Closed Things That go Bump in the Night (Wrenmae)

[The Courtyard] After the encounter with the ghostly priest, Rayage takes Wrenmae to learn the art of Spiritsim.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Things That go Bump in the Night (Wrenmae)

Postby Rayage on November 28th, 2012, 4:45 am

Fall 47 512 AV

The silence in the lab was unfounded. Not a living thing there to disturb him, not even Wrenmae. The wizard had sent the other out on a little errand, to fetch some books on a particular magic called Spiritism. Little did Wrenmane know however is that Rayage had already sent for the books and they had arrived. This chore was just to get some alone time without just sending him out. Normally the nuit wouldn’t have any problem with just bluntly telling the other wizard to get the heck out, but for some reason this way was more tactful. At least in the alchemists eyes that is.

Sitting at his desk the nuit stared at the blank parchment before him, the emptiness almost intimidating him, daring him to write something, but it would take a lot more than just paper to scare Ray into non-action. A slight shift of thought was all that’s needed to regain perspective on the situation. He needed to gather his thoughts, and the blank page was the perfect place to put them. The blank page was not intimidating, but inviting, welcoming the wizard to use it to write the notes of what he will. This paper would be special amongst his collection for he would not be recording alchemical notes, but ones on the basics of spiritism, and of what he had learned in Sunberth about ghosts.

There wouldn’t be much, the nuit thought as quill dipped into inkwell, his thoughts now strong and coherent enough to record on paper, but that is why he had sent for the books. A soft smile spread on his face as he felt the tip of the quill make its first scratches on the paper. It was a precious resource, the paper, and one that needn’t be wasted. His thoughts would be short, but precise on his observations on ghosts and the subject of spiritism. After all these would be his cliffnotes, along with the books, in which he would attempt to introduce Wrenmae in the new world magic. The alchemist half wondered if the other already knew about it, but he banished the thought from his mind as that was impossible. They would have done more than just run from that dira priest if he had, and he wouldn’t have been so helpless against the spirit, like they all were.

The thoughts of that night frustrated the wizard. For as capable as all of them were, Ray and his allies, they were all but helpless against the ghosts. There was a threat to them after all, and that was the servants of death, and the worthless spirits that dwell on Mizahar. The alchemist had no way of harming them. The alchemist was so weak against them. The alchemist had to stop thinking about it, as Ray returned to reality he found his hand was shaking so much that some of the words were malformed, deformed by fear itself. The fear of death. Death was something he had been running from for many, many years, and it was from death he wished to escape. Obviously this nuit form was not the best way, but until a suitable alternative presents itself, then he would remain that way for better or for worse.

Last edited by Rayage on November 11th, 2013, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wrenmae on November 28th, 2012, 4:49 am

"What do you mean the books are gone?" Switching from his weight on one foot to the next, Wrenmae narrowed his eyes at the pulser at the library that offered only an apologetic shrug in reply. "Do you know who took them? For how long? Damnit man! Don't go about acting like an example for why we're treated so poorly!"

His face darkened, and the pulser raised a quick hand toward Wren's throat, the pale beginnings of a purple res dusting his fingertips. Wren met him halfway with his blade, drawn and teasing his Adam's apple, finally causing the pulser to drop his hand and sigh, leaning back against the library table.

"Fast, aren't you? But Master Rayage called for these books not more than a bell ago. Maybe if you were as fast at retrieving information as you were at your blade, you might have beaten the runner."

Wren resisted the urge to drive the blade through his ruddy neck, turning on his heel and marching back through the halls of Sahova. Of course Rayage would call for the books before Wren could retrieve them...wasn't that JUST like the smug nuit. Ever since they had met, Rayage had been warming up to Wren in different ways. It seemed, though, that the first thing to return was his sense of humor, sardonic and pointless as it was.

He pushed open the doors to Rayage's laboratory with a bang and stood in the portal, glowering at the wizard who had already begun setting up a lesson table, the books easily visible.

"Do you think, perhaps, I am getting indolent that you send me off on these pointless errands?" He strode toward the table with the books, muttering, "Let us hope that Spiritism is somehow triggered by annoyance, because I assure you if that is the case I shall be the master of this particular discipline so long as I remain in your service!"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on January 11th, 2014, 12:48 pm

The master was having a grand time preparing for Wrename. Books were in order on a desk and notes were specifically written out. It would not be the most formal lesson ever, but it would have to suffice. After all, Ray is no master in Spiritism, and for the most part he would be learning too. However, he had enough time to prepare instruction on how to make soulmist. He hadn’t learned much about Spiritism in Sunberth, but it was a surprise that he learned the art in the place that hated magic most.

Dropping the quill into the inkwell the nuit admired his work, and as if on cue the door to his lab burst open with much force and in came a rather annoyed Wremnae. Turning to face the man the nuit did not flinch upon hearing his words, and in fact smiled, ”Wrenmae, everything I have you do is for your own good.” the nuit explained to him calmly, ”You have been wise to listen to me and keep the truth about your powers hidden, and you have been smart to do these small favors I ask you. It is not healthy for a living thing to be cooped up in a lab for days on end.” Rayage tried to sound like he had the man’s best interest in mind, ”People grow restless, and in that restlessness grow adventurous. I wouldn’t want you to do anything that would put us as risk. Not while you are in my service. So, I busy your mind and body every now and then. Is that really so bad?’ he asked.

”It is much safer for you here this way… I can use my political connections, you can learn magic from books, we both win.”

”However there is something that cant be just taught through books, Wrenmae.” the wizard said, ”And that is class.” he laughed to himself, with a smile he kept on, ”Some people have it, other do not. Wizards nowadays are horribly lacking. This includes you. You think that just wielding djed is what makes a wizard, commanding powers otherwise unreachable? You would be horribly wrong.”

”A wizard, a true wizard, has certain skills and a mindset to get the job done. One of the basic wizard tools is knowledge of the Ancient Tongue, Nadar Canoch. In Sahova, you will not get very far without some knowledge of the language. As you could see in the library, everything is written in that language. I wonder, how proficient are you in that language?”

”If you will let me, Wrenmae, I can teach you how to be a philosophical and respectable wizard,” the ancient nuit offered, ”Not only will you be learning spiritism from me and these books, but, together, we will be rediscovering a lost culture since the Valterrian. Wizard Culture, that is.” he told him, ”Back in ancient Alahea Wizards used to be in a class of their own. As with any social class there were standards and etiquette. And although the magic of today is but a shadow of what it once was, even with the known disciplines much knowledge has been lost. Magic has been reformed to a brutal and protohuman primacy.” Rayage did not sound too happy about that, and although Ray might be exaggerating a bit… he did have a point, at least in his mind.

”Much has been forgotten. Thank the gods for Sahova at least.”

”If you have no interest in such subjects, please say so.” Rayage told him, ignoring the annoyed looks he was given, ”And we can just learn Spiritism as is intended.”

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wrenmae on January 13th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Wren breathed through his nose, tense, shattering sounds that telegraphed his annoyance far better than a simple explanation. But as Rayage explained his reasoning, the breathing slowed and calmed. Wren's expression hadn't changed, but the urge to shake the nuit around by his wrinkly neck had been quelled in a darker corner of Wren's mind.

Instead he waited for Rayage to finish his offer, crossing his arms tighter against his narrow chest and raising a hand, pointing to a finger. The same finger on Rayage's hand held one of the Sahovan wizard rings. "And here I thought wizard meant 'furnished slave', considering how Sahova holds onto you." Tracing a finger across the open books, Wrenmae walked around the table to where Rayage, stood, never letting his eyes leave the writing scrawled across the old pages. Some of it was in nader canoch, bits of it he could read...he knew enough to know that much of the language was spoken, and based in inflection. Writing it only outlined the terms...one had to almost know the writer to truly understand what was being written. "I read about Sahovan wizards, Rayage. They hold onto their own and the ones who run they hunt down. Certainly there's enough magical might here to level a city, so they keep their charges in line with the threat of eradication. Given that most nuits take the undead path to AVOID the cessation of life, I gather there isn't a long history of those who rose against Sahova or tried to run with research."

He picked up one of the books, scanning the language before setting it down again, turning on Rayage with a thin smile. "I'm aware of my talents. Someone with my control over certain magics would be recruited or destroyed by the nuits on the island. If we're speaking purely politically, keeping me under the guise of a simple Pulsar gives you a secret weapon if you ever need to go up against another wizard...or perhaps you're simply sparing me from their no doubt insistence I take up an existence similar to yours to preserve that natural spark of talent that's allowed me the control I have."

Wren shrugged. "Call that arrogant, if you like, but I'm actually fine at the bottom rung. I can still leave of my own volition and the nuits won't consider that a loss at all. By virtue of my association with you, I am too valuable to become a vessel and worthless enough to retain my freedom."

He nodded once. "That suits me, I think...but to consider the matter at hand, consider me ready for instruction..." Wren grinned, "Professor."

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)