Wisdom in the Giving (Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on May 7th, 2010, 9:55 pm

31 Day of Spring Year 510 AV

Taithrosa decided early that morning after meditating that it was time to visit the Sanctuary. So as the sun rose and he changed back. His brilliant skin slowlly fading to a dark blue. The crystal horns that flanked his head growing dim and disappering. His eyes lost the depth and molten look they had, but they still held that slightly exautic look.

He walked along the road that lead out of riverfall and towards this horse and animal hospital that he had been hearing about. He looked up at Syna in the sky. His master beloved and smiled. For some reason it seemed like it was going to be a good day.

He soon fund himself standing before the gates to the sanctuary. His eyes looked over the building nodding in approval. It was nice to see such places were still around. It gave him hope that some signs of civilization were still around. He waited only a moment before entering, not exactly sure were to find Kavala.
Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?
Or see the grand beginning, Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation, Where Gods and matter end?
Me thinks the Spirit whispers, “No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains, Where nothing has a place.”
~ If You Could Hie To Kolob
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Words: 173686
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2010, 3:33 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on May 9th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Taith was at the back gates, the ones that led to the courtyard within the center of the square block of buildings. They called it the 'horse gates' because it lead to the enormous enclosed courtyard that held a riding arena and a round pen along with several other things that were decidedly equine in nature. An old fountain even graced the horse gate, but wasn't truly working since no one within had the knowledge to fix it. Instead, they'd filled it full of dirt and planted a sort of kitchen herb garden in it - carefully utilizing unused space until such a time as water could grace its interior once more.

Kavala was there, as usual, just beyond the gates working a horse that had a noted limp as it circled the round pen carefully. She coaxed it on with her soft voice, urging it to move out and use the leg or else it wasn't going to get better. The animal, a black zavian with a wildly star-like patterning of dots across her rump, seemed to be listening. And while the leg seemed stiff, the mare showed no signs of pain. Kavala watched keenly for it. So keenly in fact, that when the mare tipped up her nose to get a good look at the newcomer loitering by the inner gate, she caught the motion and glanced back over her shoulder which allowed her to spot Taithrosa herself. She gently called a halt to the mare's endless circling, walked to her to give her a pat, then slipped out of the round pen to walk over and let him in.

"Taith... hello! I'm glad you made it. Come on in... you can either always open the gates and let yourself in here or come around front which is where the clinic is. How are you today?" She smiled a warm greeting, glad to see her new friend and a potential healer ally.

Sanctuary :
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on May 10th, 2010, 4:15 am

Taithrosa walked into the horse arena and looked around nodding his head in approval at the place. It wasn't like an inspector or a boss approval, but a geniunely admiring friend, who in reality was easliy impressed, but still felt the need to share his admiration.

His white teeth flashed in the a smile on his dark skinned face. He nodded at the comment of coming in through either way but that the front door was through the clinic on the other side. "Hello Kavala, it is a pleasure to see you again." He looked at the horse admiration in his eyes.

"It is a peaceful place seperated from the hussel and bussel of Riverfall." He looked at her a smile still on his face. "I can see why this is such a good place for animals to be healed. I believe that all healing centers should be away from the noise of busy life." He then shrugged. "But sadely I think to many doctors don't want to be troubled." He gave a shake of his head. "So I have heard so much about this place that I just had to see it."
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on May 16th, 2010, 3:44 am

She smiled and moved forward to greet him. "Thank you. We've tried to make it peaceful. Its good for healing. Or at least that's what I think." Kavala answered, then noticed his eyes on the mare. "She's a three year old. Got ran off a small cliff and went down in a glassbeak attack that killed her rider. Had a really really bad tear to her tendon, but its almost healed now. I'm starting her back out slowly, to loosen it up, and get her to move it. If she goes slow and gathers her courage back, she'll be as good as new. If she doesn't ever loose her fear of the tall grass, we'll have to leave her a broodmare. Regardless... it will still be worth it to make sure shes not lame." Kavala said, then turned the mare loose to run on her own in the pen. She slipped under the rails and smiled.

"Would you like a tour?"
She asked, beckoning him to join her. "I hope you didn't hear anything bad. People drop by here once in a while to peer curiously at me and the facility, but they don't normally stay or say anything too crazy. I never know if its Sanctuary or a Naviak being around as a reason for them dropping by." Kavala said thoughtfully. Then started leading him towards the clinic proper. "We have two rows of stalls here, two stallion boxes, and the gates rest in between the guest quarters and staff housing. You've seen the round pen, which we train in... then the area which we ride and train in.... the baths.. and the veranda. We eat on the Veranda... you can stay for dinner... because there is no proper kitchen in the clinic." She added smiling. "The baths are set up for horses or people. There's a stone tub and a wash rack plus a cistern on the roof that heats water by sunlight all day long. And... finally the whole lower floor is the clinic. Would you like to see inside?" She asked.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on May 18th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Taith was pleased to see his friend and that she was so excited to show him around her home. He followed her as she showed him throught the large square and towards the clinic. He looked impressed at everything around him. He paused and listened as she explained about the horse. He tilted his head and looked over the mare. "I would love to see the inside of the clinic." He nodded his head at the horse. "She is beautiful? How many horses do you care for here?" He asked curiously wondering how big of an operation they had. It was a large place but he wondered if it was well used.

He was excited to see such a place. He hadn't worked with animals in his past excistances, but he could appreciate the passion that drove someone to such efforts. To see the improvement in others life. To see them become whole and be able to come back to health.

"I would enjoy joining you for a meal." He said as they contiuned to walk. "So how long has this place been around?" He wondered why people would come to stair. It wasn't that odd of a place but this was a different world? "Why would be stare. I apologies, but I am still learning some of the new ways of this world. I would think people would love a place like this?" He said his eyes filled with curiosity.
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on June 1st, 2010, 5:10 pm

ImageShe smiled, still leading him on a tour. "We have twenty three horses here right now plus the various boarders and those keeping animals here for a short time during their stay at Riverfall. Five of those are still foals on their mothers. I just sold three foals, one to pay for the roof cistern on the bath, the other two to pay for forge stone and various supplies for the forge we're building. There's also a resident cat, owl, a stray Ivaski who's very old, a fennec fox, and occasionally a bear. There's probably more I don't know about, but it changes on a daily basis." She said gently as she lead him through the courtyard and up the steps into the clinic.

Map :

There was a lot to see within. The double doors lead into an examination room with a supply room off to one side and a surgery off to the other. There was a philtering lab and Kavala's office in each corner which flanked a reception and waiting room. He could see how she was trying to juggle a great deal of things in one space - healing, herbalism, medicine, and philtering... and it seemed to be working. And though she didn't show him the private quarters upstairs, she did point out the stairs that lead upwards and told him that was where she lived. They also visited the kennels in the basement which consisted of a series of comfortable waiting and recovery areas for whatever animals were being treated - of which there were several. Two dogs were in, both having been in a rather bad fight. A small lamb was being treated for twisted joints which Kavala thought could be cured by braces until its bones started to harden. There was a feline, a wounded prairie falcon, and a litter of kittens that were severely underweight with no mother. All looked well tended and explained why Kavala looked rather tired.

"You don't remember, do you, where you used to work before?" Kavala asked curiously, wondering if he was a healer attached to a temple or if he'd somehow been working at a place like Riverfall had now.

When he asked his questions, she didn't answer immediately. But rather, she finished the tour until they were past the medicinal garden and vegitables, and back on the Veranda where she could fix him something to eat.

"I've had Sanctuary since coming here, in the Winter of 509. Two seasons. It was a run down factory of some sort and we had to start over. The city gave it to me as a business to run after the rescued me from a slave caravan bound for the Zith. I was in pretty bad shape and probably would have died. The Akalak saved my life and gave me a new start here. That makes me a Nakivak." She paused, knowing he had big gaps in his memory and might or might not understand. "They are waiting to see if I feel better. If I come out of this okay - sane and whole. There was a lot of abuse with the slavers. Not just rape, but other things. And since its only been two seasons and us Konti are slow to show child, they are waiting to make sure my waist doesn't thicken. Then once its determined I'm fine... one of them will come to collect my debt to them for rescuing me. A child. Basically I'm a broodmare for Riverfall, since the Akalak have no women and are often loosing the children they get on humans at birth, they make other arrangements to make sure they get their sons. Whomever steps forward first I'll have to pay my debt to the city with. But don't get me wrong. I don't mind. It's a small price to pay for being alive. I just wish they'd get it over with so I can stop waiting and wondering who it will be." She said gently. And the way she said it left him no doubt she was in fact fine with it, though a little sad at all the Akalak caution and curiosity.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on June 1st, 2010, 9:29 pm

