Closed A Sailors Life For Me!

Kavala and Riaris attempt to teach themselves how to sail.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on March 4th, 2013, 5:49 pm

It was astonishing really how happy she felt. Riaris made her happy in ways she couldn't even begin to describe. With him everything was so easy. Talking to him was easy. Enjoying his body was fantastically easy. There was no angst, no background issues of race or longevity. He never once hinted that there was anything wrong with her or that being Konti was something of a burden or inferior. Instead, he treated her like a treasure and it filled her up with an alien emotion that overflowed from her while she was with him; contentment. She barely knew him. They'd had a day together, one night, and now this sailing trip. But she understood inherently suddenly the words of her mother, Vanator's mother, and even of the rest of the women of their pavilion when they'd been talking about love and life and how men fit into their worlds.

Her mother used to tell her, and the other women always backed this, that when when a relationship was meant to be it was always easy. It was so simply easy that the other joining her life would augment it, not cause added problems and hiccups. There should not be screaming, yelling, violence, angst, or insurmountable obstacles. Being with the right person should just feel right. And that it was okay to love, okay to give people bits of your heart, but when it came to whom and what one decided to pull into their lives in a permanent manner, this feeling... this overwhelming feeling that consumed Kavala.. should be first and foremost considered.

She left her hand on his arm as he put her down, deciding that tending the boat might be a better priority. He had no idea how much his words effected her, and she turned her face away from him to stare out across the sea. She'd never met the family of any Akalaks other than a father who had negotiated a contract for his son back when she was a Nakivak. Not one. No one had ever taken her home to meet their family and no one had certainly been eager to do so.

"I would really like to meet them, your family that is. If they are anything like you, I would be glad to call them friends." She said simply, not trusting her voice, though she did turn towards him so that he would not miss her hearing words if the wind took them elsewhere. The wind snagged at her hair and ruffled her shirt, but she stood against the harshness of it anyhow, not feeling cold even though it was winter. Something inside her was warm, very warm, and it brought a soft smile to her face even as she glanced back up at the rigging.

About his other words, his pledge, she said nothing. She could not trust herself to say anything. For the first time in her life the Konti was speechless. And she knew suddenly and hopelessly that she was in trouble. This man before her was a gift, ordered straight from the gods and delivered gift-wrapped in her favorite color. A white scaled hand, webbing splayed wide, reached up and rubbed at her temple, pushing her dancing hair out of her eyes. Her other hand, which had remained on him, gripped him tighter and she turned back to look at him. Riaris was playful, jovial in that moment, his ease and relaxation surprised her. She knew he was Kuvay'Nas, and a fierce fighter but in that moment he looked almost like a simple good friend. He was neither protective or assertive, even though she was being incredibly serious.

He looked on the verge of laughing at her, as if he found her somehow funny or adorable. And it was infectious. She tilted her head to one side, grinned, released her grip on his arm and leaned forward and up to kiss him on the lips quickly. "I don't think I have a choice... about accepting you I mean. How could any woman refuse?" She asked, smiling suddenly. Kavala was a serious person. She'd been through incredibly dark times in the last four years. It had molded her into someone who laughed rarely and worried too frequently, but that was hard to do around him.

Very hard.

And the boom taking him to task for his inattention to the sailing made it even harder. She laughed abruptly, surprising even herself, and stepped out of the way of it as it swung around again. "Lets sail to an island I know of, off the coast of The Sanctuary, north of here a few miles. We'll learn and tend to the boat as we sail. Then once there we can tend to each other and get it out of our system for a bit. Because as much as I hate to admit it, the time away was too long, and you are far too distracting. Then, we can sail home and hopefully have the boat turned in well within its rental allotment." She said, making plans for them if he agreed. Kavala was, surprisingly, all for a quick tryst in the boat, but there were far more comfortable and private options that allotted to a goal available.

And before she turned away from him to snap up the book and read further, she wondered suddenly if she'd ever get enough of him. She hoped profusely that she would not. The thought made her smile.

Kavala flipped open the book and began reading aloud in Tukant, dropping her common in favor of Riaris' native tongue. The book was written in the Akalak language anyhow, making translating it as she went difficult. Kavala turned her head towards Riaris, making sure to pitch her voice so he could hear her words as well. She settled in, letting him tend the boat as she played at being an instructor though she had little knowledge in such things. "It says here there are different kinds of boats, their designs, and whatnot for various sailing conditions and locations. Listen to this..." She said, running her finger down the length of the pages, glad her shielding was keeping it dry from the periodic wind gusts that brought sea spray. "He is reluctant and says its beyond his parameter and scope to describe in detail every sailing vessel out there, but that we can divide them into classes and general types based on what sailing we are doing. Local prejudices... I think that means opinions.... rule strong in all parts of the world that the rig, size, and model of a boat are defined by the customs of the people sailing them. But I think hes talking about customs being traditions AND being perhaps the types of waters they are doing their sailing in. His wording is strange.... as if the author is from some other land and Tukant isn't his native tongue." Kavala said, speaking Riaris' language, though when reading she often got a word wrong here and there, much like one of his younger siblings would have.

