Location [Wind Reach] The Valintar

Housing, Employment, Law Enforcement. The Ultimate Authority.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Wind Reach] The Valintar

Postby Gossamer on August 17th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Description:

Set just a short walk from the inside the Sanikas Gates of Wind Reach on the ground level of the 'City' the Valintar's office is an impressive display of the glassworks of the Inarta. The office itself is in essence a huge stained glass atrium visible from both the air and the ground floor of the twin lakes as a platform that extends out partially on stone pillars over the lower lake itself. It has a small dock and pier attached to it, as well as an 'inner sanctum' portion that runs deep into the walls of the volcano where a small reception room is sheltered inside the volcano proper. A magic called 'sheilding' protects the exposed glass atrium from rock falls and landslides that often frequent Mt. Skyinarta.

The reception lacks a secretary as Kaden handles most of his affairs himself and always maintains his office hours. If the door is unlocked, he's there. And if he's not there and the door is barred, there's always a sign with the return time clearly posted in neat magnetic-backed glass lettering. There's a large bird stand near the door to his office proper, and one can often see one of the large thunder bay eagles (though far smaller than a Wind Eagle) perched. Kaden keeps several birds as pets and often carries them with him save for the thunder bay eagle whos name is Starvine. Starvine roams the twin lakes areas and maintains a permanent residence in the Valintar's office or Kaden's personal quarters.

The space itself looks out over a pier which has a sailboat tied up to it. The sailboat was one Kaden hand crafted himself. Meals can be taken on the dock part of the atrium, while business is conducted inside the reception itself. Kaden's office is offlimits to most people who aren't craftsman or riders, and is probably one of the most magnificent structures in Wind Reach. A side door off the atrium reception leads to Kaden's personal quarters, a large stone suit with its own set of windows looking over the lake.

One doesn't need to knock to get Kaden's attention. All they need to do is open the door to the reception and walk in. They can marvel at the lit glass covering the walls and ceiling illuminated from behind until the structure stretches out over the water itself past giant double glass doors. There is a comfortable sitting area with sunken couches that people can relax in while they are waiting for an audience.

NPCs:

Kaden Avin is the supreme authority in Wind Reach. He is tasked with the responsibility of assigning class to each and every individual in Wind Reach. New or people who have suddenly married, bonded with an Eagle, or gained an education must seek him for reclassification so their food rations can be managed. Kaden also holds rank over the Master's Circle which is the ruling body in Wind Reach. He is also an incredible drummer who often plays at most of the city's party events and festivals. Kaden is extremely approachable, easy to look at but not exactly handsome, and tends to make people feel at ease in his presence. However, he is forthright and will speak his mind as needed. He carries about himself an aura of leadership that tends to quell anyone's desires to question him.

Mod Note:

This location is no self-moderation allowed. Each and every post needs to be moderated! Thank you.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ulric on December 17th, 2010, 9:02 pm

52nd of Winter, 510 AV
Let’s see how this goes, Ulric sighed. He pushed open the doors of the reception and blinked, his eyes adjusting the sudden deluge of brightness – a panoply of oranges, reds, greens, and blues that shone through an intricate fresco of stained glass. Its splendor was such that he stood a few moments in breathless silence, his dark eyes captivated by the vibrancy of this chamber, by its beauty and seeming fragility in the midst of these ominous, snow-capped crags. Ulric had not encountered a sight like this before. It had nothing of the dark, brooding beauty of the temple in Ravok, or the cyclopean sprawl of Syliras – and certainly none of Nyka’s plain elegance. Karjin, too, held no similarities. In the past few seasons, Ulric had come to realize that the world was a big place, and that he was no more significant than a speck of dust on the wind.

Coming to his senses, he strode across the chamber and sat on one of the couches, mindful of the plush cushions. Do we really have need of such comforts? Ulric wondered. He was a man of simple pleasures, and he felt distinctly ill at ease in this chamber. As he waited for an audience, he reached a hand into his tunic and took out his flute, which he absently began to polish on his sleeve.
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Leo Varniak on December 18th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Timestamp: 52nd day of Winter, shortly after Ulric's arrival

His clothing, while not entirely out of place in Syliras, would have seemed too light for Kalea's winter weather, but then again fire ran through his veins and it was at times like this that it made itself most useful. Not to mention that he only owned two changes of clothes, all in drab colors like his current shirt and pants. Leo Zaital enjoyed the colorlessness, but not in fear of displeasing others with stronger tints. It was him who found them tasteless. Wind Reach had plenty of color, starting from the heads of its inhabitants, and his lack thereof wouldn't make much of a difference.

The journey at sea had taken a toll on him, and while he had never been fat, he'd gotten gaunter from the experience. He was glad he'd touched land again. The sea was no place for him, a man of Ivak. Wind Reach struck him as a strangely familiar place, if nothing else because of the volcano. Leo thought he could sense it underneath his feet, a low rumble that made his toes feel funny. Of course, it could have been just his imagination, but something inside suggested it was not. He was thousands of miles away from the place he was born, and he'd left on little more than a gut feeling and a strange report from Glav. He could only hope his gut - or Glav's - was trustworthy.

Having been told that he needed to be assigned to a "caste" if he was to eat in this place, he'd found his way to what looked like a mix of a scenic vista and an administrative office. It was surprising that someone even spoke his language around here, on the other end of Mizahar. In truth, what little he'd found out about Wind Reach had left him uneasy. Groups of people being segregated and all but enslaved depending on their ability to acquire a giant eagle, or lack thereof. Entire castes basically above the order of natural law as they could impose any harshness on their underlings. You could call it many names, but dancing around the word 'slavery' was just a matter of courtesy. A slave to a social group as opposed to an individual was no less of a slave - perhaps more so.

"A familiar face at last," he said by way of greeting to Ulric, who had beaten him to the Valintar. He added nothing more as he hadn't decided yet if that was good news or not. Ulric had made himself responsible of some reckless actions at sea, to use an understatement. Leo may have suspended judgment on his companions while the quest lasted, but he never forgot. He ignored the couches and instead killed some time inspecting the stained glass of the atrium and finding it to his liking. Intriguing, that such hardy folk should indulge a hobby so frail and pretty.

Leo Varniak
It was a pleasure to burn

Words: 426121
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (2)
Donor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on December 19th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Torc entered the stain glass atrium of the valintar’s office and stood for a moment looking at the stain glass. The glass held small swirls from the mold that it was poured into. However, Torc could see the glass held no bubbles and that glassworker had done a fine job of mixing the different pigments, giving the brown feathers an almost natural streaking that lent itself to feathers. The soldering of the joints was marvelous, Torc ran his hand over the joints feeling the almost polished smoothness of the solder. He the solder didn’t hold any imperfections, swirls of white or blue in it, the metalsmith that had mixed the batch had done a fine job.

“Ulric and Leo…” Torc whispered. “look at this window, my friends. Look there are no imperfections in the glass, the stain is streaked, while the surface texture flows with it, and the joints look like the hardly needed polishing.” Torc for a moment looked around at the glass window and all the scenes it displayed. There were subtlities in everything, and the whole had been placed with each piece carefully thought of. “I must admit, the small waves in the texture help to give it dimenision and balance. Just like an artists brush, the lines tend to lend motion to the piece. I almost wish I knew reimancy, if I had a talent for stone I would began etch work in the frame, flowing the stone around it to expand the window scene. However, since the window is bright and a center piece, you would have to give the outside scene a darker theme to counterpoint it, like a battle or darken landscapes.”

Torc thought about the mural. In his mind, he wanted the window to punch out with brightness compared to the stone walls. Yet he wanted the eyes to ease into the transition of the wall, instead of the blank stone being next to a master work piece of glass.Shaking his head and went back over to a stone bench and sat down, thinking that during the winter, reimancers wouldn’t have much else to do but to work the stone.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Vala on February 18th, 2011, 3:28 am

2nd day of Winter, 510 AV

Vala walked, trying to be confident, into the Valintar. Her birthday was only one short season away: with her old master dead, she needed a new master, soon. A fear gnawed somewhere inside, and no matter how unfounded and ridiculous, she was still afraid of being classified as a lowly...dek, she couldn't even think of the word without flinching.

Vala had decided to come visit Kaden in the morning, a little after breakfast time. She had managed to down a piece of bread and fruit while watching to cooks work: she wanted to try her hand at some of the work but she was still a little intimidated by Chef Davoid to ask if he needed another hand.

The hall is empty except for the small girl. She finally makes her way to Kaden's office door. It is unbarred and slightly ajar; Vala can hear birds chirping within. She closes her eyes, tight, and knocks hesitantly. She knew she could just walk in, but it just didn't feel right to just barge in. "Kaden, sir?" She asked, her voice managed to stay strong and clear, not cracking, as she had expected.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Teros Staff Vizerian on June 22nd, 2011, 1:50 am

(5th of Summer)

Teros felt very out of place in the reception area of where by all accounts of what he heard it was where he should go to find his place, and hopefully a job. The caste system was still very hazy to him though, and he wasn't quite sure he understood it right, but to him it was good, and kept those who were useless on their own doing things useful for the people actually there to do something. Already the city itself had won him over, but while it still wasn't as great as Sultros, the little bits that where extraordinary he hoped to learn and bring back to his city one day to make it that much better, and closer to its former glory. It also by happened to be within the mountains as well and made its way by surviving as such, it made him a bit more comfortable in this city that was all so foreign to him, and although he could do without being surrounded by so many people so different to him, he could bear it for the time being. The thing that made him feel awkward was the fact that he was sitting in a room made of glass, and the couch he sat half buried in was too soft for comfort. The fact that he did not know what was supposed to happen was the only thing that kept him planted in his seat, and blankly he stared forward in front of him, letting his imagination spiral onwards with the swirls in the glass until something happened that drew his attention.
Teros Staff Vizerian
Player

Words: 13064
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2011, 3:43 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kikue on November 6th, 2011, 1:16 pm

3rd day of Fall
It had been a long while since this Avora had last visited the Valintar. It was when she got appointed to the position she currently had. But back then, her master was still alive. He had offered her to stay at his place during the winters, since she didn't like having her own room when she'd be away the whole time.

Well, that was what brought the woman here today. Since her master had taken on a new apprentice, he couldn't take her in for the winter anymore. It was a big pain in the butt for her, because a room required you to sleep there and at least maintain it to a certain degee. She had to admit that for the winter it would come in handy, as she couldn't go out and camp then.

Besides that, she was also there to discuss an instructor for the Talon sword. She and Rista had made a promise with each other to learn together. Rista mainly because she was just interested in it, but Kikue because she wanted to become an instructor for it. She had found that being one was a lot of fun. Seeing one get better at what you teach felt much more rewarding then going out to hunt.
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Kikue
Avora Huntress

Words: 42025
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on November 7th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Kaden's office, naturally, was always open if he was there. Kikue would find the door giving and could swing it open and waltz right in. Kaden was at his desk, frowning over a ledger and bathed in the deep light of evening streaming through his stained glass windows. Unlike most of Wind Reach, the Valintar's office was on the ground floor and partially built outside so to soften the harsh stone walls almost everyone else enjoyed in their quarters - without windows. Kaden's place was three walls of windows and an atrium like ceiling also of stained glass.

Eagles flew everywhere across the glass, frozen in their glory, mastering the sky and mountains they soared over.

When she arrived, Kaden lifted his head, furrowed his brow as if searching for a name, then nodded. "Kikue. Hello. What brings you here today?" He asked, smiling politely.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kikue on November 7th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Kikue walked, well as well as she could, over to the office of a man she'd rather avoid. Ofcourse he was easy to talk to, but his aura made her feel like a kid each time she saw him again. But she just put those feelings aside as she came there with a purpose. There was no need to feel like that again, she hoped.

Pushing into his office, still limbering a little from the pain of her sprained ankle, she just couldn't help but be amazed yet again by the grandeur of Kaden's office. She felt a little jealous of him, but ofcourse she couldn't say that outright. After all, he was the leader of the Inarta and deserved this office. Each of the details on the windows just spoke to her, saying she should fly out. Another thing she was jealous of, those eagles, free to go where they wanted.

But she got shook up from her small daydream as Kaden spoke to her. "Oh yes, I'm here to discuss a possible trainer in the Talon sword. I'd love to get more proficient in it, as does the Yasi Rista. Besides that, I'm going to need a room. Unlike when I got appointed to the rank of Avora, I now don't have housing anymore for the winter. Right now, I've sprained my ankle, so I would like to meet the instructor later on.", she started. "I just hope that won't be too much of a problem.", the small Avora then quickly added.

OOCOh, goss, it's evening right now xD. It's my fault a little actually, should've told so in the previous post.
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Kikue
Avora Huntress

Words: 42025
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on November 11th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Kaden nodded. "Well, as you know we have no 'set' trainers here in Wind Reach. We have those that are really good with Talen Swords that may or may not teach you, but they are under no obligation to do so. I'd be up to you to convince them to take on a student. Shubre_Dyson comes to mind. She's an earth Reimancer who also is very proficient at the Talon Sword. However, you'll need to talk to her yourself. She does take student's on, but I do not know at what exchange if any." Kaden said, nodding.

Kaden frowned. "So tell me, why do you need housing again? Are you not an Avora now? I'm afraid I'm unaware of your situation and why you'd have housing just vanish. Did someone die?" He asked, curious.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next