His eyes glowing in fascination as he observed everything that was around him. His eyes dancing at the site. Yes this was a place of healing, were good works were performed and souls were tested and proven. That was something he remembered clearly from being a healer. One didn't do it to be shellfish. It was a trial on the soul for it consumed all of ones life. Ones dreams, time, and talents.

He was pulled up short by her question and turned to look at her with a surprised look. Then his silver eyes seemed to widen as before his mind flashed a memory.

He realized that his mind was opening with a memory. In his minds eye he was walking down well lit corridor. Along one wall were large open windows that provided all of the light. Along the other were a series of doors most which were closed, but in the memory he didn't look into any of them. Instead he looked out the windows into a courtyard. Grass and gardens covered the square beyond. From his view he could see a few benches that were designed to allow people to rest on them and enjoy the sun. Currently a few of them were being used by people whose doctor had allowed them to step out into the sun. Beyond that was a small theater were a class was currently meeting. He could see other Akalaks youth sitting around listening to a older Akalak as he taught them.

The memory only last a moment, and then Taith blinked and his silver eyes came back to the present. He looked at Kavala blankle for a moment and then smiled, his white teeth flashing against his blue skin. "Sorry you question triggered just the flash of a memory." He looked at her. "Some times it does that. I don't remember much, but I worked for a hosptial and a healers school I believe."

He listened to her story and really didn't have anything to say. He looked at her and smiled sadely. "I am glade to hear that you were saved from slavery. Sorry thought that they are making you wait to repay you debt." He had a slightly confussed look, not from her story, but because frankle no one had really explain the fertility problem. "So they want you to give the city a child. Is the situation truely that bad. I have noticed a lack of children in Riverfall, and have been told the blue skinned sons don't have as many sons anymore. I don't have to many clear memories but I do remember that children were there."

Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on June 2nd, 2010, 4:59 pm

ImageShe laughed lightly. "You looked like you were a million miles away there for a moment... or perhaps it was just distance in terms of time." She added, then looked thoughtfully at him. Kavala tilted her head slightly, paused to lean a hip against a cupboard - for she'd been opening cabinets and letting him look at how she had the clinic set up - and confessed something that had been on her mind.

"Taithrosa, you are incredibly easy to talk too. I don't know what it is about you, but I trusted you almost the first instant I met you. Being a Konti, people always expect I know whats in other's hearts, but I do not. My gifts lie in the direction of animals and kelvics. People scare me mostly, since I don't know how to take them and looking at them is like looking into a mystery - you never know whats inside - the greatest treasure or a pit of snakes. But its different with you. I hope that in some way, in the future, we can work together. That there's some sort of purpose for why we met and the way I feel about you. I don't have many friends, but I would honestly love to call you one. There's not many people I trust. But after only sitting with you on the beach a few minutes and sewing, I do trust you." She said softly, sincerely. There was nothing really flirtatious about what she was saying either. He could tell immediately Kavala wasn't hitting on him or flirting. She was simply being sincere, telling him how she felt and that she wanted his friendship.