"Okay, so for bays, sounds, harbors and inland tidal waters connected to the sea, the sailing vessel should be of a shoal model, and what is termed the center board principle, or usually the sloop rig. For ponds and small lakes of fresh rain, the boat should always be of a good beam, light draught, and small sail because he says winds from unexpected quarters like neighboring hillsides and valleys are almost always effecting the sail." Kavala laughed and read on. "He claims you must be a far better sailor to sail land-locked ponds and lakes where the rain is fresh ...." She obviously kept getting the Tukant word for Rain and Water mixed up. "... than you do to be sailing the kind of sailing we are doing today because of the fact the sea has steady winds and is far more predictable than air movements on land. I would have never thought that." She said, looking amused and surprised all at once.

She flipped the page and continued reading, letting Riaris watch the sails which really needed no tending. They were already headed out of the bay and would only need to turn right and head north once they cleared the bay.

"For places where the tidal currents are strong, outside of coastal waters, the wind may sweep across the water for miles and kick up the sea. In such cases you need a deep keel model - a schooner or cutter. This type of design is a better class being considered superior in working to windward and in a heavy sea. Lighter craft simply get tossed around a dangerous amount. I think that means my catamaran will be suitable for coastal sailing, but eventually we'll need a real ship if we want to explore the entire Suvan." Kavala said, leaning back against the mast, making herself comfortable.

"Sailors call these deep keel models sharpies because the center of gravity is deeper and it cuts deeply into the sea as it sails. There is a disadvantage to this though, because the deep keels can get caught on shoals in rough water and one might have to wait hours to get floated free of them. Shoal boats have a center board that is flexible and can be adjusted so your draw can go from say six feet.... draw being how deep you are in the water... to a mere foot in just a few moments due to the shoal boats flexibility. But they aren't as tough. Not nearly as tough. So the author cautions, I suppose, to pick your posion and know the advantages and disadvantages of both." She said softly, licking her lips and turning the page.

"He goes on to talk more and more about the differences, but in essence that's what he means repeatedly. He just gives scenarios and situations. Let me explain." Kavala quickly listed off the circumstances where one or another of the designs were advantageous or at a disadvantage until both of them had a fairly good idea of shoal sailing ships verses deep keeled cutters and schooners.

"Now... he talks about rigging them and advantages and disadvantages and what each sail technically does. Want to hear about that? I do. I know the sail names, but I'm not sure what exactly each one does. Ohhh! And then he goes into knots and how to tie them." Kavala kicked a knee up, bent it at a comfortable angle, and balanced the book on it. She looked completely at ease and as if she was having the absolute time of her life.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on March 10th, 2013, 11:35 pm

"I'm sure they will take to you well enough, and maybe you can even bring Tasival and Shayru along with you? He seemed interested in meeting Johan, and I can imagine she would like him also." Riaris also imagined that Kavala might feel more at ease around his mother who was also a konti. His father much like himself had a flare for her kind, and so he was already sure that he would approve and welcome her. "We don't have to rush, if you'd rather spend more time on us."

He was sure that he knew the answer to that question already. By this point Kavala had to know that Riaris enjoyed her company a lot, like a lush enjoying a bottle of his favor wine, Riaris would always drink the konti to excession. He almost chuckled when she spoke of not having a choice to refuse him. She was good with words, and always said kind things. He was still a stranger to her and letting her down wasn't a thought that he liked to entertain. "You say that easily now while we are still strangers, I just hope that feeling stays long after we've known each other."

Another intimate moment hared by the couple, however it was ruined by the boom which caused Kavala to laugh out loud. Riaris chuckled, realizing that he might have been a bit too sure of his boat sailing talents to attempt the their embrace for as long and he had. "Let's be off then and push this thing for all it's worth." He reluctantly moved away from the blond beauty and reset himself to the task of steering them.

Riaris nodded to her suggestion about going to an island for more alone time. She was certainly adventurous and Riaris found that very appealing. He could already imagine exploring the island and then exploring his companion once again. He had to agree, it had been far too long since the last they saw each other and he missed their closeness. "Sounds like a solid plan, and what better place for another personal venture." he chuckled to himself knowing that Kavala understood what he meant. He went to work again, steering the boat to head them north towards the island that she spoke of.

"Is this island used often? Have you traveled there much?" He was curious about this, as well as wanting to know if they would be disturbed. Although he had no problem with public displays of affection, he hoped to explore new wants and desires with Kavala, things that were better done in private. "I'll make a guess and say that we will be dinning before...or afterwards." he smiled as he glanced towards her. She was such a stunning beauty, and easy to get along with. If he didn't know better he would have guessed that they were meant for each other.

"That's an interesting book you have there, I may have to read it again myself." he fell silent then and listened as she continued to read from it. This part of the book was knowledge that he already had in limited sources. He knew about different types of boat and that they were used for different things. But the book was more detailed to a point and of things he made sure to take mental notes of. He found it cute the way she mixed the words Rain and Water, but he didn't comment. When coming from a soothing voice, most things sounded good.
The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on March 31st, 2013, 7:26 pm

She blinked at him, smiled slightly, and shook her head. "No, it would mean the world to me to meet your family. I... have never had a man ask me to meet his kin. It's an honor. The Drykas... I was raised Drykas... we are very close to our family. The more of them we have the more comfortable we are. I'm really glad you are from a big family as well... Konti and Akalak to boot. And that you have Akontak's in your bloodline as well. Tasi is special, you know? He needs others of his race around him. He talked so early, so completely, and it scares me sometimes how smart he is. I think he'd really like meeting your sister. And maybe if I got to know your mom, she'd have some advice for raising them. I know... they are of our blood, but they are something so much more too. I want to do the best for him. And sometimes that takes experience I don't have." She said, looking thoughtfully at Riaris. Since their first night together, she'd suspected he'd not mind if she had another child. They'd done nothing to prevent one. But she didn't want another fatherless son or daughter. She was firm about that. And even now, out sailing, she might be carrying a son or daughter for the Akalak. It was far to early for her to tell.

"I say that now with confidence... and certainty. Don't worry. None of us are perfect, Riaris, but I already feel so comfortable around you. But just because I'm comfortable doesn't mean I'm putting you on a pedestal. That would be unfair. Besides, it's going to be fun getting to know you and learning all your quirks and all your flaws along with your strengths. I have quite a few of both myself."
She added, trying to reassure him. He didn't look afraid or uncomfortable, but something about what he said made her wonder if he'd been rejected before or why he was still alone at his age. True he wasn't exactly old, but most Akalaks started trying to pair up as soon as their voice dropped at puberty and they started filling out.

But he moved the conversation onwards. Truthfully, he didn't like talking about himself so much. She'd noticed that immediately. When asked, he'd answer straight but he rarely volunteered.

And if he was saying what she thought he was saying, they were headed straight to another liaison that could get her with child if their first session hadn't. Perhaps that was his hope. She hadn't asked him about it yet. But she certainly wouldn't mind another child, especially having one close to Tasival and Shayru's age. She too wanted a big family, having been brought up in a culture where females that had children had more value than those that remained childless. To her, the more children Kavala had the more she validated her survival in this life. And the Konti knew if she had one for Riaris, it would raise the males in his family in status and bring him honor. Absently, her hand splayed down across her abdomen while the free arm clutched at the book she was reading.

"It's name is Reverie Isle. It's virtually unknown. It's directly off the shore of Sanctuary. I've been there a great deal. I built it. It was... a recovery project for me, to help hone my reimancy. I... designed it for a retreat, a place to get away. I've never taken anyone there." She said softly, looking slightly uncomfortable really telling him the truth. She didn't want to seem like she was bragging, and she didn't want to scare him off. But sooner or later Rarias would need to know she was something of a mage... not a good one.. but a mage nonetheless.

She grinned when he said they should push the little ship and nodded. "Do it. I think the wind will let us." She said, settling back in and flipping through the book to where the masts were listed. "Most masts are called 'spars' which I think kinda refers to anything that sticks out of the boat or off it." She said, flipping a page, pointing out a diagram, and then glancing at their own little vessel.

"So this is the mainmast. Its always two-thirds of the boats length from the stern. It holds the mainsail, Riaris... which are held on by those hoops. It also holds the main topmast, which is the cross piece up there." Kavala pointed, then followed the topmast with her eyes. "It helps support the mainmast too. The ball at the top is called the truck which has little wheels on it.. see them? Those are the sheaves, which you feed the rope through.. the signal halliard lines, which fly the flags you hoist. Oh I get it... look see there?" She said, then got up to rumage at a small box fashioned to the deck of the ship at the mainmast. IT was filled with various flags that she went through curiously. "Look at all these flags. I wonder what they all mean. I'll have to look it up next time we are on shore." She added, moving around a bit again.

"Okay that spar also serves to hold the gaff topsail, which you raise and lower by more hoops encircling the spar. You raise and lower it from the top unlike the other sails." She said pointing, flipping her page and holding it tighter as the wind picked up. It was obvious Riaris was playing with the sails and angling it so the boat could catch the wind and race across the water even faster. "That other one there is the jib boom. It extends beyond the bowspiritand it supports the mainmast and main topmast. Those hoists are flying jibs....and those are the stays." The konti said, starting to get a hang of the sailing lingo. "That piece is the main gaff, which sustains and stretches the head of hte mainsail... and that's the main boom... which receives and stretches the foot of the mainsail." Kavala said, looking amused. Riaris seemed to learn best by just doing things, while Kavala had to get all the technical stuff down pat before she felt comfortable.

They rounded the corner of the headlands, leveled out, and were racing northward parallel to the cost with a speed she found astonishing. "Are we supposed to be going this fast?" She asked, clutching at the side of the boat and closing the distance between where they started and Reverie Isle. At this rate they'd be there in no time. Sailing back, however, against the wind might be harder.

After a few moments of the rapid sailing, Kavala settled down and grew used to the excitement a bit - and opened her book again.

She made a note too that the head of the sail was the part that fastened to the gaff while the foot was the part of the sail that fastened to the boom. That made sense. This information she took a moment to relay to Riaris. "Oh more terminology.... besides the foot and gaff there is the outer-leach or after-leach, and that's the part of the sail that extends from the end of the gaff to the boom.. and the inner-leach or luff, which is the part of hte sail that extends from the gaff to the boom and is confined by the mainmast by hoopsthat allow the sail to be raised and lowered at will.' The konti said, chuckling.

"Am I boring you yet"
She asked, from her perch on the small wooden seat near him.

"Because i have more to tell. Clews, reef points, the whole book is filled with information!"
Kavala said, closing it for a moment, standing unsteadily and walking across the deck to slip an arm partially around his waist where he was at messing with the sails. She leaned her face into the hollow space of his back between his shoulder blades and dropped a kiss there. It was partially an apology for all the fancy wording, and partially just because she wanted to stand with him and enjoy the wind.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on April 8th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Rirais stayed silent when Kavala first spoke, he could tell that it meant a lot to her and didn't interrupt while she spoke on her feelings. Family was surely important as they both felt, but he didn't feel as much pressure meeting hers than it seemed that she felt for meeting his. He agreed with her about the Akontaks, he thought the world of his sisters and he was liking Tasi more and more. "They are special, and I'm sure that my mother will adore you. I can't say much about her teaching methods, but you can discuss those with her." He finished with a smile.

Kavala was a talker and at times it seemed that she was speaking of wisdom beyond both their ages. It wasn't a surprise of why her son was so smart at such a young age. He attempted to sooth her worry, as much of a serious person he could be, she was just as must so, maybe even more. "You speak as if you have worry? It's a natural thing to do, but you don't have to push yourself with me." He smiled a moment as he paused and thought over his next words. "We have a lot of..excitement here in Riverfall, I dare say that some quiet time without any fuss or worries is deserved."

Riaris hadn't had the best of luck when it came to women. He had met and courted before, but nothing ever came out of it and it never lasted long. He had imagined it was because of his very serious nature and his commitment with training himself all the time that ran them off. But It seemed that Kavala wasn't the same, or perhaps he had changed himself a bit to try and keep her around. When it came to his past, there were things that he'd rather not speak of with her just yet. Some of things he had done weren't good and some down right viscous and he didn't want to risk scaring her off, and so he moved the conversation on.

It was an interesting and comfortable relationship they were building. They talked about a lot but much still remained unsaid, and for the time it seemed that neither minded this. Riaris surely didn't time wasn't something that worried him in some cases and whenever he had the time free from fighting and away from danger, he liked to spend it doing simple things. As much as he enjoyed a good fight, he hadn't learn, or wanted to put it together with what he did with the Konit. He did however, find himself smirking at the thought of wrestling the tiny blonde but that wasn't the same.

The Akalak's pointy ears prickered when she mentioned her use of magic. It wasn't a huge surprise, although it wasn't something that many of his kind practiced there were those human and otherwise who did so. But it was interesting to learn just how much she had used it and what she could do. "You are full of surprises Kavala, a mage, does your family practice magic as well?" He didn't do much talk of magic and when it came up, he was more interested in the user than the art itself. "Magic can be fascinating..but it's not something I wish to learn."

It was back to sailing now as Riaris worked curiously with the sails to allow them to catch the wind and pick up more speed. He glanced back towards his lovely companion as she read through the book more and pointed out things for him to take note of. It was interesting learning now to sail and learning the terms and such that he had yet to learn. Still, he found it hard to keep his eyes off Kavala. The woman was already a sight to see, and with the wind blowing through her hair it..excited him more.

He continued to head them along the way and as more wind got behind them, their speed also increased. Riaris glanced back with a smile as Kavala stated her worries aloud. "I know you're not afraid of a little speed." He chuckled loudly. "Not to worry, we are doing just fine." He was really enjoying himself and couldn't believe that he waited until now to learn about sailing. It at all possible he would do this again and again, hopefully with Kavala at his side. "No continue, even if the subject is boring..." he glanced back with a smirk and continued along the way.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on April 15th, 2013, 7:56 am

She glanced up at him sharply, even as the boat skipped and picked up even more speed. "Boring?! Are you calling me boring?" She asked with a laugh, brushing hair out of her eyes that the wind wind ripped around her head. Kavala shook her head and glanced down at his body.

He was beautiful, even if he was broody and tended to select what he wanted to say carefully with a great deal of forethought. Kavala wanted him, though she tried not to think of it. They were busy, sailing, and the boat was picking up speed... so much so she had to wrap a hand around the tiler even more firmly than before. The healer hoped on this trip she'd get him to open up a bit and relax around her. But the Konti could tell he was still being careful with her, and a small part of her wondered if he was hiding anything or was afraid that what he spoke of or did would not meet her approval.

"My entire clan is filled with mages. I know I've said this before... but my Drykas blood flows strongly within me even though my outside looks so painfully Konti. The Sapphire Clan are known for their reimancers and magic users. There are magics only the Drykas know of and utilize that my family knows of as well. They often encourage their sons to learn their craft, but often the daughters are too busy having babies and tending Pavilions to do so. I'm just lucky I could learn... and that my father realized I'd never make anyone a first or second wife being Konti so I needed other skills - like healing and magic - to make me valuable to the horseclans as perhaps a third or forth wife." Kavala answered honestly. It was painful to say, but she wasn't sure Riaris would understand what she was saying. Being Konti, she was no good to the Drykas as a breeder. She was only good for the other skills she had.

The boat bounced once, harshly, and slipped into a faster slipstream than it had before, letting the wind push it rapidly towards Reverie Isle. In fact, the Isle was clearly in view now to the Konti's sharp gaze. She pointed it out to Riaris. "We'll be there in just a few minutes at this speed. Do you think we should slow down?" Kavala asked, worried they'd overshoot it at their current speed and not sure how to actually stop a sailboat without robbing it of its sails and letting it coast to a stop. She flipped open the book and started frantically searching.

She founded it after skipping a section on knots and ballast. She'd go back to those sections, perhaps even reviewing the knot section on the Isle where she could make use of them on Riaris. A grin fleetingly crossed her face. Soon. They'd be there soon. Kavala was looking forward to being in the big Akalak's arms again. It was quite the change from four years ago when she'd been newly come to Riverfall and afraid of her own shadow and the men that dwelled within the city.

She cleared her throat and her thoughts. "Anchors are important, but they are often overlooked. The anchors themselves and the ropes and chains connecting them are called ground tackle and are just as important as the sails and other gear. Each ship, over twenty five feet in length should have three anchors, or at the very least two. If three are on board, two should be nearly of equal size and one quite small and handy. The smaller anchor is called the Kedge Anchor. Ropes are often woven hemp, but these are recommended by the author to be replaced by iron cable. Cables are easier, and should be chosen over chain due to the fact that chain is more likely to be caught up and extremely difficult to get back on board again once they are deployed. They tend to be too heavy for one person to haul up as well, especially if the ship is anchored in deep water." Kavala said. "For quick anchorages, the rope will do just fine. But again, cable is preferred." She looked around and found only one anchor and frowned. Sure their little ship wasn't twenty five feet long, but it was close and if the author thought three were preferable, then at least the little vessel should have two.

"Rope is no good for lengthy anchors because it can wear against the side of the boat or sunken unseen objects and break. A compromise can be a few fathoms of chain then rope afixed to the chain if one cannot afford the cable. The chain doesn't fray against sharp rocks on the bottom, and the rope is lighter to haul up. What's a fathom?" Kavala asked then flipped to the back of the book to look.

"Oh, here it is. Based on a humans outstretched arm or wingspan, there are two yards or 6 feet in a fathom."
Kavala said, proud of the successful fact finding.

"This author hates chain." Kavala commented. "He makes a point to say that the chain is always a bad idea because the chain is only as strong as its most imperfectly forged link and that sort of thing can weaken the whole chain... resulting in disaster." She said, then seemed to decide to move on. "Anchors should be stowed below deck but retrieved well before use and any tangles or bunching in their cables or chains or ropes removed. You always need a lengthy anchor line. Because everything else being equal, in a gale of wind, whether the ship goes on shore a wreck or gallantly and safely weathers the storm relies on the length of the cable or rope itself." Kavala paused there, caught her breath, then continued onward.

"If a ship is caught in a gale on the lee-shore with no chance of escape to a windbreak, the only safe thing to do is to anchor. Always do this before its too late and the ship is driven too close to the shore or breakers. Never procrastinate. If you are in doubt, anchor and then think things through, before moving on to any additional steps you might want to take. You'll find, according to this book, that it takes longer to anchor than we think... so we need to do it sooner and farther out than we anticipate because if the wind is blowing us towards land, it will keep blowing us towards land while we take the time to anchor... and may get us closer than its safe for us to be. So... keep all the gear ready, and when you think you're ready to anchor, bring the ship into the wind, and let the sails shake in the wind's eye. As soon as the boat goes stem-way, let go the best bower anchor. At this point, you must not snub her too quickly or you can break things on the boat and cause yourself damage. But let a considerable amount of cable run out then take a turn or two around the knights-heads, long before their is any strain, and make sure you haven't underestimated the strain or strength of the ship drifting and pulling in the wind." Kavala said.

"What the heck does that mean? Drop the anchor, leave plenty of line out, more than you think, then sail tethered around the anchor point in a circle to make sure you are clear of everything?"
She asked, thinking that was pretty confusing.

"There's more... Just as soon as you've released the first anchor and it bites, the ship will come and head in a circle, then release the second. These need to be done right after another and quickly. Too often, a sailor just uses one anchor because the weather isn't bad, and as the weather increases, the cable is paid out upon and when a gale hits, and another anchor is needed, the cable cannot be paid out upon because the end of the cable of the first anchor is close at hand. That makes the second anchor useless. So if you toss them out and play their cables out together, then you pay out half the cable, get twice the strength, and are by and large far safer and keep the boat from spinning in circles around an anchor. The trick then is to take the third anchor and before the cable is all paid out on the second anchor, lash the smaller kedge anchor to the second anchor line and pass it around the shank and ring, to the cable of the large anchor. This is called 'backing an anchor' and it strengthens the hold of the first anchor, the second anchor, and all the sails are taken down. If the ship holds well, keep part of the cables still on the ship, and pay out, if necessary,, just to make sure shes' not dragging with no catch to the first or second anchor. Once the ship has dragged a bit, the anchors will become embedded at a good angle and the ship will hold safe through a blow. With one anchor you don't have the safety net nor a fail safe for high winds. So basically, Riaris, with one anchor out here, we're sitting ducks for bad weather. With three we'd be much safer."
Kavala said, noting this with a frown.

"Wow, its a lot to know. I didn't know any of these things. Should we slow down.. since we are getting so close? Kavala went or a quick inspection and laid out the anchor soo the rope was straight and ready to throw. Rope. Not chain or cable. She frowned at this as well.

"So actually stopping... hoist the mainsail, take the gaskets off the jibs, and see that the down-haul is cast off and is clear for hoisting. Then heave away on the cable - either by hand or a windlass - till the anchor has broken out of the ground. You'll know this by the cable doing a quick 'up down'. If there is no tide to act upon the rudder, then before breaking out the anchor, hoist the jib, cast the boat upon the port tack, trim down the jib sheet to pot and shove the main boom well over the starboard quarter. when the boat has a good sheer, trip the anchor and when she has paid off enough, let go the port jib-sheet and trim down the starboard sheet, and haul aft the main boom and proceed on your way." Kavala retold the info for both starting and being on their way again. She stood then, the ship having come close enough to REverie for her taste, and tossed one of the twin anchors over board... putting to practice what she'd just read.

She let the anchor do its work, dragging the ship to a slow stop, and letting it circle around the tether like the book claimed it would do unless she had a second anchor which she did not.

Then she smiled at Riaris... nodded to the Island, and waited for his reaction.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on May 5th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Riaris held back a chuckle, and instead gave his companion a friendly, mischievous glare. The book was boring, but he could imagine that he might find it more interesting if his present company wasn't an amazing, voluptuous woman, who's every desire was now his to explore.

The book was boring but her voice was as soothing as it always had been. When he was around Kavala, the Akalak felt like a young boy again, his adventurous side crawling out of the past and urging him to act on impulse and do what felt good rather than responsible. The book was boring, and as much as he was enjoying sailing, Riaris couldn't wait to arrive at Kavala's island. From what she had said, there were living arrangements there, and maybe they would even stay the night, provided they didn't care about hearing from the boat renter when they finally came back. Riaris wouldn't, he was a defender of the city and if he wanted the boat for another day, he would keep it.

Kavala's story was interesting and proved just how much the Akalak didn't understand about the Drykas. However it wasn't as much a shock, as some Akalak preferred humans to konti woman. He didn't agree with that either, and hearing that Kavala wasn't first wife material didn't help his opinion of the grasslanders. "That must have been difficult. I would have to say that the Drykas are flawed in their reasoning..but then I suppose I should be grateful for it." The boat picked up then, and Riaris smiled, eager to see it pushed to it's limit. This was a new experience, a new type of fun, and he knew that he couldn't find a better partner to share it with.

He followed Kalava's finger as she pointed out the Isle in the distance. It was a welcome sight, and he was more than ready to return to exploring with her. The Akalak wasn't a sailor and so he did what seemed to feel right, and as their speed picked up, he continued with what he had been doing, hoping it would allow them to sail at high speed for a longer time. "Slow down..now?" he said, followed by a hardy laugh. Riaris was enjoying himself too much now to think about slowing down. If they had to over shoot and come back around, he was willing to take that chance. "Aren't you having fun Kavala?"

He chuckled again then listened while she explained more. It was indeed a lot to learn and Riaris realized then that he should take up sailing a lot more so that he could learn it all fully and be able to commit it to memory. He looked back to Kavala as she spoke and he could tell that she was now realizing just how much they needed to learn as well. Riaris hoped that this hadn't changed her mind as he hoped that she would be there with him for the rest of the sailing lessons. "It is a lot to learn, but I think we are doing well, and now that we know more, the next time we will be better prepared and have all the right equipment."

Just as he expected they had come in too hot and so Riaris steered them around, at least enough to allow the boat to slow down before they could do more. By this time Kavala was already letting the anchor down. With this, the Akalak did his part and began messing with the sails again and trimming the sheets as she had told him too. It was a lot to do, and he now understood completely why it took so many people to handle a large ship. He watched as the events placed out as the book had said, and was relieved that nothing had went wrong.

Once they came to a full stop, he now looked out at a wondrous sight of the island that Kavala had told him about, her island. Riaris smiled stepping over to her and pulling the tiny woman into his arms. He stared into her deep blue eyes for a moment and planted a heavy kiss upon them. Riaris felt so free with her and he felt that their time together were endless. "Lead the way, I'd love to see what you have hidden on this island, and perhaps you will show me your magical talents as well."
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on May 22nd, 2013, 7:56 pm

Kavala didn't blame the Drykas, but she didn't disagree with Riaris either. Her life was difficult, but then again all the lives of the Drykas were. Would her life had been easier if the Drykas thought differently? Perhaps, but it was the truth she was Konti and that any children a Drykas would sire with her would never be human... and never help them to survive so she understood why her race meant less to them than straight human women did.

It saddened her, but it had set her free at the same time.

She was having fun, there was no doubt about that, but rather than answer him about the Drykas or respond to his question about fun, she simply tipped her head back and laughed a moment before throwing out the drag chains an anchors. There would be no doubt, no doubt at all, to Riaris that she was enjoying herself. She didn't even find the book boring, not like he did, because she soaked in the information, knowing someday they'd need if they kept sailing like she hoped. Her catamaran would be done soon - this season if she was right - and that needed some skill to sail, more than she had at this moment.

When he grabbed her, held her against him for a moment, and gazed into her eyes, she smiled up at him softly. Her whole expression changed as he bent down and kissed first one eyelid then the other, gently and protectively. She leaned into him for a moment, and rose on her toes to nuzzle his chin. They were virtually strangers, but there was a comfort in Riaris' presence and in his arms. It might have been that she wanted this sort of intimacy. It might also have been that none of his kind had ever spent time with her before just to spend time, because they wanted to get to know her, and that made her feel grateful beyond belief. She liked the newness of the relationship, the unknown of it, and that he didn't have any power over her other than what she gave him. Kavala was not his Naikvak. She was instead his companion, hopefully a new friend, and definitely someone he seemed to want to be with.

Her smile brightened and she stepped away, her eyes filled with her heart. Bending over the side of the little sailboat, she scooped up a rope trailing in the tide and ran it through one of the tie-downs on the side of the sailboat, hauling the ship closer to the steps that the waves splashed up on. She looped the rope tightly, weaving it over and under and making the sail boat secure and yet still able to swing with the tide. Then she grabbed her heavy pack and gestured to the stairs the boat lay tied along. The steps lead upwards to the west, though to the east was another set of steps, as if two ships or even through could tie up easily. Ropes trailed in the water just for that purpose.

"After you!" She said, stepping aside to let him pass. Then she tossed her pack to him, and jumped for the stairs afterwards, scrambling upwards to a gentle landing on the west side of the Island. A door hung on stone hinges hung to the east revealing a way into the stone the island was made out of. Kavala paused there, uncertain of what to show Riaris first. She reached out, gestured to the doorway, and res pooled in her hand as the stone beneath her hands dissolved and the door's firm stone locks vanished in a gust of wind to allow the door to swing open. The concentration was easy, transmuting stone to air to free the clever lock.

Kavala pushed the door open, letting the sunlight in, and let the space begin to air out. She walked in preceding Riaris and gathered lanterns and placing them on the hearth that was all but hidden in the darkness. Kavala forgot about the Akalak and their infravision. The Konti moved by feel and memory, the inside of the room very dark. She pulled her flint and steel from her belt pouch and knelt beneath a hearth where a fire was already laid but not lit, and carefully sparked the tinder there, lighting the fire. She blew on the tinder, and tucked it beneath the driftwood and flotsam already piled in the hearth. It caught in just a few minutes, dried seaweed in the fire helping it do so. Kavala then took a splinter of wood, and lit the oil lamps resting on the flagstone hearth, and moved about the room replacing them so that the place was well lit.

It was not a large space, not like her Sanctuary chambers, but it was elegantly furnished in a style that screamed relaxation and retreat. Done in deep jewel tones, the entire inside of the room was lined with labordite stone. A desk sat to one side, flanked on either end with a large shelf of books. Opposite of the hearth was an enormous bed set high on pedestal legs and dressed with jewel toned silks. Dark mosquito cloth draped either side, with nightstands flanking the headboard which was padded. There was a large wardrobe on one wall, and kneeling pillows scattered before the fire. The place whispered relaxation, privacy, and serenity but the walls told another story. They were lined with weapons as decorations, something that appealed to a male as much as it did a female. There was nothing to feminine nor masculine here, nothing that didn't absolutely reveal a part of the Konti's soul as being part warrior and part healer. And even though she'd designed the place as a center of healing, rest, and retreat it had also become a sanctuary of sorts, for those that loved blades and violence as well.

Kavala turned to him, her eyes curious about what he thought. They were here to escape the world for a day, perhaps even overnight. And she wondered if he would feel comfortable here.

"There's more above, a pavilion and more terraces. I can show you them next. But what do you think about this?"
She added.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on June 18th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Riaris was excited now that they had made it to the island. Kavala was a strong and capable woman, and one who didn't ask for help unless she couldn't do it on her own. He couldn't wait to see what her island looked like and what she had in store for them when they arrived. Riaris could watch her for hours, days. She was so used to being the leader and doing it all herself, it was an interesting thing to see. Akalak's worked together more so than alone, and even with his work at the shipyard or in the lodge it was the same. Family life at home wasn't much different either, and a lot of things were done with others.

Once they were all set to go, Riaris started to pick up Kavala's bag, but she got to it before him. He didn't make a fuss, having learned days ago that there was a bit of Akalak in the woman, or at least it seemed that there was. The Akalak jumped off and landed on the steps and it wasl then that Kavala tossed him her pack to carry. Riaris caught it and lightly slung it over his shoulder while he waited for her to make her landing. Riaris looked around after making sure that she was off the boat safely and took in the sights.

"I think I like it already. Perhaps we should just move here, and leave them to their own."

He smiled as he said this, still feeling himself in a bit of a jovial mood. Of course he nor Kavala would leave their families, but it was a mischievous idea spurred on by their fun adventure. Riaris watched as she reached out towards the door and caused a gust of wind to sweep away the locks on the door. The Akalak watched curiously, wondering if he had just saw what he thought he had. It was an unique way to lock up a place, that was for sure. "Is everything you don't do with such flair, dear Kavala?"

Riaris followed her inside and set her pack down close to the door where it wouldn't be in the way, then turned and walked further inside to look around. He waited for Kavala to set things up as she wanted and took the time instead to just look around them. His gaze turned back towards the door, and to the island beyond. It seemed like a peaceful place, and somewhere to go to get away from it all. "I can only imagine what you've done with the place. And all this on your own?" The Akalak stepped around the room once Kavala had lit the hearth and looked it over again in the new light.

"I like it a lot, it's not what I expected it to look like. But It certainly is better than what I imagined."

With a smile Riaris wrapped his arms around the woman and once again lifted her up and into his arms, where he could taste her lips again. It was her place, and her island, but she chose to share it with him as their somewhat private getaway. Riaris smiled as he kissed her lips, then neck, even lifting her up higher for a more intimate kiss before digging his face into her breasts. "I want to see it all, every inch of this island, and then..once that is done. Perhaps I could see the same of you."

Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Kavala on July 21st, 2013, 5:47 pm

Kavala laughed as he Riaris caught her in his arms and lifted her up. His kiss was solid, firm, even a bit rough but she liked that about him. He was unashamed of his affections and she was the target of them at every opportunity. She arched her neck and gave him access as he kissed her gills and then held her higher so he could bury his face in her chest. Kavala groaned, let go of his shoulders, and reached down to pull her sleeveless tunic off over her head, baring her entire torso to Riaris’ affections. They were alone on the island. No one was around for miles. There was no need for clothing, not now, not even later. This was part of their get away time. It was going to be their chance to get to know one another, and even if Kavala anticipated they’d be joining a great deal, she was fine with that.

Sex to her had always had a purpose; reproduction. She’d been under contract to provide her body to someone at any given time of their need. Here though, she was something more. Riaris wanted her for her, and not for what she could give him unless she was grossly mistaken. It felt good, empowering even, that he couldn’t keep his hands off her and that she had the right at any time to say no. And that was the clencher. She didn’t want to say no, not ever, not to him. When before the act was just wooden, methodical, and routine. Riaris was teaching her about lust. And with him, she had lust in obscene amounts.

She stroked his hair and kissed his head as he feasted on her chest. Had they been a little less dressed, Kavala would have joined their bodies together immediately and trusted Riaris to carry her weight. But instead she simply whispered… “This is our vacation… our time away. Is there any need for clothing? I’m not shy. If you put me down, I’ll finish the tour and do so without a stitch on.” She said, squirming in his arms until she finally got him to set her down.

Her hands dropped to her waist and she turned away from him, so her back was facing him, and peeked over her shoulder. Long slender fingers slid down her hips and deftly pulled a soft kidskin boot off her foot. The second was soon to follow, and then slowly came her leather britches. She stripped slowly, teasing him, her glances challenging until nothing blocked his view of her body and the shimmering scales that flowed down and around her form.

“Your turn.” She said softly, stepping back, leaning against the wardrobe, her eyes flashing amusement. "Then we can finish the tour." She added, her lips curling up into a smile.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sailors Life For Me!

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on August 6th, 2013, 4:04 am

There was something to be said about the attraction between them. It was like an invisible force that drew one towards the other. When his need for her rose, it seemed that hers rose for him as well. Not once had he thought, or wanted to turn her away, and he was glad to see that she felt the same. Riaris had wanted to be gentle for her as he had said in the past, but there was something about the woman that brought out the animal like urges within him, and he just had to have her.

Riaris enjoyed the softness of her skin against his lips, the strange, and yet tickling feeling of the gills as he kissed them too. She was so small in his arms, and her body seemed to curve into his at the right places. Riaris kissed at her neck more and moved his hands up and down her slender back. When she removed her tunic, the Akalak kissed her gently and raced his tongue along the supple curves to try and perk them up.

The Konti's words tickled his ears, and the thoughts that crashed his mind from her idea was met with a smirk and a generous rhythmic thrusting from his hips against hers. Kavala was smart and sharp in many ways, and she always knew just what to say or do to get the right reaction out of him. "Right, we were going to tour.." he chuckled and let her down. He watched as she moved away and started to teasingly undress in front of him. It was quiet the show, and the curiosity of what she would do next was the only thing that kept him from going after her right away.

He didn't speak, no words could explain the excitement and raw passion that was created when ever they were near each other. However, there was no way that he could match her seductiveness and the way that she undressed for him. The Akalak reached for the bottom of his shirt and turned his fingers into it and lifted it up over his head. The action had been so fast and swift that the discard shirted flipped and twirled itself around his arm. Riaris kept his eyes on Kavala, mostly looking into her eyes, though his did wander here and there.

He kicked his boots off, and with both hands unbuckled his pants, while slipping fingers into the trim of his underwear at the same time. In one fluid motion his pushed his pants down and stepped out of them both. They were now both nude, though Riaris boar the visual excitement that he had whenever he touched and kissed her. "Alright then, lead the way."

Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

PreviousNext