Let's Brainstorm Some New Monsters!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Zuriel on March 1st, 2013, 2:30 pm

A plant that produces a paralytic poison and is capable of flinging it in clusters of small darts at nearby animals.

In the early stages of its life the plant feeds like any other plant does but instead of growing up, it grows out. Setting up its "territory" by sending out roots in all directions, once the plant is ready these roots will flood the soil with a digestive secretion to kill other plants, trees and any bugs or small burrowers in the upper soil layer at the time.

The shrub feeds off the decomposing matter of the nearby corpses through its widespread roots which causes a marked spike in growth. Once this has happened the shrub has established a small "clearing" which will grow as the plant does. At this stage the plant is considered an adult and the central plant has developed a thick trunk riddled with large round holes. Within the plants clearing, its roots are sitting just beneath the surface and it uses them to sense prey moving on the land above. Upon sensing prey the shrub will pop extremely pressurised sacks of fluid in its trunk to fire clusters of poison darts out of the holes in its bark. The poison is not deadly but is heavily paralytic and aggressive, causing muscle spasms before complete locked in syndrome. this attempts to ensure the prey is inside or nearby the clearing when it falls, giving the plants slow moving roots enough time to wrap them up for digestion.

The plant is a patient hunter and will attempt to wait until its prey is as close as possible before attacking, it will also attack if it senses the prey moving out of its clearing (for instance when you notice it and are attempting to back away slowly).

The plant needs the increase of nutrients from prey in order to grow, but is perfectly capable of surviving in the ways normal plants do. This means it can sit indefinitely without prey and be alive and well, but simply will not grow.

The plant can be identified by a clearing of any size devoid of trees or small plants save for a single short, stocky tree in the center. The tree itself resembles a single extremely short and ridiculously thick bamboo shoot, with large sections and a large hole in every section, it holds small branches which carry leaves much like bamboo. The clearing may appear to be covered in grass but this is merely the roots sending up leaves to gain more sunlight, this doubles as an attempt at camouflage as nothing else can grow within the clearing. The spines it fires are wood, enhanced with elements it gathers from the bones of its victims (if it is a well established plant). They fly extremely fast and will easily tear through cloth and most will make it through medium leather. The plant will adjust its clusters before firing to match how large it senses its prey to be, because of this the clusters will spread over most of the preys body, almost guaranteeing some will make it around your armoured zones. The more spines that penetrate your skin, the faster you will go down and the longer you will stay down.
Last edited by Zuriel on March 18th, 2013, 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Z
"Common Speech"
"Zith Speech"
"Thoughts"
Zuriel
Player

Words: 31566
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2013, 2:35 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Zegan on March 12th, 2013, 10:02 pm

"It started out as a strange phenomenon - a ripple in the air. And then it screamed and I knew what was about to happen. I hoped it was a red one, but the blood dripping from my ears said otherwise."

Monster: Trikard

Race: Valterric

Occurence: Rare

Threat Level: Moderate to Very High

Major Features: Raptor-like qualities, protruding crystalline horns, shifting color schemes depending on ferocity

Abilities: Cloaking, agility, long lifespan, earsplitting roars, spectrum vision, enhanced strength

Lifespan: 40 - ?

The Trikard is potentially the most vicious Valterric in existence. Myths say it was born from the djed of Rozacapotl and searches for life it can end. It hunts all the time, and attacks humans more violently than animals. It has long, equal-length arms and legs, which it utilizes to run faster on all fours. It stands on its toes like many animals, i.e. a cat or dog. It has rock-hard scales and a diamond-hard crystalline skeleton that boasts long thick crystal spikes protruding from its heels and forearms, and three from the crown of its head. The aggressiveness of a trikard reflects in its color. The most docile are a deep red while the most violent are a bright violet. It can see djed in colors by blinking to change what color it sees. races that give off a red djed aren't seen if the trikard is seeing yellow. Its two black eyes only carry three spectrum colors each, so it will often blink and turns its head multiple times before striking. It has sharp fingers and toes and razor-sharp teeth, along with a body-length tail. Its two most intimidating abilities are its ability to cloak itself (ripples in one's vision give it away) and its cry which is strong enough to deafen any creature that can hear that doesnt have some sort of ear protection (trikards cant hear). The trikard is a lone creature that often takes shelter in mountains or dense forest. Its tall stature (as long as a young whale from head to tail) and formidable strength allow it to topple average trees with enough force. It hunts land animals only, cant swim, and has not been known to reproduce. The best way to kill a trikard is with magic. Avoid this creature at all costs or kill on sight.
Nari: Fluent
Common: Average
Tatani: Average
Zegan
I can talk to birds. You jelly?

Words: 4932
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2013, 6:56 pm
Location: Wind Reach, or 10,000 feet above it, depending on the day
Race: Human, Inarta

Postby Charles on March 20th, 2013, 7:10 am

Browsing the forum, stumbled upon this thread and had an idea.

Name: TBD

Description: Think the mammalian equivalent of an Emu, Ostrich or T-Rex. Standing slightly larger than it's real-world 'counterparts' (the birds), this particular beast has been described as an ugly.

Their heads could be described as those of a Tapir with shorter, rounder skull topped by a pair of large, socketed ears. Their skull is incredibly thick and is what this animal will fight with if need be; swinging its head like a mace.Their head is connected to their body by a thick, powerful neck that sticks out at a slight, giraffe-esque angle.

They possess a large, barrel-shaped torso and rump. Their tail is almost as long as the rest of its body and slowly thins to a stump. It sticks out behind their body, giving them the vague body shape of a predatory dinosaur like the T-Rex.

Unlike most animals which possess four appendages, these beasts only possess two. Thick, powerful legs are what carry this creature. Their legs end in large, thick hoofs that easily support this animals weight. They have an average running speed of 20-30 km/hr which they can maintain almost indefinitely, but have been known to reach up to 80km/hr over a very short distance.

They are covered in a thin layer of rough hair and are generally brown or black.

Behaviour:

These animals are herbivores that graze the plains of Mizahar untouched by agriculture. They are very social creatures that travel in herds, but they are extremely aggressive towards any other type of organism.
Charles
Player

Words: 6227
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Volkodlac on March 23rd, 2013, 11:15 am

Why not just traditional monsters like cockatrices, minotaurs etc.
Volkodlac
Lord Protector of the clan Neravar

Words: 1326
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Human, Drykas

Postby Zuriel on March 30th, 2013, 8:12 am

Not meaning to be in any way insulting but a browse through the Creative Manifesto may clear up your question Volkodlac. It's a pretty helpful article in general when trying to fit something into the lore, probably wouldn't hurt to have the link here in this thread anyway ^_^

Seeing some awesome stuff in this thread though, also I found a Development Thread for the Suvan Sea, if anyones particularly interested in it. I posted something in there too but there's no need to post it here aswell I think.
- Z
"Common Speech"
"Zith Speech"
"Thoughts"
Zuriel
Player

Words: 31566
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2013, 2:35 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Simon Mane on April 3rd, 2013, 8:09 pm

How about a creature that morphs into the person it is looking at.
Simon Mane
Player

Words: 820
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2013, 10:05 pm
Race: Human
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vaspira on April 4th, 2013, 3:17 am

I would like to see something that is not so fierce and gross looking. Something that is beautiful, cute and cuddly, to draw people near them, then BAM they are an evil, drooling, blood thirsty monster. Just throwing that out there... :D

This is me using Hypnotism.
Vaspira
Feral Beauty

Words: 151761
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ouity on April 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm

What do you guys think about certain glades, o\forests, or other natural areas sometimes developing, or being controlled or directed by a Hive Mind? Just brainstorming here, but I think it would be pretty cool if a lumberjack went out to collect wood, only to find that the forest is less than thrilled with his choice of lumber. The forest could either be blessed with the gift of c\group thought by a powerful gnosis wielder, or given the gift by Kaiyha. A disembodied conscious might also link to and settle in the forest, such as a powerful spirit or other supernatural force like fragments. It might bring interesting storylines for mages or other magic users as they struggle to rid the forest of its guiding conscious to make it safe to pillage lumber once again, or grant safe passage, while others might seek to defend it.

The controlling forces could all have different personalities, ticks, and motivations, from protecting the lives of their glade, to fighting off travelers who would dare enter their realms, to simply allowing people to do as they please, and intervening in situations of grave peril.

Just my two cents ^.^
When I'm speaking Vantha.

When I'm speaking common.
Ouity
An Apple a Day!

Words: 17506
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2013, 11:57 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Zegan on April 24th, 2013, 6:36 pm