"Don't be sorry though. I'd much rather be here than dead. And I am grateful beyond belief that is so. I've found a home here and a better life more suited to me than the one I came from. That makes me happy. And I understand the Akalak problem... well not exactly the physical issues, but the nature of it. There are no females, but their blood is strong enough that every other species they impregnable has a pure Akalak child. The problem is, the babies are often large, strong, and hold all the Akalak traits. Human mothers have a horrible time of birthing them and often hemorrhage and die at birth. Not all of them, but by and large the vast majority. So they raid slavers caravans for females and give them a second chance. If they die producing an offspring, its better than dying on a Zith's dinner table or worked to death in a field somewhere. But the rate of death is high.. well over half. So they import unwanted female Kelvics who can hold a human shape but aren't human at all. These creatures tend to be tougher inherently and can accommodate a stronger more active Akalak fetus. Ravok breeds Kelvics like flies breed in manure, so they always have an abundance. But they don't want the rabbits and deer and delicate ones so the Akalak pick them up cheap. They make them pets and playthings for their sons. And when their sons are old enough, they use them to teach them about sex and then as breeders."
Kavala took a breath and knew what she was speaking of wasn't always common knowledge to outsiders. But Taithrosa was an Akalak, at least partially, and he should be told if he was curious.

"Then there are the Konti. We carry Akalak fetus' to term just fine. The only problem is our nature is the exact opposite of the Akalak. We don't have males so we breed with other races and then produce purebred Konti females. So an Akalak taking one of us as a mother to their sons aren't always guaranteed a son. It's about fifty fifty that we have either Konti or Akalak offspring. I'm not a sure bet on an offspring, though there's a high likelihood I won't have problems carrying to term or birthing such a child."
It was odd talking reproduction with Taith, but they were healers so it wasn't awkward, just odd.

"They are waiting, I think, to make sure I settle in and to see what my strengths and weaknesses are as a broodmare. They want to make sure I'm not crazy and that I would be a good mother, for all that if I produce an Akalak they probably will take the child from my arms the moment its born. And no one wants to sire a Konti daughter on an unstable mother who will raise her in such a manner. So they wait. I understand it. I suspected they'll give me a year, of which three quarters have already passed, before someone will present himself and claim my Nakivak rights. I'll say yes too. I owe the city my life. I'll probably say yes more than once, because they are dying, Taithrosa. Every year there's fewer of them. Each warrior someone kills out on the grass - be it a glassbeak or something far worse - there's almost no children to replace them with. There are little ones here, but you can see how closely guarded they are. And how awful, I think, that it is that you must secretly import another cities unwanted denizens in order to bond with them and make your needs their own so they will have your children?" She paused there, and watched him, waiting for his reaction.

Last edited by Kavala on June 4th, 2010, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on June 3rd, 2010, 2:13 am

Taithrosa smiled at her offer of friendship. He didn't mistake it as an offer of romances. He personally wasn't interested in her that way either and was glade to see that they were in agreement on that. "I too fel a comfort around you. We have only talked a couple times, but talking to you seems relaxing. I know that I can talk to you and you will except my oddities."

He listened to the story she told his eyes emotionless through most of it. Finally the sadness came through. His eyes at this time truely seemed at there deepest as if he was looking through a thousand life times. Finally his eyes looked up pain in them.

"It is a sad state, for everyone involved." He said his accent coming out stronger. "I morn the state of things, but I do applade you and your efforts." He gave a sad smile. "I remember my past time among the akalak. They had a might culture and city. To be on the verge of extinction. It is sad that they have become so desperate." He felt something in his mind. "There must be a way to fix this problem. If only I could remember more about my healing training from my past life." He shook his head sadely. "So how much staff do you have here at the Sanctuary?"
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on June 4th, 2010, 9:46 pm

ImageKavala looked thoughtful and nodded. "Do you remember any differences between then and now? I mean other than there was a lot more people? I have heard whispered rumors that almost ninty percent of the Akalak perished in the Valterrian due to where their city was located. I'd often wondered how they thrived before and are so close to extinction now." Kavala said gently, curious. He'd answer in his own time and in his own way. She knew his memory was faulty and not exactly the best on the best days.

Kavala smiled. "I employ a groom, a cook, and another trainer thats also a falconer. So only three people. As the clinic gets bigger though, we'll need another healer. And I'll need to find a new cook soon. The one I tried to hire hasn't been showing up to work." She added, looking thoughtful. "Someday we'll be even bigger. I want to expand out the gardens, add some goats, and be more self sufficient. I'd eventually even like to plant our own hay fields. Land is hard to get here though. Riverfall is an odd place, especially for a female." Kavala said thoughtfully. It was true. Since her skin wasn't blue, there wasn't much here she could own.

lem
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next