By the light of the campfire (Nira and Eri)

Evalin speaks with Nira'lia and Eridanus for the first time

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Evalin on October 15th, 2012, 11:49 pm

3rd of Fall, 512 AV
Just after sunset

Just as the light of Syna's rays faded and the shadows of the night began to fill the world, Evalin stirred from her resting place beneath one of the many towering canopies that existed in this part of the wilds. How long had it been since they had begun to travel? How long had they all been trudging through the dirt grime of the wilderness? In honesty Evalin could not say, for what little it mattered to her how long this expedition took.

Standing slowly with the aid of her staff, Evalin squinted up at the last fading rays of sunlight, "Curses marker of time, you be little more than a hinderance to those who dwell within the shadows of the world..." Shaking her head slowly Evalin moved from the cover of the trees, moving between the flickering lights of campfires as they were lit by one party and the next. Mumbling softly to herself, the immortal in a child's body mused quietly, It has become a ritual of sorts... Every evening upon the final rays of light the mortals create false suns in an attempt to stay their fears of the unknown. Evalin paused to watch as a group of nights shared a laugh and shoved playfully before sitting down for the meal, What fools. They know not that the truth. Light does not deter the darkness, it creates it...

Resuming her walk Evalin continued to muse quietly to herself, absently touching her necklace, that chilled gem that was in fact her familiar Tsenrika. She whispered soft words to the creature, stroking a finger over its surface as if it were the most precious thing imaginable, Awaken my dear Tsenrika. The gem sparkled with an unusual light for a moment, and then its surface seemed to melt, falling into the girl's palm and forming into a small, perfectly round sphere as smooth as the finest silk. The world about the girl was reflected in this familiar's form, and she could even see her own red eyes gazing back at her.

Smiling softly Evalin raised the familiar closer to her eyes, There you are my dear Tsenrika. Travel you now with me? I grow weary of the company of fools and brutes.

The Familiar bobbed slowly in her palm before floating to rest just above her shoulder, If that be your command...

Though his tone was not warm or welcoming, Evalin knew she would get no better from the creature, and instead continued on with her thoughts as she walked through the lines of campfires, From morning till dusk do we travel, and yet even so we make no progress at all. Evalin watched as a man and a woman talked in the shadows of a tree, written upon their face the thrums of desires and passionate longings, These mortals are little more than children, concerned not in what is to be done but rather in what is to occur now. Such wasted time and efforts here, for even now they think not of anything but their desires.

Be that ever so, yet for such as them there is little else but the wants and desires of now...

Evalin paused to ponder this, If what you say is true then these be more pitiable creatures than I thought.

The chilled mind of Tsenrika pressed against Evalin's once more, whispering softly, Be it they who should be pitied? For them each moment is a gift for the next day is never certain. For these creatures each pleasure is a joy for desires can always be satisfied. Truly... Is it those who live by the second or those who live not by any time at all that should be pitied?

Raising her eyebrow the girl looked at the floating orb. It was true that she could never guess what the familiar was truly thinking, and yet... Yet she always felt that what he spoke was true, though she rarely wished to agree with him. With a sigh the girl continued walking, Be damned you Tsenrika, for only you speak with any sense in this parade of infants.

For a time the immortal simple walked the varied groups that dwelled around the flickering flames of fire light. Evalin had almost contented herself to spending another night in silence when suddenly she saw a face which was of interest to her. A woman, a beauty... a creature of such grace that Evalin felt ache of want well up within the back of her mind. It was the Konti Healer, Nira'lia was it? The woman stood beside a fire herself, though she was not alone either. Another stood beside her, another creature whose beauty outshone even the stars themselves. They were a picture of unearthly purity, two figures that seemed as if they had been taken from the realm of gods to plucked down into the dirt of humanity. Oh how they seemed so... out of place here on this mortal realm.

Never had Evalin spoken to either, yet within her mind the immortal was already working upon what she knew of them both. The girl, the Konti Nira'lia would be searching for a cure for the plague no doubt, just as The man cloaked in darkness searched for it as well. Her companion though... Evalin squinted her eyes to look at him more closely, Be this the man whom spoke to Rayage so familiarly? Do they know of each other? Evalin thought back to the night by the fire when the foolish knight had chosen to divide the group, yet she could pull nothing of true value from that night to be used in this instance.

What think you... Of these two before us now? Evalin asked as she leaned against her staff, well from sight of the conversing duo. The Familiar took a chime to answer, speaking slowly, as if weighing his words carefully, From one you seek the rivers red, the other to cut the twisted thread. From them both you hope to gain, yet from either your end could be claimed... Twisting her hand about the staff Evalin whispered, "You speak too often in riddles. Speak you plainly this once."

Evalin could almost hear the familiar sigh before he spoke, There is danger in approaching, yet you may gain all the same. Mind your steps for neither is a fool like the others...

With a chuckle Evalin touched Tsenrika's surface, "There now, that was not so difficult."

A moment longer was spent by the Immortal as she pondered her actions, but then the time came when she finally moved to stand just outside the light of the fires. She would remain there, silent to allow the two to speak a bit longer, waiting for the moment when she could interject herself. When that time came Evalin would speak softly, stepping closer to the fire yet still the shadows would cling to her hooded features, "A good evening to you both. Certainly the pleasure is mine to meet the esteemed Ser Eridanus and Lady Nira'lia." Moving her body into a well practiced curtsey, Evalin would offer both a small smile, "Might I join you this evening? I find my bones have grown quite cold in the child night air."

OOCTsenrika is still bobbing over her shoulder :)

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nira'lia on October 21st, 2012, 10:17 am

It felt good to rest after a whole day of travelling. The fire blazed before them, and to Nira’lia, it was a welcome sight. She had a piece of jerky in her hand that she stripped to smaller pieces, which she then popped into her mouth every now and then.

“The people here are so different from one another…” she muttered to Eridanus in between bites. With an observant eye, she watched everyone else move about the plagued camp. The group was a mixture of types of people she had never had the chance of encountering before.

At the corner of her eye, she saw the Akalak Knight. Nira’lia blinked as she recalled what she had seen through his eyes a few days back. The Akalak had been speaking to a tree, the same tree that had sent them on this journey. When she had time, she would ask him about it.

Thinking about her gift, she also remembered the few other troubling sights she had seen that night. There had been the strangely multiple visions she had seen from Wrenmae, and then there was also that one from the bizarre little girl—Nira’lia didn’t know her name.

‘I wonder how Nuits are made? Was that the process I saw?’ At the thought of race’s name, she felt herself shudder. She realized that she didn’t really know anything about Nuits, but that they scared her nonetheless.

The voice that called out to them was soft and passive, but Nira’lia was startled anyway. Confused, she looked up to the girl she just been thinking about. An orb bobbed on her shoulder, causing Nira’lia to remain speechless for a while. What was Zan doing here? On closer look, Nira’lia realized that this wasn’t Zan at all. This orb seemed to be made of ice, and Zan would have mouthed off by now. Perhaps it was an accessory?

Shaking herself out of her reverie, the Konti forced an uneasy smile and gestured around them, welcoming the girl to sit with them.
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Words: 386960
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2011, 9:17 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on October 29th, 2012, 2:55 pm

"They truly are," Eridanus replied easily to Nira's observation. "We are quite a varied bunch, which spells good news."

That came in the form of cross-discipline expertise as well as varied perspectives that meant its figurative weight in gold when strategically planning. However, that also meant a whole plethora of issues that could only be solved by proper team-bonding and a leader charismatic yet neutral enough to pull the opposing diaspora of people together.

A voice piped up, and he found himself being greeted by that small girl who was by Nira's side earlier, and who seemed to be with Rayage's group. Her mannerism and words were a contradiction to her physical features and body, and the bobbing... object beside her served to further this paradox.

Then again, if a kid like Miro could attain such great power, then it is not impossible for this child to gain the same.

Yet, unlike Miro her maturity weighed her words down heavily, and it was difficult to ignore her carefully measured tone that spoke of suspicious years of experience. It was almost like talking to Rayage.

Could it be...?

As she approached them, he sought to pull from the well of djed within him, tentatively bathing his optical senses with the life essence that formed his astral body. Gradually, the limitations of the mortal world that obstructed his true Right to Sight faded, and he glanced at the small girl. Without wanting to, the strong, sweet smell of putrid decay struck his nose, causing him to flinch unexpectedly.

Further curious studies into the body of her aura revealed several brilliant pulses that could only suggest multiple proficiencies with magic. Interestingly, a blue chain could be seen from the part of her aura corresponding to her heart to the floating blob. It was quite a curious sight indeed.

"Where's my manners," The scholar chuckled, ruffling his hair unconsciously with a hand as he blinked and diverted his eyes momentarily to break the use of Auristics. The information gained was enough for the time being; that she was an experienced mage, a nuit like Rayage judging from the similarly putrid smell of her aura, and that she was inexplicable linked to that... floating construct.

"Feel free to make yourself at home - I'm afraid that I did not quite catch your name. A cloak might suffice to ward away the natural chills of the environment, though you hardly need it, don't you?" The last part was a subtle recognition of his part on her nature, and it also signified his ability to draw and infer knowledge.

Play no games, hide no information, the hidden meaning of his behavior and words say, though only one well-versed in social politics would be able to understand the true meaning of his words.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Evalin on October 29th, 2012, 3:24 pm

A wise one be this. Observed Tsenrika.

Or perhaps one too well versed in the ways of our kind. Though matter it not for nothing has changed. Evalin offered Eridanus a meaningful nod, a singular acknowledgement of his deductive abilities, with obvious hints that nothing else would be offered as commemoration.

"Yes so the cloak might warm the flesh and bones if one were to be struck by the chill of the north, yet it is not such a chill of which I speak. Think you rather that I ponder on the cold that comes from solitude too long spent in the shadows of this world." A hidden clue, a vague inclining to this strange girl's character, and yet it might very well be nothing more than her speaking her loneliness in her days travel with the camp, "I graciously thank you for your hospitality in this matter, and I would wish to offer you something in return for your kindness."

With that the immortal would walk closer into the light of the fire, her features now in full view for both to inspect. Long black hair reached just passed the middle of her back. Her clothing was of a dark shade of purple, fitted for a child with a small skirt and shift to match. Her cloak was overly large for her form, and the staff in hand was beautiful and ornately crafted, seemingly from a time when form was as important as function. Strange symbols and glyphs alighted the staffs surface, and any who knew of the Witch Evalin knew that she never went anywhere without it.

Sighing softly to herself, a habit she had grown accustomed to not for her own benefit but for the comfort of the living, Evalin looked up at the two that stood near her. The girl's eyes shown crimson in the light of the fire, and her gaze would flicker over Nira'lia briefly before locking onto Eridanus once more, "It is not oft that my names is requested by one such as yourself, oh son of the night, and for your great kindness I offer you it freely. I am known as Evalin by some, and something different entirely by others. Surely the pleasure is all mine." A small smile lit her lips once more as her eyes raked up and down the man before her, red points shimmering slightly as pondered, My... what a wonderous vessel he might make. Curious though, I know not of any who have taken one of his kind as their own.

She would fall silent for a moment, before turning to look at Nira'lia, Eridanus forgotten for the moment, "My dear child, I had wished to congratulate you on your performance the other night. Truly you have earned my respect for your courage in the face of this epidemic." Evalin's hand absently played with a strand of black hair as her eyes gazed intently at Nira'lia, a strange expression crossing her features for just a moment before it was wiped away and the girl continued to speak, "Yes... Very brave indeed. Tell me, how comes your search for a cure?"

Absently Evalin wondered of Rayage's successes as well. Had he accomplished his task of weaponizing the plague yet? In truth Evalin cared little for either the Man's or Nira's success in this matter. After all, Evalin stood to gain in either circumstance.

Tsenrika would float from Evalin's shoulder, moving to revolve around Nira'lia, her form reflected clearly in the Familiar's reflective surface.

OOCGot sudden inspiration for this and wrote it in like 10 min :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nira'lia on October 31st, 2012, 5:43 pm

Eridanus appeared to be aware that she was a Nuit, and he made no indication to hide the fact that he knew. While Nira’lia wondered how he found out about it, she didn’t bother delving further on the thought. She had seen him recognize Nuits before. How he did it, she never asked, though she assumed it was a mage’s trick.

The girl spoke in riddles. At first, Nira’lia patiently listened. Her childish mind found the complicated phrases much too troublesome, but she said nothing about it. Instead, she remained unfocused to the conversation. As the girl and Eridanus spoke, Nira’lia found herself absently staring into the distance. Some part of her still listened in to the conversation, and she was at least able to pick up the odd girl’s name. Evalin.

Her attention was caught fully when she realized that she was being addressed to. Blinking, she looked back at the Nuit. She had been asked about the plague, a topic that everyone didn’t want to stop talking about. But who could blame them? The entire camp had been isolated because of the so-called plague. The least that they could do was to attempt to get some answers. Unfortunately for them, nobody could get any.

‘And why is she here? Nuits don’t get plagues… do they?’

“I don’t know, I’m sorry. Along with the other healers, we can’t figure out the root of this plague. It’s a very strange occurrence…” she replied uncomfortably. Nira’lia was used to being asked about the plague since everyone was curious about it, but speaking about the ominous situation was still upsetting. “If it makes you feel any better, Evalin, it doesn’t seem to be getting worse. For some reason, it hasn’t amplified to death. That is a good sign, is it not?”

At that, she stopped speaking and gave the Nuit a weak smile. There was nothing else she could tell her, though she’d try her best to answer any further questions.
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on November 1st, 2012, 4:55 pm

"The solitude of the one who outlives all others, that is the fate of ones untouched by time," Eridanus replied softly to the girl, his voice inflected with various emotions. He understood her words, for he had lived long enough and experienced long enough. In fact, one might even say that he experienced too much for the amount of time that he lived. With the addition of memories from his past lives, there were too many memories and experiences for an ordinary mortal soul.

"This disease is mysterious. I have taken to arcane study but have gone nowhere with it. My investigations into the magical nature of this plague yields disappointing results. This makes me believe that it is more of a mundane origin, which is not my area of expertise."

Glancing at Nira, he continued, "Still, we are attempting to seek a pragmatic solution in addressing its symptoms. We are testing the effects of various herbs found around here at the moment, though we have not discovered a decisive cure yet."

Allowing his eyes to settle on the child who now fully presented herself into the light, he hinted, "Perhaps one such as you might offer a differing opinion. If the solution does not lie in mundane regions, perhaps we can only extend our reach outwards."

Eridanus was a University of Zeltiva graduate. Having spent several years in the University, with Magecraft as his primary course throughout, he had gotten quite well-acquainted with the ins and outs of the magic department. That meant that he had also remembered reading about a certain Professor Evalin many years ago who was apparently some sort of Summoning genius.

Interestingly, he happened to occur on such a reference while reading an anecdote in an old magecrafting news journal. Though he could not recall the details for he had merely skimmed past it many years ago, he believed that it might have to do with some sort of magecraft.

Perhaps she may be the same, although Evalin may be a common name. Yet, she is immortal, and this possibility cannot be discounted.

Therefore, the hidden meaning of his seemingly innocent question was in reference to Summoning. Looking at her casually, though with an expectant heart, he watched for her response to see if she took the bait.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on November 2nd, 2012, 8:07 pm

Evalin smiled slowly at Nira, "Yes... it is good that death has not come of this just yet, but then the days are still young and more time will tell what will be." Evalin chuckled, looking up at Tsenrika as he floated to rest above her shoulder once more, "Would be a shame to lose such..." She glanced at Nira, "Fine people as we have in the camp."

Her eyes then turned to Eridanus, listening to him quietly as he spoke, leaning on her staff for support, He speaks well for a pulser.

Be it not the absence of life that brings wisdom, but the understanding that one knows little of anything at all fosters the greatest advancements in understanding.

Evalin nodded slowly, Be it ever so.

Returning her attention fully to Eridanus once more Evalin nodded to him, "Indeed I agree that the origins and outbreak of this plague are quite mysterious, yet even so I would have hoped you would have discovered something of use by this time?" She would pause, eyes searching Eridanus, showing that she caught his hidden meaning within his spoken words. A coy smile would break those grayed lips as she continued, "Alas Ser Eridanus, but I am but a humble creature with limited knowledge of the world. I fear that I can offer you very little in the way of insight into this matter."

That chill touched her mind as Tsenrika moved to float around her head, You conceal the truth from him? For what purpose?

Evalin's mind mentally shrugged at the question, and while she spoke within her mind her eyes did not leave Eridanus', For what reason would I share mine knowledge with one such as he? It matters little to me if he or even the rest of this encampment were to perish and waste away. Let them suffer, for my prize is something far more alluring. Her eyes fell on Nira' lia as well, and she nodded once to the Konti healer before continuing, "However, I do hear tale that the Professor has made many interesting break through in his project. From what mine ears have grasped he might soon be close to the source of this epidemic..."

Another falsehood? Lies trip from your lips like blood from a gaping wound... Tsenrika said as he moved to now encircle Eridanus, floating lazily to make a complete circuit of the man before returning to Evalin's shoulder.

Reaching up to touch his smooth surface Evalin replied, Not lies my dear Tsenrika. I simply state a truth that is soon to come about. Besides, Evalin shifted so that her staff was held in the other hand, Would it not be interesting if this information were to spur them to a new discovery?

It matter not to you...

Evalin chuckled inwardly, Be you ever so astute Tsenrika.

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nira'lia on November 3rd, 2012, 2:34 pm

There was something about the Nuit that made Nira’lia’s bones chill. For some reason, every time Evalin would look at her, Nira’lia felt utter unease. There was something about those knowledgeable but cold eyes that the Konti was not fond of. It was as if Evalin’s icy stare had a meaning behind, but that meaning was a mystery to Nira’lia.

“Professor?” repeated Nira’lia in a weak tone.

Someone was making breakthroughs about the strange plague that haunted the camp? When she said Professor, who was she referring to? Nira’lia scanned her memories and what she knew of Evalin, and she realized that the Nuit was most likely speaking about her companion. The hooded person she had been with during the night that the plague’s existence had been announced. Vaguely, she could the hooded person called by the title of Professor Rayage.

“What has the professor discovered? You have to tell us…!” she said, suddenly very interested in the conversation. The Konti had not seen the person in question for days now, although it was not an issue that she had been thinking about. The conversation during the announcement of the plague had turned heated, and she was not one to care about politics.

The Konti did not realize that she had forgotten her uneasiness towards Evalin. With curious and determined eyes, she stared right at the girl, urging her to speak further. If her companion had truly had breakthroughs about the strange sickness, then it was imperative that the valuable information be shared.

She remembered that Rayage had chosen to announce that he was going to create his own faction. He had not been pleased with the disagreement in the discussion, and Nira’lia had no idea that he had left the group entirely. The Konti just wanted to know about his discoveries. “I know the Professor prefers to tackle this matter on his own, but perhaps you could convince him to share his breakthroughs with us, Miss Evalin…? Or perhaps if you are knowledgeable about his breakthroughs, you may…?”
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on November 12th, 2012, 3:32 pm

"Is that so..." The moonchild mused as his eyes bore straight into the child. Perhaps it was an attribute of nuits, or perhaps it was a result of Evalin hanging around Rayage for too long, but Eridanus found himself seeing astute resemblance in their manner of speech. Particularly the long-winded, rambling part.

"If so, for what purpose do you reveal this to us?" He replied softly, cutting to the chase. Nira'lia was on the wrong scent, for there was a reason why Evalin would choose to reveal this piece of information to them. It was known knowledge that she belonged to Rayage's camp, and she knew that they knew her affiliations. Instead of saying anything else, she hinted at such a possibility, and so it was quite evident that she might be hinting at a trade. A trade for this information. That was precisely what the scholar hinted at, but without revealing the weakness of being the first person to initiate such a trade. Instead of an offer, his words were an invitation, and so it depended who chose to bite.

Placing his hand gently on Nira's, he silently stopped her from asking more questions, instead gesturing for her to calm down and to listen to what the child nuit had to say.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes