Bounty (Hadassah)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Bounty (Hadassah)

Postby Wrenmae on November 21st, 2012, 11:08 pm

Fall 35th, 512 AV

“Are you Wrenmae?”

Leaning back in his chair, the hypnotist regarded the man addressing him from across the table. The scar struck him first, a nasty line perforating his face into two sections. Green eyes held him with surprising force and all the body language of the brute seemed to suggest a competency in the art of murder. Even so, he respectfully held back, even deigned to politely address the hypnotist.

This was not a man looking to fight. This was a man looking for him.

“I have been called such,” He slid the mug he was drinking across to the empty seat, “Take a seat and tell me what you’re seeking.”

“My thanks,” he said taking the offered seat but not touching the mug, “My name is Alistair Rom, I represent the Hand of Recompense.”

“I am not aware of your organization.”

“You shouldn’t be.”

Wrenmae quirked up an eyebrow, one hand edging off the table and below it, tapping on the hilt of his rapier. Alistair held up a hand and forced an insincere smile, “Peace. I am approaching you on recommendation from Hound. He says your stay in Sunberth is temporary.”

“Perhaps Hound speaks too much.”

“He also says you are a capable individual.”

“What kind of capable?”

“The problem solving kind.”

“I have been known to propose solutions.”

“I do not discuss solutions, I pay for them.”

“Does the hand of recompense compensate well?”

“We are fair.”

“Sunberth is not fair.”

“We are generous.”

“Rare.”

“Necessary.”

Wrenmae nodded, his right hand joining the left on the table again. “Very well, and what sort of solution are you looking to pay for?”

“A rogue agent of ours, Hadassah. A woman, long brown hair, brown eyes, quick with a bow and never goes anywhere without her cherrywood composite. She likes to frequent the Drunken Fish.”

“Why not handle it yourself?”

“She’s family. She knows our own. The Hand…rarely hires outside their ranks. She will not expect you.”

“And how do you expect it?”

“As effectively as possible.”

“And the payment?”

“Half now, half upon completion.”

“You know how to do business.”

“No one survives in Sunberth long who doesn’t.”

Wrenmae nodded. Fair knowledge. Alistair’s expression never changed, a grim slit set below a diagonal red scar crossing up onto his hairline. Reaching to his side, he pulled a bag from his belt and set it on the table. Coins clinked against coins and Wrenmae swiftly reached out and drew the bag toward him. Glancing inside, he marveled that not a single miza was not edged in gold. Looking up to Alistair, Wrenmae gave a single nod, pulling the coin off the table and tying it to his belt. When he looked up again, the man was already leaving the bar.

Charming fellow

Sense anything amiss, Zan?

Apart from how badly he smelled?

You can smell?

No. But I can imagine.

Try again, Zan, think. What about him seemed off?

I dunno, that he asked you?

Why?

You weren’t exactly known for killing lots of people back in the day.

That is one reason, yes. I think we have Hound to thank for that. The man has an uncomfortable amount of information on me. What else worried you?

That was about it.

With the information he received from Hound, he knows that I was a part of the Crimson Edge…a failed and derelict gang. Even so, he approached and paid me upfront, more than I would expect, to deal with a single girl in a known location.

You asked why he didn’t handle it himself.

And his reason was lacking. He could have paid a tenth of this to five desperate men. I’d say he has great faith in her skills, but I have not shown remarkable skills…at least not in places Hound could observe.

What does it mean?

It means we be careful, complete the job, and watch our backs.

Bet Hound doesn’t know we have one extra set of eyes on our side.

And that’s what I’m counting on.

Several bells later

A skeleton crew manned the Drunken Fish tonight. The usual drunks were strangely absent from the splintered seats and no one stopping in stayed much longer than it took to drain their glass. Not a one of them looked comfortable, each did so quickly, spoke little, and left after paying the exact amount owed to the barkeep. Wrenmae had been in the bar for a few bells now and the behavior had repeated itself all evening.

They planned to kill him and her.

He'd come to the conclusion two bells ago, sending Zan out to wait on the roof as insurance. They'd know the killers were coming before they showed up. That set, the hypnotist looked across the bar at his supposed target. The girl seemed worse for wear, dulled by spirits she cut a morose figure.

She was desireable, at least in the way that Sunberth women sometimes are...not the sort of meek mousey creature some of the thugs went poking for in the brothels, there was an energy about her that the alcohol couldn't quite quench. She had blood on her hands, she'd fed on the souls of her enemies before, she'd enjoyed stringing that bow. At least she sat like it.

The weight of her world falling around her and she still had the grit to sit as if expecting a fight.

Smiling to himself, Wrenmae stood and walked over to her table, sliding into the seat across from her.

"Tell me a story, girl," He said, tapping his pewter mug against the poorly polished tabletop, "How'd an archer like you come to slum so low?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Bounty (Hadassah)

Postby Hadassah on November 22nd, 2012, 12:09 am

[size=90]
She sat hunched over the table, head bowed, arms crossed atop its surface. Her eyes were closed, but she cocked her head at the sound of someone sliding into the seat opposite her own. His voice was alluring, inviting in a way. Nothing in it hinted at an attraction, nor was it enticing her into pointless conversation. His flawless articulation suggested a certain intentionality about his words. This question, his sudden approaching her, was intentional. His voice, masked. False. Worth investigation. Despite the alcohol’s affect, her mind remained quite clear in observation. She didn't know whether to take it as a gift or a curse.

Eyes flaring open, she leaned back in her chair with a broad grin, soaking in his appearance. He was too clean for her liking. “I’ve been lower,” she hissed, crossing her legs and tilting her head back to guzzle down the last of her drink. Unconsciously, her left hand fell at her hip, where her bow leaned against her chair. Her fingers brushed up against the smooth wood for a split second, assuring that it was there, ready for her if she needed. A moment later, her hands were back on the table, folded around the mug. “But life does have a way of leading us poor hunters back to the drink, doesn’t it?” Her amber gaze caught his rapier, flickering back up to his face. Younger than she’d thought, poor fool.

Yet something about him struck her as special. His slim frame, rustic voice, ragged hair. A young face, by years, but not by experience. Wise eyes. Those eyes had seen more than most, yet he could control them well. Perhaps he was more of a threat than she gave him credit for. Strength and weapons were never something that she’d feared. Weapons never won a fight, after all, only the mind behind them. This particular mind was definitely more than its exterior allowed others to observe. He was definitely a threat… But she was not quite sure yet if he was a threat to her.

“And what brings a respectable man such as yourself to my table?” She asked, trying not to let on her suspicions. She’d never been the best at hiding her thoughts, though the spirits helped a bit. Her face remained void of emotion, and she made sure to keep her hands still on the table. Eyes glued to his, she cocked a brow, lips twitching into a well-practiced flirtatious smirk as she awaited his response.
Hadassah
The Lioness of Sunberth

Words: 13298
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2012, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Bounty (Hadassah)

Postby Wrenmae on November 22nd, 2012, 6:46 pm

Even the most dour of mourners could lift their head in mimed practice. Her sorrow, body language, facial expression, the pallor of the aura surrounding her, all had been banished the moment he made his presence known. Like all Sunberthians, she held a strict stranglehold on her emotions. Weakness was the chink by which enemies found grasp. Each man and woman within the anarchist city held their own private method of despair. Most turned to suckle at the drink, others turned to violence, still more lost themselves in the arms of a brothel whore. But there were few who shared their sadness with another, most internalized it, swallowed it, let it hollow them out so only cold wind whistled through their husky of a body.

Wrenmae might have been the same, might still be the same if he stayed here long enough.

While he had the time, he pulled Auristics into being, reading her aura as best he could with his meager ability. Her hands smelled of blood, albeit faintly. For an archer, she'd had the opportunity and the gumption to kill up close, and had performed it well. He sensed the smell of alcohol, the fermentation of her logic. Still, she put on a good front, even when taken with the drink.

There were emotions roiling inside her, but he couldn't pinpoint them.

Letting the magic fall away, he reached down to his belt, pulling off the sack of mizas and placing them on the table.

We have trouble.

How many?

Ooooo. You already expected them?

The only thing I don't suspect are the number. How risky does my employer think I am?

Five men.

A safe number, but not safe enough.

So two and a half guys for both of us.

How do we fight half a man?

I call top half!

Get into position and prepare to ambush them from the back.

Got it, chief. They haven't moved in yet, probably waiting for the bar to clear out.

We have one regular and the barkeep. When the regular leaves I expect the barkeep to take a break in the back room. When they move, we move.

Nice to be back, huh?

Not for some people.

"Respectable? How kind of you to say, but we haven't even met. I assure you, respectable is not the quality I was leaning towards this evening."

Tugging the draw-string apart, Wrenmae spilled some of the gold rimmed coins onto the table. They clattered, gleaming there with pale promise. "Note, hunter, that the coins in this bag are half of what your life is worth. I've come this evening to claim your life for a man named Alistair representing the Hand of Recompense."

Her muscles tightened, sparks of necessary viciousness streaming through her skin. In a moment she might push back from the table, draw her bow, nock an arrow, and fire.

Wrenmae held up a hand, scooping the coins back into the pouch and twisting the string. "Peace, girl, I don't intend to collect the other half. Five men wait for our last patron to leave the bar. Once he does, they'll knock down the door or fire from the windows. We both have marks on our souls, I think, so while we have some time to relax...tell me about this Hand of Recompense...and your involvement with them."

He waved for the barkeep to bring them another round, smiling.

"I think it better we know our opponents and a little of ourselves before we're to fight together, don't you?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Bounty (Hadassah)

Postby Hadassah on December 10th, 2012, 1:10 am

Internally, a range of emotions swept over Hadassah. First came instinct. Adrenaline shot through her at his claimed objective. In a couple of seconds, she could throw the table, nock an arrow, and take his life. Then came the fire, a burst of bloodlust, rage that she otherwise kept in check. An eagerness to engage in battle, yet contained by grief. Another life taken at her hands… Hadn’t there been enough death? The animal inside her disagreed, but she knew that she was tranquilized. No longer the lioness she had been. She’d left the Hand to escape this pattern, this eternal hunt. But one more life taken for the sake of her freedom? The possibility crossed her mind, but when his lips parted again, she hesitated. The suggestion that he might be an ally left her uneasy. How could he know that there were five men? The Hand rarely sent out its operatives in odd numbers. Always pairs with balanced strengths and differing roles. His relaxed nature upset her. He looked able enough to fight, at something about him made her wary of some silent strength. There was more to him than met the eye, but against the Hand? He would never stand a chance. Alone, they were just well trained assassins, but as a team… The familiar yet distant thrill of that teamwork washed over her; the pieces of their different talents coming together like clockwork, their placement flawless, each step, each shot, each fight, beautifully laid out and executed. They were an unstoppable force to anyone oblivious of their ways, which, in Sunberth, was just about everyone. They never asked for outside help because they never needed it. So why now? And why five men? She considered desperation. It was a possibility, due to its small size and inability to train newcomers quickly. Perhaps they were getting sloppy, fumbling to keep her silent and out of the way. But something felt wrong about the whole situation, so for the moment, she slid the thought to the back of her mind.

Externally, she cocked a brow, shot a glance around the rest of the room, and leaned in, resting her elbows on the table. Her smile waned, and she couldn’t help but allow the slightest sadness to seep through her skin. Lowering her eyes, she glowered at empty glass before her, weighing what she might say. Was this man worth trusting? Probably not, considering he was in Sunberth, no matter how much he reeked of foreign places. She glanced up to meet his gaze, curious as to why he was acting this way. Men always had a way of finding some ulterior motive to helping her. But perhaps he was worth a sliver of trust.

“I suppose so…” She leaned back, crossing her arms, amber eyes glued to his face, searching for ques. “You’ve already met Alistair, our weasel of a messenger, for lack of better words.” The words slithered through her clenched teeth dripping with disdain, “though I’ve never once heard of him requesting an outside assassin.” A long pause followed, as she considered all of the possible situations. Then, “the Hand is not to be trifled with. I left, they didn’t want me to, and now they’re trying to kill me, because it’s the only thing we hunters know what to do.” Looking back to his attentive eyes, she gave a faint smile, coming back to the present moment, “There are not five men, either four or six, and they will all fight differently. We only have hope of escape if we confront them individually. They know me, and they will know enough about you to exploit whatever weakness you may have. As hunters, they will not attack us here. They’ll stalk us, wait for the right moment, and attack.” She glanced toward the window, then to the door, “we have all the time we need.” Her gaze shifted, and he was the center of her attention once more, “So why don’t you share a bit of your story.”
Hadassah
The Lioness of Sunberth

Words: 13298
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2012, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Bounty (Hadassah)

Postby Wrenmae on December 10th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Despite her warning, the confidence did not bleed of Wrenmae's face. A small smile languished at the corner of his mouth and his eyes remained open and interested. If he feared her description of the Hand and their capabilities, he was a marvel at not showing it. Certainly, five or six men would be problematic. Three to one odds were never his preferred method of combat...but the organization could not possibly know even a small hint of his talents. All traces of his magic were hidden in Sunberth, concealed to a point of being known only by those he killed...and there were too few of them. Zeltiva might be a place to discover his magical aptitude, but only in the courses he'd studied...glyphing, auristics, alchemy...none were combative magics.

His ship had wrecked in the Suvan and he, the only survivor washed ashore a year ago...no one knew of him then.

At best, they would hold him as a thug who favored the long dagger and had a penchant for innovative strategies and ruthless negotiation. It wasn't the best qualities to hire in an assassin, certainly not if they were prepared to send so many after here.

No. It was more likely the Daggerhand was paying for his execution, or some other interested party from Zeltiva. The sixth could be here, the entire time, could even be her. In any case, six to one odds were worse than three to one odds.

But not entirely impossible.

Of course, that was not including the possibility they had some divine intervention feeding them info, in which case, well...they were already dead anyways.

Leaning back in the chair, Wren launched his feet up on the table, balancing precariously on the back two legs. "So they wait to kill us in the alleys, hmm? Not as efficient as a closed location, but no accounting for taste where fringe assassins are concerned." He lifted an eyebrow at Hadassah, "You should consider leaving Sunberth. If they're really set on killing you, being in this city is enough to sign off on that death warrant personally. You make it out of here alive, try your hand near Zeltiva. I'd have use for a bow and mentality like yours...and you could stand to do better than a dive like this with people like them drooling for your throat." He jerked a thumb toward the window.

What's the situation?

They're splitting up, groups of two.

Still five?

Still five.

Keep an eye out for any other stragglers or creepers.

Got it. We moving soon?

That's the idea.

Where to?

Safehouse across town, you remember the place. The Edge laid low in it back in the day, should still have that hidden bottom level.

That place is cramped.

But effective. We can move in the morning.

Not gonna kill her?

What's the point? One less ally in that case.

Unless she's the sixth.

Then I break her mind. Simple enough.

...Simple enough?

I'll figure it out. For now she thinks they won't attack us in this 'warren', hunters always like prey on the move.

Two at a time? Sounds...awkward.

Yeah, but I'm betting none of them are experienced in Sarawanki's. Pick em off if you can.

Got it, boss.

Good fellow.

Spinning off the table, Wrenmae made his way to the bar and poured himself a drink. "Not much to say in my case, or at least I can match your extensive backstory. I was born in Syliras, traveled to Alvadas, and briefly ran with a gang for two seasons here in Sunberth. The after isn't important and the present speaks for itself. Suffice to say, I'm not long for these streets. I have a boat to catch to Sahova in a day or two."

Stalking back to their table and taking a seat, he took a sip of the spirits, wincing before pushing it across the table toward her, "Nostalgia hasn't reminded me of anything I missed here. I much prefer Zeltiva."

He shrugged, sitting back again, "So what's your story, Hadassah? Ran afoul of your former comrades? Drowning your sorrows and waiting to die? What keeps a traitor in the lion's den?"

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook