Closed Parley of Tyrants (Nira/Eri/Ball)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Parley of Tyrants (Nira/Eri/Ball)

Postby Imass on October 17th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Ser Imass watched silently as Lord Eridanus performed all the proper courtesies as fit for men of their rank. Although the courtesies were important, the Knight already knew that Eridanus was credible and honorable. The Akalak listened intently, but the Son of Leth got everything wrong. He didn't understand what it meant to be a Knight truly. Eri was an Ethereal and not bound by the rules of mortals, but Nira'lia and Imass were! The Knight was bound by a code he needed to follow and all Eridanus did was make it more difficult. At each and every challenge the Eth presented, Imass' mind flayed and cringed. His two personalities clashed to take over. Each personality fought for willpower over the Knight; however the dark side remained dominant for the time being. Regardless, Imass' light side still had weight on the decision though as his life was the only life the dark side knew.

"There is no honor to be gained in cutting down a Konti; however this is about duty not honor. I parley with you in honor, but this command is an oath ..." Imass lifted his own gray camp shirt to reveal his glowing mark of Sylir on his solarplex, "... an oath I gave Sylir. I must perform my Duty with Honor, regardless of the consequences," fervor, passion, and a slight tinge of anger burned in his eyes as he stared at Eridanus. Imass was slightly annoyed that his comrade did not understand him. He wished that he wouldn't need to spell it out like this for him.

Keeping his shirt up and pointed at his mark. His voice teeming with emotion, "You think I want to kill Nira'lia? Of course not! You think I have passed judgment on her? No my god has! I believe in Yahal, but I don't have his mark --nay-- I can't sit down and ask him what is right or wrong! Not even Sylir answers me!!!" Imass wanted to cry now, "I am marked by him, but I do not know why he does not talk to me even now! All I have is my Oaths Eridanus. All I have is Faith! I must trust that Sylir's Oath is correct! I am a Knight Eridanus, do you understand that?" He took a deep breath, still staring at Eridanus.

"Duty dictates that she be squired, swear fealty, or die. Honor dictates I must parley with you," He dropped his shirt finally and raised his hand clasping together as a sign of good will. Imass repeated, "All I have is the faith that my oath is correct. It would be folly to think killing her was the right path. The only way that makes sense is if she joins the Knights. Lord Eridanus, you say that you cannot be separated by her, then that means you must join too."

Imass pleaded, "That is why I said that you have been called to join us. That is why I said you where meant to join us -- if not it seems the outcome of my Duty is to kill Nira'lia -- You must have faith. Yahal and Sylir are aligned. You must have courage to take that leap! You are marked by Yahal!"
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on October 18th, 2012, 2:07 am

Eridanus sighed inwardly. It seemed that he still had a lot to learn about the Knights and their ideals. He was too used to dealing with logical and rational people, and the ideal of Honor, Chivalry and Duty that the Knights emphasized so much were still beyond his understanding. That made negotiation harder for him since he did not know the big picture. Whatever the case, the only thing he could do was to try to appeal to what he thought Imass's values were, and to try to estimate what he thought were important to the Knights.

"I do not fully understand the Knightly Culture," The scholar admitted readily. "So perhaps my words were phrased incorrectly. However, I find it hard to believe that Sylir would demand fealty or death to someone in Nira'lia's circumstances. From what I know, he is the God of Civilization and Peace. If he is aligned to Yahal and Tyveth, would this act not run contrary to the ideals of his allies? Yahal would only slay corruption and evil, while not lording over the rest in tyranny. Tyveth, from what little I learned from you, champions Truth and Justice. While you claim your Duty is so, I cannot believe that Sylir would readily agree to such Injustice."

Raising his voice to a more passionate tone, he continued, "Reconsider this, Ser Imass. Perhaps what Sylir demanded is not such a uncompromising position, but instead of his wish to preserve the secret. In order to do so, there are more ways besides what you outlined! If Nira'lia preserves the secret, would that not be Sylir's will fulfilled?"

Lowering his eyes briefly to consider the divine mark from Yahal, the vantha added softly, "Do you know one thing about Yahal? He always wants the right and just thing to be done, even if the easy way out is to compromise someone. Do you understand, Ser Imass? Yahal would want to save the pure, the faithful and the innocent, but robbing them of their freedom of choice would run completely contrary to that. Surely then, you must agree that it is in everyone's best interest to think out of the box and to conceive a solution palatable for everyone?"
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Imass on October 24th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Ser Imass stood silently as he listened to Lord Eridanus' every word. The Son of Leth's message pained the Akalak greatly. For some reason the honorable scholar could not understand the simplest of ideas that Imass presented. He questioned the Knight's words in what seemed an attempt to get Imass to admit that his own ways where false. Above all, Eridanus tried to act as if he knew what the Knights were all about. He tried to claim that Sylir would not charge him with such an oath. He claimed that this path was the opposite of what Yahal wanted. He even called what Imass was doing injustice. All of these words pierced Imass like a silent dagger to the chest.

The Knight's mind went reeling into anger now. His grim face lit up with burning fervor and conviction. The Akalak questioned everything that Lord Eridanus said, he even questioned his friendship. He did not believe that Eridanus would openly call him out on his beliefs. Imass was a follower of Tyveth and no liar. Why couldn't Lord Eri understand all of this? Why couldn't he see that this was Imass' most sacred oath charged to him by the Windoak?

No. That is when it hit the Zealot smack dab in the head: Eridanus could not understand what it meant to be a Knight. Never would he have true solidarity with Imass. He was the leader of a magician's guild, not a warrior. He was a "non". Unless he joined the Knights, Imass' words would be fruitless.

Regardless, Ser Imass repeated himself one final time, "I must perform my Duty with Honor, despite the consequences. Duty dictates that those who find out the secret of the Windoak must join, become an advisor, or die. Honor dictates I parley with you."

The Knight took a deep breath, "I will not sit here and listen to you argue about the will of gods. You are marked by Yahal, yet you know nothing about true faith... What is Truth, Lord Eridanus? If you don't believe it, then it is a lie. You must have Faith to have Truth. I have said this Oath and I have no intentions of breaking it; I have faith that the oath I took is the right thing to do. These are all facts and you cannot change my mind on these points."

"Thus, the path is clear for you two in my mind. It is so obvious and simple of a solution it is flying over your complex head. Here are my proposed terms of solution: Both you and your lady join the Syliran Knights as advisors of magic and healing. Serve out your life callings alongside me and the Knights. What terms do you present?"

Imass was done discussing. He was here to parley and make decisions, not speculate.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on October 25th, 2012, 1:58 am

He does not understand, nor is he willing to listen.

It seemed that the zealot was quite unwilling to see any other terms besides his own. That was one of the worse case scenarios that Eridanus had envisioned, but it was happening right now. Yet, perhaps he should not have been so quick to reject everything.

Always keep one's option open, and know as much things as possible.

To be fair to Imass, Eridanus had currently been acting so far on general assumption. The akalak was correct in one aspect: He was not a Knight, and therefore no matter how much he tried to assume or infer he could not possibly understand their culture and their values. Yet, he was unwilling to make a concession when he was unsure of the extent.

Now might be a good time to clarify.

'You mentioned the solution of being advisors, Ser Imass. Before we continue any further, can I know everything there is to know about such a position? The job scope, the responsibilities, the extent of freedom allowable, things I can and cannot do, what things am I bound to and what am I not? Are all my rights reserved, or some, or none? Before we parley any further, I must properly know the full extent of what you're proposing."

"You believe that I do not know about the Knights, I can see it in your eyes. Now is your chance to correct this; kindly educate me."
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on October 30th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Ser Imass finally got somewhere with Lord Eridanus. Instead of arguing, the Eth attempted to ask questions to further clarify the situation. Perhaps now the practical sides of things were beginning to be clarified. Ser Imass knew Eridanus would never understand what it meant to be a Knight (unless he joined himself), however he had faith Eridanus was acting in good honor. Although Imass' anger subsided a little, but he couldn't help feeling mad at the fact Lord Eridanus could not understand. Perhaps, Imass wasn't questioning their friendship, but rather he was just frustrated. So many emotions where going through him at the moment he didn't know what to feel.

"I will not sit here and pretend I can fully disclose you with that information; the simple fact is that I do not know. Truthfully, as an advisor Nira would still become a squire, but she wouldn't have to train in martial arts --She could if she wanted," Imass added thoughtfully, "I have no doubt that you, Eridanus, would be Knighted upon returning to Syliras. As with Nira'lia, your duties would be different from the common knight. To the best of my knowledge, all I can say is that you would probably have similar responsibilities as you do in our quest now."

