Flashback (FM) Fish Marketing (Val)

Ricky and Odis are left to be temporarily running their partner's stall, with little experience on pricing the fish.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

(FM) Fish Marketing (Val)

Postby Ricky Maze on November 11th, 2012, 10:03 am

Fish Marketing
Summer 40th, 510 AV

Ah yes it was a fine fishing day to be had as Ricky and Odis made their way to the market. The ripe scent of fresh sea fish brought up to be sold hung around the late morning of this day, but the unique aroma of grilled fish loomed in the area as well. It was all a familiar schedule however, as the bustle of the city would repeat itself. Oh yes the workers would lounge around on break and get back to loading and unloading, the merchants would cry out to the passing locals to generate interest in their merchandise, and advertise when they would fish in customer's with their pick up lines. It was the same repetetive schedule everyday, and get Ricky would never become bored or tired of it. The city itself was exciting in its own manner, the people were interesting as well as the sites. It was all so fascinating to take in.

"Heeey Rick!" A merchant with a familiar face called out to him, as they arrived to their destination It was Telion working at her stall, Ricky's "partner" as well. Telion welcomed them both with open arms. She allowed Odis to give her kisses with giggles and laughs, and she finally stood up to look at Ricky. "Your a bit slow today." She joked as she rested her hands on her hips, her sneer was returned by Ricky's chuckle.

"Aren't ye a little pushy today! Ya must be wantin somethin if that's the case." He was only joking when he said this, but by the smile on her face and glint in her eyes that joke was no longer funny.

"Oh you know me, I'm just a busy body. Are you fishing today?" She quizzed with a curious look, Ricky wondered what she had up her sleeve. She was always a keen one when it came to oppertunities, and she was clever at taking the right ones. "Well I was plannin on it. Why lass?" Her smile widened as she took one of his hands. Pulling him around behind the stall. "I really don't need fish today as my stock need's to be cleared out, but I need to run over to the store and I wouldn't like to miss a wonderful oppertunity!"

"Uh...yeah sure, but I-" He was cut off by her reaction. "Oh I knew i could count on you Rick! It'll just be for a couple bell's so don't worry!" She said while skipping off in a merry mood, Ricky only looked to Odis with a frown.

"Hmmh. Ruff!" He barked as he wagged his tail, Ricky only sighed. "Ye're right boy, it's just a favor....although I really don't know how much she sell's her stock for." He seemed puzzled by it but up to the challenge, for today was a different day. Today he would now practice negotiating prices for what he catches.

Last edited by Ricky Maze on November 13th, 2012, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 12th, 2012, 10:12 am

Valerius Nitrozian was in a bad mood again. It happened fairly frequently since the cook had gotten the food from a different supplier. Today they had gotten fish for lunch. That in itself would not have been a problem. Valerius didn’t mind fish. Unfortunately the fish they had gotten had been old, and several of his classmates had gotten food poisoning. Again, that in itself would not have been a problem. Valerius didn’t really care what happened to other people as long as he was spared. Unfortunately they had gotten sick in class though which had made it very hard for Valerius to concentrate. The class had been on the Ancient Tongue, his favourite subject.

He had at once decided that he would make their food his responsibility from now on so that the class wouldn’t be interrupted by sick people anymore. He had already complained about the food to the cook (who hadn’t said much). And then he had decided to go to the fish market himself because he didn’t really trust the cook to know which fish was good and which wasn’t anymore. He would buy a couple of fish and then show the cook what he wanted him to cook from now. He hoped that the man would appreciate it. Valerius usually wasn’t that helpful.

It was a beautiful day, and thus Valerius‘ mood improved marginally as he walked through the city. The air was salty and filled with the smell of grilled fish. Maybe he would buy some once he had concluded his business, he decided. Unlike his classmates he had only eaten a little bit because he had already noticed that the meal was of inferior quality the moment he had seen it which meant that his stomach had started growling. He hated when his stomach growled. It was embarrassing.

As he saw Ricky’s stall, he stopped. He knew that people like him had all kinds of little tricks to make their products look fresh even though they weren’t, but at least at first glance the fish seemed acceptable. And the man looked halfway reliable as well, although he was a bit too tall for Valerius‘ taste (who was well below six feet tall). So he approached. He hoped that the fisherman would appreciate the fact that a customer as well mannered and elegantly dressed as him had decided to do business with him.

„Good day, Sir“, he spoke. „I would like to buy a few fish from you. Which ones would you say are your best?“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on November 12th, 2012, 9:26 pm

As Ricky was examining the merchandise he had a slight idea what value Telion would put on them, since she didn't really leave him any notes or anything he would have to estimate. With that pretty much summerized his first customer had arrived, one that was well dressed for the occasion nonetheless. When he asked what fish were the best Ricky cut himself of and gave a puzzled look, glancing through the selection once more as he tried not to look nervous. By the looks of it the Glimmer Perch was her best looking, but this guy had to be after the real deal. If Ricky had caught some of these fish he would have no problem in knowing what was good, but he didn't and he was now beginning to crack underneath the pressure. He chuckled to the boy nervously.

"Aah sorry la- sir! I don't really work at this stall ye see, my partner sorta stooped me today. If ya want my honest opinion...." He looked to his old time favorite to fish, the black scale plumped fish. "The Bovine Guppy here always makes a great dinner for a family, simmerin' them provides a favorable taste with the right seasonin's." He reassured with a friendly nervous grin, he hoped the customer fancied the pitch...although that was more like a desperate attempt at persuasion. Odis laid down and hid his head underneath his paw's, an expression he did that resembled "Oh boy."

Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 13th, 2012, 9:24 am

As Ricky informed him that he didn’t really work at the stall, the Ravokian made a face. That wasn’t good. That wasn’t good at all. „You do know something about fish though, I hope?“ he asked. „Otherwise I’ll have to do business with a different merchant today.“

He glanced at the fish that Ricky suggested. The frown on his face deepend. It didn’t look tooo bad, but the name, the name was questionable. „Bovine guppy?“ he repeated, looking slightly disgusted. „That makes me think of a cross between a cow and the fish I had in my fish tank back home. Are you sure a fish with that kind of name is edible?“

He doubted that his classmates had a problem with eating bovine guppies – they had thought the spoiled fish had looked delicious as well, idiots that they were – but he got sick by even hearing its name.

„I’d rather buy a different fish“, he told Ricky. „With a normal name, like salmon or carp for example. I don’t think I could even eat a bite of this one. You do have normal fish for sale, I assume?“

The Ravokian arched an eyebrow. It was then that he noticed the dog. He glanced at the animal smiling very lightly – he’d always been fond of dogs – and then he looked back at its underwater-cow loving owner, waiting for his reply.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on November 13th, 2012, 8:41 pm

"Eh? Oh, er..." Ricky was quite at a loss when the man turned it down for a normal fish, this one no doubt being his most difficult customer of the day. Not only was it his first difficult customer but his first customer period, and now Ricky was already mucking it up big time. He cleared his throat as he looked about the merchandise once more. 'Damn Tel, the situation's ya put me in sometimes.' He thought to himself as he threw his merchant face on, his natural instinct now adapting to the role he was switching to. 'Ok Ricky boy, ye gotta get out there. Just do what Tel would, ya seen what she can do.' He thought to himself as he looked at the salmon and carp, both looking pretty tasty right about now; but Ricky knew his customer was after the quality stuff.

"I'm sorry sir but the salmon isn't at the highest quality ye would appreciate," He had confidence in his voice now, "Perhaps you would be interested in Sea Bass? Those have the best flavor one such as yourself can enjoy!" He had an uncanny sense of a merchant playing out already, and his choice of bass was a good one too. Or was it? Those tend to be a tad bit salty every now and then, maybe if simmered then the salty flavor should cook out a little. No. Now was not the time to be unsure or modest, he had a tough customer as of now and he was going to impress. He was examining the rest of the stock as he waited for the boy to reply, making mental tabs on what was what and what should be what. Quality of quantity was a motto Tel alway's told Ricky, it was good to know some of the things she said stuck.

Ok so the carp, salmon, guppy, bass, and perch was all she had today. No pikes? Why did she have no pikes? That was something he would have to consider as "out of stock" in this case. Hm well then, the quality of the stock seemed all fairly decent. The salmon being the less favorable choice, it was difficult to make a salmon steak without the right amount of salt. The bovine didn't seem appealing by the sound now that he thought of it, the carp was all a bit smaller then the favorable size, the bass were a tad above average today, and the golden perch was something he wasn't sure of. Perfect! He had examined the stock the way he would if he were an actual merchant, now it was just a matter of appealing to his customer's apetite in order to sell.

Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 14th, 2012, 12:42 pm

As Ricky began to stammer, Valerius made a face. Apparently his refusal of the bovine … thing had surprised him and promptly robbed him of his ability to speak like a normal person. The Ravokian didn’t like such people. In his opinion, a merchant, even if it was just a lowly fish merchant, ought to be professional at all times and adapt to his customer’s wishes. As the fisherman inspected his merchandise, without a doubt trying to decide if he had anything at all that would suit Valerius, the Ravokian crossed his arms over his chest and frowned at him. The stall had looked quite acceptable at first glance, but apparently he had been wrong, and he was already beginning to lose his patience.

„Oh?“ he asked as Ricky made a comment about the salmon’s lack of quality. „From what I know salmon is one of the best and most delicious fish. Is there something wrong with your salmon? Is it already spoiled? As for sea bass, doesn’t that particular fish taste a bit salty? I might consider it regardless, but only if you tell me how to get rid of that taste. How many fish do you have for sale anyway? I would like to supply everybody in the house where I live with fish, as I’ve come to distrust our cook.“

„He’d probably think that buying some of your underwater cow mutants would be a marvelous idea.“

He stopped talking – probably to Ricky’s relief – and let his gaze sweep across the fish he had for sale instead. He could see a bit of carp there. At least he thought it looked like carp. Why hadn’t Ricky offered that to him? Was there something wrong with his salmon and carp? He was apparently not a very good fish merchant!
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on November 14th, 2012, 8:42 pm

'Arg, I knew it.' Ricky thought to himself as he could see the customer getting impatient, when he asked Ricky if the salmon was spoiled though that was something he didn't have to think on. "Aye sir, I believe the salmon has come rather close to it actually," He picked up a salmon and gave a demonstration,"I'm a fishermam myself sir, and what I like to see in my salmon is quality! The salmon here has began to darken a bit, that's a sign that it's been out to long. Definitely gonna leave an odd taste in yer supper!" He admitted humbly to his customer, placing the salmon back and picking up a decent size sea bass. "These fella's are what a sir like you would enjoy, after enough simmerin' and maybe some smokin' on a grill you will cook out the salt in no time! Add a bit of your favored seasoning to em and you have an excellent bass." He reassured his customer with a grin, and placed the bass back down. He was rather proud he had managed to demonstrate that, being his first time running a stall temporarily he felt he was learning rather quick.

When Val had pointed out that he was wanting to feed a family Ricky felt sure the guppy was what he would need, although the name didn't seem appealing to the man Ricky did have an idea. "Beggin yer pardon sir, Ye do look like some one whose family does enjoy a nice fillet or seared fish. Now I won't coax or pressure a fine gentleman like ya self sir, but this guppy here makes a good fillet or seared meal." He picked up one guppy and pointed at it's body for the next demonstration, " As unappealing as the name does sound, the bovine is packed with twice the meat. That's twice the nutrients in one meal sir! The best part is the taste is magnificent, and that there is more to go around. Ya wish to feed a entire family sir? This guy here can last up to two depending on the family size!" He was gentle and humble with his speech, placing the guppy back down and allowing the customer to take in the demonstration. He was hoping he would be rather persuasive, just enough to hopefully gain the customer's interest so that he would buy a fish. If he was planning on buying multiple, then no doubt the guppy would do well. If he wanted great quality in an original, the sea bass was the best Telion had. Should the customer ask about another fish however, Ricky would do his best to reel him in. For this was his first customer and Ricky's intentions were to win him over.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 21st, 2012, 6:47 am

