same anxiety as you, good ser. From the cheering you started yesterday I would have thought that you would have more confidence in our upcoming... venture."

The ethaefal knew that the akalak was trying to remain evasive about Knights' upcoming quest to Sahova, and probably assumed that he did not know about it. In doing so, he indirectly mentioned his own inclusion but kept the topic vague in the event that they were being eavesdropped on. Although he highly doubted it, for he would have detected their presence if anyone tried to do so.

"I find meditation an excellent way to calm the mind and body. It is with meditation that I find myself worthy to commune with Wysar," Eridanus commented in a level tone, though even as he spoke he was beginning to slowly raise himself out of the meditative trance.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on July 6th, 2012, 3:49 pm

The man continued to sit in the shadows. Judging by his tone of voice, the man was indeed probably meditating. The man then immediately announced that he was indeed one of the many hired to join in on the quest. Imass also noticed that the mysterious man had caught onto Imass's digression of speaking openly about the quest. However, seeing now that the stranger was indeed a friend of Syliras, Imass lifted the veil of secrecy.

Looking over his shoulders, Imass made note to Eridanus, "There is none that would hear our words except the knight who have passed before us," Imass paused and spread his arms in reference to all the stones around them, "We can speak plainly."

Imass paused again and thought of Eridanus' words. It was true though, Imass did have confidence in the Grandmasters plan. The Syliran Knight had other reasons for his anxiety, but he would not be so open with them. He stopped to think for a moment, then he finally responded, "I have faith in the Grandmaster. He is a talented leader with experienced advisors. I have the uttermost confidence that he will find a way for us --and you should have confidence too I might add -- The Sylrian Knights will overcome any obstacle. "

Imass looked at the countless engraved stones all around as he spoke. Like Eridanus he was still in a meditative state. He was focused on the names of the soldiers that had died in the name of the Windoak. He wished he could speak of the Windoak openly, but he couldn't. If Eridanus knew the truth of the fragment, then he too would be rest assured about the mission.

"I worship Tyveth, Lord of Honor, he prefers actions instead of meditation. I do find meditation useful for personal reasons however." Imass added.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on July 7th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Eridanus stirred as his limbs began waking up from the voluntary slumber. His reverie was at its end and he was beginning to wake up from the trance.

"I'm afraid I do not share the same utmost faith as you in the Grandmaster," The ethaefal nodded apologetically. "I do, however, acknowledge his prowess in military strategy, and I do recognize the valiant history of the Knights. More importantly, even in the face of rewards I wish to do the right thing, as governed by my polytheistic faith. The Knights have always been about honour and justice, and I am comforted that I am doing the right thing by placing my sword under the Knights' banner."

Standing up, he picked up his swords, sheathing them one by one behind his back, stretching his neck and limbs as he did so to get the blood circulating back in them properly, for deep meditation tended to slow down one's metabolic processes.

"Ah Tyveth. One of the numerous deities that the Knights worship. It is a pleasure to meet my future comrade during the quiet of the storm. I am Eridanus, Son of Leth. How may I address you, good ser?"

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on July 10th, 2012, 1:59 am

Finally the man in the shadows stood up, visible in the fading moonlight now. The man was half a head shorter than Imass. He had light hair and dark horns. The creature's skin was pale but pristine and unblemished like a young child. However the way he looked at people with his eyes and his facial expression was intense and that of someone who had a lot of experience and many years behind them. His eyes were that of a compassionate scholar and nobleman. His horns stood out intensely to Imass as well. He was not familiar with any such creatures, although he probably had seen one during his service as a squire.

The Akalak looked at the vivid Ethearal for a few seconds before responding to his introduction. He introduced himself as well, "Well met Eridanus, Son of Leth. I am known as Ser Imass. I am an unranked knight."

He was curious about why they had chosen this meek looking creature to join on the crusade. Perhaps he had some forbidden knowledge or perhaps he was a magician. Either way Imass changed the subject "I am still searching for my colors. I will show the Grandmaster in this quest that I deserve more responsibility in the order. I will fight with broadsword and shield in hand, no matter who the opponent. I will protect the innocent people that may be caught up in this mess. True honor dictates that only the enemy should be put to the sword and none else. I shall fight in the frontlines. I will do anything for Syliras."

The Akalak knight coughed lightly then continued, "That is why I am marching to Sahova. That is why I am marching ten thousand leagues away! Do you realize how many people will die just on the journey to Sahova? Syliras truly needs motivated individuals to help the cause. So within this I ask, what is your reason for going on this epic quest? Is it the reward?"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on July 16th, 2012, 5:28 am

As he stood up, Eridanus walked closer to the man addressing him, for it only seemed courteous to do so. The Rays of Syna had not yet really touched the sky, and the only illumination they had were the enchanted flames scattered sparsely throughout.

The man's physique came into view, and Eridanus found himself staring at a hugely built akalak towering over him. He had a fierce but noble expression in his eyes, that spoke of true honor and chivalry. As he spoke, the ethaefal could feel the sheer passion and dedication resonating from his words, and he knew that the man's conviction was true.

"Well met, Ser Imass. That is a truly noble goal."

Sighing in frustration, he acknowledged, "We don't even know what we're fighting, or who we're fighting. I can only hope that this would be a simple escort mission, but if the Grandmaster deemed it important to send a veritable army, he must be expecting some serious resistance. Perhaps... even a skirmish or a small war?"

"Many will die, but it is to that many more in the future can live."

The horned creature looked up at the fading moon, for the rays of light would soon be touching the sky as time passed on.

"I was Called. Somehow or another. Perhaps it was Leth, perhaps it was a gut feeling, but me and my Konti companion were beckoned here. Maybe me by Leth, and maybe her by Avalis. She saw a tree that kept appearing in her dreams, but we do not know what it symbolizes except that the Knights wear it in their badges and crests."

"I do not know of the reward until I attended that announcement. I only want to know truth, and why we were Summoned. And if I can save as many people as I can while doing so, I will do it. That is all."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on July 16th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Imass looked at Eridanus with wide eyes. Even as the last beams of moonlight faded away his horn still shined brightly. His eyes looked stranger than anything he had seen before, the color that is. He stared into his eyes anyways, as a sign of respect. He nodded and payed close attention to the Etheareal's words. The strange gleaming man seemed supernatural to Imass.

He paused for a second then reiterated the scholar's words, for his own sake,

"Eridanus, Son of Leth: strange mystic called to aide Syliras in our time of need. One called by Leth and another called by Avalis. Then the Daughter of Avalis recieved visions of the most estuite symbol of the Syliran Knights. You do not know what is next, but you shall serve your god's will."

Imass stood a moment in thought. He was thinking about the man's words now. The konti didn't see a vision of a symbol, but rather of the Windoak. The most sacred fragment was calling out to these two. To Imass this was surely an omen. It was surly the gods sending more soldiers for the cause.

At this sudden realization Imass' face lit up and he took another step closer to Eridanus. They were like a couple feet apart now.

"Eridanus, Son of Leth, on the basis of your story I believe you are destined to join the Order. I think you would be a really great knight. I want to offer you an invitation to join the Syliran Knights. You have exactly the kind of attitude the Knights need in the group." Imass said while placing a heavy hand on the scholar's shoulder. His smile was friendly and sincere, "I have faith in the God of Truth, Eridanus. I do... My good ser, please join the Knights and fullfill the visions of your companion!"

Imass released his grip quietly. He looked for a response from Eridanus. He could not say anything about the Windoak. All he could do was give the man a chance to learn about the person who truely called him.

That is when he hit him. He had a gut feeling that this man was a warrior too or at least a combat magician. It was something about his prescense. If Imass was going to convince Eridanus to join the Knights he needed to show him he was serious.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)