Imass took a deep breath and continued ever so grim, "The Knights have always acted in honor and justice, you know this. We do not take personal freedom away from our own, but you will still be bound by duty. No one will imprison you in the city. Knightly vocations call for men to traverse the world. In the end though, you must take an oath to protect our secrets and take actions with the betterment of our city - and our creed- in your mind. Same goes for Nira," He looked at Nira'lia now, "I do not want to take away your life calling konti. Do you understand what I am saying?"

Hopefully Imass could actually communicate to Eridanus without problems. He prayed that Eridanus would accept. He prayed Nira'lia would accept. He prayed this parley wouldn't turn into conflict, but rather a deeper friendship. Either way though, something was happening in Imass' tumultuous head. Which personality would win?
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on October 31st, 2012, 12:51 pm

Eridanus frowned in concentration as he absorbed the knight's words, analyzing each words as deeply as he could. While the deal seemed tempting at first, he realized that there were too many unknowns for him to dive into it. The words "duty" repelled him more than it should, especially the idea of a duty to ideals that he may not care about, and to people whom he may have no loyalty to. It was dangerous, and it was frustrating.

Of course, the akalak reassured him of his ability to keep his freedom, but he could sense a hidden "but" somewhere. That was the problem; imperfect information. He could not potentially sign away his or Nira'lia's future based on incomplete premises and assumptions.

More importantly, the very idea of a strict military heirarchy like the Knight's repelled him. He refused to allow himself to be beholden to mere mortals. He was the leader of the potentially powerful Mage's Guild in Alvadas! He was an agent of the top secret Department of Illusions in Alvadas, answerable only to the Azure Triad themselves. He was a son of God, and a celestial being - even if fallen - from the Heavens themselves. There was no reason why he should pledge his body and soul to mere mortals who have less experience, less wisdom, less intelligence, and less abilities to him, with the only thing they had more was in terms of loyalty, duration of servitude and those damnable Knightly Ideals and Virtues. The very thought of it sickened him.

"Your proposition seems reasonable, Ser Imass," Eridanus began carefully, weighting each word clearly and slowly as he pondered his phrasing. "However, you must understand that this is a big, life-changing matter for both me and Nira'lia. You have admitted it yourself; you do not know the full responsibilities such a job entails. This, together with the huge impact it can have on our lives, makes it impossible for me to properly consider this."

Raising a finger, he threw in the exception that hopefully the knight would take, "Unless, we have this full information on our responsibilities and duties. Perhaps there is a way somehow to contact those who have full authority and understanding of this issue to mediate and inform. If not, I am regretful that I cannot accept your suggestion - no matter how honorable the intentions."

In doing so, Eridanus was not rejecting the knight outright. He was giving the exception, and a reasonable one at that. One that would put the Knight at moral risk if he refused, for it placed the impetus on Imass to fulfill this suggestion if he hoped to have his way, without suffering from the moral hazard that was now placed in his court.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on November 3rd, 2012, 3:22 pm

Ser Imass listened to Lord Eridanus with righteous intent. He could feel Eridanus' eyes sit and think about the choice ahead. He was carefully taking into consideration what Imass said. Whether the Eth realized it or not, he was honorable in nature; Imass had fought alongside him in battle and sparred with him. The Akalak thought he had a good grasp of Eridanus' character, however there was one side of the Eth, Imass couldn't control: magic. The magic that coarsed through his very veins was unpredictable in the Warrior's mind. He did not know how to judge that, so he stuck to his gut feeling.

Perhaps it was the magic that was making Imass aggravated. Perhaps it was Eridanus' magic that prevented him from understanding the Warrior's way. Imass wanted to believe deep down inside that Eridanus was a honorable knight in heart, but many of his words spoke otherwise. Thus the Akalak found himself in a dilemma between Nira'lia, Eridanus, and his dark side. Fear and aggression filled his conscience; fear for Nira'lia and aggression towards everyone.

Ser Imass would not give up though, he would make another appeal to Eridanus in attempt to sway him. This time he would let his heart's soul speak. The Knight looked the Eth in the eye and drew his sword not to attack. The facial expression and mannerisms he used would be easily spotted by Eridanus if the Eth was paying close attention to the Akalak. In Imass' mind any longsword master would know for certain his intention's where not to use the blade, but rather to use it to make a rhetorical point.

"This is what I say Lord Eridanus," the Knight responded in a loud, clear voice. His face was serious and grim as ever yet, but his eyes shone like a smoldering golden fire. He looked Eridanus in the eyes and said his words with great conviction, "I am a Syliran K ight!"

"I will believe when others have doubted me. I acknowledge that all my opponents expect me to lose. I acknowledge that people show me disrespect despite how hard I work for them. Despite all this I will never surrender! Defeat will not be in my creed! Weakness will never enter my heart!"

Imass continued from the core of his heart explaining to Eridanus what it meant, "I will look at those who brought me into this world and I will look at my comrades in battle. From them I will draw my strength."

The Knight looked at Nira for a minute now too, "If the defenseless are under attack, I will gladly ride out to meet their assailants. I will do everything I my power to arrive on the battlefield violently and slay our enemies with honor and chivalry. I am here to protect the weak."

"I accept that fact my comrades expect me to fight harder, be faster, stronger, and be smarter than my opponent. I will never give up if my comrade needs me! I will keep myself mentally awake, physically strong, and morally straight so that my comrades can always trust in me! I will never do anything, but the very best of my ability for my comrades!" Imass was beaming with emotion.

"I will rise when I have fallen. I will fight the darkness that consumes the light! I will always look to the sunrise! I will not falter! I will not fail myself! I will fight for hope, justice, and the safety of the common man! I will be loyal to my comrades forever. I will uphold my duty for life, no matter how difficult the struggle!"

"My opponent may not fear me, but he will respect me! And if he does not, I will make him respect me with all that I have to give! None will say that I haven't given all I got to give and none will take my glory and honor! History will remember me! No one will deny me! No one will defy me! No one can tell me who or what I am or what I cannot overcome!" Imass finally finished his description of what it meant to be Knight and joining the knighthood.

The Knighg outstretched he gaunteleted hand to Eridanus, hoping the Eth accepted, "this is what it means to be a knight. It means fighting for honor and chivalry. Defending the poor and always being faithful to your comrades. Nay, Eridanus being a knight is not easy, but it is your Duty to join and help Nira through the trials ahead,"

Imass looked at Eridanus, "It would be an honor to be your comrade Eridanus. It would be a privilege. You know we won't take your freedom or your other duties, but I ask you, nay, pled to you to take up our duties too. Join the knights!"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Nira'lia on November 5th, 2012, 5:12 pm

This was becoming too much for the simple-minded Konti. Both of them had made their points, but to her, it seemed like the discussion was leading nowhere. Imass was much too blinded by his faith, and this was something the Konti could both respect and understand. However, she simply did not care enough about the Akalak’s Gods to base a huge part of her future on his demands. She had her own Gods, and her own priorities.

Nira’lia was very much grateful for what Eridanus was doing, and she could not tell if it was because of bias, but she thought he was making much more sense than the Akalak Knight. That didn’t make a difference, though. Imass was not going to give up on the matter, and it didn’t seem fair that she had involved Eridanus this far. When she thought about it, the Knight’s request did not make it seem like her freedom was being entirely taken away from her. It could have been a misunderstanding, although the fact that he had treated her like a criminal and had went as far as making Ball fetch rope did not help in her indifference.

“This is ridiculous…” she whispered under her breath. At such volume, only Eridanus would be able to hear her, and that was her purpose. Eridanus was one of the few people she could be transparent towards, and she wanted him to know how foolish she thought this all was. Finally, she spoke up, addressing the Knight directly. “Ser Imass, I concede!”

‘For now.’

“I promise you I won’t run. And you have to understand, it was not my intention to find out about your secret. What I see is not my decision, nor was it your decision to have such a memory for me to see.”

‘If anything, we’re both at fault here.’

Her voice was still shaky, but it was also unyielding in its own way. She gave him a weak smile. “However, Ser Imass, I truly cannot believe that anyone other than Avalis gifted me with these visions. I do not mind serving under the Knights for the time being. If that is what Sylir wills, then so be it. However, I want to speak to Avalis. I wish to travel to Mura after this quest, if you will allow me to. From her I will know exactly why I saw what I saw. And if she tells me it is because Sylir needs me, you have my word. I will serve under the Knights as long as needed, even if it is for the rest of my life. Would the Knights allow me that little request, to first let me travel back to my homeland and speak with my Goddess?”

OOCJust as a note, I asked Chev about this and he said that the answer is… dundundun, she may do so, IF she has the trust of the Knights (in this case, Imass’s trust).
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Words: 386960
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2011, 9:17 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2

Postby Eridanus on November 8th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Eridanus watched the knight's rhetoric with disinterest. He tried his best to listen, to follow the akalak's logic. It was the least he could do for a friend. Yet, he found that he remained unconvinced. Emotional pandering only affected him if he had an emotional stake or investment in a subject matter. However, he could not find it in himself to subject his destiny over to the Knights. There was no special moment, no spark of inspiration that struck him unlike that magical moment in Alvadas when Ionu graced the formation of his guild. In other words, it did not simply feel right. He was only answerable to himself, to his gods, and to the local community and laws that he inhabited at any moment. Therein lay the similarity in all - they were all choices. Choices that he made, choices that he initiated. This seemed like a forced recruitment more than anything, and even should he acquiesce it was not his choice, not something that he would proactively and voluntarily agree to.

However, before he said anything Nira felt that it was time to remain silent no longer, giving words that surprised Eridanus. Yet, the beauty of her acquiescence was wonderfully crafted, and marvelously considered. He could not fault her reply, and though it may seem as a matter of conceding at first sight, it was more of a deceptive agreement veiled in exceptions. Of course, it made rational sense for his friend was quite devoted to Avalis. Eridanus understood the importance of calls and of the seer race's service to the goddess of divination, and so he did not object to actions made in such a vein. However, he would object to power asserted upon his companion by mortal men, mortal whims, and mortal laws. There was no other except Avalis and Fate that could, and should, dictate her actions.

"Your solution lay before you, Ser Imass. I apologize but I cannot take up your offer; that is a final decision after much thought on my part. However, I find Nira's solution a reasonable one. I only hope that you believe the same." The scholar broke the silence that followed after the healer's speech as the parties involved processed her words. His words grave, his countenance somber, he only hoped that this parley could be resolved peacefully and amicably, and they could all resume to their less tension-filled lives. Relatively speaking of course, in light of the incoming obstacle that was Sahova.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on November 23rd, 2012, 11:58 pm

Ser Imass stood tall and held his grudging annoyance inside as Nira'lia suddenly stepped forward and spoke. The Knight was directing all his words towards Lord Eridanus and he detested being interrupted. He had given his heart out to these people. He was pouring his soul into his words and was telling them the truth as he so believed himself. The Knight could not understand why these people wouldn't agree with him. It was making his so sick he wanted to both vomit and slap the petch out of Nira'lia at the same time. Honor and duty held him back though. No matter what, he would not break his oath and his moral standards.

They do not understand me. They never will. I am a Knight, not some peasant fool!

Looking into Nira'lia's eyes he saw his crush, Naeya, once more. Painful throbs shot through his eyes and it made him swelter. Emotions ran through his body as the Konti conceded before him. Ser Imass wandered why she was even talking in the first place. Red started to fill his vision; he clenched his fist. Why was she interrupting Lord Eridanus? Ser Imass was speaking to the Ethereal and has asked him an important question, only to be answered by his girl friend. This got him riled up even more. Despite all this he swallowed his pride and said nothing. Patience he told himself nervously.

Lord Eridanus stepped forward without reprisal and completely rejected Ser Imass' words. His tone of voice broke the silence like nails across a chalk board. Ser Imass realized that his words were sincere and honorable, but the same anger spoke through his voice.

Ser Imass stared down Lord Eridanus with a silent graze. He stared into the Son of Leth's changing pupils and saw his eye color screamed some type of emotional anguish. The Knight quickly shifted his gaze to Nira'lia for a moment, then he looked at Ball through the corner of his eyes. Suddenly Syna's light blinked on in his head. Tyveth had inspired the answer for him.

"Verily, I accept these terms Lady Nira'lia," Imass said grimly, "Justice dictates that you are recompensed and shown courtesy for your good faith and all the help you have been on the quest. We will go to Mura after the quest if Dira doesn't take us on the bloody shores of the city. I require you to say an oath though. Promise to us that you will not only follow me and the Knights through Sahova, but also to Mura. You are bound to us until we stand before the gods themselves. Swear woman!"

After Nira'lia made her oath to secrecy and cooperation Ser Imass brandished his broadsword once again. The Knight was on the brink and he needed to converse with Eridanus without any of the formal bullshit. He wanted to have a one on one conversation with the Son of Leth in privacy. He looked at Ball, then back at Nira, then finally he stared at Eridanus again, "That being said though... leave us be Nira'lia and Ball. I require to talk to Eridanus in private."

Ser Imass raised his broadsword with both hands over his head, pointing the weapon at the sky. He stared the Ethereal in the eyes.

"DRAW YOUR SWORD ERIDANUS!"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes