Let's Brainstorm Some New Monsters!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Bravin on October 29th, 2012, 3:53 am

So the list of monsters is a little sparse when you read through the whole thing as I have and realize that a) 5 of them are familiars, b) 8 of them are only found in the Aperture, c) some of them are only found on certain planets or places that you would never ever go, and d) you would be arrested in some cultures for killing them.

That leaves very few monsters to randomly encounter in the wilderness or kill during quests, adventures, etc. I think we need some new monsters. They should be deadly, exotic, interesting, and most of all, widespread. Too many of the current monsters are only found in very specific places. We need several "stock" monsters for players to be able to encounter wherever they are in Mizahar.

That said, I don't really have any ideas. I feel bad for pointing out this problem and then not having any actual new monsters in mind, but I think we should all be able to brainstorm some together. So if you have any ideas, just post them here and we'll get the creative wheels turning!
Bravin
Player

Words: 5613
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2012, 5:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on October 29th, 2012, 1:32 pm

I've always wanted to fight flying pigs... Flying manbearpig?

:D
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Maringar on November 1st, 2012, 2:38 am

Idea: A sort of blanket shaped monster that on one side looks a lot like a pile of snow, the "snow" in fact being a kind of white hair, usually covered in a fine layer of actual snow. It might have retractable claws on that side, or maybe just the ability to wrap around and smother people to death. The other side might have lots of tiny legs, like a Caterpillar, or it could loccomote in a way similar to slugs. It might have a beak or maw of teeth on the bottom, it could also swallow folks whole and slowly digest them.
Adventuring tip 101: Adventuring in cold weather climes? Wear climbing boots.
Another idea: It might also have relatives that hide in sand or grass.
Maringar
Player

Words: 7008
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 7:06 am
Character sheet

Postby Bravin on November 2nd, 2012, 1:05 am

It could come in different shapes and sizes. Or maybe stretch its body to fit the situation. So it could become a clump of snow on an overhanging branch and then slide off onto its victims' heads. :D
Bravin
Player

Words: 5613
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2012, 5:01 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Maringar on November 2nd, 2012, 10:38 pm

Another idea: A Valterran spore monster. Originating from a giant mushroom that spread spores for miles around, the spores collected organic matter they came into contact with (Katamari Damacy style), and eventually formed into gross mossy creatures with a hatred for other sentient life. They developed a very crude collective intelligence linked by the giant mushroom that spawned them, and band together regulary to capture, kill and consume the animals of flesh. Once they consume enough to reach double their mass they split into two separate creatures. I guess they would also become increasingly gross and fleshy over time, maybe their goal is to gain enough collective mass to form into another giant mushroom somewhere else. Their intelligence might be enough to allow them to collect weapons or make very crude ones.

Edit: MOAR IDEAS! MROARMROARMMROAWM!
This might end up being a forum for my idea vomit, no promise that i'll actually end up working on all of the monsters i idea, people are also free to take the ideas and make them their own. Only when i have a much firmer grasp of the Mizaharian flavor will i work on any of these myself.

-guh, need to go, reserved for the moar ideas.-
Maringar
Player

Words: 7008
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 7:06 am
Character sheet

Postby Alyvina Theldin on November 18th, 2012, 10:40 pm

I was toying with fauna and flora monsters..
• vines that act like constrictors. They wrap around their victims like a cocoon and they secrete digestive juices through their pours and absorbs/eats them through their pours.

• a large flower that looks like an elongated deep bowl. It can imitate simple but distressed calls of people or animals, but it must hear it first. On the inside at the bottom, it has a strange looking lump that looks eerily like a baby. The inside walls are extremely sticky to capture pray. When it catches something, it closes and fills with nectar that digests its prey. It's nearly impossible to escape.

Still a work in progress :)
"Sometimes it is not the blind who cannot see."
Alyvina Theldin
Player

Words: 9935
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2012, 6:32 am
Character sheet

Postby Tabitha Sweetsong on December 6th, 2012, 5:13 am

Has anyone ever read the Monster Blood Tattoo? I think the types of monsters from that are very fitting for Mizahar. Similar ones will do really. Big monsters, small monsters, monsters that look like people etc.

One idea I had was a beast called a Snazlok, a human sized monster that looks horrendous when in it's normal form but it releases a toxic gas from about 100 meters away which allows it to change what you see when you look at it. So if you are affected than you may see a person instead of a monster. So it can get close. It has glans in it's throat which contain a liquid, this liquid goes through a process that turns it into gas as it leaves the body from pores in it's throat. The liquid is a rarity that is very hallucinogenic in large doses and is very expensive to buy and hard to get.
Tabitha Sweetsong
The Bard

Words: 10633
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2012, 9:10 am
Character sheet

Postby Thundiirn on December 9th, 2012, 10:55 am

This is a creature from a book I was writing at one time, that has since been put on the shelf indefinitely. If Mizahar would like to adopt it I'd be totally fine with that. They aren't exactly unique, and many fantasy worlds have some version or other of them, but as far as I can tell Mizahar doesn't yet. The two main creatures I based them off of is the Silithid in World of Warcraft and the Maw from the short story The Sandkings. Idk if that falls too closely under the rule category of "no common fantasy creatures" with vampires and such, but it's here if you want it.

Creature Name: Ulikoid

Short Description: Insectoid. They live in hives, and in fact arguably the entire hive is one single superorganism controlled by the Core, which is essentially their version of a queen, much like ants or bees would have.

Intelligence: They are sentient, with incredibly ranged levels of intelligence depending on the Core's age and number of drones it controls. However at higher intelligence levels each hive has its own unique language based on taste/smell rather than sound, and so most travellers will find it difficult/impossible to communicate with them. For this reason, the fact that they are sentient is not common knowledge, and pretty much all except those who have studied them extensively view them as mindless pests.

Size: They range in size from near-microscopic to about the size of the average human's hand, and grow bigger in proportion to number of drones (ie. a Core with only 3 drones would be miniscule, to the point where the chance you even realized you walked past it is 1 in a million. One with 10,000 drones, which is fully possible if left unchecked, would have drones the size of your hand, and the chances of walking past its territory WITHOUT facing an encounter with them would be 1 in a million)

Coloration: Each hive has very different markings and colors, and matches that of the Core's. Generally they make sense with whatever habitat they're in, though it is extremely rare (not impossible) for a Core to decide to move its hive, in which case they colors may seem odd. An infant Core will be a plain grey color. Only after leaving the hive of its birth and shedding its skin for the first time will it gain a primary color, and only after its second shedding will it gain secondary colored markings.

Location: They are extremely versatile, and can live just about anywhere as long as there is land to stand on (some can swim, some can fly, but their hive structures are always land-based). By extension, they're also therefore incredibly common at small sizes, though due to their status as pest the enormous, sentient, highly intelligent hives with creatures the size of your hand are incredibly rare and only crop up in the most undisturbed of wilderness. Generally they're as obnoxious as when ants get into your house. Temperature is their greatest weakness, so they are somewhat limited in that sense. But aside from that, they could live deep in the darkest depths of a forest, at the back of an enormous cave, or decide to set up shop in your kitchen in the middle of Syliras (though if this is the case it's incredibly rare for them to grow enough to become dangerous, or even much more than a nuisance. It would be well-known by any sane person to stamp them out instantly before they grew).

I could write more on them if requested, but seeing as I don't know if they're too similar to other fantasy creatures I don't want to waste my time if it has no chance of being used. I'm happy to though if it's being put into consideration!
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Outcast on January 27th, 2013, 11:29 pm

Just my submission

Sap drinker
Description
A 2 foot tall hunched humanoid figure. It has a thick carapace on it's back, arms and head that resembles bark. There is an eye on each side of it's head but no forward facing eyes meaning that in combat the sap drinker tends to swing it's head from side to side for depth perception. It has long curved claws on it's hands and feet that it uses to cling to trees and scrape away bark from the trunk so it can feed. The arms and legs are disproportianatly long but rather thin and brittle. The front of it's torso is soft and vunerable. It's mouth is shaped to fit around the curve of a tree and is equiped with several long fangs that it drives into the tree to feed on the sap.

Behavour
Sap drinkers are animals. Social animals at that. Large groups of them (between ten and fifty) will occupy the same area of forest and collabourate to defend their territory either from other groups of sap drinkers or other threats. They can stay attached to the side of a tree for years at a time without moving. There has been tales of Sap drinkers who were motionless so long the growth of the tree started to envelop them. If disturbed the whole group will attack the intruder. They will retreat if they believe the whole group will be killed otherwise and will flee from bright lights, loud noises and they will avoid fire if at all possible. In combat they use their powerful bite force and claws as their main weapons, they will cooperate and use their climbing abilities to come at you from above and behind while you focus on the ones in front of you. In the rare cases you encounter a lone sap drinker it will flee from anything larger than itself.
Outcast
Player

Words: 7517
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Valessa on January 29th, 2013, 3:02 am

I have a idea..

Burrow grubs!

Fat ugly grubs the length of a person finger. They live in moss in said areas like Falyndar.. Cyphrus.. And on rare occasions. In Syliras, their white in color. With a black head, and thousands of tiny little legs. Staying in groups of 5-8 and the most ever seen. 13. When disturbed in their moss homes and rotting tree burrows. They will attack the disturber with a frightening and painful approach... Skree! Skree! They'll say as the hop all over you, and burrow themselves into your body, laying eggs and eating you inside out!
Valessa
Player

Words: 1234
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2013, 4:50 am

Next