As Ricky informed him that the salmon had indeed been out too long, the Ravokian made a face and shuddered a little. He couldn’t help thinking about the taste of it. It was probably disgusting.

„I see“, he murmurred once he had recovered somewhat. His retarded classmates probably wouldn’t mind half spoiled salmon, but he definitely had a problem with it, so he listened to what the fisherman had to say about the sea bass.

„Smoked fish sounds good“, he decided. As far as he was concerned, a little smoke improved every meal. „How much is it?“

„As for your assumption that the fish is for a family, you are wrong. It is for a select few people at the University. The cook is incompetent and served us spoiled fish, so I’ve decided to take matters into my own hands and arrange a deal with a new supplier. Would you like to be that new supplier, sir?“

As Ricky continued to advertise his cow fish, Valerius was torn between just leaving and hurting the man. Only the fact that a fisherman like him probably didn’t wash himself regularly kept him from it. He didn’t want to catch some kind of nasty disease from him.

„Didn’t I already make myself clear enough? I don’t want that fish. I will never eat anything that has ‚bovine‘ in its name. I don’t like cows. You will either sell sea bass to me – for a good price – or I will leave immediately and do business with one of your competitors. What shall it be?“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on November 21st, 2012, 7:16 pm

Ricky dropped the bovine next to his cow-like friends, the guppy landing with a thunk as he kept his smile from transitioning into a frown. He had a chance to make a smoothe recovery now as the customer was interested in the sea bass, and Ricky was happily going to take this chance and improvise while he could. "Alright alright Sir," He cheered as he moved next to the pile of the sea bass, "Now yer wish is to feed yer friends the best fish? The bass can do that when smoked well, keeping the nice savory flavor." He looked at the merchandise thr customer was interested in, wondering how much Tel would normally sell these for. He never paid attention when a customer asked that sort of question, usually though she would pick around one or two gold miza's. Was that by quantity or by pound though? That was where he would draw a blank, but will little time to think it over he would have to assume this guess to be a good deal.

"Hm. I believe these go for two gold miza's per pound sir, but after yer fine patience I'm gonna sweeten the deal and ask that ye only pay one per pound." He stated humbly as he felt sure the price was a generous one, he made sure not to touch or handle the bass. He didn't want to agigate the poor man anymore then he already had. Odis said his turn in the deal.

"Rru ruff! Ruff ruff!" He cheered after Ricky's name of the price, Ricky smiled when he saw Odis reacted that way, and he turned back to the customer in confidence. "See sir even my companion agees, this deal is one ya can't pass up." He reassured the man humbly, although it was more for himself really.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on December 10th, 2012, 4:11 pm

„They are not my friends“, Valerius informed him coldly. He didn’t have friends. He didn’t trust other people enough. „They are merely my classmates, and I want them to be well fed, preferrably with food that is not spoiled, so that I can concentrate on my studies and not be forced to endure their complaints and watch and listen to them being sick. My studies are of the utmost importance.“

„One miza per pound sounds acceptable“,
he continued. „I’d like to buy ten pounds for now, and if everything goes as I hope, somebody from the university will visit you to discuss the details of a long term contract. Does that sound acceptable, Mister …?“

He paused. It was obvious that he wished to know the name of the man he was doing business with.

„Your dog seems to be quite intelligent“, he remarked as Odis barked. For a moment the Ravokian smiled. He wasn’t particularly interested in people, especially people that had wanted to sell him underwater cows, but he had always been fond of dogs. „Where did you get him?“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes